AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

brational

Country flag
Here's an interesting contrast (or similarity?)

Tejas Mk2 Project Director's take on Mk2
Status..........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight.....2023

AMCA Project Director's take on AMCA
Status...........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight......2024

What's happening here??? And why???

No wonder both are confident that only F414 will be used as its engine (Kaveri will not be used)
None of these are getting inducted before 2030 if at all they pass the design phase. In HAL/NAL/ADA/DRDO terms, the Advanced Stage of Preliminary Design means "Thinking about What to do", How and When part will be decided after 5 years if they find out What part in 5 years.

IIRC, What Part for AMCA has already crossed 10 years.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Here's an interesting contrast (or similarity?)

Tejas Mk2 Project Director's take on Mk2
Status..........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight.....2023

AMCA Project Director's take on AMCA
Status...........Advanced stage of preliminary design
First flight......2024

What's happening here??? And why???

No wonder both are confident that only F414 will be used as its engine (Kaveri will not be used)
No one really think that a first flight of such an advance design than AMCA may occur so early.
We are not speaking of USA or Russia, but India. Sorry to say that, but everything lasts a long time in India...

jik60

Country flag

......................................................................................................................................................
This kind of Twitter generals throw up “Gyans” like all of them are just retired from LM Boeing or Sukhoi bureo. They think India was ahead of US/Russia in aerospace technology two decades before. How can they spend their retirements with such negativity.

Actually all of them now fear that the fighter jet import business is going to be shut down in upcoming decades.

Jackd

This kind of Twitter generals throw up “Gyans” like all of them are just retired from LM Boeing or Sukhoi bureo. They think India was ahead of US/Russia in aerospace technology two decades before. How can they spend their retirements with such negativity.

Actually all of them now fear that the fighter jet import business is going to be shut down in upcoming decades.
Well, I'd trust their word as they have experience as well as knowledge rather than armchair experts who haven't been even within 10 metres of a fighter jet.

Kay

Country flag
Well, I'd trust their word as they have experience as well as knowledge rather than armchair experts who haven't been even within 10 metres of a fighter jet.
The general above was a Jaguar figther pilot turned US based software engineer. His criticism is not without merit, but tone is condescending. This condescending attitude is why IAF failed in nurturing a home grown fighter aviation ecosystem after Marut.

Enquirer

......................................................................................................................................................
When did the press ever harp about Diverterless intakes for AMCA?
The only talk/test was for Serpentine intakes!
I think this dude is thoroughly confused. DSI is not that critical!
I am guessing it might compromise frontal stealth a little bit (when DSI is absent)? But then F22 doesn't have it either.

Kay

Country flag
I am guessing it might compromise frontal stealth a little bit (when DSI is absent)? But then F22 doesn't have it either.
Indeed AMCA has splitter planes similar to F22 - which means RAM coating becomes more important.
There are other options as well like gauzing panels of YF-23.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/the-war-zone/20881/the-yf-23s-air-inlet-design-was-its-most-exotic-feature-you-never-heard-of?source=dam

It seems it is more important to get the prototype and plane built fast than incorporating design changes.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

It was simulated ---------------------------

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ho kya raha hai yahan?

Effects of airflow... At that tail-fin position, the air is pressing to deform it that way. The simulation assumes the plane's structure is not is not rigid.

Gessler

Country flag
Effects of airflow... At that tail-fin position, the air is pressing to deform it that way. The simulation assumes the plane's structure is not is not rigid.
What's up with the left main wing? I haven't heard of any wings getting squished out of form cuz of the wind.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@brational @proud_indian @jik60 @Jackd @Kay @Enquirer @Shaitan @abingdonboy @Advaidhya Tiwari @Shakti Malik @Narasimh @cyclops @sunnyv @brational @happylion @porky_kicker @sorcerer

Anyone here knows how to edit Wikipedia page? The AMCA hadn't been updated in years!!!
None of the latest developments or photographs...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_AMCA
I can update written information with links but images are subjected to copyright. I can only put external image there if the real source of image and not the one uploaded on DFI is provided.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles