Heli-
LCH/TAI ATAK
LUH/ No equivalent
ALH/TAI T625
IMRH/T925
No equivalent/t629
No equivalent/t929
And this is excluding drones.

They are slowly catching up. I will still say that the process of design,development , government approval and production of both tk and sk are superior to us. Both of them adhere to timelines more than us.
You got the whole analogy lopsided. It's India thats doing the catching up.

Turkey being a NATO memeber state has more access to Western LRUs & subsystems for their weapons platforms. Which greatly helps in their product development as well as production timeline.

And same goes for South Korea. Which became of the non proliferation treaty can only work on conventional solutions for it's Nuclear Armed neighbor. That's why the stellar progress in SSKs, Tanks etc.

On the other hand in case of India there was a complete disregard among the Legislature & ignorance among the general public on indigenization of defence equipments.

Remember reading articles in 2014-15 on how Tejas will never enter production & stuff. Even the Air force kept simping on Su57 till 2018. Now that they have no other options left AMCA is on table.

Only now is there is an intent among the top leadership for indigenous weapons manufacturing. Though we will have to look out for actual execution of these programs.

The Saffron Knight

Country flag
What 32 ships ? IN only import boats we are unable to produce, for example AC, Minesweepers, SSK, SSN, LHD, etc and with tech transfer, and yes, brought Deepak-class fleet tanker with out tech, so new tender with tech.
ROK Navy having 19 ssk, 12 ddg, 14 ffg,2 lph etc and majority of their ships build in Korea, and major exporter.
In military manufacturing, US, Russia, China, France, UK, Germany, Italy and Japan having their own industries and capability, and Brazil- don't they import majority of high tech tech ?
IMG_20220604_150824.jpg

radion

Country flag
You got the whole analogy lopsided. It's India thats doing the catching up.

Turkey being a NATO memeber state has more access to Western LRUs & subsystems for their weapons platforms. Which greatly helps in their product development as well as production timeline.

And same goes for South Korea. Which became of the non proliferation treaty can only work on conventional solutions for it's Nuclear Armed neighbor. That's why the stellar progress in SSKs, Tanks etc.

On the other hand in case of India there was a complete disregard among the Legislature & ignorance among the general public on indigenization of defence equipments.

Remember reading articles in 2014-15 on how Tejas will never enter production & stuff. Even the Air force kept simping on Su57 till 2018. Now that they have no other options left AMCA is on table.

Only now is there is an intent among the top leadership for indigenous weapons manufacturing. Though we will have to look out for actual execution of these programs.
Oh so basically they have lesser stuff to focus on so they excel whereas we have to do more broad work so delays and all that. I agree.
But there is still some rot left in govt and the companies that have yet to be cleared.

By June this year we should start flying the LCA MK-1A configuration.
HAL CMD said this in January this year. Do you think this timeline will be met?

The Saffron Knight

Country flag
But there is still some rot left in govt and the companies that have yet to be cleared.
Agreed
By June this year we should start flying the LCA MK-1A configuration.
HAL CMD said this in January this year. Do you think this timeline will be met?
Maybe possible considering the Tejas air frame is currently undergoing fatigue test, so maybe they have introduced all the modifications that were necessary for Mk1A prototype. So rollout should not take much time.

And also as the orders are already placed so any delay in delivery time would be penalized. There is an actual clause in the contact regarding that.

I am more concerned about the Tejas Mk2 prototype. The funds have not yiet been allocated by DAC & HAL is utilising residual funds from previous projects. Any delay in Tejas Mk2 would only help the import lobby on MRCA.

Last edited:

johnj

@radion You are just too intelligent a person to reason with.

Which country hands over the security of their country to a 3rd party ? Maybe a country that doesn't have a spine, but lets not go there.

Which country doesn't need ICBMs or Nuclear powered submarines ?Maybe the ones who are contractually obligated to not have them.

Do Nuclear weapons come free for those who have it ?

Leave that where is the Vikrant class equivalent military asset of these countries ?

Well who needs Russia. Do you know how World War 2 ended ?

Do you have a doubt in case there is an actual war between India & Pakistan that nuclear weapons will not be used ? Do you think Pakistanis will act like sitting ducks as we tear appart their country ? Absolute not both sides will go nuclear.

Because PoK is already heavily militarised & because of its proximity with Rawalpindi . They may field their tactical Nukes there. So the response may also be nuclear. Though only time will tell that.

Well at the end I would like to say.

While you were simping on South Korea & Turkey you aswered your own question on why India lacks the screw driver giri industry similar to them.

The answer is simple When you don't bear the security burden of your own country & offset it to a 3rd party you can invest in exotic systems for exports.
''The answer is simple When you don't bear the security burden of your own country & offset it to a 3rd party you can invest in exotic systems for exports. '' - a major issue having US as allay, Japan case is similar.
Screw driver giri - we do Screw driver giri and not them.
Nuclear weapons, we tested first not Pak, and I don't think Russia use nuke against China. We needed nuke to counter both China and US. Japan and SK need US to counter Russia and China. Turkey having US nuclear weapons in heir country.
Nuclear weapons is the major category DRDO done right, and second to none.
In non Nuclear weapons, we are behind most of them[except Turkey & SK] and mainly do Screw driver giri and Russian tech is back bone of our Screw driver giri, for Turkey its business and SK similar and for their needs, they can get military fire power from US and NATO, but we fight alone, no external fire power, means they can live with out local military industry and we can't.
But the main topic is fighter jets, the main point is I can see how they are ahead of us, if any one consider South Korea, KFX is forth gen, and not 5th gen currently and AMCA mk1 is 5th gen and mk2 5.5th gen. and in the case of Turkey, they got engines, lol, we already having them for MWF and AMCA use same/similar one and most of the system under trial/development or tested.
India ahead of Turkey and South Korea in aerospace and aeronautical category, and only issue is engine and they need foreign help.

johnj

View attachment 158689
That's what I'm saying - Indian shipyards, not foreign, and it exclude tender won by turkey and Korea, also exclude Russian vessels, but include French, and building with in our capacity and HSL, GSL can handle more.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Country flag
They are slowly catching up. I will still say that the process of design,development , government approval and production of both tk and sk are superior to us. Both of them adhere to timelines more than us.
You can't compare apple to oranges. Extent of R&D in components and sub-components is strictly limited in case of Turkey especially. Subcomponent development is what makes Indians project delayed where everything is attempted to be developed in-house while off-shelf bought avionics work in case of others.
It's not a model for emulation for
sure.
They aren't catching up but both our states are in different league with different global pedestals with different goals.

ShukantC

Country flag
By the way to the people in the know apart from a flying test bed what other different type of jet engine testing infra is still missing in the Country ?

karn

Country flag
By the way to the people in the know apart from a flying test bed what other different type of jet engine testing infra is still missing in the Country ?
High altitude test facilities for jet engines... Already have that for rockets though.

The Saffron Knight

Country flag
In a GTRE webinar held in January Mr M Z Siddiqui director GTRE informed these particular requirements.
  • Module level test facility - Fan & compressor test facility - current capacity 5.5 mW. Required capacity 20mW.
  • Full Engine Test facility - available -90kN. Requirement 110-130kN.
  • Containment Test facility - for certification of civil engine.
  • High Altitude Test facility - requires 90mW power, huge water reserve & 60-70 acre land.
  • High Air mass flow facility - for combustor, afterburner & turbine section ( module level & full engine )
  • Flying test bed.
Cost evaluation -
  • Fan & compressor test facility - 650-700cr
  • High Air mass flow facility - 2000cr
  • High Altitude Test facility -4000cr
  • Flying Testbed - cost not evalated
Prograss in setting up these facilities -
  • Twin test cell for testing 120kN engine (with help from foreign OEM) 28 acre of land identified. Will require 3-3.5 years to operationalize after signing of contract.
  • High Altitude Test facility - Land identified in Nagarjuna Sagar Telengana. Apparently the deal didn't materializeat at the end, but there is constant efforts from GTREs side.
Funds are also required to upgrade the manufacturing facilities for the Engine components like drums, turbine blades etc.

The full specifications of all these test facilities have already been drawn out & submitted to GoI for approval.

So apparently close to 1 Billion $ invest is required to just setup the new test facility required for development , testing & certification of AMCA engine.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Jets-
LCA/hurjet
AMCA/TAI TFX
MWF/ No equivalent
TEBDF/ No eauivalent
Heli-
LCH/TAI ATAK
LUH/ No equivalent
ALH/TAI T625
IMRH/T925
No equivalent/t629
No equivalent/t929
And this is excluding drones.

When foreign companies like Leonardo and BAE Systems basically handholds your entire defense industry. Allowing you to rebrand existing crap with minor changes, be it attack helicopters, cruise missiles or MBTs. You too can brag about being "ahead" of India which is not interested in being a charlatan and then bragging about it. Same with the Koreans, why are they bragging about the KF-21, when Lockheed basically gave them a design based on the Raptor on a silver platter.

radion

Country flag
When foreign companies like Leonardo and BAE Systems basically handholds your entire defense industry. Allowing you to rebrand existing crap with minor changes, be it attack helicopters, cruise missiles or MBTs. You too can brag about being "ahead" of India which is not interested in being a charlatan and then bragging about it. Same with the Koreans, why are they bragging about the KF-21, when Lockheed basically gave them a design based on the Raptor on a silver platter.
Your argument is completely based on Americans and Europeans giving complete access of 5th gen technology to them. I hope you know how ridiculous that is .
Among the examples i provided only ATAK is a rebrand. What about the others?? Rebranded MBTs , K2 is whose rebranding?
Even if those eu companies handhold them,they will still absorb the technology. How many more ToTs until we design a conventional sub?No way a conventional one could be more complex than a nuclear one. It's funny ;we designed arihant yet when it come to conventional ones there's not much progress.Only ToTs and ToTs.

Honestly,is it so weird that I am saying their defence industry is much more efficient with what they have? With what we have we definitely closed a lot of the gap between other major powers in the startegic sector(nuclear,space;the gap in space sector is widening again) but in the conventional side(jets,mbts,small arms)? I don't think so. Even the smaller countries are catching up and saffron has already told why.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I think we should stop beating the same drum of other nations going ahead of us, whether that is true or not is up for debate. The fact is geography, US support, nearness to EU, part of a military bloc, economic factors, industrial level, local support and many other factors are simply ignored by people.
I don't get why you guys are getting restless. The progress in our defense industry in the last 5 yrs is nothing less of phenomenal and with the support of GOI by various means like positive list, industry support the growth is going to be much more.

I have sympathy for the persons who seriously think that Turkish so called 5th gen fighter is going to be a true 5th gen. Those guys have not even made a 4th gen fighter before and not even have necessary infra for design/development of a fighter plane, for example one being proper wind tunnels. Americans, Russia and chinese are chu**iyaas, right? I would say first let their Hoorjet fly. On UAV front, their progress is remarkable, no argument?

On KF21, even Sk classify it as 4.5gen and not true 5th gen plane. The first variant of the plane is not even supposed to have IWB, so please spare me to even compare it with AMCA which is classified as 5th gen plane with inclusion of 6th gen features in future by the IAF itself.

There are some tech like mbts, uavs and other systems where these countries have done so well and with the opening of our private defense industry, we should see same in the future too but yeah it will take time? The situation of defense industry between countries is very very different. Well, everybody goes Gaga over KF21 and no one even lauds the way in which baba kalyani literally over a year or two bought the artillery making capability in India for the first time with various solutions available.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I will say this again that designing a fighter plane is not halwa let alone a 5th gen plane.
The amount of complex tech which is incorporated in a modern fighter are really complex and so much more for 5th gen. For you to think that a nation can simply make a 5th gen plane within a span of few years who doesn't even have required infra, is simply a ignorance of higher level. When you truly understand the complexity of various programmes, then you will truly appreciate the work that has been done on them and it pains me to see any person quote TAI 5th gen fighter and it feels like a slap on every other 5th gen in service and their competency.

I won't talk much about how ToT basically is not very much useful and you don't really get much useful knowledge/data which can be applied in making other indigenious projects. Infact, most of the important tech and data are alway kept hidden so as to keep the dependency. For reference just see the comments of Mazgaon docks in recent article.
He is basically saying that lets dispose the tech partners and has asked the GOI, Navy and Drdo to come up with local replacement of components which are in essence being held by the so tech partners and are not sharing them, thereby you remain dependent on them for the rest of your product lifetime, that is almost 2-3 decades. This comes with all kind of problems like the non availability of firing or performance parameters which leads to problem of guarantees, in simple words how do you make local equivalent if you don't have data parameters to make a local equivalent, it can be done but yeah not easy and then a whole lot tons of testing for said components.
Same is the story for every ToT which people think is great when you dont even have the most important thing given to you. On the other hand a local designed product suffers from no such problem and the learning simply goes to the next and other projects, basically iterate and improve, expecting F35 like thing from get go is a stupid proposition to begin with.

Let's see what happens with P75I, it has turned into a shitshow as of now and I don't think it's gonna go ahead, simply not many partners to begin with and all the major naval groups have pulled out and NAVY is all to be blamed with their ambitious requirements without any flexibility at all.
So these are the few options ahead of us-
1) A retender for P75I, also known as wait for another decade.
2) Going for GtoG deal for P75I with French, also known as french having upper hand and may milk us fully as they can, single vendor leading to loss of negotiating power.
3) Ordering more scorpions, AKA ordering subs which don't even fulfil the requirements for a long range long endurance P75I reqmt.

Pick your poison.
IMO, is scorpene design even viable for upscaling to 3000+tons design when the current design is even less than 2000+tons. Anyway our next submarines should atleast have comprehensive Sonar suit with side arrays and towed array(lacking in scorpene) and the Li-ion tech, reduced noise levels, deploy USV and UAV, and perhaps VLS.

IN should at this point atleast launch a tech demonstrator for indigenous SSK with VLS with help of NSTL and NPOL.

radion

Country flag
I will say this again that designing a fighter plane is not halwa let alone a 5th gen plane.
The amount of complex tech which is incorporated in a modern fighter are really complex and so much more for 5th gen. For you to think that a nation can simply make a 5th gen plane within a span of few years who doesn't even have required infra, is simply a ignorance of higher level. When you truly understand the complexity of various programmes, then you will truly appreciate the work that has been done on them and it pains me to see any person quote TAI 5th gen fighter and it feels like a slap on every other 5th gen in service and their competency.

I won't talk much about how ToT basically is not very much useful and you don't really get much useful knowledge/data which can be applied in making other indigenious projects. Infact, most of the important tech and data are alway kept hidden so as to keep the dependency. For reference just see the comments of Mazgaon docks in recent article.
He is basically saying that lets dispose the tech partners and has asked the GOI, Navy and Drdo to come up with local replacement of components which are in essence being held by the so tech partners and are not sharing them, thereby you remain dependent on them for the rest of your product lifetime, that is almost 2-3 decades. This comes with all kind of problems like the non availability of firing or performance parameters which leads to problem of guarantees, in simple words how do you make local equivalent if you don't have data parameters to make a local equivalent, it can be done but yeah not easy and then a whole lot tons of testing for said components.
Same is the story for every ToT which people think is great when you dont even have the most important thing given to you. On the other hand a local designed product suffers from no such problem and the learning simply goes to the next and other projects, basically iterate and improve, expecting F35 like thing from get go is a stupid proposition to begin with.

Let's see what happens with P75I, it has turned into a shitshow as of now and I don't think it's gonna go ahead, simply not many partners to begin with and all the major naval groups have pulled out and NAVY is all to be blamed with their ambitious requirements without any flexibility at all.
So these are the few options ahead of us-
1) A retender for P75I, also known as wait for another decade.
2) Going for GtoG deal for P75I with French, also known as french having upper hand and may milk us fully as they can, single vendor leading to loss of negotiating power.
3) Ordering more scorpions, AKA ordering subs which don't even fulfil the requirements for a long range long endurance P75I reqmt.

Pick your poison.
IMO, is scorpene design even viable for upscaling to 3000+tons design when the current design is even less than 2000+tons. Anyway our next submarines should atleast have comprehensive Sonar suit with side arrays and towed array(lacking in scorpene) and the Li-ion tech, reduced noise levels, deploy USV and UAV, and perhaps VLS.

IN should at this point atleast launch a tech demonstrator for indigenous SSK with VLS with help of NSTL and NPOL.
5th gen is no easy task i agree which is why you should look at their aerospace industry achievements and the companies backing them. Those add credibility.And i am speaking based on that. Go have a look. Even experience doesn stop you from struggling as is shown by Americans.
btw about that windtunnel stuff that you posted.Surely they are not smart enough to outsource that? Even we did that according to saurav jha with amca sending it to USA.

IN shot itself in the foot by not designing its own SSK .They and the taxpayers have to pay the price now. Seriously even a substandard one would've been ok if they kept iterating and improving. But you know they want the BEST OF THE BEST which caused every country except one to abandon p75i.Whoops..the remaining contender is also Korean.Whose defense industry is the source of our argument.They imported two classes,the third one is their domestic design which also has SLBM's included into it.A version of which they are offering us.Us who design SSBN'S.

Thankfully l&t has started taking steps towards it with SOV 400.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Country flag
They are providing subsystems like AESA radar,eots,irst?? Even we import stuff like ejection seat for our jets.
Extent still matters even though these systems are being developed or have been developed in India.

An independent project with gradual replacement of foreign stuff is solution, using a western design with western consultancy with assembled western stuff is not.