ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

MirageBlue

Country flag
Sorry, messed up edit. My last post should read

Good news. According to IDRW HAL says MWF should roll out early 2025!
I saw the article. It is typical IDRW, to not give the source of the info in the first place. They didn't go do any original research to find this. It was posted on X by some person based on minutes of meetings from an investor's call with HAL.

They took their info from some investor's call and what was stated there was the HAL has already started the fabrication of the first Tejas Mk2 prototype.

The article states that the first prototype may be rolled out in later half of 2025, earlier than what some reports stated was going to be in early 2026. You've confused yourself with that. They basically meant that it is earlier than 2026, now to be in later 2025 (which is what the ADA director had stated months ago)..

HAL accelerates Tejas Mk2 development prototype on track for early roll-out in 2025

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good news. According to IDRW HAL says MWF should roll out late 2025!
enough of such articles by IDRW,
they write such clickbait articles to gain clicks.
wake me up when they actually release prototype

Spitfire9

Country flag
This dates from Dec 2023:

'The Tejas MkII program's overall timeline was impacted by the unexpected delay in the initial funding disbursement. This, and because HAL and DRDO are committed to higher indigenization, a new schedule is required. The first flight, which was supposed to happen in December 2024, is probably going to happen in 2028. The start of production is only anticipated for early 2030, which is a considerable delay over the original estimates.'

First aircraft rollout of Tejas MkII postponed due to delays in funding and focus on self-reliance - Defence.in

These reports never seem to identify a source.

A few days ago Indian media claimed it would roll out 2025.

Has HAL released a statement of the current schedule? A first flight delay of years due to late release of funds to HAL and increased indigenisation does not seem very likely to me.

What is left to do before it enters production (assuming the engine supply is arranged) -

Build prototype 1
Ground test it
Fly it
Conduct flying tests (along with further prototypes built)
Get IAF acceptance
Place an order with an Indian company to assemble it
Set up production
Start producing
Start delivering to IAF

I am curious. How long to get from an order to first delivery? I presume that no company will incur the cost of setting up for assembly until it has an order.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
This dates from Dec 2023:

'The Tejas MkII program's overall timeline was impacted by the unexpected delay in the initial funding disbursement. This, and because HAL and DRDO are committed to higher indigenization, a new schedule is required. The first flight, which was supposed to happen in December 2024, is probably going to happen in 2028. The start of production is only anticipated for early 2030, which is a considerable delay over the original estimates.'

First aircraft rollout of Tejas MkII postponed due to delays in funding and focus on self-reliance - Defence.in

These reports never seem to identify a source.

A few days ago Indian media claimed it would roll out 2025.

Has HAL released a statement of the current schedule? A first flight delay of years due to late release of funds to HAL and increased indigenisation does not seem very likely to me.

What is left to do before it enters production (assuming the engine supply is arranged) -

Build prototype 1
Ground test it
Fly it
Conduct flying tests (along with further prototypes built)
Get IAF acceptance
Place an order with an Indian company to assemble it
Set up production
Start producing
Start delivering to IAF

I am curious. How long to get from an order to first delivery? I presume that no company will incur the cost of setting up for assembly until it has an order.
How do you know funding is delayed? Do you know that funding is done on a phased basis whereby the phases have to be completed before next phase can be started? Unless all the design & technology is developed to satisfaction, the prototyping can't be done

Spitfire9

Country flag
How do you know funding is delayed? Do you know that funding is done on a phased basis whereby the phases have to be completed before next phase can be started? Unless all the design & technology is developed to satisfaction, the prototyping can't be done
No, I don't know how funding is done. It was widely reported that there was a delay in funding.

Tejas Mk 2 languishes amid lack of funds (janes.com)

Samej Jangir

Country flag
No, I don't know how funding is done. It was widely reported that there was a delay in funding.

Tejas Mk 2 languishes amid lack of funds (janes.com)
The problem with these news is that they don't specify whether all conditions have been met for funds to be released which is a misreporting. The documents are submitted much before the actual completion so that the ministry can review it and give the approval once the actual work is done. So, before talking about funds, the main question is about the completion of all the specified objectives which if not reported, the news must be rejected

Spitfire9

Country flag
The problem with these news is that they don't specify whether all conditions have been met for funds to be released which is a misreporting. The documents are submitted much before the actual completion so that the ministry can review it and give the approval once the actual work is done. So, before talking about funds, the main question is about the completion of all the specified objectives which if not reported, the news must be rejected
I defer to your better knowledge about the nuts and bolts of funding (I don't know a thing about it) but what seems unusual is for GOI to say to HAL that unless they negotiate 100% TOT in an engine contract - nothing to do with developing Tejas Mk2 - the funds for developing Tejas Mk2 will be withheld. That is what I understand to have happened. Please correct me if there was no such clause in CCS' approval of the Tejas Mk2 development going ahead. I have not read the actual document involved with CCS clearance to go ahead.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
I defer to your better knowledge about the nuts and bolts of funding (I don't know a thing about it) but what seems unusual is for GOI to say to HAL that unless they negotiate 100% TOT in an engine contract - nothing to do with developing Tejas Mk2 - the funds for developing Tejas Mk2 will be withheld. That is what I understand to have happened. Please correct me if there was no such clause in CCS' approval of the Tejas Mk2 development going ahead. I have not read the actual document involved with CCS clearance to go ahead.
It is more likely that the design has not been finalised or there has been last minute changes which haven't been tested. It is not about getting TOT of engine as engine is a separate programme from the plane development. It is about design of the plane itself which is lacking

NutCracker

Country flag
US is a police state? How do you get that?

US is a Christian fanatic state? Why - because the majority of the population is Christian? Are all states fanatical if the majority of the population is not Hindu? What about if the majority of the population is Hindu?
Do their presidents not take oath on Bible ?? Even a democRAT libcukc doesn't skip that ceremony.
You should stick to defence and ignore geopolitics related comments , otherwise end up derailing thread due to your anglosphere ignorance.

cannonfodder

Country flag
It's a fair cop! Misinterpreted 'Early rollout in 2025' as meaning rollout in early 2025.
What ever over optimistic date you see today add 1-1.5 years to that.

Previously I would say 2-3 years but now I am assuming that all design, supply chains and local industry has matured enough to make it quicker.

If you have very high expectation then you will be disappointed and keep repeating that why its not flying etc on forums. If you have low expectations you will be elated. I have been here from while and what ever articles tell take with bucket of salt. Previous prediction were churning out 32 Aircrafts every year should have started happenning 3-4 years ago but we are where we are (and it takes time).

Spitfire9

Country flag
Do their presidents not take oath on Bible ?? Even a democRAT libcukc doesn't skip that ceremony.
You should stick to defence and ignore geopolitics related comments , otherwise end up derailing thread due to your anglosphere ignorance.
Silly insults. Somebody made a statement. I asked for an explanation. Who is doing the derailing?

If I make some silly statement and someone asks me to substantiate, they are not derailing the thread.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles