ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

guru-dutt

so bhai log in short kitne LCA banne waale hain , kitne ka order pakka hai aur kya keemat hogee and last but not the least what will be the final specs of LCA with regards to its radar, EW, ECM & avionicks and weapons pakage?

guru-dutt

India's Tejas Aircraft Integrated With Russian, US missiles

India’s indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), the Tejas will be integrated with the US- and Russian-origin missiles and is expected to fly this month during the Indian Air Force show.

The jet is currently undergoing final operational clearance and will soon be inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF).

The IAF has confirmed that the Tejas jet will be flying at the IAF exercise, ‘Iron Fist-2016’, in Rajasthan on March 18, Tribune India reported.

The Tejas will fire the beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile, the R-73 of Russian origin, and the precision laser-guided bomb Griffin missile, produced by US company Raytheon.

Air Marshal B.S. Dhanoa, Vice-Chief of the IAF, was quoted as saying today that the LCA shall do both tasks in a single flight.

The exercise will display the ‘capability to punish’, said the IAF Vice-Chief.

LCA also features new quartz radome radar from Cobham, UK. The radar was flight-tested in the last week of February and is expected to increase the radar range to 80 km and beyond.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence has decided to locally produce 106 upgraded Light Combat Aircraft Tejas jets to replace the ageing fleet of MiG fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force. The “Tejas Mark 1-A” will have 43
improvements over the existing Tejas currently being test-flown by the IAF for various parameters and slated for final operation clearance in March.

The existing project is running years behind schedule. The Ministry of Defence has set a 2018 deadline for the first aircraft to be ready with a target to complete its production by 2022-2023.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/15...grated_With_Russian__US_missiles#.VuHtp_krK70
can you sir tell me what will be the aviaonicks and weapons on LCA by Israel , USA and russia respective;lly thanks in advance

Superdefender

Please correct me if I am wrong. I think the Derby fired from Tejas in BIAS on Feb, 2016 was latest i-Derby.

archie

Country flag
This holds good for mundane things, not for products of proprietary technologies.
You know, Bollywood is the largest producer of feature films in the world. It started with imported Eastman Kodak color raw-stock in the 50s and more than half-a-century later today still dependent upon foreign raw-stock & chemicals. Here I am not even going into digital technology where every piece of hardware and software come from foreign sources. Similar examples abound. 10% of students in India wear glasses but still premium quality like photochromatic and Tory lenses are not made in India.
Bharat Forges dream of making defence hardware like howitzers but failed to design & develop a CRDi automotive engine for passenger cars. All Indian cars sport imported ones from Germany, Japan, South Korea etc. Talking of economies of scale, india is the second largest consumer of mobile phones, but which part of your smart-phone is made locally from scratch?
It hurts me as much as you.
Kodak is a failed company since they did not adopt to digital world .. today's movies mainly use sony technology and no one uses chemicals as before. Automotive engines are made from scratch in India though the design is not Indian since its a private company. Defence is no different with only exception is support during hostilities hence you need to know to manufacture spares in which LCA is fully Indian we know every system and own the IP to its implementation even if few components are from outside..

Gessler

Country flag
LCA is fully Indian we know every system and own the IP to its implementation even if few components are from outside..
Well, it most certainly is not any less susceptible to sanctions than any other fighter in Indian inventory. Infact it is more so.

Just imagine that if India were to conduct tests of a Hydrogen bomb, or any other action that could warrant international condemnation (eventhough said action serves our national interests), the US/EU will sanction us for sure.

> Su-30MKI, FGFA, MiGs will not be affected to any operational extent

> Rafale, Mirage may or may not be affected (depends on France's individual decision)

> But LCA will be heavily effected FOR SURE.

Why? Because the engine is American and without the engine, and supply of spares & support for the engine, the plane is done for. How long can you keep such an aircraft operational and combat-effective?

In short, the most 'domestic' aircraft on the block is actually the one that is most susceptible to being rendered inoperable in the event of international embargoes. It truly serves to go easy on the whole "indigenous" rhetoric. People also need to think of operational realities & not just pride reasons.

archie

Country flag
Well, it most certainly is not any less susceptible to sanctions than any other fighter in Indian inventory. Infact it is more so.

Just imagine that if India were to conduct tests of a Hydrogen bomb, or any other action that could warrant international condemnation (eventhough said action serves our national interests), the US/EU will sanction us for sure.

> Su-30MKI, FGFA, MiGs will not be affected to any operational extent

> Rafale, Mirage may or may not be affected (depends on France's individual decision)

> But LCA will be heavily effected FOR SURE.

Why? Because the engine is American and without the engine, and supply of spares & support for the engine, the plane is done for. How long can you keep such an aircraft operational and combat-effective?

In short, the most 'domestic' aircraft on the block is actually the one that is most susceptible to being rendered inoperable in the event of international embargoes. It truly serves to go easy on the whole "indigenous" rhetoric. People also need to think of operational realities & not just pride reasons.
True it so for all bombs, tank shells and many other components in Indian Armed forces for that matter .. at least such a sanction will hasten the development of kaveri engine .. IGMDP succeeded against all odds cause we did not have to rely on outside help and we could not ask for forcing fully indigenous development ..

lcafanboy

Country flag
Still No SP-2. At this rate the last LCA will be delivered in year 2135. Kill theses lazy bastards at HAL:shoot:

Superdefender

Can someone clarify which Derby Tejas fired in BIAS on Feb, 2016? I think it was the latest i-Derby.

guru-dutt

Can someone clarify which Derby Tejas fired in BIAS on Feb, 2016? I think it was the latest i-Derby.
hardly matters as the current trials are not in syncronization with EL2032 radar but just ballistic non guided tests to see the feasibillty the real ones will commence in april third week

Gessler

Country flag
The missile test happened in India under HAL/IAF supervision. It was the i-Derby-ER, but it wasn't guided. Just a BNG (Ballistic Non-Guided) trial, because the radar wasn't integrated with the missile yet.

Tejas didn't fire anything in Bahrain. It was just a flight demonstration. The two events are unrelated.

smestarz

Country flag
Except Airframe, everything in Tejas will be imported including ejection-seat and stealth paint. Components & sub-systems indigenization will take many years, if taken up at all. Many prevailing technologies related to radar, navigation, engine are set to become obsolete in a decade. If UCAVs can be made to operate at supersonic speed, and data-transfer between on-board sensors, cameras and ground/ship-based operator speeded up, piloted warplanes may be done away with.
UCAV is a good option but the technology is not mature enough, the biggest weakess of UCAV is the control, what controls the plane is ground control which controls it via Sat com. and these signals can be jammed or manipulated. Thus then your UCAV using your own IFF transponder might be used to attack you.. The pilot in the plane ensures that such thing does not happen (till the pilot actuslly thinks of defecting) For the UCAV what you say, its best to have something like a small robot with AI that is briefed as to what is expected. As you might remember , a year back iranians claimed that they took down an American UAV that was spying on them and this was top of the line UCAV.. would you be ready to bel all your money on tech that can be hacked?

smestarz

Country flag
@smestarz We have ToT for the engine as it will be built in India and as for other system talks are on for full ToT and increasing the no of critical local content.
Engine is our biggest weakness, Once we build our own engine, that means we have crossed the biggest hurdle, then the next might be to develop cutting edge Radar and avionics.. We can develop jammers and receivers, but we dont build AESA yet. Or maybe see the potential of phototronic radar and see if we can get the Tech or develop it in few years

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
but we dont build AESA yet.
It is embarrassing the way our Sarkari engineers struggled to copy Israli Greenpine (ground based AESA radar) even with their consent. Still vital parts of 'Swordfish' are imported although the software is suitably customised to suit our requirements.

garg_bharat

Country flag
It is embarrassing the way our Sarkari engineers struggled to copy Israli Greenpine (ground based AESA radar) even with their consent. Still vital parts of 'Swordfish' are imported although the software is suitably customised to suit our requirements.
My friend ecosystem. You need industry even to copy. Things do not get made out of thin air, or waving of hands.

India has made a fundamental mistake of segregating military and civilian industry. Military industry lacks scale to be effective in either technology or cost.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
My friend ecosystem. You need industry even to copy. Things do not get made out of thin air, or waving of hands.

India has made a fundamental mistake of segregating military and civilian industry. Military industry lacks scale to be effective in either technology or cost.
Also, Nehruvian fascination for large industries killed our component industry. Nehru tried to run a marathon without acquiring stamina & endurance for 800 mtrs.
Metallurgy and material science neglected. Precision engineering is not our forte. Design flaws plague DRDO products...
Many foreign technologies were mastered through hit & trial, without understanding the underlying principle, resulting in time & cost overrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles