DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
[
DRDO has long held habit of downplaying range of its missiles, so that 6000km number might aswell be true.
The public specifications of the K-4 SLBM do seem to match that of the Polaris A-3 SLBM which was in service with the US Navy and Royal Navy from 1964 to 1980.
The Polaris A-3 had a range of 4600km, so given the advancements in rocket design, rocket motor efficiency, construction materials 50 years after the Polaris was test fired it would not be outlandish if the K-4 SLBM actually had a range of 5000-6000km if not more.
Nope. One major advance of K-4 missile over the Agni series was replacement of maraging steel by composite materials for the casing. Polaris already had an all-composite casing 40-50 years ago.
Missile guidance tech has improved leaps and bounds, but propulsion, not that much. It has improved, but we are still quite a bit behind I think.

binayak95

Country flag
I am not supporting the Russian folks. But I believe the usage of autoloader back at that time is useful for the Russians/Soviets since it requires a less man since HR is a problem in SU/Russia. Combine with Soviet engineering of building in a relatively simple fashion rather than a complex design they decided to use this design present in current T- series. But with the advancement of ATGM's this is becoming a bane for the tanks.
This is also well understood by Russians and they tried to modernize it via T-14 family of combat systems which is clearly trying to sort the issues of older T series tanks and BMP IFV's. But lack of fund forced them to fight with T-90, T-72 and BMP.

But at present we can hold Pak formation but against China it will a nightmare since their new Tanks have some edge against us.
The lack on manpower being the reason for autoloaders is a myth. The T64 (which introduced the carousel system) was at its time, the best tank in service anywhere. Heck the T62's 115mm APFSDS was punching cleanly through the front and turret of the Chieftain (nato's best tank at the time) The T64 was designed to culminate all the lessons of the Soviets in WWII.

Remember this is before the introduction of modern FCS and sights, so smaller size meant a harder to hit, easier to hide tank.

Also the biggest volume user inside a tank is the crew; by removing the loader, the internal volume becomes less meaning you can have more armour for the less weight.

The T64 however became something of a bug bear- too complicated for the then tech. Thus the tank bifurcated into the cheap and mass produced T72 and the elite tank guards' T80.

binayak95

Country flag
Ok, lets stop here gentlemen. How about you both forget that argument and tell me your take on this new Armata concept of unprotected turret and a separate armoured crew compartment. Should we go down that route in the FMBT/NGMBT/FRCV/<whatever replaces the T-72>?

Those are in the turret bustle. He is showing you the hull storage where you do not and can not have blowout panels.
Oh fuck no. Look at the abramsX concept. Fuck everything else.

binayak95

Country flag
@Aniruddha Mulay , @omaebakabaka , Guys, what @Okabe Rintarou said actually makes a lot of sense. I mean think about it, even the Leopard 2A7s do not have blow-out panels installed in their hull ammo racks. Heck, there's not a single tank model in active service (that I can think of anyway) with a similar ammo stowage setup that has this feature. Why do you think that is?? I mean if we can come up with such an idea, surely those guys could as well, no??
Abrams hull ammo vents through the bottom. But yeah, if that detonates chances of crew survival is nil anyway. Hull floor blowout notwithstanding.

The reason why no tank has a solution for this is because you cannot create a foolproof armour scheme without shooting through 80 tonnes of weight, you have to compromise somewhere, and hull seems to be the default choice. in a shooting match, the tank and crew with better situational awareness will win, regardless of whether he is in merkava or t72. After all no tank can survive a side shot.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The last test i remember , was tested for 150km . And we have been hearing abt the engine for several years . The testing must go on .
Not tested for 150 km, but it failed after 150km. Now question is, was it because of engine or something else?

But there must be parallel development with involvement of private companies as well. Abt private sector nt investing in R nd D . Where ll funding come from . Unless it is big name like TATA . Govt has to handhold , provide required infra in early stages . Why do we complain abt talent migration then .
Regarding parallel development. Has Government placed some kind of sanction or withhold private companies from doing it? (I am talking about present here, not what was there a decade back).

Coming to funding part. Why you think government wants private industry to get involve? If government has to fund the project, it would overall fail the whole objective of private industry involvement. As opposed to popular belief, PMO is not untouchable. They are also answerable to audit committee. They simply can't go on and fund two different entity for a single project.

Funding would be through the development agency i.e, DRDO in our case. DRDO provides funding for tech development. But for that too, you have to approach DRDO. Now question is, how many ToT invitation gets response from private industries? Only the MSMEs do approach for ToT, the big guns are happy with JV as the return in the later case is huge.

Jambudweepa

Country flag
Not tested for 150 km, but it failed after 150km. Now question is, was it because of engine or something else?

Regarding parallel development. Has Government placed some kind of sanction or withhold private companies from doing it? (I am talking about present here, not what was there a decade back).

Coming to funding part. Why you think government wants private industry to get involve? If government has to fund the project, it would overall fail the whole objective of private industry involvement. As opposed to popular belief, PMO is not untouchable. They are also answerable to audit committee. They simply can't go on and fund two different entity for a single project.

Funding would be through the development agency i.e, DRDO in our case. DRDO provides funding for tech development. But for that too, you have to approach DRDO. Now question is, how many ToT invitation gets response from private industries? Only the MSMEs do approach for ToT, the big guns are happy with JV as the return in the later case is huge.
Do you know what model works between hal and new space (i dnt knw) ? Whatever it is , it seems working . Shd be copied by others .

Chinmoy

Country flag
Do you know what model works between hal and new space (i dnt knw) ? Whatever it is , it seems working . Shd be copied by others .

Read again what I've written.

Funding would be through the development agency i.e, DRDO in our case.
I've written the exact same thing. Another example is ISRO-Godrej.

Jambudweepa

Country flag
Read again what I've written.

I've written the exact same thing. Another example is ISRO-Godrej.
So you were saying you have problem with this model all along . Fine . I am ok with it . As long as problems gets solved , technology gets developed . I am fine with any model .

Articles