Turkish defense industry news updates

Samej Jangir

Country flag
This is from SCL main page:

View attachment 253867
SCL | Semi-Conductor Laboratory

and this is from Financial Express(April 22, 2024):
India's first semiconductor fabrication unit chips in - Industry News | The Financial Express

View attachment 253868

Do you have any sources to support your hypothesis other than hunches and guesses?
PSMC does not make lithographic machines. It may install the machines as per standard design layouts but the lithography itself is not made by PSMC. So, it is about making the machine rather than installing it. Many things about the Indian semiconductors are not revealed to public at all. No one know how India developed 180nm technology and the various stages of development done.

All I can say is that if any semiconductor technology is obtained by India, it can never be from foreign sources. The only way India can achieve it is by developing it by itself. There can be no source on this other than the basic facts:
1. India made 180nm foundry in 2013 & it has been 11 years since then which means technology would obviously have developed
2. No one was willing to share technology, even if it is over a decade old with India. Nothing has suddenly changed. PSMC also uses USA's lithography machines & there is no luck factor in it

Samej Jangir

Country flag
This gentleman is biggest lier, anyways we all know how low u can fall justfor pr,image
Can you tell me which part is the lie? How do you know that India does not have 28nm? What is in your opinion the technology capability of India today considering 11 years back itself India had 180nm? Did India make no progress at all?

How is India building 28nm fab if there is no technology within? Did USA share technology all of a sudden when it is refusing to share technology of any other defence equipment, refused to share technology for 180nm in 2009-10? Are you saying USA has suddenly started sharing technology of its crown jewel?

You can check that DRDO units ANURAG, GAETEC, SITAR etc had already designed & developed 90-130nm chips in 2013 after which entire information was cut down by Modi govt's secrecy policy to prevent attacks & sabotages: https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/bharats-semiconductor-research-efforts.83228/

MysticBuzz

Country flag
A GE JV machining components in Turkey doesn't mean you are advanced in anything, Mehmet.

They do the same in India.
View attachment 253865
Is that really it? Casings and seals? I thought you had something.
HTFE-25 will take flight in HALE UAV. There's simply no platform for it right now.
So they made an engine to serve as a coffee table with no platform to support? You must be richer than I thought before.
Do you have any Turbofan even under flight testing? Meanwhile Kaveri achieved 90% of it's thrust requirements & have been flight tested. It's now under limited series production & has been choosen for our flying wing UCAV.
We do not have a turbofan doing test flights. What we have is a turboshaft doing endurance tests in the air for EASA certification. Turbofan(TF6000) flight tests will have to wait Q4,2025 or 2026 to conclude bench testing phase.

I know all about Ghatak and its unsatisfied lovesickness for Kaveri. Quote me when it flies on one of your vehicles, will you?

Because you don't have a large Space/ Nuclear Program in the first place. Avionics can be manufactured with COTS microprocessors.
Then why do we need silicon chip foundries for KAAN, exactly?

A nation that test-fired a 26 kN Turbofan in 2024 can definitely make a 150 kN Turbofan by 2028. Meanwhile the Chinese, who are decades ahead of you took 3 decades to replace AL-31FP in J-16.

Anything else?
Talking about future products and getting embroiled in "I can, you can't" conversations does not get my motor running. I still remember how KAAN was regarded a few years ago and anyone thinking it was more than a paper project was labeled delusional. This thread itself is a graveyard for false predictions and hopes. What I'm doing is giving you the heads-up so that you don't get befuddled like you used to when you see TF35K on the bench in not so distant future.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
So they made an engine to serve as a coffee table with no platform to support? You must be richer than I thought before.
HTFE25 is for Hawk advanced trainer aircraft as UK refused to share technology. So, India is developing HTFE25 engine for Indigenised Hawk-i trainer plane. The trainer can also act as a CAS plane with 2-3 ton load

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Puhaaa,

Where is operational 1500 HP engine of India!!
Do not say again that Türkiye does not have 1500 HP engine when your country even does not integrate your engine on your tank for tests!!
We have both 1500 engine and respective gear box for it which are integrated on our own tank!
They are being tested for more than 1 year by BMC power. Later power pack and tank will be tested by the Turkish land forces.
You are not in better position than us in tank engines or any armoured vehicle engines!!
Here it is mehmet, now cry.

gslv markIII

Country flag
We do not have a turbofan doing test flights. .
Read the underlined part three times before commenting on anything related to Indian Turbofan Development. Capiche?

26 kN Turbofan test fired in 2024 is where your Turbofan R&D stands right now. We'll see how it goes. 35K lbf Turbofans can wait.

I don't remember saying that you need it. I am just reminding you about where you stand right now.

So they made an engine to serve as a coffee table with no platform to support?
What on earth is "platform support"?

It is designed for future ventures, including HALE UAVs & AJTs. Exactly the case with your TF6000, there's no use case for it right now.

Quote me when it flies on one of your vehicles, will you?
Quote us when you can develop an IC Engine without Ukrainian consultancy or ToT.

Nothing different from what you do with GE Engine Programs, and GE is your JV partner. And I guess Mehmet didn't see this.

Screenshot_2024_0519_181257.png

60-70% of R&D in India? I wonder why they didn't chose Turkey- the wonder nation that can go from Zero to 150 kN Turbofans in just 4 years.

Talking about future products and getting embroiled in "I can, you can't" conversations does not get my motor running. I still remember how KAAN was regarded a few years ago and anyone thinking it was more than a paper project was labeled delusional. This thread itself is a graveyard for false predictions and hopes. What I'm doing is giving you the heads-up so that you don't get befuddled like you used to when you see TF35K on the bench in not so distant future.
Making a structural test airframe by strapping on Engines is not a great achievement, Mehmet. Your "airframe" didn't even have retractable landing gear. Not to forget the handholding you received from BAE.

Projecting unrealistic timelines is a Turkish trait. I mean look at this, 100 kg to 400 km LEO in 2027 to 3.5 tonnes to GTO by 2028.

F9Rl8azXQAALKfL.jpeg

EAP tech demonstrator flew in 1986. The EFT was inducted in 2003. There's a reason why the timeline looks like that. I do understand that a nation that never had any domestic R&D would find it difficult but that's how any R&D project works.

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Do t show ur inbreedness. Got buthurt with knowing this fact and now just trolling..

Do u know a aircraft exists called hawker trainer which needs engine for atleast 3-4 time per aircraft over life time. So for that it is made. Not just that it was also thought that afterburner version could have been put of another aircraft. But this plan was eventually cancelled.

We do not have a turbofan doing test flights. What we have is a turboshaft doing endurance tests in the air for EASA certification. Turbofan(TF6000) flight tests will have to wait Q4,2025 or 2026 to conclude bench testing phase.
Then how do u have the audacity to even troll india engine.. u DoNt eVEn haVE eNgInE. Wale up we are way ahead of you.
You with some basic tech have somehow managed to fire a jet engine. Hardly of 25kn and think will make in 4 years that too a turbofan for 5th gen. Then why wouldn't we make fun of u... even china took decades to reach where it is. Despite being a world factory. And u with kebab economy hardly has even 10% of tech what china had think will make a turbo fan engine.. lol 😆 😆 this is biggest jokes..

I know all about Ghatak and its unsatisfied lovesickness for Kaveri. Quote me when it flies on one of your vehicles, will you?
cope harder, we have dry engine certified and ready under lsp. 1 unit delivered producing needed 50kn thrust.. it will be below 15ton mtow ucav. As all flying wings ha e t/w of 0.3 So this will have too.
There is nothing unsatisfactory here. If some one is unsatisfied that you.

Yes yes u will have a turbofan engine ready in 4 years
Keep dreaming keep coping. U didn't had a basic jet engine sucha audacity. To even claim we will have when the 2nd largest economy took decades to master already reversed engineered engines..
Flying a technology demonstrator is not a big things.. it's just show off even..
Quote me when it will fly with convert greek made engines..

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Yes we have a better engine.

We can use it in our HALE and CATS programme, and that will actually work. But first get own afterburning turbofan engine enough to fly the supa powa Baykar to the skies.

When did it do test flight?

We actually will, eventually. Can't say the same for Baykars.
Because humanity is yet to witness the advanced turkic tech of flying an aircraft without semiconductors.
Because your projects indeed are delusional as rightly pointed out. Indian projects have faced delays due to insufficient indigenous capabilities and flying with imported components would've been very easy for brownie points. On the other hand whatever gets built over there is full of foreign items with zilch to show in terms of capabilities.

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Read the underlined part three times before commenting on anything related to Indian Turbofan Development. Capiche?

26 kN Turbofan test fired in 2024 is where your Turbofan R&D stands right now. We'll see how it goes. 35K lbf Turbofans can wait.

I don't remember saying that you need it. I am just reminding you about where you stand right now.

What on earth is "platform support"?

It is designed for future ventures, including HALE UAVs & AJTs. Exactly the case with your TF6000, there's no use case for it right now.

Which is same as what you do with GE Engine Programs. I guess Mehmet didn't see this.

View attachment 253876

60-70% of R&D in India? I wonder why they didn't chose Turkey- the wonder nation that can go from Zero to 150 kN Turbofans in just 4 years.

Making a structural test airframe by strapping on Engines is not a great achievement, Mehmet. Your "airframe" didn't even have retractable landing gear. Not to forget the handholding you received from BAE.

Projecting unrealistic timelines is a Turkish trait. I mean look at this, 100 kg to 400 km LEO in 2027 to 3.5 tonnes to GTO by 2028.

View attachment 253879

EAP tech demonstrator flew in 1986. The EFT was inducted in 2003. There's a reason why the timeline looks like that. I do understand that a nation that never had any domestic R&D would find it difficult but that's how any R&D project works.
You forgot their 60,000 tonne super aircraft carrier (which looks awkwardly similar to Vikrant) :lol:
1716128094273.png

tfxkaanf23

Country flag

MysticBuzz

Country flag
I can't believe I'm spending my Sunday on a bunch of teenagers. Do you think we take "Mehmet" or "Greek converts" as slurs and offended by it? Have you just left the playground to write your first sentences on the internet?

One by one

HTFE-25 will take flight in HALE UAV. There's simply no platform for it right now.
This news is from today.
HAL Accelerates Development of Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine (HTFE-25) – Indian Defence Research Wing (idrw.org)

I quote some sections:

hal1.png

hal2.png

So much for the supposedly superior turbofan ecosystem.

KIZILELMA and ANKA-3 is waiting for TF6000. So the engine is built with a purpose, with hard-constrained dimensions.

I don't deny India's involvement with a larger engine. I just reject the premise of it being near production when its smaller sister(HTFE-25) is projected to be inducted in 2030s. And I find it hard to believe how any serious engine developer would send its engine all the way to Russia test and to analyze the results, do adjustments and then send it off again. With that wide feed-back loop it's no surprising that it takes so long to get the engine in shape. Venturing out to develop a turbofan without establishing the proper testing setup will, of course, result in failure.

Quote us when you can develop an IC Engine without Ukrainian consultancy or ToT.
What IC engine are you talking about?

Nothing different from what you do with GE Engine Programs, and GE is your JV partner. And I guess Mehmet didn't see this.

View attachment 253876
yes. the decarbonization effort. how one miss that? GE has over 2500 employees in Istanbul doing process designs for GE engines but you don't see me bitching about it do you?
We produced and fired our first turbine engine in 2017. So a first flight of TF35K in 2028 or 2029 would make 11,12 years and we didn't start from scratch as we are already a big part of the western turbofan supply chain. TEI has over $5 billions worth of engine parts in its order book. If that is your yardstick for "from scratch" then you need to do a lot of climbing to reach the ground zero.
To fly an airframe you need more than just the bones and the engines. The computers, the software, the landing gears, the actuators, fuel systems, hydraulics, the generators, the apu etc.. The mission systems will follow on the second prototype that is in assembly now.

BAE was contracted as a technical assistance in the preliminary phase and has no involvement with the project anymore.

View attachment 253879

You read the graph wrong. 3.5 ton to GTO is 2028+. Which has no implications as it does not put forward a specific year. It could be 2035 or 2045. Not enough information to speculate.

PSMC does not make lithographic machines. It may install the machines as per standard design layouts but the lithography itself is not made by PSMC. So, it is about making the machine rather than installing it. Many things about the Indian semiconductors are not revealed to public at all. No one know how India developed 180nm technology and the various stages of development done.

All I can say is that if any semiconductor technology is obtained by India, it can never be from foreign sources. The only way India can achieve it is by developing it by itself. There can be no source on this other than the basic facts:
1. India made 180nm foundry in 2013 & it has been 11 years since then which means technology would obviously have developed
2. No one was willing to share technology, even if it is over a decade old with India. Nothing has suddenly changed. PSMC also uses USA's lithography machines & there is no luck factor in it
OK let me back up a bit then. Just answer this. Is there any institution in India, public or private, who claims to have produced 28nm nodes? This must surely be an easy task to find since it's a big deal.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
OK let me back up a bit then. Just answer this. Is there any institution in India, public or private, who claims to have produced 28nm nodes? This must surely be an easy task to find since it's a big deal.
In India, only govt develops semiconductor or strategic technology. The BJP govt in power since 2014 is very particular about not revealing technology capability & has maintained secrecy on many things. Almost nothing of strategic tech news like nuclear submarine capability, nuclear weapons, ICBM, BMD, SAM, semiconductor, jet engine development comes out easily because it is a big deal. The govt sees no reason to reveal the capabilities as that has no gains but potential losses in terms of sabotage.

In short, there is no direct source available and will never be available of the technology India possesses. Any info must be gained only through circumstantial evidences

gslv markIII

Country flag
I quote some sections:

hal1.png

hal2.png

So much for the supposedly superior turbofan ecosystem
First of all, it's from IDRW, a source generally deemed untrustworthy.

That said, delays are unavoidable in any project. You'll deal with the same as you progress. Don't forget that even in the case of a 25 kN Turbofan, you're where we were 8 years ago.

So as things stand, we have a 85 kN Turbofan in flight testing, it's non AB version under limited series production & a 25 kN one at advanced stage of ground testing. Meanwhile Turkey had it's first 25 kN Turbofan test fired in March 2024.

I just reject the premise of it being near production
You can reject anything, makes no difference. It is under limited series production after completing high altitude flight testing with one already delivered as per report.

when its smaller sister(HTFE-25) is projected to be inducted in 2030s.
Two different projects, developed by two different agencies.
Not that Turk will understand.

And I find it hard to believe how any serious engine developer would send its engine all the way to Russia test and to analyze the results, do adjustments and then send it off again. With that wide feed-back loop it's no surprising that it takes so long to get the engine in shape. Venturing out to develop a turbofan without establishing the proper testing setup will, of course, result in failure.
The high altitude flight testing is already completed.

Let me remind that you don't have any flying testbed on your own. And your 35K lbf class Turbofan is supposed to fly in 2028. Good luck.

yes. the decarbonization effort. how one miss that?
Does Mehmet have issue reading English?

IMG_20240519_212937.png

60-70% of design team based in India. Not flexing about it, as we don't own the IP. Same is the case with your GE JV.

Oh, and also...

Outside the United States, JFWTC is GE’s first and largest integrated multidisciplinary research and development center.

GE has over 2500 employees in Istanbul doing process designs for GE engines but you don't see me bitching about it do you?
Exaggeration is a Turkic trait, it seems. It's 430 engineers

Screenshot_2024_0519_214508.png

Meanwhile in India, they are doing R&D in fields as fundamental as Combustion research.

We produced and fired our first turbine engine in 2017
Your first Turbofan engine was test fired in 2024. If you think you can make a flight worthy 35,000 lbf class Turbofan in just 4 years, all I can say is good luck.

TEI has over $5 billions worth of engine parts in its order book.
And still have a revenue of just 5 billion Turkish Lira or 160 million USD. Pretty sure that HAL's Engine division alone has higher revenue.

We are already a big part of the western turbofan supply chain. If that is your yardstick for "from scratch" then you need to do a lot of climbing to reach the ground zero.
We have been manufacturing the AL-31FP including SCBs for more than a decade & a half by now. But I am sure that we have a lot of climbing to do as a GE JV does some machining in Turkey.

Manufacturing components wouldn't give you the know-how for designing a Turbofan. It it did, you would already had the TF6000 flying already.

What IC engine are you talking about?
PD170. Surely 100% Turkish.

To fly an airframe you need more than just the bones and the engines. The computers, the software, the landing gears, the actuators, fuel systems, hydraulics, the generators, the apu etc.. The mission systems will follow on the second prototype that is in assembly now.
"The mission systems will follow on the second prototype"

Which is exactly what I said: A structural test prototype improvised & made airworthy. What did the first flight achieve? A proof of concept?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles