DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

Enquirer

Ok, tell me what should be done ?

Let us make artillery barrels in every steel factory to prove that Indians except OFB can make barrels.
Because as per you ToT means without guns.
And those like Bharat Forge who have been making guns should be under a banana tree for that elusive banana to fall . Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .......
Poor Private Industry ... you guys want to kill them also !:pound::pound::pound:
I've no idea what you're rambling about .....................

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
That is sensible answer ....
Technologically, L&T have been making (smerch / Pinaka) rocket launcher tube (130mm and 124 mm). I wonder how they are manufacturing such tubes without that so called technology... That is also made by forging whether by drilling or hammering.

The point is that L&T has not got the technology to make a tank barrel and breech which involves different technology than a normal towed gun as it is required to be fitted into a turret

The quoted reference says that L&T will give the ToT to MoD after supply of 100 guns.
It also says that Towed guns they can make any time.

So the reference being cited as per ones goals and desires . A blind man shooting a deer.
My dear sir, rocket launcher barrels do not have to bear the kind of pressures that barrels of field guns and howitzers have to deal with. For something as simple as barrels for rocket launchers, simple manufacturing operations like Mannesmann process might be sufficient. They do not require Autofrettage, which is a very complex manufacturing process. They might not even require swagging since they have no rifling.

As for ToT, ToT is never all-encompassing tech transfer for every single part, as I am sure you are aware. What the article mentions is:-
The barrel and breach – will be imported from South Korea. For towed guns in the future the barrel and breach can be made in India for larger orders.
So clearly, the barrels and breach can be made in India "in future" for "larger orders" of "towed guns".

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
My dear sir, rocket launcher barrels do not have to bear the kind of pressures that barrels of field guns and howitzers have to deal with. For something as simple as barrels for rocket launchers, simple manufacturing operations like Mannesmann process might be sufficient. They do not require Autofrettage, which is a very complex manufacturing process. They might not even require swagging since they have no rifling.

As for ToT, ToT is never all-encompassing tech transfer for every single part, as I am sure you are aware. What the article mentions is:-

So clearly, the barrels and breach can be made in India "in future" for "larger orders" of "towed guns".

Fine, the issue was forging capability for a gun barrel...
I presume, If OFB can have it, so does L&T have it if there is a requirement.
Earlier, only OFB had the monopoly on gun barrel forging and no private industry would need it.
Now, Bharat Forge has acquired it and if need be L&T as also TATA strategic can develop it.

Give orders and they will deliver. Kanwa is used internationally and their joint Venture include supply of K-9 components made by L&T in the international markets.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Any information on this system :..................

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Gun-novation: Indigenous howitzer to undergo firing trials in November
Truck-mounted howitzer based on the Bofors was developed by OFB in just 16 months, but could struggle for orders since it comes at a time of plenty.

Sandeep Unnithan

New Delhi
September 14, 2018
UPDATED: September 14, 2018 19:07 IST

HIGHLIGHTS
  • Truck-mounted howitzer to undergo its maiden firing trials in November this year
  • MGS developed by GCF Jabalpur was first unveiled at Defexpo this April
  • Designed by GCF Jabalpur, MGS builds on OFB's successful Dhanush 155x45 mm howitzer

An indigenously designed, developed and manufactured truck mounted howitzer is to undergo its maiden firing trials in November this year.

The Mounted Gun System (MGS) developed by the Gun Carriage Factory (GCF) Jabalpur was first unveiled at the Defexpo in Chennai this April.

Senior Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) officials told India Today that the internal firing trials at the Proof Establishment in Balasore would validate not just the gun but also its integration with the 8x8 Tatra vehicle on which it is mounted.

The test of a new gun system - the fifth type in a series of Army howitzer requirement projected nearly two decades ago - comes at a time when the Army has begun receiving its first guns in over 30 years.

This year the Army will start inducting M-777 Ultra Light Howitzers and K-9 Vajra self-propelled howitzers and

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
https://www.army-technology.com/news/indias-ofb-beml-unveil-155mm-52-calibre-mounted-gun-system/

18 APRIL 2018

NEWS
India’s OFB and BEML unveil 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system

Arms industry company Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and manufacturer Bharat Earth Movers (BEML) have launched their latest 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system at the DefExpo 2018 held in Chennai, India.

The new gun system has been completely and independently designed and produced by OFB, in collaboration with BEML and arms manufacturing company Bharat Electronics (BEL). The development supports the Government of India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.

The mounted gun includes the latest advanced laying and sighting systems, such as global positioning system (GPS)-aided inertial navigation systems (INS).

“The gun is highly manoeuvrable in all types of terrain and capable of being automatically deployed to carry out missions independently.”
Muzzle velocity feeder data management systems, day and night firing, ballasting computer system capability are also featured.

The high-mobility BEML-Tatra 8X8 truck is used as the base vehicle for the gun system.

A 300kW (402HP) engine powers the truck, providing a power-to-weight ratio of more than 10kW/t. It is equipped with independent wheel suspension and swinging half-axles for improved cross-country mobility.

On one tank, the vehicle has a range of 1,000km, with an on-the-road top speed of 80km/h and cross-country cruising speed of 30km/h.

Target destruction capability of the latest 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system is approximately 42km.

The gun is highly manoeuvrable in all types of terrain and capable of being automatically deployed to carry out missions independently.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Enquirer says :

Pinaka is not Tube launched ....................:pound:.
I can only see tubes and Tubes held together by a cannister ..

Enquirer

@Enquirer says :

Unlike an self aggrandizing idiot like yourself, I had admitted that I mis-typed the post, and even deleted the post! But of course, a'holes like you don't care about facts!

What I wanted to say earlier was that rockets are NOT launched from ENCLOSED TUBES! The exhaust is vented from the back - as such there's no pressure build up inside the tube! The bigger point was to negate your argument that these 'tubes' were somehow built as strong as the barrels of a howitzer!! Where in fact the tubes for the rocket launchers are merely rolled up steel sheets!!!

Enquirer

https://www.army-technology.com/news/indias-ofb-beml-unveil-155mm-52-calibre-mounted-gun-system/

18 APRIL 2018

NEWS
India’s OFB and BEML unveil 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system

Arms industry company Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and manufacturer Bharat Earth Movers (BEML) have launched their latest 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system at the DefExpo 2018 held in Chennai, India.

The new gun system has been completely and independently designed and produced by OFB, in collaboration with BEML and arms manufacturing company Bharat Electronics (BEL). The development supports the Government of India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.

The mounted gun includes the latest advanced laying and sighting systems, such as global positioning system (GPS)-aided inertial navigation systems (INS).

“The gun is highly manoeuvrable in all types of terrain and capable of being automatically deployed to carry out missions independently.”
Muzzle velocity feeder data management systems, day and night firing, ballasting computer system capability are also featured.

The high-mobility BEML-Tatra 8X8 truck is used as the base vehicle for the gun system.

A 300kW (402HP) engine powers the truck, providing a power-to-weight ratio of more than 10kW/t. It is equipped with independent wheel suspension and swinging half-axles for improved cross-country mobility.

On one tank, the vehicle has a range of 1,000km, with an on-the-road top speed of 80km/h and cross-country cruising speed of 30km/h.

Target destruction capability of the latest 155mm 52 calibre mounted gun system is approximately 42km.

The gun is highly manoeuvrable in all types of terrain and capable of being automatically deployed to carry out missions independently.
Why are you posting news articles from a year ago??
Are you just catching up on news? slow reader?
Can you do your vintage readings by yourself and come on this forum when you caught up with the current?

garg_bharat

Country flag
What you see is a support structure holding the tubes. The tubes are containers.

You need specs for sure.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Unlike an self aggrandizing idiot like yourself, I had admitted that I mis-typed the post, and even deleted the post! But of course, a'holes like you don't care about facts!

What I wanted to say earlier was that rockets are NOT launched from ENCLOSED TUBES! The exhaust is vented from the back - as such there's no pressure build up inside the tube! The bigger point was to negate your argument that these 'tubes' were somehow built as strong as the barrels of a howitzer!! Where in fact the tubes for the rocket launchers are merely rolled up steel sheets!!!
You have been caught red handed ! (unlike what you quoted)
Not only for your dishonest push but also for using expletives and gutter class language.
Take care of life man ! Go to hospital....
The forum is not meant to vent your ire on others that way and find an easy asylum.

Last edited:

Enquirer

You have caught red handed !
Not only for your dishonest push but also for using expletives and gutter class language.
Take care of life man ! Go to hospital....
The forum is not meant to vent your ire on others that way and find an easy asylum.
Yes, I caught you red-handed :)
(your poor reading and writing skills explain why you live in a morass of misconceptions!)

You've no idea what you're talking...you just love the sound of your keyboard!
Do you have any justification for your claim about 'forging rocket tubes....to withstand high pressures'??
I've given you ample explanation as to why your claim is moronic.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Why are you posting news articles from a year ago??
Are you just catching up on news? slow reader?
Can you do your vintage readings by yourself and come on this forum when you caught up with the current?
Not a year ago but 2014 vintage ...
Because it has not lost relevance like you but is futuristic.
After towed system, IA would start process for acquiring mounted system.
And because it shows OFB has already made 155/ 52.

And because it hurts your arse !!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
(your poor reading and writing skills explain why you live in a morass of misconceptions!)

Do you have any justification for your claim about 'forging rocket tubes....to withstand high pressures'??
Yes, idiots like you must know forging technology and capabilities exists with said firm. May not be for barrels but forging they can do contrary to your stupid assertions..

I do not know what is your problem, intelligent and most capable arse...

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
India to conclude user trials of first locally developed howitzer
Published June 2, 2019 | By admin SOURCE: Jane’s Defence Weekly
http://idrw.org/india-to-conclude-user-trials-of-first-locally-developed-howitzer/#more-202069 .

The Indian Army (IA) is expected to successfully complete user trials of the 155 mm/52 calibre Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) within the next two months: a move that would pave the way to start series production of India’s first locally designed howitzer.

Industry sources told Jane’s that two different prototypes of the ATAGS, which was jointly developed by the state-owned Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and private-sector companies Tata Power SED, Bharat Forge and Kalyani Strategic Systems, have been undergoing trials with the IA since 24 May at Pokhran in India’s north-western desert region.

They said that once these trials are completed around July, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) will issue a request for proposals to both Tata Power, which provided the ‘G1’ prototype, and Bharat Forge, which provided the ‘G2’ prototype, for the supply of 150 guns for the IA for an estimated INR36.65 billion (USD524 million). The MoD’s Defence Acquisition Council had approved the ATAGS procurement in August 2018.

Thereafter, one of two howitzer prototypes, either Tata Power’s G1 or Bharat Forge’s G2, is expected to be shortlisted for procurement based on performance and commercial bids.

Officials said the lowest bidder, or L1, will be awarded a contract to build 100 of the 150 ATAGSs while the runner-up will be allowed to manufacture the remaining 50 guns (of the same model) in what will be India’s first-ever public-private partnership (PPP) project in the defence sector.

The ATAGS programme was launched in 2013 by the DRDO’s Armament Research & Development Establishment to boost the IA’s depreciated artillery profile. In September 2017 the gun set a local record by firing three shells, reportedly undisclosed model high-explosive base bleed (HE-BB) projectiles, to a distance of 47.2 km at Pokhran.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Time and again you come down to your sixth class psychosis of being bullied for being poor at every thing. So you remember those words pretty well.
I have no cure for that to offer to you.

Enquirer

Time and again you come down to your sixth class psychosis of being bullied for being poor at every thing. So you remember those words pretty well.
I have no cure for that to offer to you.
I rest my case :)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Advanced artillery gun to be ready for user trial by September
Published June 13, 2019 | By admin

http://idrw.org/advanced-artillery-gun-to-be-ready-for-user-trial-by-september/#more-203352 .

India’s first fully integrated Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) will be ready for crucial user (army) trials by early September this year, a senior official of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) told TOI on Wednesday.“A team of scientists from Pune-based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and army officers from the Corps of Artillery conducted a key user assistant technical trial (UATT) of the gun between May 20 and June 5 at the firing range of Pokhran in Rajasthan.

The gun has achieved all desired results during the trial, which is why we are confident of giving the gun for the army’s trials,” the official added. The gun has achieved critical technical objectives such as accuracy, range, day, night firing and mobility. “We have fired all types of ammunitions. The gun has hit a target at 45km distance. We have tested other technical parameters too,” said another senior official involved in the project.

The army and DRDO have already completed desert and high-altitude trials in Rajasthan and Sikkim in the last two years. “The gun has produced excellent results. Our endeavour is to induct the gun in the force by 2020,” added the official.The ATAGS is the first indigenous 155mm/52-calibre towed gun. It is one of the guns in the world having six-round ‘automated magazine’ that fires in 30 seconds. The gun has all-electric drive, an advantage over traditional hydraulic drives, which are common in other towed guns. The electric drives of the ATAGS provides controls in handling ammunition, opening and closing breech mechanism and ramming the round into firing chamber,” said a scientist involved in the project.

The existing 155/mm and 52 calibre guns have three-round magazines, which need to be reloaded manually. During this exercise maximum burst takes place, which have often resulted in casualties, said defence sources Posted in India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles