PAK-FA flameout embarrasses Sukhoi

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

By Vladimir Karnozov

Russia's MAKS 2011 air show closed with an embarrassment for Sukhoi, when the pilot of its second prototype PAK-FA/T-50 was forced to abort a take-off run after two bursts of flame erupted from the fifth-generation fighter's starboard engine.

The incident happened in front of about 200,000 visitors, who had gathered at Ramenskoye air base near Moscow on 21 August to watch a flying display.

Also referred to as T-50-2, or Side 52, the aircraft was forced to stop from a speed of around 100km/h, with Sukhoi test pilot Sergei Bogdan using wheel brakes and also deploying a brake parachute.

It stopped well short of the aerodrome fence, thanks to the 5,000m (16,400ft) length of the runway.

Sukhoi said the aircraft had suffered a technical malfunction but no damage, and that its pilot had acted "in accordance with manuals".

The company later attributed the issue to a "malfunctioning fuel supply system" and to the NPO Saturn Item 117 engine's full-authority digital engine control system.

To further Sukhoi's embarrassment, immediately after the incident the show's organisers promised the public that the first PAK-FA prototype would fly instead. This failed to happen, with the aircraft believed to have been sent for maintenance shortly after performing in front of Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin on 17 August.

arya

Country flag
well not good news but that's not means all things are wrong

debasree

Country flag
Come on its a innitial stage and new aerodinamics and enjine have been testig,i mean its new to russia also,so this thing can happen in begining ,but the lessons they get from the innitial hic up have to be rectify early and hopefull about the next stage when russians modified pak fa come out .

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well its embarrassing only because it happened in front of the media in an air show. Such things happen otherwise particularly because its a new bird. Come out stronger from it and carry on.

codysmacks

By Vladimir Karnozov

Russia's MAKS 2011 air show closed with an embarrassment for Sukhoi, when the pilot of its second prototype PAK-FA/T-50 was forced to abort a take-off run after two bursts of flame erupted from the fifth-generation fighter's starboard engine.

The incident happened in front of about 200,000 visitors, who had gathered at Ramenskoye air base near Moscow on 21 August to watch a flying display.

Also referred to as T-50-2, or Side 52, the aircraft was forced to stop from a speed of around 100km/h, with Sukhoi test pilot Sergei Bogdan using wheel brakes and also deploying a brake parachute.

It stopped well short of the aerodrome fence, thanks to the 5,000m (16,400ft) length of the runway.

Sukhoi said the aircraft had suffered a technical malfunction but no damage, and that its pilot had acted "in accordance with manuals".

The company later attributed the issue to a "malfunctioning fuel supply system" and to the NPO Saturn Item 117 engine's full-authority digital engine control system.

To further Sukhoi's embarrassment, immediately after the incident the show's organisers promised the public that the first PAK-FA prototype would fly instead. This failed to happen, with the aircraft believed to have been sent for maintenance shortly after performing in front of Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin on 17 August.
THis is a prototype right? Prototypes are built for testing Right?

p2prada

There is nothing embarrassing about this.

Sensationalist media.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
this is not final engine, so why make such fuss about it in first place.............. Plane is not damage it is still under development and these things happen.

plugwater

Still got to give it to the russians, Pakfa pulled 5Gs after 1.5 yrs of its first flight. I think no country has done it.

Reactions: nrj

Illusive

Country flag
I think its just 1 incident, right? embarrassing????? its a prototype...........i heard somewhere in west F-35's were grounded.

black eagle

Country flag
I don't know why it should be embarrassing. This is quite common occurrence in military aviation & keep in mind this is just a prototype. The F-22 crashed in its development phase. Compared to that a flame-out is nothing.

plugwater

I think its just 1 incident, right? embarrassing????? its a prototype...........i heard somewhere in west F-35's were grounded.
Its f-22 mate and they have been in the ground for months.

bhramos

Country flag
f-22 raptor crash landing

even F-22 crashed while testing and after testing, but the PAKFA its just a snag...

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

Thank GOD it was not the Tejas right? We would all know what will happen if it was the Tejas! :whistle:
There is a huge difference between how much I know and what you know.

Even if LCA had done it in it's first flight using the Kaveri engine, this would have been nothing.
It's like a kick back when you use the kick start on motorbikes. Very normal.

Sh!t happens, so grow up.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The flameout means nothing to the T50 itself, but it certainly ruined the advertisement.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles