ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganesh2691

DRDO chief reviews Tejas programme | QRT to beat IOC-2 deadline

Bangalore: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief Dr Avinash Chander conducted a day-long review of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas programme on Friday. To pull out the programme out of delays, the DRDO chief has now decided to form a quick reaction team (QRT) for achieving the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC-2) by September this year.

The missile man said that India's long-awaited dream of having a desi-built fighter jet officially don the Squadron colours, is now at a striking distance. "I have not come to Bangalore with a magic wand. I wanted to see that the design agency (Aeronautical Development Agency) and the production unit (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd) work closely to see that IOC-2 is achieved at the earliest. The QRT is being formed to handle all concerns without any more delays," Avinash told Express.
Confirming that the project has entered the IOC-2 mission mode, Avinash said that HAL and ADA is left with no option but to sit together and sort out all issues across the table. "I told both teams that they will have to be like battlefield soldiers. They will have to anticipate the problems and be alert all the time. I am a strong believer in transparent action and ADA will spearhead the QRT with efficient members drawn from all constituents of Tejas project," the Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, said.

He said the idea of QRT was to ensure that no Tejas aircraft from the current test line should be idle for want of attention, a term technically called as AOG (Aircraft on Ground). He said a Chief Controller at the DRDO HQ will monitor the progress of Tejas as it achieves IOC-2. "I have decided to make available all knowledgeable resources in DRDO so that the September deadline is met," he said.

Satisfied with the new production facilities being set up in HAL for Tejas, Avinash said the jig fixtures and documentation process are almost in place. "HAL is definitely making an effort to improve their processes. I saw a commitment from both ADA and HAL to step-up their work philosophies and approach in dealing with delays. It took 30 years for Akash Missile Systems to be inducted but today we have a work order worth Rs 30,000 crore. Technologies need to matured, and there's no short-cut to it," he said.

When asked about the widespread allegation and media reports that cracks have already appeared in ADA-HAL combine, the DRDO boss said: "So far, I have been making missiles to destroy aircraft. And, now I am focusing on technologies to make an aircraft fly the fighter way, even evading the missiles. Let me stay focused. Problems are there, but we need to overcome them."

http://tarmak007.blogspot.in/2013/06/drdo-chief-reviews-tejas-programme-qrt.html

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Broadsword

And where are the scientists who will do all this, I ask? Chander says that the DRDO's growing list of successes, for example the Agni-5 missile last year, is attracting the people it needs. "Last year, we inducted about a hundred students from premier institutions like the IITs. Attracting talent is a function of our image; and if we offer challenging assignments, that is appreciated by recruits. Over the last three years, our attrition rate has been less than 2 per cent," says Chander.

"The government has given me three years in the job. This is a crucial time for the DRDO, since a large number of major programmes are lined up for delivery. There is the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, which the Raksha Mantri has directed must (be completed) by next year. The Agni-4 and Agni-5 missiles have to be inducted into service, which is a major challenge since we have never before inducted two missiles simultaneously in such a short time. The Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR-SAM) has to be produced and the first naval warship equipped with it by 2014-15. And the Arjun Mark II tank is going through its final stage of trials."

I broach the growing belief that the DRDO is leaving no space for the private sector to build defence systems.

"But industry has little interest in low-volume production. It wants to do low-tech, high-volume, well-defined production But when I want a navigation system, or a gyroscope, no industry will give me that," he says.
That's why the needless negativity without understanding the reason will only help drive away bright young IITians from DRDO.

It is the only organization we have, It delivers products that will never be given to Indian armed forces however much we have a strategic relationship with anybody.

SO criticizing it like D O D O is simply not decent.

Also unless proper guaranties are given no private sector firm will invest a nickel in endless R& D disregarding share holder consent.

Only after the DRDO developed the critical tech , now more than 85 percent of the AGNI missile components are being produced by private sector firms.

SO there is no truth in saying that DRDO is crowding out the private sector in defence,

If private sector has to come in , then say in the APV carrier segment two competing rival like Mahindra and TATA should be given R& D funding with the guaranty that the best product among them will be inducted like it is being done in US.

More important is the fact the freezed specs should not be substantially during development to threaten the viability of the project.

Last edited:
The only problem with the government agencies is that people are up one their feet to blame others for their failures, be it Avinash Chander or V. K. Saraswat the problem remains the same, they are up on their feet to blame sanctions and policies and even the armed forces for something they could not deliver, now when there are Bisons and Bahadurs crashing out of the skies and Antony giving an ultimatum they come up with QRTs and what not...I am sure the next problem that will crop up is that with HAL not being able to come out with an integrated production line.....that will take two or more years....This is frustrating...

Bhadra

Country flag
HAL for delay in induction of LCA Tejas

As another upgraded MiG-21 Bison fighter jet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in Rajasthan's Barmer on Friday morning, resentment is simmering against the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as also the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for delayed introduction of Tejas - the multi-role light fighter developed by India to replace ageing MiG-21 fighters.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
QRT to achieve IOC-2 in four months for Tejas

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief Avinash Chander conducted a day-long review of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas programme on Friday. To pull out the programme from delays, the DRDO chief has now decided to form a quick reaction team (QRT) for achieving the Initial Operational Clearance (IOC-2) by September this year.

The missile man said that the country's long-awaited dream to have a desi-built fighter jet officially don the Squadron colours is now at a striking distance.

"I have not come to Bangalore with a magic wand. I wanted to see that the design agency (Aeronautical Development Agency) and the production unit (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd) work closely to see that IOC-2 is achieved at the earliest. The QRT is being formed to handle all concerns without any more delays," Chander told Express.

Confirming that the project has entered the IOC-2 mission mode, Chander said that HAL and ADA are left with no option but to sit together and sort out all issues across the table.

"I told both teams that they will have to be like battlefield soldiers. They will have to anticipate the problems and be alert all the time. I am a strong believer in transparent action and ADA will spearhead the QRT with efficient members drawn from all constituents of Tejas project," the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister said.

He said the idea of QRT was to ensure that no Tejas aircraft from the current test line should be idle for want of attention, a term technically called as AOG (Aircraft on Ground). He said a Chief Controller at the DRDO HQ would monitor the progress of Tejas as it achieves IOC-2. "I have decided to make available all knowledgeable resources in DRDO so that the September deadline is met," he said.

Satisfied with the new production facilities being set up in HAL for Tejas, Avinash said the jig fixtures and documentation process are almost in place.

"HAL is definitely making an effort to improve their processes. I saw a commitment from both ADA and HAL to step up their work philosophies and approach in dealing with delays. It took 30 years for Akash Missile Systems to be inducted but today we have a work order worth Rs 30,000 crore. Technologies need to matured, and there's no short-cut to it," he said.

When asked about the widespread allegation and media reports that cracks have already appeared in ADA-HAL combine, the DRDO boss said: "So far, I have been making missiles to destroy aircraft. And, now I am focusing on technologies to make an aircraft fly the fighter way, even evading the missiles. Let me stay focused. Problems are there, but we need to overcome them."

Ganesh2691

LCA Flight test update

LCA-Tejas has completed 2197 Test Flights Successfully. (12-June-2013).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-365,LSP1-74,LSP2-273,PV5-36,LSP3-136,LSP4-81,LSP5-178,LSP7-43,NP1-4,LSP8-5)

from
LCA-Tejas has completed 2185 Test Flights Successfully. (05-June-2013).

(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-365,LSP1-74,LSP2-273,PV5-36,LSP3-134,LSP4-80,LSP5-174,LSP7-39,NP1-4,LSP8-4)

Crusader53

I would add another option to the list. As I think the LCA especially the Naval Variant. Would be best used as an Advance Trainer with a secondary role of light strike fighter. This is similar what the RAF did with the Hawk Trainers back in the early 80's. Which, were used mainly in the training role but, had underwing pylons to carry AAM's for use as a point defense fighter. So, my point is the LCA could be used as Advance Trainers for lead in to Rafales and FGFA's. Yet, in times of war could support them as a Strike Fighter or Point Defense Fighter.

p2prada

I would add another option to the list. As I think the LCA especially the Naval Variant. Would be best used as an Advance Trainer with a secondary role of light strike fighter. This is similar what the RAF did with the Hawk Trainers back in the early 80's. Which, were used mainly in the training role but, had underwing pylons to carry AAM's for use as a point defense fighter. So, my point is the LCA could be used as Advance Trainers for lead in to Rafales and FGFA's. Yet, in times of war could support them as a Strike Fighter or Point Defense Fighter.
The 40 LCA Mk1s will most probably be used as a lead in trainer in the future.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Livefist

However hard the above report tries to blow the balloon big , the straight facts staring in the face of LCA 30 year old moaners are,
other than the following,

1. some regular maintanence issues like rain water seeping through(some re design of seals , nothing else)
2. deficiency in performance of RADOME(point to be noted is the report never compares it to the radomes presently donning the IAF's dinosurs),
3. Issues with lightning protector rod(nothing related to the fighter's basic design )

have all been sorted out , including topspeeds at low level, STR and weapon firing,

the 1250 technical parameters can be met only in the duration between IOC-2 and FOC, so nothing special about that,

with more airframes available , it can be done faster.

It is a blow in the face of people calling that mk-1 is a trainer and mk-2 is obsolete.

The design is a success as it has met all flight performance specs to IAF's satisfaction.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Dont mix apple with oranges..

Tejas a full fledged supersonic light fighter with a subsonic turbo jet trainer ..

=================

Tejas conduct same ops as MIG-29k, Given single engine and low fuel consumption, they are more stealthy due to there material nature and size perfect for deep perpetration ASW Strike fighter ..

As I think the LCA especially the Naval Variant. Would be best used as an Advance Trainer with a secondary role of light strike fighter. This is similar what the RAF did with the Hawk Trainers back in the early 80's.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
There are trainers at training center ( Apple ) and there are operational squadron trainers ( Oranges )..

One of the most successful Advance Trainers in history is the T-38/F-5B/F-5F Family...............So, respectfully I am not mixing Apples and Oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles