DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

abingdonboy

Country flag
To be honest I don't expect any Private cos to perform better than Drdo in case of high cost complex projects. For FICV, I believe Drdo AarTV for which rfi was recently released would be a far better machine, though it would take a few years to come out.
For people who don't know this L&T so called FICV has no Drdo inputs in it.
For the most cutting edge things I doubt private companies have the expertise particularly on R&D but private players should be used as the production partners (like WhAP and ATAGS)

that said FICV is not particularly high end, it’s not something that private players don’t have the means to produce, they will get whatever expertise and capabilities they need to make it happen.

if FICV options are cr@p it’s not the fault of the companies but the garbage specs that the IA have created

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 176517

Just one word.
Orgasmic.

The Bharat Forge variant of Atags mated to a Tatra T815 with a Beml designed armoured cab. This will be ordered in hundreds once the Atags towed howitzer enters service.
Let’s hope so, IA’s requirement when they floated a buy global bid (imports) was 814 units, let’s see how many they end up ordering now it’s not an option to buy abroad

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Still looks pretty crude, nothing "futuristic" about it. It looks like BMP-2 salesmen trying to scam me off by telling me it is a completely new platform.
Well, I disagree.

This is a step change from what the IA Mechanised infantry is used to. I reckon you haven't seen a BMP-2 up close, touched it and peeked inside the troop compartment. One look and walkaround of the latest BMP-2K variant that OFB Medak makes will make you change your mind.

Screenshot_20221016-025709.png

Screenshot_20221016-030318.png

OFB has been making this exact same BMP since 1984 . All they have done is some cosmetic improvements in the form of newer optics. And they have indigenised the various aggregates and assemblies including the 300 hp engine.Else everything is the exact same. And we are in 2022 .
How can those boffins who have cracked IES , entered the IOFS stream produce the same thing for 38 years is beyond me.

Look at the Syrian Arab army. Even their various units have done various DIY armour upgraded in the form of mesh screens, additional armour plating of the sides and rear doors ,etc.

And here we have a govt owned institution which keeps on churning out the same stuff.

The L&T FICV is for starters, wider than the BMP-2. It is leagues ahead of the super BMP that the Einsteins and Heisenbergs at OFB have designed for the FICV tender. The L&T also offers more space for the troops besides modular add on passive armour packages . The BMP-2 is super cramped. Has stanag 2 level ballistic protection for the troop compartment. Only the front can withstand 14.5 to 30 mm hits. The rear doors and sides won't be able to withstand anything more than API 7.62mm . The Soviets used to fill sand for extra protection inside those fuel tanks in the rear doors.

I mean i could go on and on . On the BMP-2.

Even our M4 Kalyani offers better all around ballistic protection and comfort for the carried troops. It weighs more than the 14.2 ton BMP and isn't underpowered.

Yet the IA keeps on placing orders for the Sarath.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Well, I disagree.

This is a step change from what the IA Mechanised infantry is used to. I reckon you haven't seen a BMP-2 up close, touched it and peeked inside the troop compartment. One look and walkaround of the latest BMP-2K variant that OFB Medak makes will make you change your mind.

View attachment 176524
View attachment 176525

OFB has been making this exact same BMP since 1984 . All they have done is some cosmetic improvements in the form of newer optics. And they have indigenised the various aggregates and assemblies including the 300 hp engine.Else everything is the exact same. And we are in 2022 .
How can those boffins who have cracked IES , entered the IOFS stream produce the same thing for 38 years is beyond me.

Look at the Syrian Arab army. Even their various units have done various DIY armour upgraded in the form of mesh screens, additional armour plating of the sides and rear doors ,etc.

And here we have a govt owned institution which keeps on churning out the same stuff.

The L&T FICV is for starters, wider than the BMP-2. It is leagues ahead of the super BMP that the Einsteins and Heisenbergs at OFB have designed for the FICV tender. The L&T also offers more space for the troops besides modular add on passive armour packages . The BMP-2 is super cramped. Has stanag 2 level ballistic protection for the troop compartment. Only the front can withstand 14.5 to 30 mm hits. The rear doors and sides won't be able to withstand anything more than API 7.62mm . The Soviets used to fill sand for extra protection inside those fuel tanks in the rear doors.

I mean i could go on and on . On the BMP-2.

Even our M4 Kalyani offers better all around ballistic protection and comfort for the carried troops. It weighs more than the 14.2 ton BMP and isn't underpowered.

Yet the IA keeps on placing orders for the Sarath.
Ok, the thing is what is exactly futuristic stuff we should be seeing in a ICV to call it a FICV. Here are some of the things that come to my mind, integration of UAVs and loitering munitions, integration with Battlefield management system, enhanced optics and situationional awareness systems like tonbo Wolfpack, programmable ammunition from main gun, active protection system, unmanned turret, light weight high protection Armor system, anti drone system or drone protection and a few more.

Now, this F-ICV has nothing sort of that as of now so basically it is nothing worth the value to even think about and see it as an alternative to BMP2 and an upgraded BMP2 will work just fine for a few more years.

I think the objective of showing this vehicle is to show that they are capable of producing basic modern armored vehicles. The final product which can compete in a competition is still ways off.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
AMCA scale model with Asraam, Astra mk2, Spice 2000, Scalp class cruise missile , Griffin LGB on the outside hardpoints.

FfQ25S6X0AEBdAM.jpeg

FfQ27axWAA02HvM.jpeg

FfQ26XQXEAIIuHX.jpeg

Two SAAW and 1 Astra mk2 in the left side compartment of the IWB and 1 TARA and 1 Astra mk2 on the left. Didn't knew that the IWB had a separating bulkhead.

The most interesting thing is dual carriage of Astra on a single hardpoint.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Now here's an important discovery. Spent some time on this.

FfQ28YCWQAEtGTy.jpeg

If you compare the two Astra missiles being carried on a single pylon with the regular Astra mk1, you will find that some distance away from the seeker, the missile body gradually increases in dia. The vanilla Astra had the same dia cylindrical body through out.

Now I compared this with

swarajya_2022-10_89ac71b0-2a4f-408a-8a8c-cab6460839e5_FeNs0FEaYAMzO3U__1_.jpg

If you look very closely for some time, you will see there's a slight increase in missile body dia in a gradual manner just forward of those strakes.

So Astra mk2 will be a bit heavier than mk1 and it's more than double range can also be attributed to a larger volume solid rocket motor besides it being dual pulse and also the miniaturisation of some of the missile avionics including the onboard comp.

Articles