TEDBF or ORCA Updates

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
In an Interview With Vayu Aerospace Review, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral R Hari Kumar confirmed that Preliminary Design Review (PDR) work for the development of the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF) has begun at ADA with support from the Indian Navy.

The Project is being monitored by the Naval Project Office at Bengaluru, which was initially set up to coordinate the LCA (N) project.

Indian Navy Chief confirmed that the TEDBF is planned to undertake its first flight by the year 2026 and roll out the production variant by the year 2031.

Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF) is an Indian fighter jet that is currently under development. This is being designed for the requirements of the Indian Navy by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). TEDBF will mainly operate from the Indian Navy’s aircraft carriers.

Currently Navy operates Russian origin MiG-29K from its carriers. The plan is to replace them with indigenous TEDBF.

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
Exactly, ORCA I guess will be Basically be just an Airforce version of TEDBF, Generation wise I am assuming it will be between 4.5 and 5th Generation like TEDBF itself. It would be a very good option for Indian Airforce to go for it (Maybe?)

But to be fair, as of recent times, I am hearing Little to Absolutelely no updates with regards to ORCA, I Feel like Indian Airforce is not interested in it ,maybe it's effectively dead? I am not sure about this.

This entire Saga of ORCA is a bit confusing for me, TEDBF? Well that's a lot clear but ORCA not at all from my side.

@Lonewolf is there any update on ORCA? Or Is it that I am missing out on it?
The real problem with ORCA is it’s timeline which is roughly around the same time as AMCA(2030-32) thus IAF’s full attention will be on AMCA & rather than paying for airforce specific enhancements to make TEDBF into ORCA, they can just order more AMCA (mk1/mk1a) unit cost wouldn’t be that much different as both are twin engine just slighter more maintenance cost as AMCA would be a true stealth!
if only ORCA could have happened 2026-27 IAF would have grabbed it with both hands & no more MRFA drama would have been there…

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
2 of this is from kuntal's stable
Ik, that day I misread one of @Bhartiya Sainik ‘s posts and thought he was looking for a CGI artist. He was actually asking about the other guy. If you see the post he’s quoted you can see I’ve mentioned Kuntals name. But I have deleted that post, so you can only see it in the quotes.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
The real problem with ORCA is it’s timeline which is roughly around the same time as AMCA(2030-32) thus IAF’s full attention will be on AMCA & rather than paying for airforce specific enhancements to make TEDBF into ORCA, they can just order more AMCA (mk1/mk1a) unit cost wouldn’t be that much different as both are twin engine just slighter more maintenance cost as AMCA would be a true stealth!
if only ORCA could have happened 2026-27 IAF would have grabbed it with both hands & no more MRFA drama would have been there…
If AMCA and Rafale can operate together, so can AMCA and ORCA. Agreed, that the time lines clash, but if the IAF wants to catch up on numbers fast and modernise at the same time, they won't mind giving attention to multi-platform induction. It's the forces job to make a case for something they 'need', and the government's job to sanction funds. If the ability to fund is there, why not fulfill the need. As far as IAF specific changes go, the changes from Navy to Airforce apparantly are less complicated and expensive, compared to the other way round. It should be approx 50% more expensive to operate and maintain a 5th Gen as compared to 4-4.5 Gen That is a huge difference.
23618.png

Source: https://journalstar.com/the-mammoth...tml_1929454c-7492-58cb-91eb-e2f1946e5757.html

If the IAF needs (its apparent, it dosen't as of now) a twin engine 4.5 Gen (around 2030-31) , it has to show interest in ORCA, and now, otherwise they would end up delaying the TEDBF program, or they would end up importing.
Lastly, going forward, as an exporter of fighter platforms and the weapons package, it makes great sense for India to have a bouquet of platform viz. Tejas Mk1A-Tejas MK2-ORCA and TEDBF-AMCA Mk1/Mk2. Also, Tejas MAX concept implemented on these plus the array of UAVs n UCAVs under development, that's some mouth-watering export and diplomatic/strategic possibilities we can look at.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
Ik, that day I misread one of @Bhartiya Sainik ‘s posts and thought he was looking for a CGI artist. He was actually asking about the other guy. If you see the post he’s quoted you can see I’ve mentioned Kuntals name. But I have deleted that post, so you can only see it in the quotes.
Learning CG tool is like learning Photoshop, AUTOCAD, C/C++, etc. There are many tutorial YT videos showing quick makeup & rendering of tanks, subs, jets, etc in 3DSmax, Blender, Maya, etc. There are many websites showcasing 3D works like DeviantArt, Turbosquid, Pinterest, etc, many others.
What i meant was if these creators like Kuntal, Satwik, etc can refine their CG to show minute important details like sensors, vents, etc, either from their PoV, or from i/p by others, with a disclaimer that it will be notional/conceptual/unofficial, then their CG deisgns will look like a complete induction jet might look.

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
IAF wants to minimize the types in it's inventory...
-
As on date, IAF wants to limit total number of 4.5 Gen, Twin Engine Medium Weight Fighters (Rafale Class) to 8 squadrons only...
Currently, they have 2 squadrons of Rafale...
It makes more sense for IAF to go for 6 squadrons of Rafale from operational point of view, than to go for 2 squadrons of Rafale and 4 squadrons of ORCA...

So, IAF won't be joining ORCA program for now... They'll try their best to get more Rafales...
----
In 2045, Su30s will start retiring over a period of 20 years...
So, IAF should plan for its replacement in 2030 itself... ADE will also be free as Tejas Mk1, 1A and Mk2 would enter production by then... They should ideally start working on a new 6th Gen design...
-
IAF has 3 options for replacement if Su30s:-
1) Go for complete replacement with a new 6th Gen design
2) Go for mix of AMCA, ORCA and/or Tejas Mk2 (if they feel AMCA Mk2 will fulfill 6th Gen requirements)
3) Go for mix of new 6th Gen design and AMCA/ORCA/Tejas Mk2...

So, depending on IAF's plans for future force structure in 2030, they can join the ORCA program then...
For now, let them concentrate on Tejas Mk1A, Tejas Mk2 and AMCA...

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
-
As on date, IAF wants to limit total number of 4.5 Gen, Twin Engine Medium Weight Fighters (Rafale Class) to 8 squadrons only...
It makes more sense for IAF to go for 6 squadrons of Rafale from operational point of view, than to go for 2 squadrons of Rafale and 4 squadrons of ORCA...

So, IAF won't be joining ORCA program for now... They'll try their best to get more Rafales...
----
So, IAF should plan for its replacement in 2030 itself... ADE will also be free as Tejas Mk1, 1A and Mk2 would enter production by then... They should ideally start working on a new 6th Gen design...
-
2) Go for mix of AMCA, ORCA and/or Tejas Mk2 (if they feel AMCA Mk2 will fulfill 6th Gen requirements)

So, depending on IAF's plans for future force structure in 2030, they can join the ORCA program then...
That's a very weak argument tbh. Only plausible reason seems that IAF is betting very much on AMCA even more than Tejas mk2.
ORCA can't pe ruled out, who knows how IAF procurement folds out?

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
If AMCA and Rafale can operate together, so can AMCA and ORCA. Agreed, that the time lines clash, but if the IAF wants to catch up on numbers fast and modernise at the same time, they won't mind giving attention to multi-platform induction. It's the forces job to make a case for something they 'need', and the government's job to sanction funds. If the ability to fund is there, why not fulfill the need. As far as IAF specific changes go, the changes from Navy to Airforce apparantly are less complicated and expensive, compared to the other way round. It should be approx 50% more expensive to operate and maintain a 5th Gen as compared to 4-4.5 Gen That is a huge difference.
View attachment 129411
Source: https://journalstar.com/the-mammoth...tml_1929454c-7492-58cb-91eb-e2f1946e5757.html

If the IAF needs (its apparent, it dosen't as of now) a twin engine 4.5 Gen (around 2030-31) , it has to show interest in ORCA, and now, otherwise they would end up delaying the TEDBF program, or they would end up importing.
Lastly, going forward, as an exporter of fighter platforms and the weapons package, it makes great sense for India to have a bouquet of platform viz. Tejas Mk1A-Tejas MK2-ORCA and TEDBF-AMCA Mk1/Mk2. Also, Tejas MAX concept implemented on these plus the array of UAVs n UCAVs under development, that's some mouth-watering export and diplomatic/strategic possibilities we can look at.
The maintenance & operating cost chart you are depicting doesn’t show the real picture…
The TEDBF will be way more advanced than any in the list even more than rafale…it is highly souped up with 5th gen tech so it will be a -5th gen fighter so expect way more operating costs than even f15.
whereas,
AMCA will never have that much tech/stealth compared to f22 or f35 especially the mk1 version so expect it’s costs to be around f35 that too cos of being twin engine fighter!
so IAF if they have brains will purchase more AMCA mk1 in vol as it will reduce per unit cost and will not require new infrastructure and maintenance facilities!!(cost effective)
&
about getting squadrons strength up IAF has tejas mk2 option in their arsenal, way cheaper to produce single engine easier & cost effective to maintain just like f16 was in its time…most importantly will go into production around 2026-27

I too personally love the design and everything about TEDBF but we need to be realistic!

THESIS THORON

Country flag
The maintenance & operating cost chart you are depicting doesn’t show the real picture…
The TEDBF will be way more advanced than any in the list even more than rafale…it is highly souped up with 5th gen tech so it will be a -5th gen fighter so expect way more operating costs than even f15.
whereas,
AMCA will never have that much tech/stealth compared to f22 or f35 especially the mk1 version so expect it’s costs to be around f35 that too cos of being twin engine fighter!
so IAF if they have brains will purchase more AMCA mk1 in vol as it will reduce per unit cost and will not require new infrastructure and maintenance facilities!!(cost effective)
&
about getting squadrons strength up IAF has tejas mk2 option in their arsenal, way cheaper to produce single engine easier & cost effective to maintain just like f16 was in its time…most importantly will go into production around 2026-27

I too personally love the design and everything about TEDBF but we need to be realistic!
do you know any thing abt research on cmc in india ??

Super Flanker

Country flag
Honestly I don't see much hope for ORCA to be fair because it's been a long time and I have hardly heard any update with regards to this. Indian Airforce is planning to Induct Tejas Mk1a, Tejas Mk2, GHATAK UAV, AMCA(Mk1& MK2) I don't think so that they will want to add another different type of Aircraft to their Inventory. If ORCA is basically a airforce Variant of TEDBF in which things like the Arrestor hook, and some other stuff is removed and Modifications are done so as for it to be fit to be used by the Indian airforce than it will be a good thing logistically for Indian Airforce in some way to the ORCA because ORCA and TEDBF have similar airframe and Some similar parts. But frankly speaking I don't think so that Indian Airforce is interested in buying ORCA. Let's see what the Future holds, maybe Indian Airforce might change their mind? And go for ORCA along with Tejas mk2, AMCA etc or they will drop it and just stick to their current plan.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Guys any idea what will be the Unit cost of TEDBF? Any Assumptions that you can make with regards to unit cost of TEDBF (Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter)

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
do you know any thing abt research on cmc in india ??
not much is out there it is still in it early phase drdo and various institutions(iits) are working on it but nothing concrete is out there!!
Guys any idea what will be the Unit cost of TEDBF? Any Assumptions that you can make with regards to unit cost of TEDBF (Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter)
if the trend is to be believed
tejas mk1a-$41-45m(we know for sure)
rest might be…
tejas mk2-$60-70m
tedbf. -$80-90m
AMCA. -$110-150m
my prediction although media is ball parking prices pretty low and unrealistic…
somewhere i read AMCA‘s per unit cost expecting to be $80m!

Super Flanker

Country flag
not much is out there it is still in it early phase drdo and various institutions(iits) are working on it but nothing concrete is out there!!

if the trend is to be believed
tejas mk1a-$41-45m(we know for sure)
rest might be…
tejas mk2-$60-70m
tedbf. -$80-90m
AMCA. -$110-150m
my prediction although media is ball parking prices pretty low and unrealistic…
somewhere i read AMCA‘s per unit cost expecting to be $80m!
I know a couple of things which I can add here. The Cost of AMCA MK&1 will be more than 100 million Dollars for each Aircraft and MK-2 might cost around 150+ million Dollars. Tejas mk1a which indian Airforce had ordered in numbers of 83 has supposively a unit cost of around 70 million Dollars!
Source: I don't know if IDRW is a credible source though but I don't think so that the cost will be very less like 43 million Dollars.
(Anyways the deal of 83 Tejas mk1a included other things too for the Aircrafts in e.g, Support Structures)
The tag of 43 million Dollar which you have stated is something that HAL is looking to Export the Aircraft at.
.TEDBF well? I will make An Assumption that it will cost around 90+ million Dollars, not a dime less than that because of how Advanced it will (it will be more advanced than rafale also) and what Generation it will be , it will be more than 90 million Dollars at least. Maybe less or maybe more. Tejas mk-2 will cost more than 60 million Dollar+ though.

Anyways let's Wait for more information and is than we will see how much what Aircraft costs each.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
The real problem with ORCA is it’s timeline which is roughly around the same time as AMCA(2030-32)
thus IAF’s full attention will be on AMCA & rather than paying for airforce specific enhancements to make TEDBF into ORCA, they can just order more AMCA (mk1/mk1a) unit cost wouldn’t be that much different as both are twin engine just slighter more maintenance cost as AMCA would be a true stealth!
If the armed forces & R&D bodies have put this timeline & if they say they can manage & deliver then let's monitor progress on yearly basis. 10 years is a huge time for prototyping.
Conceptual research always goes on about multiple options or selecting most feasible option.
Hence i'm sure that ORCA is definitely being studied at least on CAD, CFD & wind tunnels.
And compared to a new design it is easier to modify only small parts like gear & wing b/w AF & Navy especially when Navy is 1st priority then AF.
IDK how much research & FCS data about canards have been shared to us by Russians & French but it seems looking at great success of Rafale, we are trying to position TEDBF into a delta-canard rather than a traditional tandem bi-plane or tri-plane. Hence as the current TEDBF is not something exotic, it shouldn't be difficult to simultaneously produce AF-ORCA variant.

1642030374820.png

Yes obviously, but after Marut we became pure importers, LCA is 2 decades late for IOC, DoD scams with BoFors, Scorpene, Rafale, etc. Otherwise at least MK1 versions of TEDBF, ORCA, AMCA & N-AMCA all would be flying today already.
But few more years of delay is ok if the DoD guys can deliver in their stated timeline & funding doesn't stop.

> Rafale & TEDBF are 4.5 or 4++, some call it 4.75 (i wonder if there is a scale of 4.1 to 4.9 :lol:). Lockheed Martin showed concept of laser pod on F-16 but that doesn't make F-16 as 6th or even 5.5 gen jet.
> We should also not compare CAPEX & OPEX straight with USA, EU, etc bcoz the purchasing value of currencies, functioning of economies are different. 1US$=70 INR as per ForEx at airport immigration counter but on the streets the purchasing powers of INR & USD are not exactl 1:70 ratio.
> Why comparing TEDBF to F-15?

&

> yes, AMCA MK1 won't/shouldn't be as costly as F-22/35 bcoz F-22 is not exported even to closest allies, i wonder what super secret things it is still hiding & recently there is 11 Billion US$ MLU approved for F-22.
> Till 1st sqaud of AMCA hits, the Tejas MK1/1A & MWF should remain as LSP (Limited Series Production).
> MWF's MK2 version needs to evolve further into something like Sukhoi Checkmate.

1641956689479.png

> We should compare future with something good of current/next gen like i showed above, not previous gen like F-15/16/18 otherwise within our budget & capability envelope also our goal setting, quality standards, performance expectations, justifications, talent utilization, etc might hamper inferiorly.

1642032323893.png

Honestly I don't see much hope for ORCA to be fair because it's been a long time and I have hardly heard any update with regards to this.
ORCA updates are dependant on TEFBF updates.

Indian Airforce is planning to Induct Tejas Mk1a, Tejas Mk2, GHATAK UAV, AMCA(Mk1& MK2) I don't think so that they will want to add another different type of Aircraft to their Inventory. If ORCA is basically a airforce Variant of TEDBF in which things like the Arrestor hook, and some other stuff is removed and Modifications are done so as for it to be fit to be used by the Indian airforce than it will be a good thing logistically for Indian Airforce in some way to the ORCA because ORCA and TEDBF have similar airframe and Some similar parts. But frankly speaking I don't think so that Indian Airforce is interested in buying ORCA. Let's see what the Future holds, maybe Indian Airforce might change their mind? And go for ORCA along with Tejas mk2, AMCA etc or they will drop it and just stick to their current plan.
All these things can become export potential also. If they don't & if the forces don't wan't them either then they can be cancelled. But the prototypes can give us lots of new knowledge & confidence to evolve them or design something new.
We should see global advancements, what our adversaries can come up in how much time, how much budget we can allocate & finally can we match our adversaries or be better to have a victory overall or at least a stalemate.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
-

I think ORCA prototype at least should be flown so that we won't have to rely on future MRCA tenders, bcoz Rafale F5/6 plans are also there in place till they induct FCAS. And ORCA might become good export potential.

-

Let them concentrate on whatever they can research atleast, as long as funding is there, bcoz funding can be restricted for physical things like test-rigs, prototypes, but salaries don't stop & technical stuff rapidly advance. If we common citizens who are not even aero-grads, are discussing so much superficially they can discuss very heavy stuff just over a tea/coffee.
MK1/1A like simple delta light jets are not good for sub-continental countries like ours. They could be good for export to small countries. In 21st century we made it late, proved our brains, now time to evolve further & move on without repeating delays & mistakes. It should remain as LSP only & target exports.
MK2/MWF also needs to evolve further in future version like i showed in previous reply above. All we need is a stronger engine in next 5-10 years by domestic/import/Joint options. Till then the other aspects of airframe should be ready so that rapid prototyping & testing can be done.

In future it will be difficult to draw the replacment ratio like which older jet will be replaced by which newer jet in how many numbers, bcoz the 5-6th gen ecosystem is very different from 4-4++ gen w.r.t. startegy, tactics, capabilities. So it will be definitely be option 3 u mentioned.

Super Flanker

Country flag
ORCA updates are dependant on TEFBF updates.
Could you kindly explain on how ORCA Updates on dependent on TEDBF Updates? Sorry if I may have Missed your Explaination. But please explain how ORCA Updates on dependent on TEDBF Updates? Kindly?
All these things can become export potential also. If they don't & if the forces don't wan't them either then they can be cancelled. But the prototypes can give us lots of new knowledge & confidence to evolve them or design something new.
We should see global advancements, what our adversaries can come up in how much time, how much budget we can allocate & finally can we match our adversaries or be better to have a victory overall or at least a stalemate.
To be fair ,at times you can also Export Weopons which your own Armed forces don't use. Aircrafts like TEDBF ,Tejas mk1a ,Tejas mk2 have lot of potential. Anyways I am curious to see how HAL will be able to handle TEDBF, Tejas mk2, AMCA etc and so many other Aerospace projects simultaneously.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
Could you kindly explain on how ORCA Updates on dependent on TEDBF Updates? Sorry if I may have Missed your Explaination. But please explain how ORCA Updates on dependent on TEDBF Updates? Kindly?
Bcoz the airframe design is as per TEDBF primarily which is sure soo far to be prototyped & produced & ORCA needs slight modification in same airframe w.r.t. gear & wings, like the diff. b/w F-35 A & C.

To be fair ,at times you can also Export Weopons which your own Armed forces don't use. Aircrafts like TEDBF ,Tejas mk1a ,Tejas mk2 have lot of potential. Anyways I am curious to see how HAL will be able to handle TEDBF, Tejas mk2, AMCA etc and so many other Aerospace projects simultaneously.
For example, USAF didn't buy F-18 E/F Super Hornet but other countries AFs did.
I don't wanna shift discussion to LCA but on a lighter note, like i said that light simple jets like LCA doesn't suit well to sub-continental countries like ours just bcoz small size is cheaper & we require numbers. Limitations on small size/volume/load/fuel overall decreases mileage & delivery per sortie. And the small airframe simply can't accomodate more equipment as per characteristics of 4++ gen in the era of 5th gen & also intended to be operated into 6th gen era, LOL. Light jets are good for BD, SL, SE Asian & African countries, etc. We wanna retire Mirage-2000 even after MLUing it then why so sentimental about LCA based basically on M2K, jut bcoz we made it?
However, if right from beginning in 1980s/90s we colaborated with French & Russians on canards when they were experimenting it on Rafale & Su-32/33/34/37 & LCA had canards &/or TVC & only remained as a TD & immediately MWF was constructed then we could have saved 10-15 years & today MWF would have been flying & exported already.
Now also we have 5-10 years time with MWF evolution till we get a stronger engine & perhaps with TVC like J-10C has now. Then MWF can fight much better against J-10C, other Chinese Sukhois, etc. LCA mistake should not be repeated with MWF.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Bcoz the airframe design is as per TEDBF primarily which is sure soo far to be prototyped & produced & ORCA needs slight modification in same airframe w.r.t. gear & wings, like the diff. b/w F-35 A & C.
Again I want to say something here. I am not sure about the design of ORCA ,most people on this Forum assume that ORCA is just a TEDBF version for Indian Airforce and nothing else. Okay now let's assume that ORCA is actually nothing but TEDBF which is configured for Airforce than the following changes will have to be made in the Aircraft:
KnSrS.jpg

1) Remove the Arrestor hook from the Aircraft.
2) Reduce the strength of the undercarriage because TEDBF has a harderned undercarriage because Deck Based Fighters generally have that.
3) Retain the same engines which which might be used in TEDBF.

Etc.....

For example, USAF didn't buy F-18 E/F Super Hornet but other countries AFs did.
I don't wanna shift discussion to LCA but on a lighter note, like i said that light simple jets like LCA doesn't suit well to sub-continental countries like ours just bcoz small size is cheaper & we require numbers. Limitations on small size/volume/load/fuel overall decreases mileage & delivery per sortie. And the small airframe simply can't accomodate more equipment as per characteristics of 4++ gen in the era of 5th gen & also intended to be operated into 6th gen era, LOL. Light jets are good for BD, SL, SE Asian & African countries, etc. We wanna retire Mirage-2000 even after MLUing it then why so sentimental about LCA based basically on M2K, jut bcoz we made it?
However, if right from beginning in 1980s/90s we colaborated with French & Russians on canards when they were experimenting it on Rafale & Su-32/33/34/37 & LCA had canards &/or TVC & only remained as a TD & immediately MWF was constructed then we could have saved 10-15 years & today MWF would have been flying & exported already.
Now also we have 5-10 years time with MWF evolution till we get a stronger engine & perhaps with TVC like J-10C has now. Then MWF can fight much better against J-10C, other Chinese Sukhois, etc. LCA mistake should not be repeated with MWF.
I am aware that US Airforce doesn't use the FA-18 Super Hornet but the US navy does. US navy Operates into Different divisions which are known as the:
1)Pacific Fleet squadrons
2)Atlantic Fleet squadrons
3)Test and Evaluation squadrons
4)Warfighting Development Centers
5)Flight Demonstration squadrons

FA-18C_desert_refueling.jpg

Also Each U.S. Navy deployable "Fleet" VFA squadron is Said to have a standard unit establishment of 12 aircraft. The original F-18 was never Designed for the Airforce but was designed for the Navy. So you can't say that FA-18 is not operated by its own armed forces be it Navy, Airforce or any other armed branch for that matter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with the rest of your points Though.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles