China Economy: News & Discussion

Vinash

Country flag
KFC has revenue of over $7B in China. In India, they make $121M after a record-breaking year ;)

KFC's Chinese market is about 58 times that of India. This is indicative of many international chains from KFC to Starbucks to McDonalds (I chose KFC instead of McDonald's to eliminate cultural prefences over hamburgers.)

China is supposedly only five times size of India by nominal GDP accounting but Chinese consumes immensely more of everything. Far more than the multiple of five despite having the same population.

View attachment 197305

View attachment 197306
View attachment 197307
What a weird stat to pick.

First of all, KFC Chicken sucks. It tastes like Shit. I prefer homemade Chicken with spices anyday of the week over KFC's dry Chicken.

KFC, McDonalds, Starbucks etc are overpriced shit.

Is the Chinese cuisine so disgusting that they think KFC as good food?

SexyChineseLady

MI Home in China reaches 10000, and 500 stores in India.

And China is in a trade war with the US!

This is just the huge amount of discretionary income in China. A small percentage of it overwhelms the amount that India can possibly support.

Australia has a population of 25M but Starbucks still had revenues of over $90M which not far off from India's $121M.
A95FD720-18B4-489A-8FE8-477EB423E3E2.jpeg

China is mainly a tea culture but income is so high that even a small percentage of drinkers will crush Australia's total many times over:

It is a matter of income not just taste.

Concard

Country flag
Chai is tea? China mainly prefers chai too! Chinese phonetic for tea is cha.

Australia has a population less than Delhi ;)

Anyways, KFC, Starbucks and turbofans (and HSR and EVs and semicons and Pizza Huts and $2000 handbags ...) are just some of many many many areas that show huge discrepancies between India and China even though both have the same population.
"Anyways, KFC, Starbucks and turbofans (and HSR and EVs and semicons and Pizza Huts and $2000 handbags ...) are just some of many many many areas that show huge discrepancies between India and China even though both have the same population."

And just with that one sentence you also showed your IQ. Comparing Pizza Huts, KFC, Starbucks between 2 nations of same population yields amazing insights into economic disparity? Can you enlighten me what have you studied? Are you working for CCP?

I will get you a subscription on Coursera, Udemy or any online course to get some basic education on statistics. You seem to be someone who doesn't understand simple difference between Median and Average.

srevster

Country flag
What a weird stat to pick.

First of all, KFC Chicken sucks. It tastes like Shit. I prefer homemade Chicken with spices anyday of the week over KFC's dry Chicken.

KFC, McDonalds, Starbucks etc are overpriced shit.

Is the Chinese cuisine so disgusting that they think KFC as good food?
KFC is not something to be proud of, haha

Vinash

Country flag
Chai is tea? China mainly prefers chai too! Chinese phonetic for tea is cha.

Australia has a population less than Delhi ;)

Anyways, KFC, Starbucks and turbofans (and HSR and EVs and semicons and Pizza Huts and $2000 handbags ...) are just some of many many many areas that show huge discrepancies between India and China even though both have the same population.
Indians typically are a stingy bunch. We value bang for buck.

All I'm seeing from your boasts is that Chinese people are a highly materialistic people who'll pay 10x for showing off without caring about actual value.

rockdog

Country flag
Look at how poor China is :

View attachment 197333
China was by far the world's leading agricultural producer with 2020 annual output valued at $1.56 trillion, $1.5 trillion of which was food, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.

A key factor was China's status as the world's most populous country with a population of 1.45 billion as of 2022, slightly ahead of India's 1.41 billion.34

China has only 10% of the world's arable land yet produces a quarter of the global grain output and leads the planet in the production of cereals, cotton, fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, eggs, and fishery products, according to FAO.5 While much of China's territory is too mountainous or too arid for farming, the rich soils of its eastern and southern regions are extremely productive.6

In 2019, China surpassed the U.S. and the E.U. to become the world's leading importer of agricultural products, with imports valued at $133.1 billion. Imports growth has been driven by land-intensive crops like soybeans, sorghum, and cotton, as well as meat, dairy, fruit, and vegetables as a result of rising consumer demand. 9

SexyChineseLady

"Anyways, KFC, Starbucks and turbofans (and HSR and EVs and semicons and Pizza Huts and $2000 handbags ...) are just some of many many many areas that show huge discrepancies between India and China even though both have the same population."

And just with that one sentence you also showed your IQ. Comparing Pizza Huts, KFC, Starbucks between 2 nations of same population yields amazing insights into economic disparity? Can you enlighten me what have you studied? Are you working for CCP?

I will get you a subscription on Coursera, Udemy or any online course to get some basic education on statistics. You seem to be someone who doesn't understand simple difference between Median and Average.

I think people who insist on bringing in Indian economic stats in the Chinese economy thread are very foolish ;)

For example, India is a very hot subtropical nation. China is temperate nation with four seasons and bitterly cold winters in the northern half.

Yet, China buys many times the number of air conditioners than in the rest of Asia -- India is just one of many anonymous countries who together can only afford a small faction of what China could buy:

5D348652-A5FF-4BD3-92FA-8C1C6AD9E328.jpeg

It is not taste (or need in the case of air conditioning) but the issue of wealth and income.

srevster

Country flag
China was by far the world's leading agricultural producer with 2020 annual output valued at $1.56 trillion, $1.5 trillion of which was food, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.

A key factor was China's status as the world's most populous country with a population of 1.45 billion as of 2022, slightly ahead of India's 1.41 billion.34

China has only 10% of the world's arable land yet produces a quarter of the global grain output and leads the planet in the production of cereals, cotton, fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, eggs, and fishery products, according to FAO.5 While much of China's territory is too mountainous or too arid for farming, the rich soils of its eastern and southern regions are extremely productive.6

In 2019, China surpassed the U.S. and the E.U. to become the world's leading importer of agricultural products, with imports valued at $133.1 billion. Imports growth has been driven by land-intensive crops like soybeans, sorghum, and cotton, as well as meat, dairy, fruit, and vegetables as a result of rising consumer demand. 9

Food shortages! https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53761295.amp

srevster

Country flag
I think people who insist on bringing in Indian economic stats in the Chinese economy thread are very foolish ;)

India is a very hot subtropical nation. China is temperate nation with four seasons and bitterly cold winters in the northern half.

Yet, China buys many times the number of air conditioners in the rest of Asia -- India is just one of many anonymous countries who together can only afford a small faction of what China could buy:

View attachment 197338
1679295210952.jpeg

1679295263547.jpeg

rockdog

Country flag

India is a very hot subtropical nation. China is temperate nation with four seasons and bitterly cold winters in the northern half.

Yet, China buys many times the number of air conditioners in the rest of Asia -- India is just one of many anonymous countries who together can only afford a small faction of what China could buy:

View attachment 197338
I remember Lee Kuan Yew once said if a tropical area nation wants to get developed, the first thing is to create a fully AC covered society, since there is no productivity under 35C degree.

SexyChineseLady

I heard Lee Kuan Yew said if a tropical area nation wants to get developed, the first thing is to create a full AC covered society, since there is no productivity under 35C degree.
True!

A lot of neighborhoods and gated communities in subtropical Hong Kong and Guangzhou are connected by AC crosswalks to malls and shopping centers. You could go weeks without leaving AC areas!

Guangzhou subway malls!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles