DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
A mix of both probably. Both forging limitations and difference in specifications.

A larger forge would have simplified the design by relying on thick and large monolithic block avoiding a lot of various mating techniques. Would have given a very strong airframe with minimum weight and high airframe life.

They probably have multiple design approaches at this stage. Based on the success at this stage they will probably decide on how the final design will be. They can still build a high performance aircraft without monolithic blocks but it will have a lot more structure - see KAI KF-x pics. Their design is more traditional.

Also F-35 had serious design constraints to allow for that large engine with space for the lift fan and large fuel tanks while trying retain a 9g high airframe life design. Such challenges won't exist in AMCA.
I looked into it a bit more, seems like the bigger reason is that we don't have one of these:-

Its a 12-storey high, 50,000 ton Hydraulic Press the Americans purpose-built in the 1950s under a special US national program after World War 2 after the Americans discovered a 30,000 ton press the Germans were using. Recently, the Americans spent $100 Million just repairing this behemoth before F-35 production started. This is the one that forges single-piece bulkheads of F-35.
Only the Americans, Russians, French, Japanese and Chinese have these behemoths. The largest one in India is 10,000 tons and is operated by a JV between an Indian Company (Aequs Private Limited) and the French company Aubert & Duval in an SEZ in Belgaum.

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Tonbo should do a JV with TASL (who had entered into a JV with Exelis of USA for manufacturing Gen III NVG). Tonbo has already demonstrated fusion technology similar to the new American ENVG-B and FWS-I sights, but Tonbo did it by combining normal optical sight with thermal. If they do it with Gen III and thermal, we'll have desi-ENVG-B and FWS-I.
^Remember this? I found something interesting:-
Tonbo FWS-I.png

Read that? It says NSG has already been supplied with the indigenous FWS-I and ENVG-B that Tonbo developed (although these have low-lux, not Image Intensifier tech). Look at the capability FWS-I provides:-

Abdus Salem killed

I looked into it a bit more, seems like the bigger reason is that we don't have one of these:-

Its a 12-storey high, 50,000 ton Hydraulic Press the Americans purpose-built in the 1950s under a special US national program after World War 2 after the Americans discovered a 30,000 ton press the Germans were using. Recently, the Americans spent $100 Million just repairing this behemoth before F-35 production started. This is the one that forges single-piece bulkheads of F-35.
Only the Americans, Russians, French, Japanese and Chinese have these behemoths. The largest one in India is 10,000 tons and is operated by a JV between an Indian Company (Aequs Private Limited) and the French company Aubert & Duval in an SEZ in Belgaum.

sorcerer

Country flag
Sea trials for floating missile test range INS Anvesh begin this month
\Sea trials of India's first floating missile test range (FTR), INS Anvesh, are set to begin this month with the ship expected to be commissioned in the next two months. Built by Cochin Shipyard and designed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), the nearly 9000 tonne ship will be used to test missiles up to range of 1500 kilometers deep inside the Indian Ocean without the threat to population or sea traffic as well as land mass limitation.

Abdus Salem killed

Sea trials for floating missile test range INS Anvesh begin this month
\Sea trials of India's first floating missile test range (FTR), INS Anvesh, are set to begin this month with the ship expected to be commissioned in the next two months. Built by Cochin Shipyard and designed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), the nearly 9000 tonne ship will be used to test missiles up to range of 1500 kilometers deep inside the Indian Ocean without the threat to population or sea traffic as well as land mass limitation.

What's the use for this @gslv markIII

charlie

Country flag
View attachment 108933

Read that? It says NSG has already been supplied with the indigenous FWS-I and ENVG-B that Tonbo developed (although these have low-lux, not Image Intensifier tech). Look at the capability FWS-I provides:-
View attachment 108933

US is moving to another level of night vision capability.

here is the video their new night vision capability something similar like wireless transferring the data from weapon sight.

gutenmorgen

Country flag
US is moving to another level of night vision capability.

here is the video their new night vision capability something similar like wireless transferring the data from weapon sight.
Tonbo has a similar system. I think it was called Cobra FTWS (Fused thermal Imaging Weapon System) . In fact they are so similar that you might think there is some background cooperation going on.

Video presentation is from 4 years ago.

Last edited:

gutenmorgen

Country flag
View attachment 108933

In an interview in 2019 with Tonbo founder, it was said that their equipment was used in the 2016 surgical strike and Northern command has been their long time customer.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag

Tridev123

Country flag
Some pics of New Jaguar MAX, Note the wide area display ( WAD ) in the Jaguar cockpit.
View attachment 108900View attachment 108901View attachment 108902
View attachment 108903
Looks futuristic. The aerospace community especially HAL seems to be trying out a lot of modifications /upgradations on the Jaguar.
First it was the addition of an overwing WVR air to air missile. It was the ASRAAM
Iirc.
Then the change in the radar from a pulse doppler radar to a AESA one, the Israeli Elta 2052 which is a big scale up in performance.
Now the WAD cockpit display. A drastic improvement over the mostly analogue dial displays of the past.

The biggest change pending is the new engine in place of the Rolls-Royce Adour engine.. Having almost dropped the Honeywell re engining proposal what is the road ahead.
Take up the old proposal of the British and their engine.
Or wait for the HTFE of HAL to materialise. Unfortunately we don't have a reputation for developing and certifying aero engines in a given time frame. Delays stretch into many years and sometimes even decades.

Some questions beg answers.
What will be the remaining life of the aircraft after all the modifications including the engine change. Will it be cost effective.

As for its operational role, the low flying radar evading fighter - bomber was deemed a potent weapon. But in the Gulf War, the Tornado fighter- bomber which was seen as a replacement for the Jaguar by the British and the French fared poorly. Many were shot down by shoulder fired portable anti aircraft missiles like the Igla used by the Iraqis.

In contrast high flying aircraft which are out of range of VSHORADS armed with LGB's suffered less losses. Anyway the jury is still out on this.

Probably the Jaguar needs a very good jammer and effective counter measures against heat seeking missiles. Flares and chaff of course will be a standard equipment on the aircraft.

I would like to have faith in the utility of low flying bombers like the Jaguar. We should remember that Jaguars were assigned to carry gravity nuclear bombs for delivery by the IAF in the past. (Probably still tasked for the same even now).

Let's see what the future holds for the Jaguar. We have nearly 120 of them.

The Shrike

Country flag
Tonbo has a similar system. I think it was called Cobra FTWS (Fused thermal Imaging Weapon System) . In fact they are so similar that you might think there is some background cooperation going on.

Video presentation is from 4 years ago.
Tonbo's one is Day (colour) + Thermal (IR) vs the (white?) Phosphorus image intensification + Thermal for the US one right?

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles