DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Arihant Roy

Country flag
@Chinmoy
You have once again proved your "DEFLATED INTELLIGENCE " .

Here it is.

I have inflated ego or not, but you have a deflated intelligence. Could you guide me to one instance or para where anyone in your tagged article or video mentioned about launch angle?

And you know why you have a deflated intelligence? Because in practical sense, you can't launch a long range BVRAAM horizontally unless and untill you are flying at a much higher altitude then the target. Even then there would be a 5 to 10 degree of high AoA.
If you are so intelligent, go and find the answer why.
First, what launch angle are you talking about???

The whole point of this debate was that some bvraam missiles climbs to a higher altitude after launch. The launch aircraft can be at a much lower altitude while the missile can climb up and cruise at a rarefied atmosphere and just before entering the seeker acquisition range , the missile dives down on its target .

I have posted countless articles and videos which explicitly mentions that wrt AIM-54. Even the RIO mentions it.

Secondly, don't try to teach me physics pls .
The link which you posted shows the interrelation between thrust vectoring of the launch air aircraft, AoA and the missile kinematics itself. No aircraft uses TVC at transonic speeds where you generally launch a bvraam missile.

Go through the article and it speaks about the effective of wvraam in close in combat when coupled with launch aircraft thrust vectoring. Again i had reiterated since ages , that launch angle or AoA matters only for wvraam since they launch straight from the rail and in close in combat situations.

Show me a paragraph where it explicitly states that BVR missiles are launched at high AoA.

Thirdly , as for the PHMT, from which you posted that pic of high alpha launch, the project never did take off. The missile wasn't fired.

So no high alpha launch of a bvraam ever took place in history .

Here go through this.
https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/nasas-plan-to-use-an-f-15-to-launch-hypersonic-phoenix-missiles/

Fourthly, An AoA of 5 to 10 degree isn't considered to be launching at an angle. This isn't an air to ground weapon being launched in ccip or ccrp that you have to fly at a straight heading within certain dive angles or straight or nose up to lob off your bomb like they do for tactical nukes.

Besides, show me a single video where the pilot pitches up his nose for a high alpha and lobs off the bvr missile.

ALSO pls explain why does a Phoenix flies to a higher altitude of 80k ft after launch anywhere from 25-30000ft? Why?? This was the entire point of the debate.

A person who doesn't know shit about AIM-54 Phoenix won't be lecturing me on bvraam and missile kinematics .

And let me repeat. Astra MK3 WILL HAVE A RANGE UPWARDS OF 300 KM .

So pls, sit down. Don't insult your deflated sense of intelligence. You still have ways to go when it comes to ACM, jets and air to air missiles.

Last edited:

Arihant Roy

Country flag
@Chinmoy

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44473121

After two weeks of searching Google, this is the best you can do.... :rofl:

If you are as intelligent as you pretend to be , pls kindly post a video where the fighter ac is launching a bvr missile with his nose pitched up like how the Russian Su-25 are now delivering unguided S-13 rockets from a distance.

Do watch from 1:00 to 1:10.

Okay, I will make it easy for you.

Post any DCS gameplay vid or tutorial showing the advantages of launching a BVR missile be it AIM-7 / AIM-120/AIM-54/ R-27 / R-23 /R-77 / R-33 at high alpha ie by pitching up the nose in the manner of the Su-25 in the video.

Chinmoy

Country flag
More imports that's it
This completely shows that our pm and rm have no control over their import hungry gernails
It would be around 50 to 60 mill $.

What you expect would come at that price from foreign OEM? On top of that this would be from their allocated budget which means they could only go for off the self purchase of small items.

On brighter side, it also means that, indigenous products would not have to go through the tedious RFI, RFP procedures. The likes of small surveillance, swarm or suicidal drones could now be procured hassle free.

binayak95

Country flag
@Chinmoy

If you are as intelligent as you pretend to be , pls kindly post a video where the fighter ac is launching a bvr missile with his nose pitched up like how the Russian Su-25 are now delivering unguided S-13 rockets from a distance.

Post any DCS gameplay vid or tutorial showing the advantages of launching a BVR missile be it AIM-7 / AIM-120/AIM-54/ R-27 / R-23 /R-77 / R-33 at high alpha ie by pitching up the nose in the manner of the Su-25 in the video.
Why are you arguing this point.

1661337199068.png

the pitch up at high AoA to tackle very high flying targets is a well known procedure. And both Air Marshal Harish Masand and Air Cmde Bundal Tyagi talk about it in the FPP episodes on the MIG 29 and 21.

This was done when intercepting U2/Sr71/MiG31 class of aircraft

omaebakabaka

I have not studied any cruise missile beyond nirbhay , nor do i have the interest

You can try doing so and inform us of your conclusion regarding same

Personally i doubt it will be same as there will/might be variations
Not really, I am not in that field and too old to get into one. Any of my comments around defence equipment or ops on this forum are mostly million foot opinions only. Some other topics my observations are more personal and professional opinions but there is no one professional opinion or method either in the world.

Since you generally post fairly interesting stuff, I did not get the intent of this as its neither detailed nor anything groundbreaking upon glancing read but you may have skipped out details?

omaebakabaka

View attachment 168927

the pitch up at high AoA to tackle very high flying targets is a well known procedure. And both Air Marshal Harish Masand and Air Cmde Bundal Tyagi talk about it in the FPP episodes on the MIG 29 and 21.

This was done even recently by RUAF in Ukraine, I did not understand but it made sense why later on....

omaebakabaka

@Chinmoy

I think I saw SU-35 video doing the high AOA attack but in general why would you do that for BVR and that too air to air?

binayak95

Country flag
I think I saw SU-35 video doing the high AOA attack but in general why would you do that for BVR and that too air to air?
slight increase in max range. useful when your missile is being vectored to a target painted by an AWACS or some such, and the target is a tanker/transport

Arihant Roy

Country flag

View attachment 168927

This is a F-15 launching a A-135 . It's meant to target low earth satellites and not other aircrafts .

Have watched Tyagi's FPP episode recently. Haven't heard anything on high AoA launches.

I have also watched Harish Masand's FPP but that was some time back.

If you can point out the exact moment where Harish says so, it will be great.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
slight increase in max range. useful when your missile is being vectored to a target painted by an AWACS or some such, and the target is a tanker/transport
There isn't any such video.

If you have it, pls share it over here.

That video of Su-35 shows it launching 2 R-77-1 at targets well below the altitude of Su-35S. The missile arcs downwards after launch.

mokoman

Country flag

View attachment 168927

f-15 launching an anti-sat missile , Russians have something similar too rite.

:lehappy: why dont we ?

omaebakabaka

In theory yes but wonder if it makes any difference with in NEZ targets for guided and powered missiles. Unguided or semi powered perhaps.....but I guess there may be some situations, wonder if its useful in close pursuit air to air interactions (not necessarily dog fighting in classic terms) but radar lock close not gun close in a n:n fighter battle with a fighter pulling up and the need to fire at that point....guided missiles have to be algorithmically aware of high AOA mode I guess

omaebakabaka

f-15 launching an anti-sat missile , Russians have something similar too rite.

:lehappy: why dont we ?
Let's not go for pie in the sky, may be when we get our own kaveri that can power AMCA. Most often those are generally special mods too like mig-31k

binayak95

Country flag
This is a F-15 launching a A-135 . It's meant to target low earth satellites and not other aircrafts .

Have watched Tyagi's FPP episode recently. Haven't heard anything on high AoA launches.

I have also watched Harish Masand's FPP but that was some time back.

If you can point out the exact moment where Harish says so, it will be great.
I know thats an ASAT launch. My point was its done only and only to engage Sr71/MiG25/U2 class of bird going at near 90k feet.

And watch the FPP audio on your own. Dont really have time

Articles