DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

IndianHawk

Country flag
US Army's first Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA) prototype is about complete.

https://www.janes.com/article/93061...mplete-us-army-prepares-for-shakedown-testing

The target range for the ERCA project is 70 kms for conventional round and 120-130 kms for rocket-assisted rounds.

M777ER towed howitzer
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...m-howitzer-doubles-range-to-40-miles-in-tests

Video of initial test of modified M109 as ERCA testbed:

India can later on modify its M777s to 52 cal.
India should catch on to this development . These rocket powered round would still be much cheaper than 150 km range ballistic missiles. Could be much cheaper to level all terror infra in Pakistan just from artillery.

Pandeyji

Country flag
#ATAGS makes a key breakthrough - five round burst in 62 secs.

Excellent. And one more thing, the ATAGS iirc is already capable of firing 6 rounds in 30 seconds with an auto loader. And if it could achieve this speed with manual loading, only God could help our enemies (especially in mountains).

P.S. from the twitter thread itself, if Indian Army is tasked with selecting Indian cricket team they would test the player performances in summer, winter, rainy, lauda, lehsun trials & then hire a Russian baseball team instead

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
India should catch on to this development . These rocket powered round would still be much cheaper than 150 km range ballistic missiles.
As I'd asked @porky_kicker before, is rocket powered or base-bleed round necessary to increase range?
Can't the guided round be given gliding wings and/or function like a Spice-2000? Does any such concept exist?

IndianHawk

Country flag
As I'd asked @porky_kicker before, is rocket powered or base-bleed round necessary to increase range?
Can't the guided round be given gliding wings and/or function like a Spice-2000? Does any such concept exist?
I don't know. How would you fire a winged round from artillery. Wings will have to open after being fired adds complexity.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I don't know. How would you fire a winged round from artillery. Wings will have to open after being fired adds complexity.
Same way the they pop out in ATGM or SAAW.
Turns out the concept of guided-glided shells exists...

South Korean 155mm gliding artillery shell:
20160909225206_1.jpeg

Still gonna be hella cheaper than guided MLRS.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag

South Korean 155mm gliding artillery shell:View attachment 41529

We might see something like this k9 vajra in service if korean have it actually working.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Kalyani Bharat 52 155x52mm artillery gun with an integrated autoloader ( the rectangular box on top )

No need of manual loading of shell and charges into the gun , every thing is automated including firing through the FCS.
Has either Tata or Kalyani gun been chosen as ATAGS winner yet, or are they both still equals in the competition?
We might see something like this k9 vajra in service if korean have it actually working.
Maybe, if they are compatible. I don't know how they'd negate the effect of rifling in gun barrel.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Kalyani Bharat 52 155x52mm artillery gun with an integrated autoloader ( the rectangular box on top )

No need of manual loading of shell and charges into the gun , every thing is automated including firing through the FCS.
I don't believe that's the case. Here -

Dessert Storm

Country flag
India should catch on to this development . These rocket powered round would still be much cheaper than 150 km range ballistic missiles. Could be much cheaper to level all terror infra in Pakistan just from artillery.
Yes the round may be cheaper in comparison. The whole shebang of sensors and controllers for triangulating the target and directing the round to the target would cost too much. That said, we might see a proliferation of such systems once Anti-hypersonic AD systems are tested and deployed. The tech would have obvious domino effects.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
You mean something like this.

View attachment 59156
Details in that please?

Although i meant something like this. Rudimentary concepts still...

South Korean 155mm gliding artillery shell:
20160909225206_1.jpeg

Chinmoy

Country flag
Details in that please?

Although i meant something like this. Rudimentary concepts still...
Copperhead M712 CLGP is the mother of all guided projectile. Its a 155 mm artillery shell developed in 70s which is laser guided and is still in use.

But one point to note is, shells like these use the glide mode for precision strike rather then range extension. SO as of now, only BB and RAP are mode for range extension along with RAMJET projectile which is also in development.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles