Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Hai a noob question. can someone educate me on why Drdo has not been as successful as Isro? Or is this even an honest comparison ?

Many thanks.

Simple DRDO products are meant for a very demanding customer in Indian armed forces who have a tremendous import fetish. DRDO products are often compared with their American, Russian and Eeuropean counterparts. In many instances they fall short.

While ISRO is its own customer. They design, fabricate and launch most of their satellities. If ISRO satellities are compared with their American, Russian and Eeuropean analogueous, they too will fall short in many cases (especially in terms of Rocket technology). However, that does not matter to the customer ISRO since the primary goal is self reliance and national pride.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This was the last update we had on Arjun 2...

...and nothing since then. If the project isn't dead (&we heard no such news) then we'll see a Mark2 at some point. Maybe Defexpo 2022.
At this point, I think we should just go for the T-14 Armata for replacing the T-72M1 while continuing work on the NGMBT which then can supersede the T-90S later down the line.

Killbot

Country flag
At this point, I think we should just go for the T-14 Armata for replacing the T-72M1 while continuing work on the NGMBT which then can supersede the T-90S later down the line.
T-14 is expensive as hell right?

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well, then let the Army languish with the abomination we have since come to know as Arjun while the Pakis acquire stuff like VT-4s and maybe even the Altay down the line.
T-14 is expensive as hell right?
Yeah, as are the Arjun MkIAs. And besides, with the Armata, we wouldn't need to replace the T-72M1s one to one basis. A thousand of those new tanks at most should suffice.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yeah, as are the Arjun MkIAs. And besides, with the Armata, we wouldn't need to replace the T-72M1s one to one basis. A thousand of those new tanks at most should suffice.
No. Mark1A are priced marginally above the vintage T-90S being ordered... And no matter what the Russians claim, they haven't dared to field T-14 anywhere, not even a token force like Su-57. IA thankfully has an aversion to untested hardware.

Eben ordering T-90MS would have been simpler. They ain't doing that either, but upgrading the T-72s to T-90S standard.
Some chatter claim this is because those are meant to take place of T-55 & Shermans before that in armoured regiments, while Mark1A/2 will fill the role of Centurion & Vijayanta in RAPIDs.

Last edited:

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No. Mark1A are priced marginally above the vintage T-90S being ordered... And no matter what the Russians claim, they haven't dared to field T-14 anywhere, not even a token force like Su-57.

Our armour situation is fucked up, but so is for Paki & Chinki. VT-4 or Type-96/99 are equally shit platforms.
Front armour of Chinese tanks looks adequate but later I realised it's taqiya.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Front armour of Chinese tanks looks adequate but later I realised it's taqiya.
Yeah them are less that T-90 angular thichness even in AK-1 & VT-4... But on the other hand, they hold the advantage if directly facing our frontally weak tanks & dug-in to hide their big lower plate.

Anyways I edited my original post.

Last edited:

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yeah them are less that T-90 angular thichness even in AK-1 & VT-4... But on the other hand, they hold the advantage if directly facing our frontally weak tanks & dug-in to hide their big lower plate.

Anyways I edited my original post.
Thread.
EKerrhoUcAAgNQM.jpeg

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
with the Armata, we wouldn't need to replace the T-72M1s one to one basis. A thousand of those new tanks at most should suffice.
Could you please elaborate on this? We are slightly short of the ideal number of armoured regiments we need. So if we don't replace T-72 on a one to one basis, do you suggest we do away with some armoured regiments? Or else should we reduce the size of an armoured regiment and get rid of the reserve tanks? Or are you suggesting that we replace 1000 T-72 with Armata and the rest with T-90?

Bajirao

Country flag
Hai a noob question. can someone educate me on why Drdo has not been as successful as Isro? Or is this even an honest comparison ?

Many thanks.
Because except from satellite launching all other isro projects are mainly luxary,whereas drdo projects are for survival...isro has started launching heavy satellite very recently,compare isro with nasa,spaceex and compare lm,boeing with drdo,you can see drdo is more successfull than isro..a reliable turbofan engine harder to design than a rocket engine...

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
No. Mark1A are priced marginally above the vintage T-90S being ordered... And no matter what the Russians claim, they haven't dared to field T-14 anywhere, not even a token force like Su-57. IA thankfully has an aversion to untested hardware.

Eben ordering T-90MS would have been simpler. They ain't doing that either, but upgrading the T-72s to T-90S standard.
Some chatter claim this is because those are meant to take place of T-55 & Shermans before that in armoured regiments, while Mark1A/2 will fill the role of Centurion & Vijayanta in RAPIDs.
Well, then let the Army languish with the abomination we have since come to know as Arjun while the Pakis acquire stuff like VT-4s and maybe even the Altay down the line.

Pakistan is already in the process of acquiring 300 VT-4 tanks, its a 52 ton tank equipped with the GL5 APS.
It will be interesting to see whether the Army still keeps languishing over the piecemeal orders of Arjun Mk1A or inducts 300-500 of them to counter Porkis

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles