Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
MK2 is MK1 update....

ArjunMK2 is getting ERA cover and probably 1500hp engine..

Their is no up-gradation of firepower, Present gun and ammo is sufficient..

The tank's commander will have a panoramic sight with night vision.

"With this upgrade, the commander can carry out his hunting job at night with his thermal sight and engage targets more effectively," Mr. Sundaresh explained.

Another upgrade will see the introduction of an explosive reactive armour panel which will comprise explosives in metallic brick form. These bricks will be mounted not only on the front slope of Arjun-Mk-II tank, but all round it as well.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/11/05/stories/2010110563981500.htm
FMBT is no rocket science, India already produced Tank-ex a 50ton tank..

Read:
http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4717

http://www.indian-military.org/news...do-to-develop-armys-next-generation-tank.html

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
# FMBT's engine will be two-thirds the size of Arjun Mark I MBT's engine,

# FMBT will weigh 50 tonnes.

# Project to develop the transmission for the tank is being launched. Engine and transmission ( aka "Bharat Power Pack") will meet the FMBT's mobility requirements.

# Improvements in material, fuel injection and filtration technologies will contribute to the reduction in the engine size without compromising on power.

These will be major Changes we will see in FMBT
Few more i will add..

# Smooth-bore 120mm..

# New and lighter Armour module..

Rest will be known when we see it ..

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Kunal I think your confusing the Arjun Mk-2 with the FMBT. The MK-2 does not include any structural changes over the Arjun-MK1, it will only have better electronics and gun. The FMBT is still years away and they have not even finalized the design for that!
may i explain it will be Arjun MK-I/ improved. with CLGM, ERA etc.
Arjun MK-II would be FMBT (we have to wait for that)

p2prada

Arjun Mk2(the 50 ton version) is not FMBT Saya.

The FMBT is a whole new tank. Army has still not decided on final design parameters from a recent article. Nevertheless, the army wants a smaller 40 tons tank after 2020. It is supposed to have a low profile and a 125mm gun along with automated turret.

JBH22

No...

MK2 is FMBT..

ArjunMK1 is getting ERA cover and probably 1500hp engine..

Their is no up-gradation of firepower, Present gun and ammo is sufficient..

FMBT is no rocket science, India already produced Tank-ex a 50ton tank..

Read:
http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4717

ERA but there's an info that the Kanchan Armor which is a variant of the Chobham one is sufficient for protecting the Arjun MBT

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
ERA but there's an info that the Kanchan Armor which is a variant of the Chobham one is sufficient for protecting the Arjun MBT
ERA is a kind of add-on which enhance protection from today's AT rounds..

This Aldon is cheap as well as light and effective and DRDO produce it in country..

Therefore its a must have..

Beside Arjun, T-72M1 already use such addons and their are talk abt using it over T-90 too..

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The Kanchan and Chobham are both composite laminate alloy armors that fared well against the APFSDS rounds favoured in anti tank warfare during the 90's and early 2000's , now the threat is more assymetrical and comes from cheap and readily available tandem warhead RPG's and advanced ATGM'S that are man portable, the ERA is essentially a soviet creation and was favored by the eastern bloc nations as it helped their armor gain a comparable level of protection to western MBT'S without sacrificing their lighter weight advantage.Also ERA is relatively easy to replace once it has been "Used " on the battlefield hence lowers turnaround time for a tank.

Welcome

Country flag
I think Arjun Mk II and FMBT is two different things:
Indian army ordered total 248 arjun. In which first 124 is Arjun Mk I and next and last 124 will be Arjun Mk II, which will have more advance feature.

Feature or upgrades in Arjun Mk II:
As part of improving the Arjun to the Mark-II variant, DRDO is continuing to develop some new technology systems for MBT Arjun. in order to improve performance in areas like automatic target locating, tracking and destruction.[19] The Arjun MK-II variant is being developed in coordination with and with the involvement of the Indian Army and will feature several modifications that are being sought by it.

DRDO is developing the Tank Urban Survival Kit which is a series of improvements to the Arjun intended to improve fighting ability in urban environments which includes defensive aids like laser warning, IR jammer, and aerosol smoke grenade system.

CVRDE is in the process of developing tank simulators.

DRDO is developing a Laser Warning Control System (LWCS) in cooperation with Elbit Limited of Israel to be equipped on the Arjun at regimental level trials with T-90s. The MCS is being developed by DRDO to help the tank reduce the threat of interference from all types of sensors and smart munitions of the enemy in the tank's systems. LWCS includes the defensive aids mentioned, and will help reduce the signatures of the tank in the battle field and improve its survivability. DRDO is also co-developing the and Mobile Camouflaging System (MCS) technology along with a Gurgaon-based private sector defence manufacturer Barracuda Camouflaging Limited.

The upgrade also includes a new improved 1500 hp engine.An anti-helicopter round is under development as well.
..............................................................................................

trial of Arjun Mk II will start in this year and will be introduced in army after completion trial.
FMBT is different project of DRDO.The Indian Army plans to induct the FMBT from 2020 onwards. The FMBT will be a lighter tank of 50 tons.

So please don't confuse with Mk II and FMBT.

p2prada

@Welcome

There are 2 Arjun projects. Arjun Mk1 is what we all know.

The Arjun "Mk2" to be tested with ERA and TUSK upgrade is actually the MK1 itself. This tank isn't the Mk2.

The Arjun Mk2 which is being called FMBT here isn't the real FMBT. The Arjun Mk2 is a 50 tons tank with a new 1500Hp engine, new transmissions and a smoothbore gun. Let's not forget a BMS and laser based active protection system.

The FMBT will be a small, 40 tons tank with much more progressive upgrades along with an automated turret with 125mm gun and autoloader.

So, that's 3 tanks in total. 60 tons Arjun Mk1 with TUSK upgrade, 50 tons Arjun Mk2 and 40 tons FMBT.

gogbot

I think Arjun Mk II and FMBT is two different things:
Indian army ordered total 248 arjun. In which first 124 is Arjun Mk I and next and last 124 will be Arjun Mk II, which will have more advance feature.
Not so Army has ordered 248 MK-I's and an additional 124 MK-II.

Giving us a total of 362 Arjun in the fleet. Around 6 regiments to operate in defensive maneuvers in the Thar desert region.

gogbot

The FMBT will be a small, 40 tons tank with much more progressive upgrades along with an automated turret with 125mm gun and autoloader.
is't the 40 tonne tank pretty much the holy grail of tank design , i really don't its possible to make such tank with Current technology.
Especially with all the features.

FMBT has to be 50tonnes.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Not so Army has ordered 248 MK-I's and an additional 124 MK-II.

Giving us a total of 362 Arjun in the fleet. Around 6 regiments to operate in defensive maneuvers in the Thar desert region.
You added an extra order. It is 124+124 mk1. Mk2 isn't ready to order.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
may i explain it will be Arjun MK-I/ improved. with CLGM, ERA etc.
Arjun MK-II would be FMBT (we have to wait for that)
Found, Hindu Article which cleared my doubts: Regarding MK2

Friday, Nov 05, 2010

S. Sundaresh

CHENNAI: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is working on India's future main battle tank (FMBT) with a 1,500-horsepower (HP) indigenous engine. This tank will replace beyond 2020 the imported T-72 tanks, renamed Ajeya, with the Army. Various specifications for the FMBT have been finalised.

"For engine development, we have formed a national team comprising members from the academia, the user, industry and the DRDO. We have also gone in for an international consultant," said S. Sundaresh, Chief Controller (Armaments and Combat Engineering), DRDO.

The first prototype of the indigenous engine would be ready in four to five years.

The DRDO is launching a project to develop the transmission for the tank; the indigenous engine and transmission will together be called Bharat Power Pack and it will meet the FMBT's mobility requirements.

FMBT prototype in five to seven years," Mr. Sundaresh said.

The FMBT will weigh only 50 tonnes compared to Arjun-Mark II's 62 tonnes. The DRDO is simultaneously working on Arjun-Mark II. The volume occupied by the electronics package in the FMBT will be less. The FMBT's engine will be two-thirds the size of Arjun-Mark I's, but will generate 1,500 HP compared to Arjun-Mark I's 1,400 HP.

The Arjun-Mk II tank will have a number of upgrades compared with Arjun-Mk I. Missiles can be fired from the former to destroy long-range targets and bring down attack helicopters. The tank's commander will have a panoramic sight with night vision.

Another upgrade will see the introduction of an explosive reactive armour panel which will comprise explosives in metallic brick form. These bricks will be mounted not only on the front slope of Arjun-Mk-II tank, but all round it as well.

the DRDO Chief Controller said.

Automatic target tracking The fourth upgrade is that Arjun Mk-II will have an automatic target tracking system which will add to the accuracy when firing on a moving target.

P. Sivakumar, CVRDE Director, said Arjun-Mk-II would have a total of 93 upgrades, including the advanced air defence gun system for firing at attack helicopters. ( NEW AAA MG INSTED OF REGULAR NSVT ?, KORD ? )

In phase II, the remaining 79 tanks, with all the 93 improvements, will come off the assembly line. "By 2013-14, the first batch of around 30 tanks will go out," Dr. Sivakumar said.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/11/05/stories/2010110563981500.htm
Therefore as he said that MK2 is basically a MK1 upgrade.. ( Therefore, MK2 = FMBT was incorrect )

And FMBT is a 50 ton..

DRDO is developing a Laser Warning Control System (LWCS) in cooperation with Elbit Limited of Israel to be equipped on the Arjun at regimental level trials with T-90s. The MCS is being developed by DRDO to help the tank reduce the threat of interference from all types of sensors and smart munitions of the enemy in the tank's systems. LWCS includes the defensive aids mentioned, and will help reduce the signatures of the tank in the battle field and improve its survivability. DRDO is also co-developing the and Mobile Camouflaging System (MCS) technology along with a Gurgaon-based private sector defence manufacturer Barracuda Camouflaging Limited.
This is a old news..
Present Arjun have it.

Arjun with ERA and a updated 1500hp engine = Arjun MK1 update /MK2
T-72 with ERA and Engine = T-72 update..

50ton FMBT

Don't follow different news articles with different specifications..

Last edited:

bharadwaj

The D.R.D.O said that if the army places an additional order for Arjun's,then these additional Arjun's will be Mark-2 variant with the upgrades mentioned in Kunal sir's post.So,the additional 124 tanks will be the Mark-2 variant and as the mark 2 has been tested(?) these changes can be immediately incorporated into the production line and the Army will get the Mark-2(?).I still strongly believe that our army should include our Arjun's in their strike corps because of it's low ground pressure and superior overall package and will serve as a huge ego and morale booster to the operators.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal sir's post.So,the additional 124 tanks will be the Mark-2 variant and as the mark 2 has been tested(?)

these changes can be immediately incorporated into the production line and the Army will get the Mark-2(?).

I still strongly believe that our army should include our Arjun's in their strike corps because of it's low ground pressure and superior overall package and will serve as a huge ego and morale booster to the operators.

Arjun Mark II ready for summer and winter trials this year

Within a year of the government approving a project for an upgraded indigenous main battle tank (MBT), India's defence research agency has readied a Mark II version that will undergo summer and winter trials this year.The defence ministry had last May given its nod to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to develop the Arjun MkII MBT which would have enhanced features over the first lot of 124 tanks that have been delivered to the army over the last two years.

http://geneva-globaldefence.blogspot.com/2011/01/arjun-mark-ii-ready-for-summer-and.html

Army needs 500 above Arjuns to introduce in strike corps, Which is not possible through MK1/2 for now..

bharadwaj

Army needs 500 above Arjuns to introduce in strike corps, Which is not possible through MK1/2 for now..
Wow,that's a bummer!!!Another question sir,can the steel tracks be Indian(ised) by SAIL,TATA STEEL etc.I have also seen that future tanks have the option of using rubber tracks(Discovery-Future Weapons)so can any private company like Apollo,MRF etc provide rubber tracks which can sustain a heavy tank as well as have the characteristics of the traditional steel tracks???If yes,then has any such move been encouraged by the MoD and Army???

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Another question sir,can the steel tracks be Indian(ised) by SAIL,TATA STEEL etc.I have also seen that future tanks have the option of using rubber tracks(Discovery-Future Weapons)so can any private company like Apollo,MRF etc provide rubber tracks which can sustain a heavy tank as well as have the characteristics of the traditional steel tracks???If yes,then has any such move been encouraged by the MoD and Army???
The tracks of Arjun was previously imported from German company Diehl for Prototypes only..

Presently the track Arjun used double-pin steel track with detachable aluminum alloy rubberized track blocks , the rubber blocks are good over Roads as rubber`s friction don't damage roads, these tracks are now being manufactured by L & T, an Indian company

Rubber Tracks Make Military Vehicles More Efficient, Durable, and Quieter

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/12/military-vehicles-apc-tanks-rubber-tracks-mpg.php

Looks More Like a Toy, but Performs Better
Recently, we wrote about the fuel consumption of some common US military vehicles (f.ex., the M2A3 and M3A3 Bradley Fighting Vehicles get about 1.7 MPG and the M1A1 Abrams Battle Tank gets about 0.6 MPG). This matters because we're not talking about small amounts of fuel: according to NPR, all the tanks, planes and ships of the U.S. military burn about 340,000 barrels of oil per day, making it the "single-largest purchaser and consumer of oil in the world."

One way to make tracked vehicles both more eco-friendly and safer and more comfortable for the people inside them is to use new high-tech rubber tracks. Read on for more details.

The Economist has an interesting piece about this in their technology quarterly edition. But let's start from the beginning...

The Washing-Machine, and Not a Delicate Cycle
Most tracked military vehicles use tracks with metal plates. This has several inconvenients, including severe vibrations (some soldiers call Armored Personnel Carriers (APC) washing-machines) that are bad both for the health of the people inside and for the mechanical health of vehicles, leading to more frequent breakdowns.

These metal tracks are also bad for roads, causing a lot of damage that must be repaired, and they wear out fast. "On average, the segments of a steel track must be repaired or replaced after just 400 km (250 miles) of use." The new rubber tracks last more than 3,000 km (1865 miles) before they need to be replaced.

Fuel economy is also affected: Metal tracks are heavy, and you also need to carry replacement tracks, which means you need a beefier suspension. All things considered, rubber tracks could improve fuel economy by about 1/3, according to TACOM, the American army's Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command. That's significant when you think about what kind of MPG Tanks and APCs get.

Rubber tracks also provide more traction, in part because, being lighter, they can be made wider than steel tracks. That means vehicles fitted with them do not get stuck in the mud. The vehicles accelerate faster, too, and drivers say they handle almost as well on paved roads as wheeled vehicles do. On top of this, they are quieter.
The only problem is that so far these rubber tracks (many of which are made in Quebec, Canada, by Soucy International) are not yet strong enough for 50-tonne battle tanks. But they are getting there, and already some 30-tonne vehicles are being tested with them.
As for this, I don't know, I think its in a test phase and other MBTs are not using it for now so does Arjun...

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The D.R.D.O said that if the army places an additional order for Arjun's,then these additional Arjun's will be Mark-2 variant with the upgrades mentioned in Kunal sir's post.So,the additional 124 tanks will be the Mark-2 variant and as the mark 2 has been tested(?) these changes can be immediately incorporated into the production line and the Army will get the Mark-2(?).I still strongly believe that our army should include our Arjun's in their strike corps because of it's low ground pressure and superior overall package and will serve as a huge ego and morale booster to the operators.
They only cleared development of Mk2 the same month they ordered the extra 124 tanks. It won't be ready by the time the new tanks start to come which will be soon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles