ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Expect further delays as now the rollout is predicted to be in 2023 from previously stated 2022 end & before that it was touted to be in aug2022. kudos to HAL!
The source of this news is IDRW, that too one of their hot-takes(which they have a habit of pulling out from their arse), so take it with a pinch of salt

karn

Country flag
The source of this news is IDRW, that too one of their hot-takes(which they have a habit of pulling out from their arse), so take it with a pinch of salt
There was an interview a while back saying rollout will be in 2023 .. they said they still hope to have first flight in 2023. We havn't seen anything WRT the mk2. The AMCA has more visible progress.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
MK2 has started missing deadlines, the ada/hal management things they'll fool people like they did with mk1 project. We have yet to see any concrete progress apart from ppts shown during conferences.
Mk. 2 is not an priority to ADA. AMCA is on priority.
It also looks like IAF is more interested in MRFA than Mk. 2.

kamaal

Country flag
MK2 is priority for ada/hal as it is more feasible than AMCA. But the program has run into delays and according to the timeline we should have at least seen a picture of under construction prototype.
No doubt IAF is betting on mrfa deal.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
MK2 is priority for ada/hal as it is more feasible than AMCA. But the program has run into delays and according to the timeline we should have at least seen a picture of under construction prototype.
No doubt IAF is betting on mrfa deal.
Customer requirement decide priority of project and not feasibility for developing body.
IAF has made AMCA its number 1 priority and it has made is abundantly clear.
More resources are being allocated to AMCA than Mk. 2.

IAF is very much in MRCA deal. Mk.2 is not an replacement for MRCA as per IAF.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Customer requirement decide priority of project and not feasibility for developing body.

Unfortunately in this case the customer is I-AF Imported Airforce. Who rather go squadron less than order more Tejas MK1, rather their pilots crash in MiG21 than order more Tejas MK1, rather NOT order Tejas MK2 but wait for mythical MMRCA which may take another 15yrs to come if we go by the way Rafale saga played out, rather pretend to wait for AMCA, knowing that it will take more time, so that in the interim they can buy a handful of shiny imported toys, and then finally cancel AMCA saying its taking too much time and go back to MMRCA-3 or whatever and continue the randi rona.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Unfortunately in this case the customer is I-AF Imported Airforce. Who rather go squadron less than order more Tejas MK1, rather their pilots crash in MiG21 than order more Tejas MK1, rather NOT order Tejas MK2 but wait for mythical MMRCA which may take another 15yrs to come if we go by the way Rafale saga played out, rather pretend to wait for AMCA, knowing that it will take more time, so that in the interim they can buy a handful of shiny imported toys, and then finally cancel AMCA saying its taking too much time and go back to MMRCA-3 or whatever and continue the randi rona.
EUSFKsxUUAA6mf5.jpeg

MirageBlue

Country flag
IAF leadership is quiet on the Tejas Mk2, but the onus is on ADA and HAL to put it in the air and prove it. Then if the current GoI's leadership vision remains the same, they will force the import obsessed IAF leadership to order the Tejas Mk2 MWF in numbers.

Priority wise, the Tejas Mk2 has as much priority within ADA and HAL as the AMCA. It is only the IAF which acts like there is no other fighter program apart from the AMCA that Indian designers are working on.

Especially disappointed with the current IAF ACM. In my opinion, we have retrogressed by going for someone like him versus the previous ACM who had done a lot for promoting Indian designs, be it Tejas or HTT-40. All this new ACM wants to talk about is MRFA and AMCA. Downright disappointing.

MirageBlue

Country flag

Because they're being hypocrites. The same IAF that is ok with having a Gripen E/F as an MRFA contender (and even has sections of it rooting for the Gripen E/F) is absolutely quiet when an Indian Tejas Mk2 MWF that has almost the same weight/payload/range/engine/avionics as the Gripen E/F is being developed.

So Gripen E/F can be MRFA but Tejas Mk2 MWF cannot? That's pure and utter BS.

vikata

Country flag
Because they're being hypocrites. The same IAF that is ok with having a Gripen E/F as an MRFA contender (and even has sections of it rooting for the Gripen E/F) is absolutely quiet when an Indian Tejas Mk2 MWF that has almost the same weight/payload/range/engine/avionics as the Gripen E/F is being developed.

So Gripen E/F can be MRFA but Tejas Mk2 MWF cannot? That's pure and utter BS.

Why no news update on mk2 ? If this is the attitude of force,ADA should invite journalist Nd give update about the progress of the programme. Every 2nd day we hear some news ,no matter how trivial about amca....

If this attitude is not arrested ,they will behave the same way when the delivery time of amca will come,its only they are using the cover of amca to kill mk2.....

I can't assume that no journalist has wisdom to ask about mk2 in press conference ,where he goes gaga about operational readiness, its seems like questions are sanitized in advance ,and ppl not confronting him in public is real problem

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
Which radar is Tejas MK-2 planned to have? UTTAM or Israeli Elta series of Radar?

On a minor note : I cannot wait for MK-2 to make its 1st flight, I want to see Tejas MK-2 fly in formation with Netra MK-2/3, AMCA, Ghatak UAV, TEDBF. Ofcourse that day is probably 7-8 years from now. I would love to see a sight like this:-

IMG_20220429_192821.jpg

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Which radar is Tejas MK-2 planned to have? UTTAM or Israeli Elta series of Radar?

On a minor note : I cannot wait for MK-2 to make its 1st flight, I want to see Tejas MK-2 fly in formation with Netra MK-2/3, AMCA, Ghatak UAV, TEDBF. Ofcourse that day is probably 7-8 years from now. I would love to see a sight like this:-

View attachment 153474
Radar will be from Uttam family, refer to the DDR interview by Sriram.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
Radar will be from Uttam family, refer to the DDR interview by Sriram
Could you suggest some YouTube channels in which ADA/HAL etc officials give information/Updates about Aeronautical projects like AMCA, Tejas MK-2, TEDBF etc?

Because till date I have never ever watched an interview as such.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles