ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Enquirer

I don't think this will going to happen for two reasons
1) Mk1a in pipeline, Mig29, Additional Su30mki, Rafale, Delaying phage out of Mig 27
1) buying big-ticket arms would be a political headache for any party in India. BJP has confidence but they prefer indigenous solution over a headache ( Rafale taught them a good lesson). For UPA ( Thugbandhan ), forget jets they will not dare to buy even a tyre due to fear, mistrust among allies and leaders
I agree with you on the political headache!
The same headache that kept the forces bereft of modern equipment for decades.
Mk1A production will complete 3-4 years before Mk2 production can begin.

The falling count will need 6 new squadrons. If they manage 2 MiG-29s and 2 Su-30MKIs then they still beed to go for 2-3 Rafale squadrons (based on the initial purchase agreement itself)

vishnugupt

Country flag
I agree with you on the political headache!
The same headache that kept the forces bereft of modern equipment for decades.
Mk1A production will complete 3-4 years before Mk2 production can begin.

The falling count will need 6 new squadrons. If they manage 2 MiG-29s and 2 Su-30MKIs then they still beed to go for 2-3 Rafale squadrons (based on the initial purchase agreement itself)
I agree, there will be a gap between Mk1a and MK2 but meanwhile, we can also order more Mk1a ( at least few).
Unfortunately, Aircraft buying itself a very painfully lengthy process filled with uncertainties ( Bhusan will go SC). 36 Rafale is taking almost 5 years then Imagine 110 jets deal. I believe 3-4 years gap tolerable

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Guys! Let's not conjure up things based on wrong data!

Gripen E (which uses the F414 variants that's slightly inferior to that used by ) India claims it has a dry thrust of more than 64KN
64 kn dry is good for only 16 ton MTOW so it needs 70 kn dry thrust. We must build tejas mk2 bellow 7 tons to have the real advantage of payload 5.5 tons .If engine power is 70 kn dry, it is a different metter.

Enquirer

64 kn dry is good for only 16 ton MTOW so it needs 70 kn dry thrust. We must build tejas mk2 bellow 7 tons to have the real advantage of payload 5.5 tons .If engI ine power is 70 kn dry, it is a different metter.
I don't know the exact dry thrust for F414-INS6 (the variant going on Mk2).
If ADA is saying that it's a 17.5 ton MTOW aircraft & will use F414 engine, then I am not sure why everyone is scratching the back of envelopes to come up with new engine requirements.
I think ADA folks would know if the thrust available is sufficient or not.....if not ADA has bigger problems :)

vayuu1

Country flag
You know what, so far no airforce has thought about a 5th gen light aircraft why not go with a flca it can be a force multiplier don't you think guys beside it will complement the amca and fgfa better.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Enquirer

Here's an interesting contrast (or similarity?)

Tejas Mk2 Project Director's take on Mk2
Status..........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight.....2023

AMCA Project Director's take on AMCA
Status...........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight......2024

What's happening here??? And why???

No wonder both are confident that only F414 will be used as its engine (Kaveri will not be used)

lcafanboy

Country flag
FOC in 3 years is too ambitious!
Why? Everything required for foc will be certified on lca mk1a only flight tests and flight characteristics needs to be certified. So quite possible.. also there will be no td direct prototypes and SP..

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
FOC in 3 years is too ambitious!
Maybe... But it means i was right;
Unlike LCA, most of the tech wouldn't have already been achieved with Mark1A by 2021-22? The 1st 4 prototypes can take off with all the features required of FOC variant!

MWF does have pretty drastic redesignings of the airframe & may be tested for just the new flight performances only.
They are planning on have the 4th platform (2025) at FOC version.
Only issue would be if things don't go as expected & problems come up... otherwise if all goes per plan, then production by 2026-27. Not 2029-30.

Enquirer

We should start production after ioc 2...just like mk1............
Why? Everything required for foc will be certified on lca mk1a only flight tests and flight characteristics needs to be certified. So quite possible.. also there will be no td direct prototypes and SP..
Maybe... But it means i was right;

They are planning on have the 4th platform (2025) at FOC version.
Only issue would be if things don't go as expected & problems come up... otherwise if all goes per plan, then production by 2026-27. Not 2029-30.
Just look at LCH - outer shell changed, but everything else is the same as ALH - how long did it take to get to just IOC??

Advaidhya Tiwari

Just look at LCH - outer shell changed, but everything else is the same as ALH - how long did it take to get to just IOC??
How much experience did HAL have in making helicopters? Also, the LCH helicopter was able to fly in 3 years. It was other factors like lack of softwares for combat role, lack of sensors, lack of missiles & integration and moat important, sabotage by UPA government which is responsible for delay. UPA even shelved IMRH program in 2008.

In case of MWF, AMCA etc, India now has supportive government, sensors, softwares, weapons Integration and other infrastructure and tested well on Tejas MK1. Only thing needed is airframe testing. So, it will be different from making something from scratch and will be much faster

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Cant the refueling probe be internal and the canopy without obstruction and extended like the Tejas MK 2 Navy and the Mig 29 K?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
MWF seem to be a very good plane having great capabilities. 6.5 Ton Payload, 11 weapon stands, IRTS system, Missile approach warning system, Advance avionics, new flyby wire system and all goodies of Mk1 with lots of maintenance friendly features. This plane shall take up many roles of MMRCS and MKIs which means a great saving in operation cost.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles