DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
sprut sdm1 is 18 ton and gives 125mm cannon, imo it will be best to modify it according to our needs.

add, aps, era...

only thing that will be a problem is 600mm base armour

ig total weight will be near 30 tonns.
Sprut is not a light tank, its an anti tank weapon - Base armour equivalent to BMP. Thats why it got rejected by IA.

Akula

Country flag
Basically S 300 has replaced pechera long back in Russia etc. And then S 400 and now soon S 500.

We use them because we still have it and they are still useful .

Basically we will create multiple layer of defense long range missile short range medium range and very large like 400-600 km etc.

And eventually we will integrate them into a system like S 400 S 500 etc works.

Now instead of Spyder , Astra will be used for short range in future once it matures.

Remember Akash doesn't have seeker like Spyder or Astra Barak etc. It is dependent on ground based pesa radar completely for guidance. May be in future we may soon see a version with seeker. But that's fine a cheaper system that can be produced in mass will also be needed we cannot put expensive Astra or Spyder like system everywhere.
Akash mk1s/prime has a RF seeker.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Indian Army wants everything in 27 tonne tank . :frusty::frusty::frusty:

The Master Art of our Generals has set Light Tank on the path of death even before it's birth.

IA has just grabbed Light Tank by throat. Meaning, There will be plenty of reasons to reject this tank for decades because we know it will not going to fullfill all tortuous requirements.

In the End, UN army will end up buying some foreign Junk in name of "Stop gap" or "Emergency procurement"

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Armour requirement for light tank again seems unobtanium with just 27tons with all gizmos. Rest are achievable.
There is no foreign maal which can meet these requirements. Western light tanks are based on ICV hull which makes them overweight and less in protection side, anyway western ICV themselves weigh a lot. So any current solution by them is clearly out.
There has to be a dedicated new light tank design. Only design that comes to my mind is OF XM-8 which can somewhat fulfill requirements except that insane 500mm or 600mm for apfsds, if it is true, I don't think these are for HEAT, HEAT requirements should be around 800mm including ERA.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
Armour requirement for light tank again seems unobtanium with just 27tons with all gizmos. Rest are achievable.
There is no foreign maal which can meet these requirements. Western light tanks are based on ICV hull which makes them overweight and less in protection side, anyway western ICV themselves weigh a lot. So any current solution by them is clearly out.
There has to be a dedicated new light tank design. Only design that comes to my mind is OF XM-8 which can somewhat fulfill requirements except that insane 500mm or 600mm for apfsds, if it is true, I don't think these are for HEAT, HEAT requirements should be around 800mm including ERA.
there was buzz regarding HNS ??

karn

Country flag
Why assume best scenario . 500 mm Heat protection means protection from rpg 7 type weapons.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
there was buzz regarding HNS ??
Yeah, but with 27 tons seems very very very... hard. Here are the properties of HNS on drdo site-

HNS provides improved ballistic (especially against small arms ammunitions) and blast protection than the existing Rolled Homogeneous Armour (RHA) material with reduced thickness
Performance improvement: 30% to 35% compared to RHA steel against soft projectiles
Performance improvement: 5% to 15% compared to RHA steel against armour piercing (AP) projectiles.
Equivalent performance in comparison to RHA steel against long rod anti‐tank projectiles.
Low cost – about half that of currently produced RHA steels

Now, on which parameters are these compared with RHA, for same dimensions plate or same weight and if these are same dimensions plate than what percentage of weight savings are produced. More than 40 to 50% weight saving in armour plate will be required to get the desired results, highly unlikely though.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Although, do take note- These are the requirements army came to AFTER talking with industry.... Atleast one supplier would have agreed to provide all this for it to happen.
Why do I feel it's ofb Babu talking shit in meeting after smoking 3 joints .

On serious note , i think it's drdo-lnt design , they already are in advanced stages