ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

Don't get me wrong but doesn't it look like the DRDO is asking the DP partner to basically spoon-feed them AESA technology. I mean if "detailed design, development and realisation" is DP's responsibility then what is DRDO doing in this? People who know things about radars could you please tell what is left for DRDO to do apart from the requirements mentioned above (for which DP is responsible).
Integration, testing and maintenance. :D

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I have same feeling of member 'gb009'. If author is to be believed then DRDO is practically asking for complete AESA radar technology not a DP. But i have a feeling that it as an ad- hock arrangement to get AESA for LCA MK-2 from day-1and first hand insight into AESA technology before kick starting indigenous program for NGFA. If my guess is true then i would call it an intelligent decision.

p2prada

I have same feeling of member 'gb009'. If author is to be believed then DRDO is practically asking for complete AESA radar technology not a DP. But i have a feeling that it as an ad- hock arrangement to get AESA for LCA MK-2 from day-1and first hand insight into AESA technology before kick starting indigenous program for NGFA. If my guess is true then i would call it an intelligent decision.
What's intelligent about it? This is surely our only way. Without a DP, our AESA pursuit will never end.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
What's intelligent about it? This is surely our only way. Without a DP, our AESA pursuit will never end.
Accepting limits, shading proudness, accepting truth are intelligent acts. And here DRDO did all.

p2prada

Accepting limits, shading proudness, accepting truth are intelligent acts. And here DRDO did all.
ROFL! It's only philosophical. So, DRDO is slowly getting out of its teenage mentality and pursuing more spiritual goals. :D

Rahul Singh

Country flag
ROFL! It's only philosophical. So, DRDO is slowly getting out of its teenage mentality and pursuing more spiritual goals. :D
You can laugh while rolling and calling it philosophical, your choice! But DRDO is now better and getting even more with each passing day. Today they focus on delivering the project than developing everything all by self and this AESA issue is just an example. Turn you head 360* and you will find many, who are flying, sailing and rolling because of DRDO technology...................... Bad is that DRDO critics know nothing about DRDO and yet they do it, worst is that they do it by copy-pasting.

p2prada

You can laugh while rolling and calling it philosophical, your choice! But DRDO is now better and getting even more with each passing day. Today they focus on delivering the project than developing everything all by self and this AESA issue is just an example. Turn you head 360* and you will find many, who are flying, sailing and rolling because of DRDO technology...................... Bad is that DRDO critics know nothing about DRDO and yet they do it, worst is that they do it by copy-pasting.
Er. I meant the same. A stubborn kid finally grew up to be an adult. That's all.

marcos98

Today's LCA Tejas Flight Display At Bangalore

COURTESY: Livefist
i see ioc in the horizon.......:D:D

gb009

Is radar integration required for IOC? If yes then I am not sure LCA would get IOC that soon else IOC is right around the corner :).
Still no sign of LSP3 :(, I am just so anxious to see LCA with the MMR/2032/2052(oh yes) radar. I read somewhere that because of the absence of radar in LCA some of the weapons tests were done using external pods. If so will these weapons tests be repeated once the radar is installed?
BTW is there a date by which companies with AESA (possible DP) should respond to DRDO's request? Hopefully we will get someone who is ready for full TOT. I fear the DP would milk DRDO for money in the name of development and after a couple of years we will have an AESA with some components developed by DRDO but the critical ones still manufactured by the DP(for which no TOT would have been done).

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Is radar integration required for IOC? If yes then I am not sure LCA would get IOC that soon else IOC is right around the corner :).
Still no sign of LSP3 :(, I am just so anxious to see LCA with the MMR/2032/2052(oh yes) radar. I read somewhere that because of the absence of radar in LCA some of the weapons tests were done using external pods. If so will these weapons tests be repeated once the radar is installed?
BTW is there a date by which companies with AESA (possible DP) should respond to DRDO's request? Hopefully we will get someone who is ready for full TOT. I fear the DP would milk DRDO for money in the name of development and after a couple of years we will have an AESA with some components developed by DRDO but the critical ones still manufactured by the DP(for which no TOT would have been done).
I think LCA will have a Radar. India bought five EL/M-2052 radars from Israel in 2006 for the testing on LCA prototypes (According to SIPRI, see the attachment). So, very likely that LCA will have El/M-2052 radars in LCA-mk1 and the final DP/DRDO developed AESA radar in LCA- mk2.

Attachments

ppgj

it is not a must. in my view IOC primarily (in case of a newly designed aircraft, like Tejas) is more do with airframe, systems and subsystems validation. in other words to prove it's air worthiness.

hence you see -

1. the aircraft being subjected to fly in different climates (dry/cold/humid/sultry sea) to validate the airframe and sub systems.
2. it is flown at different altitudes/speeds to verify the behaviour vis-a-vis stress.
3. the FBW being validated.
4. the engines being validated for operation.
5. weapons release systems validation.
6. other sub systems like display validation.
7. software related functions getting validated.

etc...

at FOC stage the IAF will subject the aircraft to its full envelope covering all aspects including RADAR integration, checking its full potential and firing PGM's and other radar guided bombs.

Still no sign of LSP3 :(, I am just so anxious to see LCA with the MMR/2032/2052(oh yes) radar.
yes. hopefully should come soon.

I read somewhere that because of the absence of radar in LCA some of the weapons tests were done using external pods.
mainly dumb bombs were tested. i guess may be some laser gudied bombs too because LCA carried LITENING israeli pod. this does not require RADAR.

If so will these weapons tests be repeated once the radar is installed?
as i stated above, Radar guided bombs will be tested. no need to test dumb bombs/laser guided ones if they have been proved.

Hopefully we will get someone who is ready for full TOT
our best bet will russia (who were ready to transfer AESA RADAR tech with MIG 35 if it wins MRCA) and israel.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Cabinet outlays Rs 8,000 crore for development of LCA

NEWS : newsonair, All India Radio, Latest News, AIR, Akashwani, Repubic Day, Akashvani, Radio, Prasar Bharti, NSD, News Services Division, Business, RSS from India, India, Breaking News Online, Current Headlines India, Today Top Stories, Top Headline

Defence Minister A.K. Antony witnessed the demonstration flight of 5th prototype of light combat aircraft, LCA, trainer version in Bangalore on Tuesday.

Terming the flight demonstration as historic he appreciated the contribution of various organisations in making LCA a reality. He said, all weather capabilities of LCA are tested and proved.

He declared that LCA would receive initial operational clearance by December this year and final operational clearance by end of 2012. He informed that Air Force has placed an order for 20 LCAs and another order for 20 LCAs will be cleared by Cabinet shortly.

He further said, Cabinet Committee on Security has cleared an outlay of 8,000 crores rupees for development of Air Force and navy version of LCA and improvement of aircraft's engine.

Speaking about revamping of DRDO the Defence R&D centre, the Minister said, the process is on as a committee headed by Defence Secretary is going through the recommendation.

Mr. A. K. Antony said, India maintains friendly relationship with other countries but at the same time it concentrates on strengthening its military set up all over the country to meet any eventuality.

Before the LCA demonstration flight, the Minister inaugurated System Test and Integration Rig, STIR for development of airborne warning and control system.

The Minister asked DRDO to build long term capabilities and focus on quality rather than quantity. He hoped that inauguration of STIR will provide a boost to the aeronautical sector.

Scientific advisor to Defence Minister Dr. V.K. Saraswat and DRDO Secretary Dr. Banerjee were present on this occasion.

rakesh

India Declares Indigenous Combat Jet a Success

BANGALORE - India's defense minister announced Feb. 2 that a much-delayed project to build an indigenous supersonic combat aircraft was a success.

The jets are intended to become the country's frontline combat plane by 2020.

A.K. Antony told reporters the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) - billed by India as the world's smallest warjet - would be cleared for limited flights by the end of 2010.

Today I can declare that at last the LCA is going to be a reality," Antony said in the southern city of Bangalore where the locally built plane had been on the design board since 1983 when the multi-billion dollar project began.

The minister said the aircraft, powered by engines supplied by U.S.-based General Electrics, would be ready for full induction into the military by 2012.

All the doubting Thomases have proved to be wrong," Antony said, referring to skeptics who doubted that the combat jet would ever take off.

Antony said the Indian Air Force had already placed an initial order for 20 of the jets.

Although the first LCA prototype rolled out in 1995, the project hit an air pocket three years later when the United States and other Western governments slapped a slew of sanctions on India in retaliation for its 1998 nuclear tests.

The LCA won the nickname "last chance aircraft" because of the delays.

India's first attempt in the 1950s to make an indigenous fighter plane failed after it built a limited number of ground attack planes that fell far short of military specifications.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4481092&c=ASI&s=AIR

gb009

Since the DRDO has time till the end of 2010 it would be great if they can get the radar in as well before IOC.

Dark_Prince

Finally, Mr. Antony has done a great job by Pumping money into the further development of the project....Any Idea on how many A/Cs will be inducted or its still 200-300 LCAs?:rolleyes:

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
NEWS : newsonair, All India Radio, Latest News, AIR, Akashwani, Repubic Day, Akashvani, Radio, Prasar Bharti, NSD, News Services Division, Business, RSS from India, India, Breaking News Online, Current Headlines India, Today Top Stories, Top Headline

Antony promises to provide all impetus to develop LCA

Defence Minister A K Anthony cleared the uncertainty over the future of Light Combat Aircraft LCA, by announcing in Bangalore today that Government will provide all essential impetus for the progress of this project.

Addressing the press after witnessing air display by LCA fighter, the Defence Minister termed the flight display as historic and appreciated efforts of Aeronautical Development Agency and other stake holders for designing and developing LCA within the country.

He disclosed that LCA which has cleared all weather operations capability tests would be getting Final Operational Clearance by 2012. The Defence Minister later inaugurated ‘Digital Flight Control Computer’ manufacturing facility in BEL.

AIR Correspondent Sudhindra reports from Bangalore that today was an occasion to rejoice for our Countrymen, as number of indigenized weapon systems and fighter aircrafts were operationalised and successfully flight tested. The Defence Minister continuously stressed this point on the importance of indegenisation, during his programmes in DRDO and BEL today in Bangalore.

He proudly announced that Akash surface to air medium range missiles developed within the country has been whole heartedly welcomed by our Air Force and additional order has been placed for 750 of them apart from 250 acquired earlier. He also disclosed that Airforce has placed an order for 20 additional LCAs apart from an order of 20 placed earlier. He also welcomed Navy for replacing imported sonars and radars with the one manufactured by BEL.

The Minister however regretted that non availability of advanced technologies indigenously compels the country to import nearly 70 % of our defence procurements. He wished that Indian industry in the Public and Private sector will reduce our over dependence on external sources which are undependable during the time of crisis.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Tejas for IAF by yearend-Asian Age

Bengaluru, Feb. 2: The Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project is on the home stretch. India’s first indigenous supersonic, multi-role fighter is now a "reality", defence minister A.K. Antony declared on Tuesday, virtually putting a stamp of approval on the aircraft by saying that "it will certainly get the initial operational clearance (IOC) by the end of 2010."

Upon achieving IOC, the Indian Air Force, which has ordered 20 Tejas fighters and is expected to ask for 20 more soon, will establish a squadron of these at an airbase in Tamil Nadu. The final operational clearance is expected by end-2012, after which Tejas will spread its wings across the country.

"It’s a historic day," Mr Antony said soon after the LCA flew a demonstration flight. "Serious doubts were raised about Tejas. Three years ago, there were demands to abandon it. The Doubting Thomases have been proved wrong. Now I can proudly say we will fly our own fighters."

The IAF could be flying a squadron of Tejas Light Combat Aircraft by the end of the year.

In January, the Cabinet Committee on Security allocated Rs 8,000 crores for production of the Air Force version of the LCA and for the development of the naval version and the trainer, clearly indicating that there was now no doubt at the highest decision-making levels about the success of the project. Tejas, long criticised as being too late, too expensive, was first conceived some 27 years ago, began as a technology demonstrator project in 1993 and was subsequently cleared for development as a multi-role fighter in 2001.

himanshugoswami

this is indeed a welcome news and a proud day for all Indians- I would be a very proud man the day Tejas is inducted into the IAF, which now seems only a matter of time. Kudos to HAL! With the right engine, this baby has the capability to be a very formidable bird and a worthy replacement to the Mig 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles