China among top five arms exporters, India top buyer

amoy

Thailand seeking more China arms deals

VT4 also named MBT-3000 is a new generation of MBT, designed and manufactured by NORINCO (photo : w54.biz)

Army chief denies West out of favour
More Chinese armaments are likely to be procured by the government, says the army commander in chief, while denying Thailand has shifted policy to procure military hardware from China rather than Western countries.

Gen Chalermchai Sittisat said the government was also mulling a Thai-Chinese joint venture to start a defence and weapons industry in Thailand.

More purchases of military hardware from China may help shape the policy, he said.

The army chief denied speculation the armed forces have switched to China after relying on the United States and Western nations for such deals, saying several factors would be taken into account.

The US-made M-41 tanks purchased since 1957 would soon need to be decommissioned and the army would have to find new ones to replace them, he said.

“So, this has nothing to do with whether the army will shift to purchasing weapons from China as some have speculated. But the point is Thailand wants to create a new industry in the country… and we have to make this happen,” he said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwon wants to see a defence and weapons industry in Thailand develop steadily, starting with less complicated weapons and moving on to the more advanced ones, said Gen Chalermchai.

“After visiting China, Gen Prawit agreed China is suitable because the prices of its weapons aren’t high. And as Thailand’s friend, China can understand Thailand in several contexts. If China agrees to make a joint investment with us on this project, China will become like our adviser,” said Gen Chalermchai.

More Chinese Tank
The army had signed an agreement to purchase 28 VT-4 tanks from China and in the second phase would procure more such tanks until it has a full fleet of 49 tanks in fiscal year 2017.

After problems with the delivery of 49 Oplot tanks ordered from Ukraine, the army committee which decides on military hardware procurements has opted to cut the number of tanks to be bought from Ukraine and buy more from China instead, he said.

The problem facing the Ukrainian supplier was due mainly to Ukraine’s internal situation, he said.

However, the Ukrainian tank maker should be able to deliver all 49 tanks to the Thai army by October, 2017, according to Gen Chalermchai.

An army source said the army also has drawn up a plan to procure several more fleets of 49 VT-4 tanks to replace US-made ones that need to be decommissioned.

Military hardware produced in the US and other Western countries is high quality but also expensive.

“In any procurement, the budget is also a key factor to put into account.”

Still, the US had previously not offered to sell weapons to Thailand due to the US’s own legal restrictions on selling weapons to Thailand since the coup, he said.

What’s more, several other countries in this region had also turned to Chinese-made military hardware, he said.

More Chinese Submarine
A source at the navy, meanwhile, said the navy’s proposal to purchase the first Chinese-made S26T submarine at a cost of 12 billion baht is expected to be sent to the cabinet for approval by no later than March.

The first Chinese-made submarine is expected to be bought during fiscal year 2017, while two more are expected to be procured under an 11-year plan.

In total, 36 billion baht in budget will be needed for the three submarines, said the source.

The proposed submarine purchase has been delayed repeatedly in the past though signs are it could now finally get a push-along.

Read Morehttp://militer.or.id/1186/thailand-will-purchase-more-military-equipment-from-china/

Tarun Kumar

I want to ask a question. nearly half of chinese exports are on soft loans to pakistan. how much of these loans are really converted to hard cash. I think the figure is 0 . So shouldnt we halve the figure of chinese exports. I mean do pakis really pay in cash for JF17s when I read that even the maintenance is subsidized by Chinese.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Chinese exports are good for India. China is enabling poor nations to buy arms. Which in turn will threaten poorer neighbors which in turn will look for low cost arms from India as Russian or Western equipment will be quite costly.

India needs to up its game and bring missiles tank aircrafts to market fast.

China will be creating plenty of new market for us

I want to ask a question. nearly half of chinese exports are on soft loans to pakistan. how much of these loans are really converted to hard cash. I think the figure is 0 . So shouldnt we halve the figure of chinese exports. I mean do pakis really pay in cash for JF17s when I read that even the maintenance is subsidized by Chinese.
Chinese figures are bogus anyway. CCP prints whatever it wants too.:lawl:

amoy

Indonesia takes delivery of 122 mm rocket systems from China

The Type 90B 122 mm multiple launch rocket system, similar to the one received by Indonesia in 2016. Source: NORINCO

Key Points
  • The Indonesian Marines Corps is now equipped with the Type 90B multiple rocket system from China
  • System may be equipped with indigenously developed R-Han 122 B rockets
The Indonesian Marines Corps (Korps Marinir, or KORMAR) has taken delivery of four units of the Type 90B 122 mm (40-round) multiple rocket system (MRS) from China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO).

Sources within the service told IHS Jane's on 27 December that first test firings of the system are being conducted until the end of the month at various undisclosed locations throughout East Java.

The systems have been delivered under a 2015 contract signed between the Indonesian Ministry of Defence and NORINCO. Indonesia is the first known export customer of the Type 90B variant.

According to IHS Jane's Land Warfare Platforms: Artillery & Air Defence , the Type 90B MRS consists of a Tiema SC2030 6x6 truck with four rows of 10 tubes mounted on a rotating cradle assembly.

Each tube can be loaded with 122 mm missiles, such as those from NORINCO's family of fin-stabilised unguided calibre rockets featuring composite solid propellant and maximum ranges of between 20,000 m and 40,000 m. The rockets can be fired either singly, or in salvo with 0.5 seconds between rounds.

The Type 90B system has also been marketed with the capability to launch the Fire Dragon (BRE7) 40 122 mm rocket, which features an inertial navigation system (INS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) guidance system, although it is not immediately known if Indonesia has plans to procure this variant of missiles.

IHS Jane's has, however, received confirmation from multiple sources within the KORMAR that fire control subsystems associated with the Type 90B, such as the HJ-1 mini-computer, have not been included under this contract, and that all firing parameters on the system will be manually calculated.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Pakistan financed the development of jf17, the jf17 program wouldn't have lasted without input from Pakistan.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Conveniently denying the fact that once you get the blueprints to a system by hacking or reverse engineering or espionage or whatever, you have conveniently bypassed the crucial step called R&D for which the Intellectual Property claims are filed anyway.
What a bunch of jhandus.
even if the whole blueprint was gifted to indian, you people wont be able to manufacture it.

Chinese defence industry is not built on espionage, or hacking or reverse engineering, certainly these tactics could bring some convenience, but not crucial.

the most import ability in defence industry, or any industry is the ability to manufacture, and Chinese have improved that ability a lot the last decades. that is what separates China from India, we can manufacture, you cant

Provided that someday spies from both china and India had obtained the blueprint of f22, indian couldn't make a damn thing out of it, while Chinese could make a capable stealthy fighter.

nimo_cn

Country flag
you people can't even copy, but only import.

LCA, the copy of Mirage2000, after 30+ years of development, is still a failure, now you buying Rafales.

when i was a sixth grade student(1998), I read an article about lca, the article's Chinese author seemed pretty jealous given the good looking specs on paper LCA was having. today LCA is a laughing stock in the eyes of Chinese military fans, especially for those like me who have read about it for so many years.

Name me 10 weapon platforms that China was the first to invent for starters on innovation.Forget innovation China doesnt even change the design of the thing they try to copy.

Regarding quality i am not sure if Chinese products are known anywhere in the world for quality.I can give you tens of links but i dont wanna troll.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Sure bud. I'm sure there's a huuuuuuuuuge difference. I mean, they get on their knees and beg and you "request politely" to buy it.
are you sure that they get on their knees and begged you to buy their products? I certainly doubt it.

customer is not necessarily the God in a weapon purchase, because there are so few of them who can actually provide high-end sophisticated weapon system. the UN p5 have basically monopolied these lucrative business, some others get the leftovers.

I understand that India has been top arms importer for decades, but most of the time you were not treated well, in many cases you got ripped off. India doesn't actually get to choose the vendors, you mostly don't have many options. some of them hike the prices to make fortune from the deal, others offer the weapons with political strings which are unacceptable for a big and pround country like India. at last one of them will offer what seems to be a good deal and India is gonna accept it, but there is no way you people could cancel the deal even if the seemly good deal turns out bad, because India can't afford to antagonise the seller.

nimo_cn

Country flag
India cannot stop brain drain or promote innovation ;one of the major reason being the Indian mentality.

We do not value or judge the idea on its face value but on the academic qualification of the person propagating it.In India ,the person proposing the idea is always bigger than the idea itself.Where as in west it is the"idea" which is supreme.

Even our education system does not promote free thinking and venturing into uncharted path.Instead ,we are fed with a given set of programs and expect to follow it as it is.That's why Indians generally do good as employees as they are programmed to follow the directions,which they aptly do!
mentality be one factor, another important factor is language. by choosing a foreign language as official , you successfully eliminate a barrier which could make it more difficult for western countries, mainly UK and US, to suck the brilliant brains out of India. speaking English makes it easier for you learn from them, but also easier for them to exploit your talents.

airtel

Country flag
you people can't even copy, but only import.

LCA, the copy of Mirage2000, after 30+ years of development, is still a failure, now you buying Rafales.

when i was a sixth grade student(1998), I read an article about lca, the article's Chinese author seemed pretty jealous given the good looking specs on paper LCA was having. today LCA is a laughing stock in the eyes of Chinese military fans, especially for those like me who have read about it for so many years.

tell me more about latest Sukkhoi 35 which china bought from Russia .

airtel

Country flag
These Failed countries are buying Chiniese copies because china is providing them Loans ................they are literally forced to buy Chinese products ..................otherwise nobody will use Your shitty copies .

Ukntitled.jpg

airtel

Country flag
well, that may make China a top arms importer, but behind India.
because western countries will not sell you any product You have to buy Russian & Ukrainian products and paint them in Chinese colors & call it Indigenous so that you can boost Your fragile ego on Internet forums .

airtel

Country flag
well, that may make China a top arms importer, but behind India.

as long as you are buying Russian/Ukrainian products ................making fake copies and selling it to failed countries by providing Loans .............You should not brag .

nimo_cn

Country flag
These Failed countries are buying Chiniese copies because china is providing them Loans ................they are literally forced to buy Chinese products ..................otherwise nobody will use Your shitty copies .

View attachment 13053
force people to buy stuff by providing loans? is it the way how Japanese forced you to buy their HSR? burying you with money if you don't buy it?

nimo_cn

Country flag
as long as you are buying Russian/Ukrainian products ................making fake copies and selling it to failed countries by providing Loans .............You should not brag .
as long as we are doing better than India, we don't accept bitch talking from indians.

nimo_cn

Country flag
because western countries will not sell you any product You have to buy Russian & Ukrainian products and paint them in Chinese colors & call it Indigenous so that you can boost Your fragile ego on Internet forums .
In that case, I thank CCP for taking good care of my ego.

airtel

Country flag
force people to buy stuff by providing loans? is it the way how Japanese forced you to buy their HSR? burying you with money if you don't buy it?
Japanese HSR are known to be a Good Product ........................just check Indian car market ...................Japanese & Korean cars are more famous than American or European cars .

nobody will buy any Chinese car or motorcycle in India ............or any non-Chinese country .....................Chinese Products are famous for bad quality .

nimo_cn

Country flag
Japanese HSR are known to be a Good Product ........................just check Indian car market ...................Japanese & Korean cars are more famous than Indian , American , European cars combined .

nobody will buy any Chinese car or motorcycle in India ............or any non-Chinese country .....................Chinese Products are famous for bad quality .
why just cars? china exports so many products, do you think we enjoy a significant trade surplus by exporting nothing to India?

airtel

Country flag
why just cars? china exports so many products, do you think we enjoy a significant trade surplus by exporting nothing to India?
Mainly electronic items because there was western sanction on India , we could not develop semiconductor Industry .

just check the Top semiconductor companies around the world , no Chinese company in top -20 .

China is just providing cheap labors ................You dont have IP rights and technology .

look at this >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_sales_leaders_by_year

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles