ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Could you suggest some YouTube channels in which ADA/HAL etc officials give information/Updates about Aeronautical projects like AMCA, Tejas MK-2, TEDBF etc?

Because till date I have never ever watched an interview as such.
Stick to DDR and Tarmak Talking by Dr. Ananthakrishnan Mulridharan.

Best interview for info on MK2.

MirageBlue

Country flag
Which radar is Tejas MK-2 planned to have? UTTAM or Israeli Elta series of Radar?

On a minor note : I cannot wait for MK-2 to make its 1st flight, I want to see Tejas MK-2 fly in formation with Netra MK-2/3, AMCA, Ghatak UAV, TEDBF. Ofcourse that day is probably 7-8 years from now. I would love to see a sight like this:-

View attachment 153474
Uttam Mk2, most likely with GaN T/R modules which is in an advanced stage.

However, as of now an initial Uttam AESA with a larger array but smaller back-end has been in fabrication at Astra Microwave for the Tejas Mk2. So that, despite having a smaller nose (to accommodate the IRST LRU), than the Tejas Mk1A, the Tejas Mk2 will have an AESA radar with larger number of T/R modules. Basically already we are seeing a more efficient Uttam AESA design in the works.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Tejas MK-2 is just an LCA Tejas MK-1/MK-1A airframe which has been slightly scaled up with the inclusion of Canards and some improvements have been done in other parts (i.e Intake has been improved).

Canards improve flight control characteristics, Contribute to lift and make the aircraft more Manouverable. Basically our MWF Program will result in a "Desi Gripen".

UTTAM MK-2? What happened to UTTAM MK-1? Have we straight away jumped to MK-2?

Source:-

Blank

Country flag
Tejas MK-2 is just an LCA Tejas MK-1/MK-1A airframe which has been slightly scaled up with the inclusion of Canards.

Canards improve flight control characteristics, Contribute to lift and make the aircraft more Manouverable. Basically our MWF Program will result in a "Desi Gripen".

UTTAM MK-2? What happened to UTTAM MK-1? Have we straight away jumped to MK-2?

Source:-
Uttam MK1 was for MK1A. Upgraded Uttam was for MK2

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Uttam MK1 was for MK1A. Upgraded Uttam was for MK2
Uttam Mk. 1 is under flight trails. We are validating all aspects for the radar.
So I guess we can all put it this way :-
  • 1.UTTAM MK-1 :- Will be used in Tejas MK-1/MK-1A (Maybe after MK-1 is Upgraded to MK-1A Standard than the currently used Israeli radar will be replaced by UTTAM MK-1)
  • 2.UTTAM MK-2 , UTTAM ER and all variants coming after MK-2 : will be used in Tejas MK-2, AMCA MK-1 & MK-2, TEDBF.
By the way on a minor note, will all our Tejas MK-1 be Upgraded to MK-1A Standards over Time?

SimplyIndian

Country flag
Because they're being hypocrites. The same IAF that is ok with having a Gripen E/F as an MRFA contender (and even has sections of it rooting for the Gripen E/F) is absolutely quiet when an Indian Tejas Mk2 MWF that has almost the same weight/payload/range/engine/avionics as the Gripen E/F is being developed.

So Gripen E/F can be MRFA but Tejas Mk2 MWF cannot? That's pure and utter BS.
Real vs paper.

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
But that is the truth
But, Tejas mk2 will be way cheaper and could be upgraded and updated without relyin on a foreign vendor!
thus as the platform matures it could outperform gripen plus it will create a much needed ecosystem for defence aviation!
money saved could be invested in other defence projects and R&D of new technologies!

SimplyIndian

Country flag
So are you not in support of IAF selecting Tejas MK-2 MWF over JAS-39 Gripen?
IAF should buy 100 plus Rafale f4 with indian assembly line in next 7 to 8 yrs. This is the time we need to mature MK 2 and test actual AMCA.

We need at least 100 mk2 like aircraft soon, Rafale is the only way. I am hopeful that GOI will get them plus engine deal as well to be 100% independent. That will be the day IAF only ask ADA, HAL not foreign maal.

flanker99

Country flag
IAF should buy 100 plus Rafale f4 with indian assembly line in next 7 to 8 yrs. This is the time we need to mature MK 2 and test actual AMCA.

We need at least 100 mk2 like aircraft soon, Rafale is the only way. I am hopeful that GOI will get them plus engine deal as well to be 100% independent. That will be the day IAF only ask ADA, HAL not foreign maal.
Paisa do vai

flanker99

Country flag
Paisa bahot hai GOI ke pass. After Ukraine war MoD is hyper active. We will see results soon, and many many great news for other forces. If we can manage this decade, 2031 india will be power tonrecon with, militarily.
100+ rafales will be greater than 25bln minimum..with the amount of upgrades,procurements IAF already needs to do i do not see funds for that many jets.
Buy 36-54 more and focus on indigenous options

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
But, Tejas mk2 will be way cheaper and could be upgraded and updated without relyin on a foreign vendor!
thus as the platform matures it could outperform gripen plus it will create a much needed ecosystem for defence aviation!
money saved could be invested in other defence projects and R&D of new technologies!
I have no argument with that but Real vs Paper is IAF's thinking.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles