ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

vishnugupt

Country flag
MRFA is flying. Is Mk2 flying already?
Where MRFA is flying? At your home?? Or at LAC??

There is saying(Not person comment), Apne baap ko baap bolte hai, padosi ke baap ko nhi. Contrary, UN forces have 36 daddies.

Talk about availability when will MRFA available otherwise it is non-existent for us.

By the time MRFA fly in Indian sky I can give you person guarantee that MWF will also fly.

Same argument you used to give for Tejas mk1 where is IFR where is BVR now look Mig-21 is crashing and pilots are dieing.

Now Tejas is there but still we are forced to operate Mig-21 till 2025 because short sightness of Gyaanis who always have some reason to push back local.

Now keep giving these stupid reason and I will ask you again by 2027/28 when IAF will be in more pathetic situation and MRFA will be flying as flying today (Non existent)

Chinmoy

Country flag
MRFA is not meant for interception missions, that is the role of the Tejas.
And for that role, we are going to need far more than 123
That was the role of Tejas when it was conceived in 80's to replace Mig-21, which was our interceptor. Tejas design wise is a Multi role fighter rather then an interceptor.

binayak95

Country flag
MRFA is not meant for interception missions, that is the role of the Tejas.
And for that role, we are going to need far more than 123
Interceptor! What year are we in? 1971 ? Is the 104 Starfighter being inducted into PAF?

For crying out loud. The Tejas is a true multi role bird - and she excels at ground pounding as per what was observed during GaganShakti.

That said, theres enough space in the IAF's vacuum to have Mk2 AND a 4 squadrons of MRFAs.

flanker99

Country flag
Interceptor! What year are we in? 1971 ? Is the 104 Starfighter being inducted into PAF?

For crying out loud. The Tejas is a true multi role bird - and she excels at ground pounding as per what was observed during GaganShakti.

That said, theres enough space in the IAF's vacuum to have Mk2 AND a 4 squadrons of MRFAs.
Chasing after mrfa is fools dream just order 2-3 sqd of rafale and be done with the nonsense

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

I know that extremely well, Tejas is an excellent multirole platform while being cheap to procure and operate.
With PLAAF increasing its LAC incursions, and IAF scrambling its Su30 and Rafale in response, which are clearly overkill, the Tejas fits the bill perfectly for such missions with added capability of conducting A2G missions

johnj

Like FGFA pgrm, it is the time to cancel MRFA pgrm and better to focus on MWF, becz it take 6~7 years minimum to conclude the deal, the time frame required for development of MWF, also Rafale production line is busy for next 3~4 years, and its demand is increasing, better to start negotiation now for 2sqn before other countries makes further orders.

MonaLazy

Unreliable IDRW, but this seems reasonable.

IAF plans to retire Mig-29UPG by 2027-28, Jaguar by 2034.
Published July 31, 2022 | By admin
SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / IDRW.ORG.

Indian Air Force (IAF) will be retiring 4 squadrons of Mig-21Bis starting from this year till 2025 and now also has revealed that nearly 3 squadrons of the upgraded Mig-29UPG that were procured in the mid-’80s to counter Pakistan’s Purchase of 40 F-16A/B will also be retired beginning from 2027 onwards.

Mig-29UPG squadrons that will be number plated one each per year and will be getting Tejas Mk2, a Medium-weight fighter jet from 2028-29 onwards. In the next 5 years, IAF also has plans to start retiring some of the older Jaguar DARIN-I and DARIN-II Jaguar ground-strike aircraft but the whole fleet will continue till 2034, but only upgraded Jaguar DARIN-III will fly past 2030.

IAF in the next 15 years is planning to induct nearly 340 fighter jets, that includes 40 AMCA Mk1, 83 Tejas Mk1A, 106 Tejas Mk2, and 114 MRFA jets. In this period, IAF will be retiring 4 Squadrons of Mig-21, 3 Squadrons of Mig-29, 3 Squadrons of Jaguar DARIN-II, and 3 Squadrons of Jaguar DARIN-III.

It is also likely that IAF might procure up to 3 squadrons of dual-use trainer cum combat jets based on the LCA Trainer configuration called LCA LIFT. While IAF is still tight-lipped about its plans for the 3 squadrons of Mirage-2000-5 that it operates but it will likely operate beyond 2030.

Tejas Mk2 was to replace all three Mig-29UPG, Jaguar, and Mirage-2000 fighter types and it is likely that after 106 more will be 3 squadrons of Tejas Mk2 will be ordered.

Own comment- Mig-21Bis, Mig-29UPGs & slowly even the Jaguar will be phased out, could mean either the Mk2 or MRFA is building steam. Or that they are planning defensively, even as fighter squadron numbers drop but hoping S-400, rockets, missiles & UCAVs can hold off the Chinaman. Or that they are being really aggressive, once the squadrons drop perilously then GoI will have to pony up cash for MRFA soon. Either ways by retiring old airframes pilot lives will be saved.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Like FGFA pgrm, it is the time to cancel MRFA pgrm and better to focus on MWF, becz it take 6~7 years minimum to conclude the deal, the time frame required for development of MWF, also Rafale production line is busy for next 3~4 years, and its demand is increasing, better to start negotiation now for 2sqn before other countries makes further orders.
Unlike FGFA the aircraft in MRFA are very real, effective and technologically superior. One can say they can even be effective against Su-57 and can even dominate it.
FGFA as scrapped because of sub-standard and bogus technology, exorbitant cost and Russian arrogance.
This is not the case with MRFA.
FGFA was a good riddance.

Kumata

Country flag
Dont have money to commit 6 more MK1 or MK2 sqd , but want to operate 300 MKI + 150 Rafale..

clowns on this thread and IAF top brass are high on some serious weed.
muh govt just announced 1.64 lakh crore equal to 20 billion USD Social security scheme for babu, 's in BSNL under the strategic importance... 😂 😂

Who said we don, t have money... Jnu auntie daily announces record GST collections. this problem is that Antony syndrome have hit kadi nind also as for as I can.

I am missing Manohar parikar. with baba going full throttle on atm nirbhar & Amrit Kal.. I do not expect anymore rafaels..

As for retirement of MIG29 UPG goes.. all I can think in my heart is 😛😛😛😛😛

Let them get rid of MIG21, by 25 first.

Kumata

Country flag
Unlike FGFA the aircraft in MRFA are very real, effective and technologically superior. One can say they can even be effective against Su-57 and can even dominate it.
FGFA as scrapped because of sub-standard and bogus technology, exorbitant cost and Russian arrogance.
This is not the case with MRFA.
FGFA was a good riddance.
Key is time and material.. su 57 was a wrong move more so when ruskies refused tech from start but optimists that we are... we thought we will get thru it is... wasted few hundred crore and got zilch.. my money wasted but who tell this to babus in Defense ministry..

Looking at cost think 295 million USD down the drain... 😂

The Shrike

Country flag

Unreliable IDRW, but this seems reasonable.

IAF plans to retire Mig-29UPG by 2027-28, Jaguar by 2034.
Published July 31, 2022 | By admin
SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / IDRW.ORG.

Indian Air Force (IAF) will be retiring 4 squadrons of Mig-21Bis starting from this year till 2025 and now also has revealed that nearly 3 squadrons of the upgraded Mig-29UPG that were procured in the mid-’80s to counter Pakistan’s Purchase of 40 F-16A/B will also be retired beginning from 2027 onwards.

Mig-29UPG squadrons that will be number plated one each per year and will be getting Tejas Mk2, a Medium-weight fighter jet from 2028-29 onwards. In the next 5 years, IAF also has plans to start retiring some of the older Jaguar DARIN-I and DARIN-II Jaguar ground-strike aircraft but the whole fleet will continue till 2034, but only upgraded Jaguar DARIN-III will fly past 2030.

IAF in the next 15 years is planning to induct nearly 340 fighter jets, that includes 40 AMCA Mk1, 83 Tejas Mk1A, 106 Tejas Mk2, and 114 MRFA jets. In this period, IAF will be retiring 4 Squadrons of Mig-21, 3 Squadrons of Mig-29, 3 Squadrons of Jaguar DARIN-II, and 3 Squadrons of Jaguar DARIN-III.

It is also likely that IAF might procure up to 3 squadrons of dual-use trainer cum combat jets based on the LCA Trainer configuration called LCA LIFT. While IAF is still tight-lipped about its plans for the 3 squadrons of Mirage-2000-5 that it operates but it will likely operate beyond 2030.

Tejas Mk2 was to replace all three Mig-29UPG, Jaguar, and Mirage-2000 fighter types and it is likely that after 106 more will be 3 squadrons of Tejas Mk2 will be ordered.

Own comment- Mig-21Bis, Mig-29UPGs & slowly even the Jaguar will be phased out, could mean either the Mk2 or MRFA is building steam. Or that they are planning defensively, even as fighter squadron numbers drop but hoping S-400, rockets, missiles & UCAVs can hold off the Chinaman. Or that they are being really aggressive, once the squadrons drop perilously then GoI will have to pony up cash for MRFA soon. Either ways by retiring old airframes pilot lives will be saved.
If I am not wrong all the Mig-29, most of the M-2000, and many of the Jaguar airframes will reach ~40 years life later this decade. I'm sceptical any of these will be able to fly well into the 2030's. So essentially we will have 21-22 sq of MKI+Tejas+Rafale in about a decades time and will need to induct 10 further new sq worth of fighters just to stay at low 30's squadron strength. Truely messed situation being further messed up by foot dragging on Tejas Mk-2 and AMCA development funding.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
This was what IAF has been saying since 2018. Twitteratis could keep on dreaming that they pressurize IAF to do damage control.
Saying since 2018 and not keeping that portion in a press talk about same in 2022 and clarifying afterwards about "commitment" is obviously a damage control. Twitteratis believing in that "commitment" is actually a day dreaming.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
We are not USA and IAF do not have black cheque to place order and pay advance and wait for years to come. They will take decisions according to their requirements and cash limitations. One of the common things I observed in many forum members is they speak as if money is not at all a constraint and there is free flow of cash to do what ever they please. I wish that could be true but reality is far from that.
I don't need to remind you that a big amount from budget allocated to forces is sent back at the end of the year. Navy actually invest and commit in a program, they take keen interest and provide active consultation unlike IAF and IA who change goal posts frequently.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles