DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

MonaLazy

Which think tank anyone know?

ORF, they are instead simping for MFDIS.

Yet something about the government’s moves suggests an attempt at ‘forcible indigenisation’. At a time when warfare is becoming increasingly sophisticated, the military is being pressed to work with indigenously designed and manufactured equipment that may be less than fit-for-purpose. Indeed, on more than a few instances in the past, the military has had multiple occasions to reject sub-par indigenous equipment; which is not to say that all domestic defence industry in India is incompetent. Larson and Toubro (L&T), that has played a key role in India’s submarine building programme, is an example of a private enterprise that has done yeoman service to the military. L&T, however, is more the exception than the norm. On the whole, private industry in India has struggled to deliver, not least because it is yet to properly invest in research and development. While the lack of contracts from the military has certainly been an aggravating factor, process inefficiencies in India’s domestic private sector is a reality that cannot be overlooked. Forced spending on domestic industry—though laudable in intent—is unlikely to create the industrial ecosystem within which a defence sub-system can flourish.

The defence budget’s reservation of almost three-fourths of the defence capital budget for Atmanirbharta may be justifiable from an indigenisation standpoint, but it leaves the military grappling with a paradox. India’s armed forces must find ways to preserve their operational edge using equipment that may not be best-in-class, or even necessarily reliable. With some foreign projects still in the pipeline, the navy, in particular, will need to look for ways to acquire proven equipment, made sparse through government diktat.

In recognition of the modernisation deficit, the new defence budget sets aside 25 percent of the total R&D budget for private industry, startups, academia. That may seem significant in percentage terms, but isn’t really so in actual numbers. In reality, the allocation to private industry for defence R&D in FY 2022-2023 is a mere 3,000 crores, with the overall R&D budget at a conservative 11,981 crores (an increase of about INR 500 crores over last year’s allocation of INR 11,375 crores). Yet, it is telling that the revised R&D budget for 2020-21 was reduced by over INR 1,500 crores, as the money was perhaps not spent. Thereby, hangs a tale about the true state of defence R&D in India.

One had expected the Finance Minister to announce a dedicated and non-lapsable Modernisation Fund for Defence and Internal Security (MFDIS), as per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission. It would have been a step in the direction of addressing the issue of unpredictable spending of capital allocation. But the government isn’t still quite ready to allow unspent funds to be reallocated to the defence budget. This means the military will continue to surrender its funds under the current rules. And remain in the budgetary ‘chakravyuh’ that all armed forces are fated to live in.

HawkisRight

Country flag
ORF, they are instead simping for MFDIS.

Imagine the fckunin chutzpah... lobbies started their usual R-rona..by this logic s400 is better than thaad so yanks should buy s400... biggest vulnerability india has in wartime is lack of domestic MIC...now its the job of establishment to ride through all dalali swinefest to build our own weapons industry by hook or crook..And i thought ORF guys were few reputable people but then kya hi bole saala desh ka naseeb hi aisa he..

hsinchong

Country flag
Is this report true or not:
theprint.in/defence/two-new-israeli-assault-rifles-arad-and-carmel-now-set-to-be-manufactured-in-india/459332/

Vamsi

Country flag
Now I'm more than 100% sure. These cunning Brits will do same stunt with 110KN if we collaborate with them. 1st they will promise complete transfer of "know-how" , "Know-why" and IPR and later will arm twist us to buy their Tempest

<removed by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

flanker99

Country flag
Now I'm more than 100% sure. These cunning Brits will do same stunt with 110KN if we collaborate with them. 1st they will promise complete transfer of "know-how" , "Know-why" and IPR and later will arm twist us to buy their Tempest

I wish to see the day when the last Brit dies a very painful ,slow and agonising death
Shameful comment wishing normal brits death is childish and petty

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

I wish to see the day when the last Brit dies a very painful ,slow and agonising death
Brits dying slowly painfully like just cutting the wind pipe each and every moment being painful and asking for death as it will be less painful
Imagine a country fading this where each day being very difficult
Ahhhh my biggest dream
Hope I see it before I die

HawkisRight

Country flag

Bhai mereko lagta he ye angrez amriki ke kehne pe humko ToT, know how ka chuna laga raha he..ye himare 10/15 saal waste karenge aur akhir me koi bahana banake chewtiya kaat denge..i hope hamari Gov. Inpe blind trust na kare.. yaar ye khud ka engine hum kab banayenge? Aur ye Mallya India se bhaga kaise Galti to hamari bhi he..