DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Yodha

India is my Identity
Country flag
They will get mad if we improve upon it or branch off from it and export but this risk is not very high considering our track record. We will produce this for another 100 years like Ambassdor or simply buy German like for Arjun

These engines have lived their life, the UTD 20 is used for all BMP models and the new age requires us to have engines with more power, sensor information processing, configurable RPM and many more and last but not least we need to have automatic transmission system like the bradley

omaebakabaka

These engines have lived their life, the UTD 20 is used for all BMP models and the new age requires us to have engines with more power, sensor information processing, configurable RPM and many more and last but not least we need to have automatic transmission system like the bradley
I read somewhere that manuals are better in Russian tundra than autos but even their new IFV's and Kuranets and Armata seems to be auto....we will mostly import trans and power plants as there is no line to develop it indigenously but potential is there with tata

Aniruddha Mulay

They will get mad if we improve upon it or branch off from it and export but this risk is not very high considering our track record. We will produce this for another 100 years like Ambassdor or simply buy German like for Arjun
Apparently the 118 Arjun Mk1A on order are going to be integrated with the CVRDE 1500hp engine.

omaebakabaka

Apparently the 118 Arjun Mk1A on order are going to be integrated with the CVRDE 1500hp engine.
I hope these do make it but when I saw some of those IFV's at the defexpo they are cummins engines even if made in India which means not totally indigenous necessarily. I am hoping TATA would take the lead though as a private player that already has big dibs in motors.

Blood+

Country flag
Abrams hull ammo vents through the bottom. But yeah, if that detonates chances of crew survival is nil anyway. Hull floor blowout notwithstanding.
Nah, they HAD actually tested it and determined that the crew would likely survive in case the ammo in hull stowage cooks off assuming the blow-off panels work as intended.

But never the less, it was standard practice among the crews to leave the hull racks empty anyway. In fact, in many cases, the crew would remove the ammo storage bins and then use that space to store their personal belongings like weapons and stuff, if Nicholas 'Nick The Chieftain' Moran is to be believed.

The reason other tanks like Leopard 2 and Arjuns do not have blow-off panels installed in their hull ammo compartment is due to the simple fact that unlike in the Abrams, where the hull racks are located behind the crew compartment (thereby eliminating the dilemma of having to compromise frontal protection), these tanks have got them right in the front.
This means, as @Okabe Rintarou , had said earlier, you can neither add the panels on the hull roof without compromising the armor protection of the upper glacis nor you can place them in the floor without leaving yourself vulnerable to anti-tank mines.

The reason why no tank has a solution for this is because you cannot create a foolproof armour scheme without shooting through 80 tonnes of weight,
True but the Abrams actually comes the closest to a full-proof system and they achieved it by shifting the entire ammo stowage to that isolated turret bustle, thereby giving the crew the maximum possibility to survive a catastrophic kill.
you have to compromise somewhere, and hull seems to be the default choice.
Yes, which is a flawed logic and is completely unnecessary as has been shown by the Americans!!
in a shooting match, the tank and crew with better situational awareness will win,
Not always. For example, let's say you are in a T-90S and spot an Abrams ~1500 meters out but you've only been supplied with BM-42 Mango rounds, in which case, there's practically nothing you can do about it unless the Abrams gives its broadside to you. But I do get your point.
regardless of whether he is in merkava or t72. After all no tank can survive a side shot.
Exactly. Well, actually, the Merkava MkIV has got really thick armor on the sides of their turrets as well, so it may in fact, survive a side hit from older generation rounds.

Jambudweepa

Country flag
using c-17 to strike ships and jets

throwing air-to-ship and air-to-air missiles off the back of a c-17

project name 'rapid dragon' , :hmm: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Usa india had singned a mou to develop air lunched uav last year .

Google showed me few other news from recent months while searching for it .

India tested Lotering munition at 4.5km altitude

Indian startup develops barrel lunched loitering munition .

Articles