Indian Naval Aviation

Khagesh

Actually I have been trying to find out what the hell that was. But now that you hint at it seems like a Hawk 132. Seems like there are 2 of those there, in those pics.

IN folds up the wings of their Mig29K even outside of an Aircraft Carriers. I had not expected that, but makes sense.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Mig-29Ks now at Vizag.

Been there since April end of May begining. Terribly noisy when goes over my house for landing. Take offs are better as the sound is louder but over in a bit.

And, those are indeed hawks.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Talks between the Navy and Boeing for four additional P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft are at an advanced stage with the Cost Negotiating Committee (CNC) having recently completed the negotiations. The Navy already has eight aircraft on order. Ministry sources told The Hindu that cost negotiations have been completed recently and the file would soon be sent to the Defence Ministry's finance wing. From the finance wing, the file will go to the Finance Ministry before being put up for final approval before the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by the Prime Minister.In 2009, India signed a contract for eight P-8Is in a deal worth $ 2.2 billion from Boeing under a direct commercial deal with an optional clause for four more. The Navy which is quite satisfied with the aircraft has decided to exercise the optional clause and negotiations have been going on for about a year. Seven aircraft have already been inducted and are based in Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu. The last aircraft is expected to be delivered by October. The P-8I is a next generation surveillance aircraft based on Boeing 737 commercial airliner and India is its first international customer. It is meant to replace the legacy of Russian aircraft currently in service. India had also purchased 26 Harpoon anti-ship missiles from the US to equip the P-8Is.

Panel finishes talks to buy 4 more P-8I aircraft

avknight1408

Country flag
Talks between the Navy and Boeing for four additional P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft are at an advanced stage with the Cost Negotiating Committee (CNC) having recently completed the negotiations. The Navy already has eight aircraft on order. Ministry sources told The Hindu that cost negotiations have been completed recently and the file would soon be sent to the Defence Ministry's finance wing. From the finance wing, the file will go to the Finance Ministry before being put up for final approval before the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by the Prime Minister.In 2009, India signed a contract for eight P-8Is in a deal worth $ 2.2 billion from Boeing under a direct commercial deal with an optional clause for four more. The Navy which is quite satisfied with the aircraft has decided to exercise the optional clause and negotiations have been going on for about a year. Seven aircraft have already been inducted and are based in Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu. The last aircraft is expected to be delivered by October. The P-8I is a next generation surveillance aircraft based on Boeing 737 commercial airliner and India is its first international customer. It is meant to replace the legacy of Russian aircraft currently in service. India had also purchased 26 Harpoon anti-ship missiles from the US to equip the P-8Is.

Panel finishes talks to buy 4 more P-8I aircraft
Massive construction work going on at INS Rajali arakonam. Visible from chennai-bengaluru rail line. Any idea where the new P8I will be based?

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
The Indian Defense Acquisition Council has approved additional Boeing P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft for INR 4832 crore (US $762 million) for the Indian Navy today. The DAC headed by defense minister Manohar Parrikar has approved the negotiations. The Indian Navy had plans to buy additional four Boeing P-8I Maritime Surveillance and anti- submarine warfare Aircraft. “The Cost Negotiating Committee (CNC) has recently completed the negotiations. The talks between the Navy and Boeing are at an advanced stage to add four more P-8I aircraft to an existing order of eight,” Defense ministry officials told Indian media last week. “The CNC file would soon be sent to the Defense Ministry’s finance wing and then to the Finance Ministry for approval before the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by the Prime Minister,” the officials said.

Indian Defense Acquisition Council Approves 4 Additional P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft

jaci_zenfone2

MIG-29K fall short of many things, Compare to MK1 >>

1. Stealth design and Radar absorbing coating > MIG-29K is all metal Aircraft, It has no stealth properties unlike Tejas has very high level of composite airframe, And gets special anti-radar coating and Y design intake ..
2. ECMS > MIG-29K does not has any internal EW suit, Where Tejas comes Integrated internal suite, with both RWR & jamming capability.
3. Engine > modern more reliable powerplant with FADEC for Tejas, MIG-29K does not.
4. Radar > AESA for MK2, MIG-29K does not.
5. Adaptability to Western and Indian Weapon and Avionics, MIG-29K does not ..
6. DASH HMDS with 90 degree off-bore sight, Where as MIG`s has only 45 degree offbore sight ..

MK2 is essentially MK1 modified, MK2 will have more fuel and a more powerful engine ..
Quote from Wikipedia:-According to Mikoyan, extensive use of radar-absorbent materials reduce the MiG-29K's radar signature 4–5 times over the basic MiG-29.[27] The RD-33MK turbofan engine was also engineered to reduce infrared signature and improve aircraft camouflage.
And they have SPO-15 Beryoza RWR.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaci_zenfone2

MIG-29K fall short of many things, Compare to MK1 >>

1. Stealth design and Radar absorbing coating > MIG-29K is all metal Aircraft, It has no stealth properties unlike Tejas has very high level of composite airframe, And gets special anti-radar coating and Y design intake ..
2. ECMS > MIG-29K does not has any internal EW suit, Where Tejas comes Integrated internal suite, with both RWR & jamming capability.
3. Engine > modern more reliable powerplant with FADEC for Tejas, MIG-29K does not.
4. Radar > AESA for MK2, MIG-29K does not.
5. Adaptability to Western and Indian Weapon and Avionics, MIG-29K does not ..
6. DASH HMDS with 90 degree off-bore sight, Where as MIG`s has only 45 degree offbore sight ..

MK2 is essentially MK1 modified, MK2 will have more fuel and a more powerful engine ..
Radar Problems of tejas.no bvr missiles test fired yet.no in-flight refueling probe,EW weakness,Single engine,And at last but not least they have orders from IAF to deliver the planes.These all are the shortfalls of Tejas.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Tejas mk2 is nowhere near future.so stop comparing a operational aircraft with a in development aircraft.

You are right at what you are saying .... What we or Kunal meant would be given the specs and technology incorporated Tejas MK2 will surpass Mig-29K

Quote from Wikipedia:-According to Mikoyan, extensive use of radar-absorbent materials reduce the MiG-29K's radar signature 4–5 times over the basic MiG-29.[27] The RD-33MK turbofan engine was also engineered to reduce infrared signature and improve aircraft camouflage.
And they have SPO-15 Beryoza RWR.

Compare the use of composite in Mig 29 k to Tejas Mk1 (There will be increase in Mk2) and it will answer you what was meant in the statement.

Radar Problems of tejas.no bvr missiles test fired yet.no in-flight refueling probe,EW weakness,Single engine,And at last but not least they have orders from IAF to deliver the planes.These all are the shortfalls of Tejas.

Agreed but shortcomings of Mig-29 are also there . There are shortcomings in all a/c.

jaci_zenfone2

You are right at what you are saying .... What we or Kunal meant would be given the specs and technology incorporated Tejas MK2 will surpass Mig-29K

Compare the use of composite in Mig 29 k to Tejas Mk1 (There will be increase in Mk2) and it will answer you what was meant in the statement.

Agreed but shortcomings of Mig-29 are also there . There are shortcomings in all a/c.
He at first writes tejas mk1 vs mig 29k and then when he compares them he says mk2 has aesa radar mig29k does not.I just cant get it.

pmaitra

He says mk1 has aesa radar.where did he get this information from?

I am reading in various fora that IAF Sukhoi-30MKIs have PESA radar, although there are sources that say they have AESA radar, or AESA radar is in the pipeline. In any event. AESA radar, whether we have or not, are better. I also read that AESA radar components can be placed not only in the nose cone, but also the leading edges of the wings.

Perhaps someone can confirm.

Yumdoot

Su30MKIs have a N011M which is a half way to AESA radar. Not a true AESA, neither a true PESA. The receivers modules have an amplifier each. For the true AESA both the transmitting side and the receiving side will have amplifying circuitry. N011M has a TWT pushing in power during the transmitting. Irbis-E puts in 2 TWT in series to increase the power, even further. Basic thought looks like - let us raise a hell lot of racket when transmitting - no holds barred - but when we listen lets keep things quite please.

Net result is that the system noise that increases the overall SNR reduces such that N011M is only a little worse off than a true AESA, in detection performance. The SNR difference used to be mentioned like 6dB while moving from a PESA to an AESA. But for N011M the diadvantage is mentioned to be 3dB. Since dB scale is a log scale base 10 so that difference is said to be significant. Which is also borne out by the claimed performances.

A true AESA additionally has a big advantage in terms of durability/reliability also which is not there with BARS N011M. If however the BARS-N011M is told where to look, by a Mainstay, then the usage can be managed better and the tracks by the BARS-N011M can be handed further to say Rafales/Tejas and after that the Su30MKI can go after the really important things leaving the more manageable tasks to Rafales and Tejas.

If at this stage the Rafales and Tejas or for that matter the Mig29s also can sport AESAs then the trap becomes perfectly laid - no leakages. But only Rafales and Tejas have the AESA installed or planned. Mig 29K does not.

Fortunately for us the Mig29K are not for volume air defence. Mostly they too would be guided by radars on Naval assets and hence Mig29K would work for point defending the INS-CBG or for deeper strike missions. For both these the radar that Indian Navy has chosen is more than sufficient. For example the radar on the Mig29K when on strike missions will see the enemy destroyer from around 300 km away.

The case for IAF is not as clean cut. IAF Mig29 could have benefited a lot with AESAs but on the flip side the Mig29UPG airframe may not have that much life left in them neither is the situation around town so drastic just yet - so I guess IAF too can manage with what it has.

But in all cases the Uttam AESA must be ported to all Tejas Mk-1 or Mk-2 or anything in between. Will help a lot.

jaci_zenfone2

I am reading in various fora that IAF Sukhoi-30MKIs have PESA radar, although there are sources that say they have AESA radar, or AESA radar is in the pipeline. In any event. AESA radar, whether we have or not, are better. I also read that AESA radar components can be placed not only in the nose cone, but also the leading edges of the wings.

Perhaps someone can confirm.
I think they were talking about super sukhois.Which are to be upgraded to zhuk-ae radar.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Russia Completes Modernization of Indian Navy's Il-38 Fleet

ZHUKOVSKY (Sputnik) – Russia has completed the upgrade of all of India's Ilyushin Il-38 anti- submarine aircraft to SD standard, Nikolay Talikov, Ilyushin general designer and deputy general director, said Wednesday. "We have completed this work, all five of the Indian Navy's aircraft have been modernized to SD standard," Talikov said at the MAKS-2015 International Aviation and Space Salon. The Ilyushin Il-38N, referred to as the Il-38SD in India, is an improved version of the Il-38 aircraft (NATO reporting name May), equipped with a modern Sea Dragon anti-submarine navigation system, including high-resolution radar, display and thermal imaging subsystems. According to Talikov, Russia and India are currently in discussions for modernizing the Ilyushin Il-76 (Candid) multi-purpose strategic airlifters and the Ilyushin Il-78 (Midas) aerial-refueling tanker fleet. The two countries are considering a sale of the new Ilyushin Il-76MD-90A transport aircraft, he added. MAKS-2015 opened on Tuesday in the Russian city of Zhukovsky. More than over 400,000 visitors are expected during the course of the six-day event. About 760 companies from 35 countries are expected to participate in the air and space show.
Russia Completes Modernization of Indian Navy's Il-38 Fleet

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles