Sukhoi PAK FA

archie

Country flag
Why India should dump FGFA project?

Like most other Russian projects the FGFA or the PAK-FA is one which is high on promise but low on delivery. The specs for this aircraft promises a lot in terms of technology where the Russians are known to be lacking in capability and even they are unsure about their capacity to deliver. Lets look at specs of the T-50 aircraft which is available in Wikipedia.

Length: 19.8 m (65.0 ft)
Wingspan: 13.95 m (45.8 ft)
Height: 4.74 m (15.6 ft)
Wing area: 78.8 m2 (848.1 ft2)
Empty weight: 18,000 kg (39,680 lb)
Loaded weight: 25,000 kg (55,115 lb) typical mission weight, 29,270 kg (64,530 lb) at full load
Max. takeoff weight: 35,000 kg (77,160 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × NPO Saturn izdeliye 117 (AL-41F1)or initial production, izdeliye 30 for later production thrust vectoring turbofan
Dry thrust: 93.1 kN / 110 kN (21,000 lbf / 24,300 lbf) each
Thrust with afterburner: 147 kN / 176 kN (33,067 lbf / 39,600 lbf) each
Fuel capacity: 10,300 kg (22,700 lb)

Engine

The T-50 uses the NPO Saturn AL-41F1 engine with a dry thrust of 93kN.This is quite inadequate. Typically a 5th Generation aircraft with Supercruise as one of the main features should have a engine with a dry thrust of 110 – 120 kN.Such aircraft should not use afterburners because use of afterburners would give away the stealth. The Russians do not possess any proven design for such an engine and even if they come out with one, the result could be similar to that of Su – 30 MKI which has a track record of frequent burn-outs.

Stealth Badly Engineered

There is no clear vision as to how stealth will be achieved, neither does it make heavy use of sloped angles as in F-22 Raptor nor does it make use of composites. The air frame contains a lot of joins which is symbolic of poor construction techniques. Out of 12 weapon hard points 6 are internal and 6 are on the wings. The hard points on the wings give away the stealthiness of an aircraft, thus it leaves no in doubt about the fact that stealth is poorly engineered.

India will get a badly engineered base model which cannot be called a 5th Generation fighter with or without India specific features. This will not satisfy the IAF’s requirement.

Avionics

The avionics suite as known in public domain is:

Sh121 multi-functional integrated radio electronic system (MIRES)

N079 AESA radar
L402 Himalayas ECM suite built by KNIRTI institute
101KS Atoll electro-optical suite
101KS-O: Laser-based counter-measures against infrared missiles
101KS-V: IRST for airborne targets
101KS-U: Ultraviolet warning sensors
101KS-N: Targeting pod

This looks pretty ordinary and there is nothing which stands out as being uncommon or not available in aircraft of similar nature.

AESA Radar

The N079 is based on the N036 Byelka model, different versions of which were displayed at the MAKS airshow in 2009 and 2013.The radar system developed by Tikhomirov NIIP Institute consists of both X-band and L-band arrays but its performance against leading US models, especially the APG-77(V)2 of F-22A Raptor is unknown and kept secret for obvious reasons.

Russian Trial & Error at India’s Cost

The T-50 is the prototype developed for the Russian Air Force under the PAK-FA project. The FGFA is a derivative from the PAK-FA wherein the India specific customizations are sought to be done on the T-50 platform as per IAF’s requirement. So there is no joint development as such.

On 25 January 2016, it was reported that Russia and India have agreed to develop FGFA and lower investment cost to $4 billion for each nation, down from $5.5 billion earlier.

Russia has been very hesitant in transferring technology to India. It took about 8 years to transfer the barrel technology of T-90 tanks…

Should it cost $4 billion to make some customizations? Informed sources say that it is the cost of development of the entire model and Russia will not invest a single rubble.

In other words Russia is fooling India to fund the development of its 5th Generation fighter aircraft base model i.e.T-50 which will be further developed by them as per their needs.

What will India get?

India will get a badly engineered base model which cannot be called a 5th Generation fighter with or without India specific features. This will not satisfy the IAF’s requirement.

Transfer of Technology problems

If we were to assume that Russia would develop a new powerful engine for this aircraft, re-engineer stealth and do every other thing to make it a world-class 5th Generation fighter jet one question still remains. Would it transfer technology to India?

Russia has been very hesitant in transferring technology to India. It took about 8 years to transfer the barrel technology of T-90 tanks even though India purchased those in large numbers. In the case of Su -30 India placed the first order in 1996 for 50 Russian made Su-30′s.Thereafter several upgrades happened till 2012. On 24 December 2012, India ordered assembly kits for 42 Su-30MKIs by signing a deal during President Putin’s visit to India. This increases India’s order total to 272 Su-30MKIs. Russia didn’t transfer the Engine technology and HAL is dependent on Russia for components to assemble the engine and some spare parts. All this after India paid a whopping $15 Billion to Russia for design, development, CKD’s and SKD’s.

At a time when various indigenous fighter jet programs like LCA Mark 2, AMCA are struggling to get fund allocated from the Finance ministry, spending a huge amount of this magnitude on some junk fighter jet of foreign design is pure wastage of money.

So it is likely that Russia won’t transfer crucial technology of the new fighter jet making India ever dependent on it for components, spares etc even after spending a hefty $4 Billion on so called” design and development”.

In short the Russians plan is to milk India for the next 30 years, knowing fully well that she needs a 5th Generation fighter jet. The offer of “joint design and development” is just the entry point in their diabolical gameplan.

Conclusion

Recent news suggest that the talks between India and Russia failed to decide on the S-400 surface-to-air missile system. India has stated that it wants to buy the next-generation air and missiles defense system but Russia wants to link the potential purchase to the PAK-FA deal.

This suggests that Russia is aware that its bear hug with respect to the PAK-FA deal may not work, so it is trying to coerce India into it using another deal.

According to India Today, New Delhi has lost confidence in the Russian T-50 PAK-FA effort after Moscow truncated its buy to about a squadron’s worth of jets. The prevailing view within the Indian air force is that if Russia—which is the senior partner—is backing out of the program, then it will be left as the sole operator of an aircraft that largely fails to meet its requirements. Instead of buying PAK-FA, Russia is planning to continue production of advanced Su-30 and Su-35 Flanker variants.

India’s own Fifth Generation Fighter project – AMCA has far better design and specifications compared to PAK-FA.

In other words, the above is a Russian no-confidence vote against their own product.

If the Russians are not confident about their own product should we repose confidence in it.The answer is a simple no.

At a time when various indigenous fighter jet programs like LCA Mark 2, AMCA are struggling to get fund allocated from the Finance ministry, spending a huge amount of this magnitude on some junk fighter jet of foreign design is pure wastage of money.

India’s own Fifth Generation Fighter project – AMCA has far better design and specifications compared to PAK-FA.

Its always better that we spend billions of dollars in training our own scientists and engineers in developing 5th Generation stealth fighter jet technology as it will not only strengthen our defence but also provide jobs to millions of our countrymen.

Quite rightly the Indian MoD, IAF has expressed reservations over this deal and they should now go one step further to dump it.

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/why-india-should-dump-fgfa-project/

I am no Expert but from the looks on how the engineering has been progressing i can say Russians have always been experimental developers even their famed oxygen rich combustion tech went through years of failures today its the best tech you can every get even the american engines use it... they practically destroyed launch pads to perfect it..

PAKFA prototypes have never been the same since its first flight with subtle changes all the time and that to me as an engineer only see it as one step at a time experiment to get the plane right...

The engine that is currently being used i think is not the final engine and a better engine is to be developed .. i think i have seen that info on this same thread earlier

With IRST expanding F-22 is probably not that stealthy as it is rumoured to be?? I have read Russians prefer agility to a little loss of stealth..

I may be wrong.. but to write of a plane event before it completes development seems tooo hasty

Zebra

Country flag
Dear Sajeev,
IF we do dump FGFA then which 5th gen fighter do you propose to take on the J20/J31 which China has? Moreover which 5th Gen plane has not faced all the below mentioned "TROUBLES" you are alleging against FGFA. The more I read about F-35's development troubles the more I worry whether India can actually deliver the AMBITIOUS and far fetched AMCA !! And over and above everything else which 5th Gen fighter will be a cheaper option than FGFA! Only FGFA will give us the option of delivering a Bhramos (Our most feared weapon against China or PAkistan) Astra or Nirbhay which I am sure the Russians will help us integrate!

I am no fan of FGFA but please elaborate on the above points and I will throw my weight with you!
Sir, you never know.

Both US and Russia failed in their first Mars test.

Just saying though.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I am no Expert but from the looks on how the engineering has been progressing i can say Russians have always been experimental developers even their famed oxygen rich combustion tech went through years of failures today its the best tech you can every get even the american engines use it... they practically destroyed launch pads to perfect it..

PAKFA prototypes have never been the same since its first flight with subtle changes all the time and that to me as an engineer only see it as one step at a time experiment to get the plane right...

The engine that is currently being used i think is not the final engine and a better engine is to be developed .. i think i have seen that info on this same thread earlier

With IRST expanding F-22 is probably not that stealthy as it is rumoured to be?? I have read Russians prefer agility to a little loss of stealth..

I may be wrong.. but to write of a plane event before it completes development seems tooo hasty
Yeah! Indians imagine a plane and it is flying the next day??

The entire science is based on hit and trial. This is why a major drug discovery can take ten years.

You are living in dream world my friend.

The way PAKFA is being developed is the NORMAL way. Your expectations are abnormal.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Sir, you never know.

Just saying though.
NO. AMCA program is far more risky than LCA in scope. (and completely different from a rocket)
The infrastructure needed exists in case of rocketry and has been developed over past 50 years.

You may be ignorant about the fact that India DID NOT develop aviation properly over the past fifty years. What are India's achievement in aviation?

garg_bharat

Country flag
The PAK FA project today consists of five flying prototypes and three copies used for conducting ground testing. Three additional aircraft are currently under construction and testing work is already close to completion. At least this is what Deputy Defense Minister Yury Borisov announced in December 2015.

Moreover, modernized Soviet air-to-air medium and long-range missiles (modernized Soviet R-73 or RVV-MD and the R-37 or RVV-BD) created for the PAK FA as well as for fourth-generation fighter planes should have gone into mass production by the end of 2015. No one is sure if this has occurred as planned. Optimized for the PAK FA, the anti-radar KH-58UShK missile, which was created on the basis of the Kh-58 missile that went into service in 1978, is also still being tested.

When will it go into service?
Given all the current problems, the Ministry of Defense has decided to reduce its purchases of the PAK FA in favor of the cheaper and already proven SU-35S fighter planes.

“Yes, we are reducing our purchases of the PAK FA fighter, and in the coming years, we will buy only one squadron,” Borisov said in July 2015.

A squadron in the Russian Aerospace Forces consists of 12 aircraft. It is interesting to note that in May 2015, the Russian Air Force Commander Viktor Bondarev said that the military was ready to buy “as many PAK FA fighters as the manufacturing industry could build.”

It seems that either the economic situation, or the modest pace of development of the PAK FA program, or a combination of these factors, has forced the Ministry of Defense to reconsider its previous plans. Nothing has changed since the end of 2015 and proof of this is the fact that before the New Year they announced the signing of a contract to buy 50 additional Su-35S planes.

Immediate prospects
The refusal by the Ministry of Defense to purchase large batches of PAK FA before the aircraft is fully ready is quite understandable, especially since the Russian military has had previous experience operating Mi-28N helicopters without onboard radar and Ka-52 helicopters without anti-tank Vikhr (Whirlwind) missiles.

These problems were resolved, but the repetition of a similar situation with a much more expensive aircraft would not be rational in terms of the overall preparedness of the aerospace forces. At the same time, a small initial batch would allow military pilots to develop warfare and operational tactics by the year 2020 when the aircraft will receive its new weapons, full-fledged radar and most importantly, the so-called “second stage engines.” These engines will provide the PAK FA with one of the key features of a fifth generation fighter – a supersonic flight without the use of afterburners.

http://rbth.com/defence/2016/01/29/pak-fa-fighter-jets-6-years-of-5th-generation-flights_563329

garg_bharat

Country flag
The linked article basically points to a funding problem. Obviously Indian money will make a difference.

The plane will fly with RuAF in any case in 2020 (indian involvement or not).

It will be interesting what IAF will fly against Chinese fifth generation planes in a possible future war. Maybe imaginary Rafales or realistically paper planes.

The Chinese planes will also appear in the same timeframe as Russia.

Superdefender

Russian 5G fighter to go into serial production in 2017

By GPD on January 24, 2016

The T-50 has a very flexible mission platform

… from Russia Today, Moscow

[ Editor’s Note: US corporate media is devoid of any Russian comparisons to the usual technical problems and cost overruns which are all too common with US generation weapons systems.

We have more than a few sources that say such flaws are designed into the early programs to create those overruns, for which the manufacturers appear to have “manufacturer immunity” incorporated in to the “cost plus” factor of their contracts.

The other popular scam is incorporating “evolving or future technologies” into this new systems, which can trigger another five or ten years of funding trying to fix them like with the F-35, or the F-22 whose skin does not like rain at high speeds.

The Russians have studied all of the US weapons fiascoes and accepted that their people cannot afford such cost gouging so they are being very careful with the testing despite their need for the next generation fighter ASAP. We see they went ahead with the test plane productions without the new engine being ready to get all of the air frame and avionics testing out of the way.

I will bet you that the new engines will fit fine into the current air frame as we see modular construction in every new Russian weapons system possible to reduce the costs of future upgrades. Suggesting such a thing inside the US weapons design complex would have you fired immediately.

We prefer ground up new design construction at the highest cost possible with the golden carrot that it will be superior for a generation, a huckster’s promise. We are getting a taste of this “superiority” with the two Littoral class Navy ships in port now with propulsion system issues, one of those due to oil fillings in the engine oil filters.

It is critical for the Russians to bring their weapons on line at a reasonable cost to afford the number they need for their armed forces, and to also help keep the profit margins higher on exports to keep funding the R&D upgrades and the manufacturing ability to increase production during dangerous times... Jim W. Dean ]

– First published … January 24, 2016 –

The final primary batch of PAK-FA fighter jets is almost complete and tests will be finished in 2016, top military officials told the media. The Russian Air Force hopes to start regular production of the new 5G jets soon, with the first planes coming in 2017.

The PAK-FA (Perspective Air Complex of Frontline Aviation) fighter jets are being manufactured by the KnAAPO (Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production Association) in the Russian Far East. Part of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation, the KnAAPO is the country’s largest aircraft-manufacturing company, producing both military aircrafts and civilian planes like the Sukhoi Super Jet.

Air Force Commander-in-Chief Viktor Bondarev, who recently visited the KnAAPO production facility, has told RIA Novosti he is extremely pleased with the pace of the PAK-FA’s (also known as the T-50) development.

“The eleventh T-50 aircraft is on berth and is 60-70 percent ready. This aircraft is going to be the final one in the test series,” Bondarev said, adding he is 100 percent sure the jets will pass government testing by the end of 2016. “Next year the aircraft goes into serial production,” he told RIA.

Bondarev said that the PAK-FA’s operational engine will be ready for testing next year and is likely to go into production in 2018. At the moment, the PAK-FA is powered with two AL-41F1 engines which enable it to fly at a supersonic cruise speed, have a 2,600 km/h top speed, and a range of 5,500 kilometers (with two drop tanks).

The next-stage engine, currently dubbed ‘Type 30,’ is expected to have better speed and fuel economy characteristics.

The Air Force commander recalled the incident in which a PAK-FA #5 caught fire at Zhukovsky Airfield near Moscow, where the 5G (fifth generation) fighters are being tested.

“The aircraft has been restored and it is flying. This serves as proof the aircraft is highly maintainable, we do need such machines,” Bondarev said.

The PAK-FA, the first Russian military aircraft developed from scratch since the fall of the Soviet Union, performed its maiden flight in January 29, 2010.

In 2016 Russian aerospace forces expect to make operational over 140 aircraft and helicopters, and receive supplies of 200,000 units of air-delivered ordnance. In 2015 aerospace forces gained over 190 aircraft and helicopters, and some 30,000 air-launched weapons, Bondarev reported.

The commander also revealed that Russia’s future bomber PAK-DA (Perspective Air Complex of Long-range Aviation) could make it into the air earlier than previously expected.

“Design works for the PAK-DA are underway and we’re satisfied with the pace. The task is to make a test machine fly in 2021, but if the work continues the way it is now, this could happen earlier,” Bondarev noted.

Stealth squared: PAK-FA’s new angular missiles’ images pop up online

Modernization project of precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile KH-59МК2, Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation

Special stealth versions of existing cruise missiles designed specifically for deployment from inner weapon bays of the 5G PAK-FA stealth fighter jet have appeared on the internet following the MAKS-2015 international air show.

Developed by the Raduga (Rainbow) State Engineering Development Laboratory, an integral part of Russia’s Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation, these unusual-looking square section air-to-surface and antiradar cruise missiles are specifically designated for the PAK-FA 5G fighter jet and possibly for the future long-distance PAK-DA bomber. The images were posted online by sdelanounas.ru website.

The KH-59МК2 cruise missile and KH-58USHKA anti-radar missile are compact versions of existing missiles, redesigned and deeply modernized to satisfy the needs of next-generation stealth aircraft.

Precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile KH-59МК2 and antiradar missile KH-58USHKA, Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation © sdelanounas.ru

The KH-59МК2 measures 0.4 meters by 0.4 meters in section and is only 4.2 meters long. When mounted into an inside weapon bay of a PAK-FA, it will not interfere with an aircraft’s stealth capabilities.

Yet this 770kg missile is also designed using stealth technology. It can be launched from any altitude from 200 meters to 11km, delivering its 310kg warhead to a target at a speed of up to 1,000kph.

For large-area targets, the KH-59МК2 missile has a cluster-munitions dispenser type of warhead.

Unlike its predecessor KH-59, which had its engine positioned under the missile’s body, thus making it possible to mount under the wing of the aircraft only, the new missiles have their engines hidden within the main body of the projectile.

Standard KH-59МК precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile © Rbase.new-factoria.ru

With a miss distance of a mere 3 meters, the missile promises to hit the bull’s eye.

The range of the export version, allegedly being presented for the Indian version of PAK-FA, the FGFA aircraft, is limited to 290km, while the range of the home version remains a secret and could be much longer.

The new missiles can also be mounted on all new types of Russian tactical aircraft, such as the Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jet, the Su-34 bomber, the Su-35 super-maneuverable multirole fighter and the Mikoyan MiG-29K carrier-based multirole fighter.

________

‘Better than US-made 5G’: PAK-FA fighter to engage sea, air & ground targets

Sukhoi PAK-FA fifth-generation fighter jet is finalizing tests of its versatile arsenal before deployment next year. Russia’s Air Force chief says there will be no such target on the scene of operations that the fighter would not be able to engage.

When compared to American F-22 or F-35 5G fighter jets, Sukhoi PAK-FA (T-50) is going to “outperform them in all technical aspects,” the commander of the Russian Air Forces, Lieutenant General Viktor Bondarev said on Thursday.

The PAK-FA fighter jet is going to be truly multirole, being able to equally engage targets “on the ground, in the air and on the sea,” he said, confirming that in 2016 the Air Force will first get the aircraft, then in 2017 the PAK-FA will go into serial production.

With the cutting-edge equipment installed on already manufactured machines, there are more features in development to be integrated into the fighter’s systems on later stages, said Bondarev, mentioning “practical stealth” program being applied in the PAK-FA’s development.

Earlier this week Vladimir Mikheev, an advisor to the deputy head of the Radioelectronic Technologies Concern [KRET], said that the Sukhoi PAK-FA fighter jet is “already to some degree a flying robot,” where “the reaction of the aviator is a part of the control loop.”

He also said that PAK-FA is going to be less observable on radars than generally recognized American stealth trendsetter, the F-22 fighter jet.

“The T-50 is now ahead of not only all other fighters of the Russian Army, but also foreign models. For example, the visibility of the American fifth-generation F-22 fighter is 0.3-0.4 square meters,” the developer stressed.

The Sukhoi PAK FA’s visibility stands at between 0.1 and 1 square meters, KRET added.

“Performance-wise it certainly looks to compete with the Raptor,” The National Interest cited senior US military official comparing the F-22 and PAK-FA.

Last year, former US Air Force intelligence chief Lt. Gen. Dave Deptula commented to the National Interest that PAK-FA has“pretty sophisticated design that is at least equal to, and some have said even superior to US fifth-generation aircraft.”

The National Interest named PAK-FA “an air superiority fighter, rather than a multi-role aircraft like the F-35,” putting the capability to cruise supersonically ahead other features.

According to Bondarev, which mentioned that PAK-FA’s top speed exceeds Mach 2.0, other features are decisive for modern fighter jet, which are “low-signature, [wide variety of] armament and [super]maneuverability.”

The Russian Air Force plans to purchase 55 T-50 fighter jets between 2016 and 2020, was reported in December.

________

Tu-160 strategic bomber back into production, PAK-DA in design
Russia’s commander-in chief, President Vladimir Putin, and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu have approved return to production of the Soviet strategic bomber Tupolev Tu-160, the world’s largest combat aircraft.

The aircraft is going to be produced in modernized version and in order to repay expenditures, “no less that 50 machines will eventually be produced,” Bondarev said.

There are 16 Tu-160 strategic bombers currently operable in Russia, that’s all that is left of 60+ planes produced in the USSR. After the fall of the Soviet Union most Tu-160s were left in Ukraine, where they were destroyed under a US-financed program.

Bondarev stressed that production of modernized Tu-160M aircraft would not interfere with development of PAK-DA (Perspective Air Complex of Long-Range Aviation) strategic bomber.

In August 2014, the general confirmed that the Air Forces expect the Tupolev Corporation to produce first prototypes of PAK-DA by the end of the decade and launch series production in 2021-2022.

The US military officials have expressed a certain concern in regards of the upcoming Russian 5G fighter jet.

Source Link: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/01/24/russian-5g-fighter-to-go-into-serial-production-in-2017/

smestarz

Country flag
In a way, using T-160 (like B-1) makes more sense than using B-2 in combat specially against tough opponents which have credible air defence and air force to reply with.
At a cost of 1 B-2, they can get an entire Squadron of planes like Tu-160 or B-1

[ Editor’s Note: US corporate media is devoid of any Russian comparisons to the usual technical problems and cost overruns which are all too common with US generation weapons systems.

We have more than a few sources that say such flaws are designed into the early programs to create those overruns, for which the manufacturers appear to have “manufacturer immunity” incorporated in to the “cost plus” factor of their contracts.

The other popular scam is incorporating “evolving or future technologies” into this new systems, which can trigger another five or ten years of funding trying to fix them like with the F-35, or the F-22 whose skin does not like rain at high speeds.

The Russians have studied all of the US weapons fiascoes and accepted that their people cannot afford such cost gouging so they are being very careful with the testing despite their need for the next generation fighter ASAP. We see they went ahead with the test plane productions without the new engine being ready to get all of the air frame and avionics testing out of the way.

I will bet you that the new engines will fit fine into the current air frame as we see modular construction in every new Russian weapons system possible to reduce the costs of future upgrades. Suggesting such a thing inside the US weapons design complex would have you fired immediately.

We prefer ground up new design construction at the highest cost possible with the golden carrot that it will be superior for a generation, a huckster’s promise. We are getting a taste of this “superiority” with the two Littoral class Navy ships in port now with propulsion system issues, one of those due to oil fillings in the engine oil filters.

It is critical for the Russians to bring their weapons on line at a reasonable cost to afford the number they need for their armed forces, and to also help keep the profit margins higher on exports to keep funding the R&D upgrades and the manufacturing ability to increase production during dangerous times... Jim W. Dean ]

The final primary batch of PAK-FA fighter jets is almost complete and tests will be finished in 2016, top military officials told the media. The Russian Air Force hopes to start regular production of the new 5G jets soon, with the first planes coming in 2017.

The PAK-FA (Perspective Air Complex of Frontline Aviation) fighter jets are being manufactured by the KnAAPO (Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production Association) in the Russian Far East. Part of Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation, the KnAAPO is the country’s largest aircraft-manufacturing company, producing both military aircrafts and civilian planes like the Sukhoi Super Jet.

Air Force Commander-in-Chief Viktor Bondarev, who recently visited the KnAAPO production facility, has told RIA Novosti he is extremely pleased with the pace of the PAK-FA’s (also known as the T-50) development.

“The eleventh T-50 aircraft is on berth and is 60-70 percent ready. This aircraft is going to be the final one in the test series,” Bondarev said, adding he is 100 percent sure the jets will pass government testing by the end of 2016. “Next year the aircraft goes into serial production,” he told RIA.

Bondarev said that the PAK-FA’s operational engine will be ready for testing next year and is likely to go into production in 2018. At the moment, the PAK-FA is powered with two AL-41F1 engines which enable it to fly at a supersonic cruise speed, have a 2,600 km/h top speed, and a range of 5,500 kilometers (with two drop tanks).

The next-stage engine, currently dubbed ‘Type 30,’ is expected to have better speed and fuel economy characteristics.

The Air Force commander recalled the incident in which a PAK-FA #5 caught fire at Zhukovsky Airfield near Moscow, where the 5G (fifth generation) fighters are being tested.

“The aircraft has been restored and it is flying. This serves as proof the aircraft is highly maintainable, we do need such machines,” Bondarev said.

The PAK-FA, the first Russian military aircraft developed from scratch since the fall of the Soviet Union, performed its maiden flight in January 29, 2010.

In 2016 Russian aerospace forces expect to make operational over 140 aircraft and helicopters, and receive supplies of 200,000 units of air-delivered ordnance. In 2015 aerospace forces gained over 190 aircraft and helicopters, and some 30,000 air-launched weapons, Bondarev reported.

The commander also revealed that Russia’s future bomber PAK-DA (Perspective Air Complex of Long-range Aviation) could make it into the air earlier than previously expected.

“Design works for the PAK-DA are underway and we’re satisfied with the pace. The task is to make a test machine fly in 2021, but if the work continues the way it is now, this could happen earlier,” Bondarev noted.

Modernization project of precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile KH-59МК2, Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation

Special stealth versions of existing cruise missiles designed specifically for deployment from inner weapon bays of the 5G PAK-FA stealth fighter jet have appeared on the internet following the MAKS-2015 international air show.

Developed by the Raduga (Rainbow) State Engineering Development Laboratory, an integral part of Russia’s Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation, these unusual-looking square section air-to-surface and antiradar cruise missiles are specifically designated for the PAK-FA 5G fighter jet and possibly for the future long-distance PAK-DA bomber. The images were posted online by sdelanounas.ru website.

The KH-59МК2 cruise missile and KH-58USHKA anti-radar missile are compact versions of existing missiles, redesigned and deeply modernized to satisfy the needs of next-generation stealth aircraft.

Precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile KH-59МК2 and antiradar missile KH-58USHKA, Tactical Missile Munitions Corporation © sdelanounas.ru

The KH-59МК2 measures 0.4 meters by 0.4 meters in section and is only 4.2 meters long. When mounted into an inside weapon bay of a PAK-FA, it will not interfere with an aircraft’s stealth capabilities.

Yet this 770kg missile is also designed using stealth technology. It can be launched from any altitude from 200 meters to 11km, delivering its 310kg warhead to a target at a speed of up to 1,000kph.

For large-area targets, the KH-59МК2 missile has a cluster-munitions dispenser type of warhead.

Unlike its predecessor KH-59, which had its engine positioned under the missile’s body, thus making it possible to mount under the wing of the aircraft only, the new missiles have their engines hidden within the main body of the projectile.

Standard KH-59МК precision-guided operational-tactical air launched cruise missile © Rbase.new-factoria.ru

With a miss distance of a mere 3 meters, the missile promises to hit the bull’s eye.

The range of the export version, allegedly being presented for the Indian version of PAK-FA, the FGFA aircraft, is limited to 290km, while the range of the home version remains a secret and could be much longer.

The new missiles can also be mounted on all new types of Russian tactical aircraft, such as the Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jet, the Su-34 bomber, the Su-35 super-maneuverable multirole fighter and the Mikoyan MiG-29K carrier-based multirole fighter.

________

Sukhoi PAK-FA fifth-generation fighter jet is finalizing tests of its versatile arsenal before deployment next year. Russia’s Air Force chief says there will be no such target on the scene of operations that the fighter would not be able to engage.

When compared to American F-22 or F-35 5G fighter jets, Sukhoi PAK-FA (T-50) is going to “outperform them in all technical aspects,” the commander of the Russian Air Forces, Lieutenant General Viktor Bondarev said on Thursday.

The PAK-FA fighter jet is going to be truly multirole, being able to equally engage targets “on the ground, in the air and on the sea,” he said, confirming that in 2016 the Air Force will first get the aircraft, then in 2017 the PAK-FA will go into serial production.

With the cutting-edge equipment installed on already manufactured machines, there are more features in development to be integrated into the fighter’s systems on later stages, said Bondarev, mentioning “practical stealth” program being applied in the PAK-FA’s development.

Earlier this week Vladimir Mikheev, an advisor to the deputy head of the Radioelectronic Technologies Concern [KRET], said that the Sukhoi PAK-FA fighter jet is “already to some degree a flying robot,” where “the reaction of the aviator is a part of the control loop.”

He also said that PAK-FA is going to be less observable on radars than generally recognized American stealth trendsetter, the F-22 fighter jet.

“The T-50 is now ahead of not only all other fighters of the Russian Army, but also foreign models. For example, the visibility of the American fifth-generation F-22 fighter is 0.3-0.4 square meters,” the developer stressed.

The Sukhoi PAK FA’s visibility stands at between 0.1 and 1 square meters, KRET added.

“Performance-wise it certainly looks to compete with the Raptor,” The National Interest cited senior US military official comparing the F-22 and PAK-FA.

Last year, former US Air Force intelligence chief Lt. Gen. Dave Deptula commented to the National Interest that PAK-FA has“pretty sophisticated design that is at least equal to, and some have said even superior to US fifth-generation aircraft.”

The National Interest named PAK-FA “an air superiority fighter, rather than a multi-role aircraft like the F-35,” putting the capability to cruise supersonically ahead other features.

According to Bondarev, which mentioned that PAK-FA’s top speed exceeds Mach 2.0, other features are decisive for modern fighter jet, which are “low-signature, [wide variety of] armament and [super]maneuverability.”

The Russian Air Force plans to purchase 55 T-50 fighter jets between 2016 and 2020, was reported in December.

________

Russia’s commander-in chief, President Vladimir Putin, and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu have approved return to production of the Soviet strategic bomber Tupolev Tu-160, the world’s largest combat aircraft.

The aircraft is going to be produced in modernized version and in order to repay expenditures, “no less that 50 machines will eventually be produced,” Bondarev said.

There are 16 Tu-160 strategic bombers currently operable in Russia, that’s all that is left of 60+ planes produced in the USSR. After the fall of the Soviet Union most Tu-160s were left in Ukraine, where they were destroyed under a US-financed program.

Bondarev stressed that production of modernized Tu-160M aircraft would not interfere with development of PAK-DA (Perspective Air Complex of Long-Range Aviation) strategic bomber.

In August 2014, the general confirmed that the Air Forces expect the Tupolev Corporation to produce first prototypes of PAK-DA by the end of the decade and launch series production in 2021-2022.

The US military officials have expressed a certain concern in regards of the upcoming Russian 5G fighter jet.

Source Link: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2016/01/24/russian-5g-fighter-to-go-into-serial-production-in-2017/

smestarz

Country flag
In a way, using T-160 (like B-1) makes more sense than using B-2 in combat specially against tough opponents which have credible air defence and air force to reply with.
At a cost of 1 B-2, they can get an entire Squadron of planes like Tu-160 or B-1

________

________

smestarz

Country flag

________

________

Superdefender

@smestarz, yes. West has a flawed economic model. Everything they make just costs upward. May India have 2-3 Tu-160s.....If you think B-2 Spirit is so costly, then wait for next 5g B-21. Its price will be too high. I don't think US can buy all planned B-21s.

archie

Country flag
Yeah! Indians imagine a plane and it is flying the next day??

The entire science is based on hit and trial. This is why a major drug discovery can take ten years.

You are living in dream world my friend.

The way PAKFA is being developed is the NORMAL way. Your expectations are abnormal.
Please read what i have said... I am only saying that doubts that are being spread n a plane that is yet to be developed is ulterior or un warranted ... let them finish the plane before it can be compared to its equivalents

smestarz

Country flag
I did read about it US$ 550 a plane, and for some reason I think it will end up being twice that price
USAF is trying to keep Northrop Grumman afloat.
@smestarz, yes. West has a flawed economic model. Everything they make just costs upward. May India have 2-3 Tu-160s.....If you think B-2 Spirit is so costly, then wait for next 5g B-21. Its price will be too high. I don't think US can buy all planned B-21s.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Please read what i have said... I am only saying that doubts that are being spread n a plane that is yet to be developed is ulterior or un warranted ... let them finish the plane before it can be compared to its equivalents
I repeat again that AMCA is not a factor in a decision about FGFA. Let IAF advance this line of thinking officially and justify. Fanciful articles attributed to non-relevant sources will not help IAF's case.

PAK-FA program is a Russian program and any progress on it or lack thereof is not an issue that Indians should bother about. India will take a baseline PAKFA (when India is ready to take a decision) and use it for further development of FGFA.

Neelkanth

It does not that progress is not going on .
Quite to the contrary. But I will not dwell in the details, just the development has stalled for the want of money. and metallurgical Tech, Russia is yet to develop a new engine since soviet days, a good 20+ years of hiatus. Makes it difficult.

How are the near bankrupt.
One of the articles : http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-runni...ys-reserve-fund-could-be-drained-2016-2158349
and one more :
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo...onomy-may-have-finally-bottomed/#a0004d09ab39

Apparently I guess you have no clue what the sub $40 oil prices have done to the Russian Economy or the war expenses or the fall of the GDP.

A new engine , new weapons ,QWIP equipped IRST and two ,GaN equipped is ASER and more sensor and photonic radar ,it comes at a cost .It is still cheap compare to F 35. We make FGFA ,HAL will do some changes mainly avionic

Its has open structure ,we can add anything that fits in it, but with approval
Yes, one gets what one pays for, A fighter which should have been comparable to F 22, and F35 is not a comparable platform or a bird it is a totally different weapons system in itself. Still we have no data of the stealth characteristics of the bird. Not on Open forum but even with IAF brass. by whatever I have gathered for the past 6 years it "sacrifices stealth for super-maneuverability" So basically not stealth but a Low observable radar signature aircraft.

So New engine, (hence) New Air-frame, New Sensors, New radars,New Avionics, basically everything except the landing gear and under carriage. and we are paying Half for the development.

In all we should vouch for IPRs (open structure is a design philosophy not an agreement to use IPRs ) to use the tech on our other home developments. We cannot tweak at will, the bird to fit western Engines, unlikely that it will allow integration of western weapons or Engines. We will end up funding Russia's dream bird not ours (and we are paying half, it is as much our bird as theirs why permissions?).

IAF when the design phase was completed asked for a new engine ,then Russian asked for money and it turned out no one had the money in short term,what IAF is talked about in a upgrade but IAF want its now and our participation was frozen ,we need to renegotiate the contract and it will be done,India will get a lot of tech form it ,it is next gen lifter and I donot think so we let it go that easy .
The MTA never made it to the Design phase, Russians were apprised of FADC requirement of IAF, could have made it work but they were against fitting of Western in engine, even of CFM turbofans. Also say even if IAF did make a late requirement, was it such a huge design change that it couldn't be done in good 6 years.

Russia wants a Strict buyer seller relation vis a vis India on certain weapons that are made/sold in large numbers. or has other markets as customers.

We will get Nuclear subs and tech from them even outright designs and blue prints too on some systems too, but they will be high value strategic weapon systems, which cannot have another market ( simply because others cant afford it, or don't have such threats.)

I told you ,if the engine will be replace in less then 5 years,why order the air frame with older engine
They are talks of allow a IAF pilot to fly the prototype in Russia ,only then IAF will get a good idea but till now it has been with engine only,but not in specify
Yep, Let's see how it goes through.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Basically a lot of BS from @Neelkanth without any specifics.

"Russia is yet to develop a new engine since soviet days" :

Pure lies

"A fighter which should have been comparable to F 22, and F35" :

Why develop it with Russia. Buy F-22, F-35. Simpler.

"The MTA never made it to the Design phase" :

Really. It will fly without Indian participation. If there is delay, that is due to other priorities.

"Russia wants a Strict buyer seller relation vis a vis India on certain weapons that are made/sold in large numbers. or has other markets as customers. "

That is why we have projects like Brahmos, or Russian support to Indian strategic subs - pure buyer seller relationship. T-90 and Su-30 are built in India. T-72 is built in India. Again pure buyer - seller relationship.

The so called indian design weapons also carry a Soviet/Russian stamp in most cases. Again pure coincidence.

Limits of hypocrisy.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Sir, you never know.

Just saying though.
I get your point Zebra and a long time ago I had gone to the extent of suggesting that ISRO should be involved to help HAL/ADA sort out the SCB and other engine techs that were holding up Kaveri. It was ages ago when I had suggested that and in return I even got into a wrangling match with some of the Ex-DFI members who were all gung-ho about Rafale and pooh-pooh'ed Tejas!

Anyways I would applaud any effort or any measure that helps deliver AMCA ... whatever it takes!!

garg_bharat

Country flag
@Punya Pratap, I would caution you from focusing on just one thing like SCB.

Building a fighter like AMCA successfully starting from the position we have can easily take 50-60 billion USD and very concerted effort from our top universities, R&D establishments, and private industry. HAL will not do as industrial partner.

If we take the same approach as compromises in LCA - take engine from US, radar from Israel etc., it will not be immune from sanctions, and it will not contribute significantly to our knowledge base. And it will not be a product that IAF wants in the first place.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
@Punya Pratap, I would caution you from focusing on just one thing like SCB.

Building a fighter like AMCA successfully starting from the position we have can easily take 50-60 billion USD and very concerted effort from our top universities, R&D establishments, and private industry. HAL will not do as industrial partner.

If we take the same approach as compromises in LCA - take engine from US, radar from Israel etc., it will not be immune from sanctions, and it will not contribute significantly to our knowledge base. And it will not be a product that IAF wants in the first place.
@ garg_bharat, that statement was made in regard to Kaveri which was at that time the biggest concern for Tejas development. The biggest hurdles were developing alloys that could with stand high temps needed for SCB etc and I had suggested ISRO simply coz they would know a thing or two. Much water has flowed under the bridge between then and now so its not relevant anymore.

Anyways I know AMCA is going to be a mountain to climb and needs a sustained and concentrated effort with lots of funding and patience! I think a new entity comprising of Private as well as Public sector research and industrial powerhouses will have to brought on board to deliver which has to be led by IAF who should take the responsibility otherwise we are headed for TEJAS Saga all over again!!

HAL/ADA methodology will not work at all hence we need to revise the strategy and approach!

Bahamut

Tech, Russia is yet to develop a new engine since soviet days, a good 20+ years of hiatus. Makes it difficult.
What is PD 14 ,newer version of RD 33 and AL 41.
So basically not stealth but a Low observable radar signature aircraft.
There is nothing know as stealth ,it only appear in market video ,there is only Low Observable design for X band ,other then that there is plasma stealth,
Still we have no data of the stealth characteristics of the bird. Not on Open forum but even with IAF brass.
It as avg RCS of 0.1 -1 m^2.
So New engine, (hence) New Air-frame, New Sensors, New radars,New Avionics, basically everything except the landing gear and under carriage. and we are paying Half for the development.
Read the contract,the price is shared 50 -50 ,FGFA is important without there will no AMCA,critical technology like sensor fission,DAESR radar,some components for engine ,RAM,electronic warefare etc will be provide .There will be no changes in air frame , from the start it build for Item 30.AL 41F is a temporary solution.
In all we should vouch for IPRs (open structure is a design philosophy not an agreement to use IPRs ) to use the tech on our other home developments. We cannot tweak at will, the bird to fit western Engines, unlikely that it will allow integration of western weapons or Engines. We will end up funding Russia's dream bird not ours (and we are paying half, it is as much our bird as theirs why permissions?).
There is no engine except Item 30 that will give the performance required ,at least read the specs .
Please read the contract ,we can add western engine or avionics but since the final integration of all system is done by KRET so we require permission,it is no major problem ,we get it easily.I am dam sure that no western country will give it system to instal in PAK FA.By the way sensor and avionics in PAK FA are far superior to competitor
The MTA never made it to the Design phase, Russians were apprised of FADC requirement of IAF, could have made it work but they were against fitting of Western in engine, even of CFM turbofans.
Read the contract,all the system in MTA were to be commercial in production or near production,no new system as the budget was limited to less then 1$ billion dollar, a new engine means about 5$ billion dollar and no one had the money ,what do
One of the articles : http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-runni...ys-reserve-fund-could-be-drained-2016-2158349
and one more :
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo...onomy-may-have-finally-bottomed/#a0004d09ab39

Apparently I guess you have no clue what the sub $40 oil prices have done to the Russian Economy or the war expenses or the fall of the GDP.
If you account in the fall of ruble then there GDP has remain the same ,this nothing for them ,it is not even hurting ,their industry and agriculture are growing substituting for the imports and they also have new trade partner like India ,China,Vietnam,Africa and in future Japan and South Korea.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles