AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Crusader53

I never said India would get a better TOT/offset deal with the F-35A as it will with the Rafale. Yet, the latter will be vastly outclassed by several 5th Generation Types entering service in the first half of the next decade. So, what is it gaining? In addition while it is important for India to gain technology and develop its own Defense Industry. Nonetheless, it can't forget that it must have the capability to defend itself until he can produce equipment at least equal to contemporaries.

In my opinion as I have stated before. I think India should purchase 5th Generation Designs for the US and Russia. Which, would compete against each other to give India the best deal. They would also provide India with unmatched Air Superiority and Strike Aircraft that China cannot likely counter. Then India can focus not a 5th Generation AMCA but leap frog to a 6th Generation one. Which, India could get in on the ground floor.

What I see is India spending vast resources on a 4.5 Generation Strike Fighter that will be outclassed in another 10-15 years. Then developing a 5th Generation Fighter that will again be behind its contemporaries with it enters service in another 20-25 years.

Remember, Europe countered 4th Generation Types (F-15's, F-16's, Mig-29's, Su-27's, etc. etc.) with the Typhoon, Rafale, and Gripen. (i.e. 4.5 Gen) While, the US and Russia leaped frogged with 5th Generation Fighters.

Sorry, for the omission my mistake....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Internal Payload based on earlier model :

==================================

Internal Payload based on recent model :

Reactions: WMD

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why would anybody "teach" us how to manufacture?

It's different coming from a 126 aircraft fighter deal. But the only way to create new manufacturing techniques is to first order something to create it.

If you are looking for new manufacturing techniques, then Su-30 won't do. It is ancient
Actually it's no more question of 'why' when we assume we will learn new manufacturing techniques from Rafale deal. If that's 'no', which is what it is --- most of 108 so-called HAL Rafales would be build from S-KDKs and rest from F-KDKs because a) IAF needs them fast and HAL is simply not capable of it b) It takes time to learn new skills and it is simply not feasible to put wait for 4 years (at least) for first locally assembled Rafale--- then we will end up wasting whole lot for not learning the most required skill which we falsely assumed we will.........We have cheated ourselves enough, four decades ain't less.

As for learning from new. Well past 2015, we can and shall learn these skills from PMFA program. I guess Russian PAK-FA will sure enough stand parallel to Rafale program in terms of manufacturing efficiency.

Anyway, learning manufacturing or discovering most efficient way of it is most about 'hit and trial' and less about others because no one is handing over golden key. So no matter what is said about what we can learn from a bought product or through consultancy* the fact stands up and clear that a lot of hit and trial will still be needed .

With bit of luck, some consultancy and lot of hard work (only possible if this need it taken up as National Program) things can get to acceptable standards with or without any program.

Nevertheless LCA program is something where we have lot of flexibility as we are responsible for drawing blueprints and manufacturing chart. Here an experienced partner can scale down risk factor and rightfully so ADA-HAL is hiring consultancy from that matter.

*When i say learn from others, it automatically excludes not-for-sell techniques, which won't come to us pre-packed, regardless of we take consultancy route or a mega product deal.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I never said India would get a better TOT/offset deal with the F-35A as it will with the Rafale. Yet, the latter will be vastly outclassed by several 5th Generation Types entering service in the first half of the next decade. So, what is it gaining? In addition while it is important for India to gain technology and develop its own Defense Industry. Nonetheless, it can't forget that it must have the capability to defend itself until he can produce equipment at least equal to contemporaries.

In my opinion as I have stated before. I think India should purchase 5th Generation Designs for the US and Russia. Which, would compete against each other to give India the best deal. They would also provide India with unmatched Air Superiority and Strike Aircraft that China cannot likely counter. Then India can focus not a 5th Generation Type but leap frog to a 6th Generation. Which, India could get in on the ground floor.

What I see is India spending vast resources on a 4.5 Generation Strike Fighter that will be outclassed in another 10-15 years. Then developing a 5th Generation Fighter that will again be behind its contemporaries with it enters service in another 20-25 years.

Remember, Europe countered 4th Generation Types (F-15's, F-16's, Mig-29's, Su-27's, etc. etc.) with the Typhoon, Rafale, and Gripen. (i.e. 4.5 Gen) While, the US and Russia leaped frogged with 5th Generation Fighters.
What you are saying about Rafale deal is right. However like to tell you with all due respect that we have progressed beyond the point where we need to buy whole product. We today are capable of designing our own jets. What we lack in, is a percentage of sub-systems which are needed and which we can't develop ourselves as yet.

So to meet emerging challenges, we shall design our AMCA and stuff it with world class technology; whatever we can comes from us and whatever we can't (as yet) shall come from purchase.

This way we will have a tailor-made 5th generation fighter for our needs, save whole lot money (which can then go for development of sub-systems for replacing imported ones) and update our 'log-book of expertise' which is of paramount importance.

Leapfrogging is not a good practice, in reality a vary ill one, we learned it the harder way and is the first thing LCA program teaches us.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Isn't this AMCA thread ?
Kunal Sir. in my opinion, questionable feasibility of Rafale purchase with regard to emerging threats and required and possible counteractions makes almost imperative to have it(Rafale) mentioned besides F-35 simply because it is in same weight class with AMCA.

I hope you will accept this logic.

Crusader53

What you are saying about Rafale deal is right. However like to tell you with all due respect that we have progressed beyond the point where we need to buy whole product. We today are capable of designing our own jets. What we lack in, is a percentage of sub-systems which are needed and which we can't develop ourselves as yet.

So to meet emerging challenges, we shall design our AMCA and stuff it will world class technology; whatever we can comes from us and whatever we can't (as yet) shall come from purchase.

This way we will have a tailor-made 5th generation fighter for our needs, save whole lot money (which can then go for development of sub-systems for replacing imported ones) and update our 'log-book of expertise' which is of paramount importance.

Leapfrogging is not a good practice, in reality a vary ill one, we learned it the harder way and is the first thing LCA program teaches us.
Sorry, India needs much more than sub-systems. As it has little to no experience with Stealth to name just one. Which, will be at the heart of any 5th or 6th Generation Design.

if the AMCA takes as long to develop as the current LCA. The odds are that it will also come up short. This is not good when your Air Force is the cornerstone of your countries defense!

That said, while its not the best solution in my opinion. India could approach France and consider developing the AMCA as a 6th Generation with them. This would be a good longer term solution. Yet, it wouldn't do nothing to provide India with 5th Generation Types needed today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Did India rejected F-35 ? Yes..
Did F-18 got out of MRCA ? Yes ..

Then there is no use talking about hypothetically as its zero to practical, as it is not in our best interest on first place..

=================================

Btw, Things we will learn from MRCA Rafale will go into LCA-2 and AMCA as well..

Sorry, India needs much more than sub-systems. As it has little to no experience with Stealth to name just one. Which, will be at the heart of any 5th or 6th Generation Design.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Should be powered by at least 2 90KN powerplants, but it is yet to be seen.
Anything above 100KN. May be F-414 EPE with TVC nozzle (if GTRE attempt does not comes in time or fails).

The Director, GTRE Bangalore on behalf of the President of India, invites "Expression of Interest (EOI) from industry/organization for the following work: -

1. Design and development of three stage 5:1 pressure ratio all Blisk fan for 75/110 kN thrust class engine
http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/drdojsp/downloadtndr.jsp?tenderName=4083&McrId=GTRE*Gas%20Turbine%20Research%20Establishment&p=advdesidoc.pdf.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

if the AMCA takes as long to develop as the current LCA. The odds are that it will also come up short. This is not good when your Air Force is the cornerstone of your countries defense!

That said, while its not the best solution in my opinion. India could approach France and consider developing the AMCA as a 6th Generation with them. This would be a good longer term solution. Yet, it wouldn't do nothing to provide India with 5th Generation Types needed today.
For all what you said, project FGFA/PMFA is suffice for meeting both requirements a) having a 5th generation fighter for meeting immediate needs and b) acquiring experience wrt. 5th generation fighter for AMCA program.

And for experimenting with stealth, we have USAV program...DRDO will do lot of hit and trial there..

just4nikhilesh

hiding from radar is easy as you know about F-22 but what about other censers like IRST OLS they can able to detect missile launch at 50 km at the same time radar can detect F-22 at 20 or less km so raptor is not invisable it have huge IR signature and same thing with other fighter too

halloweene

I will cite a former head engineer in Dassault, talking about Atlantique 2 : "If a raptor would have switched on its APG77, it would have instantly detected it"... Cant disclose everything.

p2prada

Oh my god...........are they planning to make it out of mithril? :pound:
Sure 19 tonnes MTOW to 25 tonnes MTOW. Most probably around 20 tonnes.

Don't see what's so funny for what seems to be obvious.

p2prada

Actually it's no more question of 'why' when we assume we will learn new manufacturing techniques from Rafale deal. If that's 'no', which is what it is --- most of 108 so-called HAL Rafales would be build from S-KDKs and rest from F-KDKs because a) IAF needs them fast and HAL is simply not capable of it
No. The Rafale deal will come with an indigenous production run.

HAL not being capable was only for the LCA program, which HAL denied later.

Of course we need to see how well HAL absorbs technology. But if we can't absorb this technology then the AMCA program is screwed.

then we will end up wasting whole lot for not learning the most required skill which we falsely assumed we will.........We have cheated ourselves enough, four decades ain't less.
Huh? What? You think HAL will not learn anything from assembly. Have you even talked to HAL engineers? You are only assuming there will be no indigenous production after SKD and CKD phase. How about waiting for it.

HAL isn't ADA. Leave the designing aspect of Indian projects to ADA right now. We will worry about HAL much later. They will be busy with PMF either way.

Absorbing new manufacturing processes now while we are designing and testing 5th gen aircraft is the way to go. HAL can use their own experience from PMF to better Rafale's manufacturing processes and apply it to PMFs and later AMCAs.

As for learning from new. Well past 2015, we can and shall learn these skills from PMFA program. I guess Russian PAK-FA will sure enough stand parallel to Rafale program in terms of manufacturing efficiency.
HAL may very well better it. PMF is a program expected in the next decade. Heck Rafale's assembly line may end up coming to a close by the time PMF is ready. What we set up for PMF won't give us the time to setup the same for AMCA or even AURA class UCAVs.

It is not necessary the Russians may follow French processes either. So there will be newer methods to learn.

With bit of luck, some consultancy and lot of hard work (only possible if this need it taken up as National Program) things can get to acceptable standards with or without any program.
That's what they said when LCA started. A little bit of luck and consultancy. We can see what that lead to.

Consultancy is not easy here. You need to buy their products to learn modern manufacturing processes. Tools and equipment costs billions. Costs are absorbed by buying their products. Also the tools and equipment are specific to the product, it won't suit other products. The consultants biggest experience is with the products they have worked on.

If they come into our domestic programs, then we will have to give away information about our own development. This won't be to our interests and IAF won't accept a compromised product in the end. It is fine for LCA, it is between a 3rd and 4th gen aircraft. But it won't be fine for LCA Mk2 and definitely won't do for AMCA.

Consultancy is like going to the doctor and stripping down to your birthday suit, so he comes and grabs you by the balls. You give away everything.

Nevertheless LCA program is something where we have lot of flexibility as we are responsible for drawing blueprints and manufacturing chart. Here an experienced partner can scale down risk factor and rightfully so ADA-HAL is hiring consultancy from that matter.
It is fine for LCA. Not worth the effort for AMCA and AURA.

Buy stuff now, so we can use it later. Simply remove the third party involvement in the long run. It has been the same for so many other programs. Russians were involved in Arihant, Agni (through SLV) etc. But both are TDs. Once we start developing operational systems, remove the third party.

p2prada

Anything above 100KN. May be F-414 EPE with TVC nozzle (if GTRE attempt does not comes in time or fails).
It means they are being careful and making sure they will deliver an engine that will allow for weight increases in AMCA.

The way LCA was designed, the designers were very confident that the LCA will never weigh above 5 tonnes and hence will not need an engine above 80 KN and you already know how bad a decision that was. That way even GTRE designed the Kaveri to not exceed 80 KN with current technologies.

75-110 KN is a very, very big margin.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles