ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Spitfire9

Country flag
Can a smart person throw some light on single crystal turbine blade. The DRDO has been reported to achieve this feet for a helicopter engine.
I'm not a smart person but this abstract explains some ways in which single crystal turbine blades offer massive improvements over conventionally cast blades:

THE USE OF SINGLE‐CRYSTAL BLADES in gas‐turbine engines have considerable advantages over conventionally cast blades since they do not possess grain boundaries which in conventional castings are weak points along which premature damage can occur. Because grain boundary voids and vacancies are almost entirely eliminated, single‐crystal blades exhibit more uniform property characteristics, higher thermal fatigue resistance (even at temperatures close to the melting point) and hence superior reliability. At extremely high temperatures they can operate for about four times as long as conventionally cast blades whilst at intermediate temperatures (800° to 900°C) they can operate for eight to ten times as long.

Congratulations to DRDO if they have managed to develop an effective process for production of single crystal blades.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Auxillary air intakes are clearly visible in the above photos designed for higher airflow to reach higher topspeeds with higher thrust engines.
So tejas mk-1 won't be stuck at mach 1.6 with lower powered engine and smaller air intake designed for the 1.5 mach top speed of 1983 ASR forever.
They will enhance power delivery by 3%.

SavageKing456

Country flag
Can a smart person throw some light on single crystal turbine blade. The DRDO has been reported to achieve this feet for a helicopter engine.

Is this development transferable to our other jet engine - Kaveri which is on hard time developing any further.

Gosh!.... no matter how much you try with GE or Sarfran or Brits, non will be willing part with that technology, not at any price. Chinese have unsuccessfully tried to steal it but failed. What is the next option. To me it looks that single crystal turbine blade development is step in the right direction.

Am I right or wrong? ....... I need your expertise to educate us on this forum without giving away any trade secrets.
In simple words you have to design blade in accordance with materials which can withstand high temperature conditions
We always had problems in hot core section of turbofan engine i guess single crystal blade solves the problem

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Is this development transferable to our other jet engine - Kaveri which is on hard time developing any further.

Gosh!.... no matter how much you try with GE or Sarfran or Brits, non will be willing part with that technology, not at any price. Chinese have unsuccessfully tried to steal it but failed. What is the next option. To me it looks that single crystal turbine blade development is step in the right direction.

Am I right or wrong? ....... I need your expertise to educate us on this forum without giving away any trade secrets.
Please search for turbine inlet temperature needed for fighter plane tejas class.

Then compare it with the turbine inlet temperature sustained in this SCB blade of helicopter which is between 1400°c to 1500°c, you yourself will find the answer.

Answer is right now no, but very close and the thing is not far away for jet engine it is or maybe 1600°cto 1700°c and the most important thing is COOLING of high pressure turbine in a complex environment,you do it properly you get high life engine.

So, it will take one or two year.

The main thing is, it is death announcement for buddha biden and his lunatics dreams.

MirageBlue

Country flag
Well I'm new to this forum, have been a lurker for a while..

But I would say that the Tejas Mk2 MWF with the close coupled canards is one of the best looking fighters there is..somehow the 3rd and 4th gen fighters were the best looking, as they weren't restrained by stealth requirements that lead to not so aesthetically pleasing designs.

As for the "ledge" on which the canards are mounted, they're fairings that are needed to house the sizeable actuators that control the canard movements and provide a straight surface on which to mount the canards. Pretty elegant design I would say.

In fact I've used @Kuntal Biswas' superb rendering of the Tejas Mk2 MWF head on as my profile pic..fell in love with the Tejas a teenager and now with it's Mk2 variant in my 30s. :D

Last edited:

SARTHAK

Country flag
can't tejas mk2 have a white livery like brazil's gripen it would look awesome

SimplyIndian

Country flag
AMCA is an intermediate between F-22 & F-35, functionally & doctrinally... It's not baby anything. Mark2 to take over from Su-30's role.
But AMCA is medium category fighter.

Is GOI planning to start desi R&D on heavyweight fighters and bombers? If we start today, can produce by 2035 onwards.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
AMCA is an intermediate between F-22 & F-35, functionally & doctrinally... It's not baby anything. Mark2 to take over from Su-30's role.
Will Mk2 have Sidebays?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Will Mk2 have Sidebays?
@Bleh have been saying this for long , they have ditched it for mk 1 , mk2 will have them , also maun bays might see more missile add later stage addition of more main bay missile in mk 1 .

Mk 1 will be more of a f 35 category but better than it , might have supercruise at mach 1.2 but unlike f 22 mach 1.7-1.8 , that requires higher thrust ,even if we assume supercruise weight at 20 ton that's at full internal fuel and full internal bay (empty weight 12 ton ) .

Generally a meaningful supercruise is considered at speed above mach 1.5 atleast , that's where f 35 lag , even if empty weight of mk 2 amca goes to 13 ton we still have advantage of tvc and about dry thrust of 150 kn atleast .

@Bleh @fire starter what are your thoughts on possible dry thrust of indigenous.engine

Global Defence

New threads

Articles