Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

cannonfodder

Country flag
Anybody translated?

See unplanned mismanagement is why the Arjun's platform was unfit for what it was meant to do, despite its technological achievements... Still remains so.

Here's an example. You may know that Arjun can ford shallow waterbodies with ZERO water-ingress, unlike the T90. But that quality becomes absolutely useless!.. After a lot of preparation & attaching a snorkel T-72/90 can cross 5m deep water obstacles. If Arjun had a built-in folding snorkel it could be able to do so with flip of a swtich. But it doesn't. So what we have here is the bloody thing crossing a fucking high-drain on a prepared bridge that had to be seperately purchased for it. 😅View attachment 76891

Same with the armour layout issue. With slight angular modifications the weak spots could be removed, but instead they made it worse in Mark1A. View attachment 76892

Some years ago, I had read an article stating 500 needed to be produced to even break even. Best luck to suppliers setting up infrastructure for such small orders after such long period.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Some years ago, I had read an article stating 500 needed to be produced to even break even. Best luck to suppliers setting up infrastructure for such small orders after such long period.
Is has served its purpose... to reach tech maturity. Another 118 Mark1A would be enough for now. Can't dwell on a design that was backdated by '80s standard & inspired from the Vijayanta tank platform.

Now redesigned Mark2 or FMBT is required to move forward.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Absolutely nit. It can't be done... Arjun is already nearly large as the A7 turret. Discussed before. It needs a different style of redesign (also discussed before).
Only the Mk-1 versions bro, not the Mk-2 models, infact even Mk-2 needs some redesigning, looks like a T-90 with less armour and protection.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
sorry if i reposted
ALL CREIDTS GOES TO @Gautam Sarkar
this the new 125mm smoothbore under study by DRDO. will replace arjun's 120mm rifled

View attachment 77783

View attachment 77784

View attachment 77785

View attachment 77786

View attachment 77787

WHAT?!! THEY PLANNING ON A 125MM FOR ARJUN?.. Singlepiece (otherwise that'd require autoloader)?

Source please... A link would do.

Only the Mk-1 versions bro, not the Mk-2 models
I meant Mark1 only. It is significantly larger than Leopard2A4 turret... compared in old posts. Mark1A (there's no Mark2 yet) it's the same size as Leopard2A7 turret.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think the new 125 mm Smoothbore gun project (which is somewhat dereived from ATAGS) is for FMBT.

If that has to be incorporated for Arjun mk2, then a radical redesign of turret is needed as well as a Leclerc style autoloader.

It will be very diffult to incorporate in existing MK1s and MK1As(if ordered), however not impossible.

Also, from a logistic point of view it makes a huge sense if we can settle on a single caliber, be it 120 mm, 125 mm or futuristic 130 mm.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
If that has to be incorporated for Arjun mk2, then a radical redesign of turret is needed as well as a Leclerc style autoloader.

It will be very diffult to incorporate in existing MK1s and MK1As(if ordered), however not impossible.

Also, from a logistic point of view it makes a huge sense if we can settle on a single caliber, be it 120 mm, 125 mm or futuristic 130 mm.
No biggie... They can easily fit a 20-25 round autoloader in the bustle with single-piece 125mm rounds & move some crap to the hull.

Mark2 will have to be like Tejas Mark2, ie, a derivative but new design. Mark1A will be the limit for Mark 1. But it's necessary. Presently this is Arjun's best-case-scenario armour...
IMG_20210211_131008.jpg

...& this is the worst-case-scenario armour.
IMG_20210211_081426.jpg

They were ok for the 90s, but 21st century requires better layout. So turret design will have to change anyway.

And the design of Arjun Mark 2 will change. They're taking far too long with it. Even the 1500hp engine is cleared & ready.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I think the new 125 mm Smoothbore gun project (which is somewhat dereived from ATAGS) is for FMBT.

The smooth bore model can very much be implemented in the Mk-1 model, given certain modifications!! They can also implement the model or a little sized down model of the turret and can be used on the WhAp as a wheeled IFV!!

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No biggie... They can easily fit a 20-25 round autoloader in the bustle with single-piece 125mm rounds & move some crap to the hull.

Mark2 will have to be like Tejas Mark2, ie, a derivative but new design. Mark1A will be the limit for Mark 1. But it's necessary. Presently this is Arjun's best-case-scenario armour...View attachment 77788
...& this is the worst-case-scenario armour. View attachment 77789

They were ok for the 90s, but 21st century requires better layout. So turret design will have to change anyway.

And the design of Arjun Mark 2 will change. They're taking far too long with it. Even the 1500hp engine is cleared & ready.
125mm gun is not ready yet.

not so dravidian

Country flag

not so dravidian

Country flag
that what i initially thought. then an aquiantance of mine told that FRCV will be equipped with 140mm or 150mm smoothbore like armata.

not so dravidian

Country flag
@ bleh ji, can u post a analysis from the link i hve sent earlier.
i luv tanks more than any other defense product, but too young to understand as i hve no clue

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not you have red effect and binkov all lambast russkie products. We have to acknowledge Arjun has problems but yes it's better than present t-72. We can hope it evolves like LCA project.
Well, to his credit, Red Effect did bring up some valid points although he was dead wrong about the ammo stowage.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
sorry if i reposted
ALL CREIDTS GOES TO @Gautam Sarkar
this the new 125mm smoothbore under study by DRDO. will replace arjun's 120mm rifled

View attachment 77783

View attachment 77784

View attachment 77785

View attachment 77786

View attachment 77787
The source for this entire info is a particular review paper from the 2017 Defence Science Journal volume 67, the special edition for Combat Vehicles: https://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/issue/view/582

There is another review paper there talking about GNMBT design: https://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/11426/5924

The paper which is source for these images you posted: https://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/11441/5960

Make of it what you will. These are just indicative. Only hints of what the real thing will look like can be found on here. Since the issue is from 2017, nothing new will pop out of it, most likely. But you are free to try.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Hai a noob question. can someone educate me on why Drdo has not been as successful as Isro? Or is this even an honest comparison ?

Many thanks.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles