More MAKS photos:

101-KS Full Sphere optical system:

OLS-50M:

And N-036 AESA side-looking antennas:

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I do not understand enough of aircraft technology to go into a debate...

Simply using logic, India took the Su-30 and made it into the much better Su-30MKI, which Russia is now inducting as the Su-30SM.

Similarly, you cannot discount the same possibility being applied to PAK FA evolving into PMF/FGFA at the hand of the Indians. Maybe we will take the non-stealthy tail section and make it more stealthy. Who knows?

@p2prada

This is impossible in 2 reasons:

1 - 95% of surface will include radar dome and heat-resistant engine covers :p
2 - If you'll substitute more working parts (T-50 has working, stressfully loaded skin covering) with composites, you'll face with strength weaknesses and structural problems which will force you to shrink FGFA flight envelope comparable to original design, as for speeds limit, as for maneurability as well (especially supersonic maneurability will suffer). Are you ready to accept such a drawback just for "more Indian parts" only? I think, HAL director is not.
So, we can say that this is journalamers fairytails (which is enough in Russia as well).

How did you said? Let we be realistic, should we? :p

Tejas is much simplier, non-supermaneurable and non-supercruisable light fighter without any outstanding requirements, unlike the T-50. Technologies HAL developed for LCA are to weak to be incorporated into FGFA (remember what I've said abour aramides which are absent in HAL technology pocket). Even if they will be greatly improved, there is a great technical risc using them and will require LOTS of additional computations and flight tests.
This is non-needed time and money loss in my point of view, because it can give nothing to T-50 comparable to expences.

And what about LCA... It still has sructural problems and flight envelope limitations due to materials and force structure decisions used, so...
However, there are rumors about a broad technologies transfer to HAL including aramide materials. Tejas will be strong and robust with them as T-50.

Agreed. I even can name the things India will additionally pay for (most part, this is not the secret, just logics):

1 - 2-seater canopy for the part of aircraft (lots of calculations, tests and so on)
2 - Additional software meeting Indian unique requirements
3 - Indigenous weapons integration (LOTS of tests, can cause even your missiles and bombs complete rework to make them possible to be fired supersonic without parasite booms).
4 - Foreign parts integration.
5 - Access to scientific researches results and part of the software sources.

Speaking generally, Indias role in FGFA project is similar to those for GB in F-35 - wide access, but crucial parts Americans left for themselves, which is quite normal.

Thanks for the info! It's interesting.

India doesn't have (apparently for now) any viable BMD systems comparable to S-300/400 (don't even speak about A-135), as we know here in former USSR. There were some info about tests, but nothing viable were built.

And BTW, what you need most in those area, are the global MAWS radars like Voronezh. Because if you cannot forseen your foes first strike, all your nuclear power is a lemon. Nobody will fear your strike, if they know that you are a blind dragon :p

As for Russians... S-400 has AESA detection and targeting radars, as well al Poliment/Redut Navy SAM variant.
A new Trikand frigats will receive it to (if the proper contract extension will be signed), don't you know?

Americans are almost to test their "Active AEGIS" variant but suffer electrical power lack problems to feed it with Arleigh Burke class engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

PERSONAL T/R COUNT

~320

plz count it yourselves

if i am wrong then i need to go & check my eyes urgently:D

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
Behold... (watch till end)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSONAL T/R COUNT

~320

plz count it yourselves

if i am wrong then i need to go & check my eyes urgently:D
371. :)

gadeshi

@ Drsomnath999
380 :p

@arnabmit
I do not understand enough of aircraft technology to go into a debate...

Simply using logic, India took the Su-30 and made it into the much better Su-30MKI, which Russia is now inducting as the Su-30SM.

Similarly, you cannot discount the same possibility being applied to PAK FA evolving into PMF/FGFA at the hand of the Indians. Maybe we will take the non-stealthy tail section and make it more stealthy. Who knows?
Wrong.
India has paid to Sukhoi to integrate all those french nad Israeli goodies into Su-30K getting much better MKI :p
India has paid to NIIP to overhaul Bars radar and integrate foreign parts into it.

HAL is producing MKIs without design authorization and competences using Irkut and Sukhoi provided documentation and technology.

Su-30SM encorporates Russian-only technologies except for French HUD and navigation system components (but not all the system). SM carries Al-31F-M2 engines (14000 kgs) with a new digital control system and the latest variant of Bars radar (Bars-R) with Irbis technology integration and a lighter weight, new superscalar mission computers (MTsAST Baget), new control system and so on. It is closer to Su-35 than original Su-30 or MKI.

If India were capable of making MKI from FK itself, it should never order much easier BRAHMOS integration to Sukhoi, isn't it?
And Tejas should be on production line for years and produced in hundreds if so... But Tejas is very promising (unlike the junk JF-17), but still very cripple aircraft.

PS: No offence guys, I love India, we've been in Southern Goa (Benaulim) with my wife and even have conceived our first child there, leaving the best memories about.

However, reality is beyound our personal meanings and emotions, and the country ambitions as well.

p2prada

This is impossible in 2 reasons:

1 - 95% of surface will include radar dome and heat-resistant engine covers :p
On LCA, the slats and engine cover are made of aluminium. The rest, including the radar dome are composites. Carbon composites, glass composites and kevlar composites have been used.

2 - If you'll substitute more working parts (T-50 has working, stressfully loaded skin covering) with composites, you'll face with strength weaknesses and structural problems which will force you to shrink FGFA flight envelope comparable to original design, as for speeds limit, as for maneurability as well (especially supersonic maneurability will suffer). Are you ready to accept such a drawback just for "more Indian parts" only? I think, HAL director is not.
So, we can say that this is journalamers fairytails (which is enough in Russia as well).
The article is from The Hindu. It is one of the most reliable papers in India, especially for politics and defence news. So this info has a high chance of being reliable.

Nevertheless we will know in time.

How did you said? Let we be realistic, should we? :p

Tejas is much simplier, non-supermaneurable and non-supercruisable light fighter without any outstanding requirements, unlike the T-50. Technologies HAL developed for LCA are to weak to be incorporated into FGFA (remember what I've said abour aramides which are absent in HAL technology pocket). Even if they will be greatly improved, there is a great technical risc using them and will require LOTS of additional computations and flight tests.
This is non-needed time and money loss in my point of view, because it can give nothing to T-50 comparable to expences.
At the same time, LCA's composites were designed in the 70s and implemented in the 80s. In comparison FGFA can use much more capable composites. Except for slats, all other effectors on LCA are composites. But I think this can only be answered in time.

[And what about LCA... It still has sructural problems and flight envelope limitations due to materials and force structure decisions used, so...However, there are rumors about a broad technologies transfer to HAL including aramide materials. Tejas will be strong and robust with them as T-50.
LCA does not have structural issues. It has design issues. More like they took so long designing and developing it that it has become obsolete. On a normal day, had they inducted LCA back in 1999 as planned, LCA would have undergone two or three design changes by now, like Gripen A, Gripen C and Gripen NG, in order to keep up with new technologies. Now the issue is DRDO has to deliver something like Gripen NG on a Gripen C platform.

Anyway, I don't know what tech was transferred to HAL, but LCA will use NAL composites, it is a different company.

1 - 2-seater canopy for the part of aircraft (lots of calculations, tests and so on)
2 - Additional software meeting Indian unique requirements
3 - Indigenous weapons integration (LOTS of tests, can cause even your missiles and bombs complete rework to make them possible to be fired supersonic without parasite booms).
4 - Foreign parts integration.
5 - Access to scientific researches results and part of the software sources.
If I have to take a guess, only flight control and engine softwares will be Russian. It is possible even the radar software will be developed in India even though the hardware will come from Russia. Obviously, we have had some successes in EW which means we will use our ECM tech.

Speaking generally, Indias role in FGFA project is similar to those for GB in F-35 - wide access, but crucial parts Americans left for themselves, which is quite normal.
More or less. 25% work on FGFA is a lot. Overall, development of FGFA hardware is still Russia's. So engine, flight controls, and airframe design will be Russian, with some Indian inputs based on our geographical conditions, like location of fuel pipes for high altitude Take off/landing operations etc.

The two seater development may be taken up at a later date I suppose.

India doesn't have (apparently for now) any viable BMD systems comparable to S-300/400 (don't even speak about A-135), as we know here in former USSR. There were some info about tests, but nothing viable were built.
According to our scientists, our current BMD exceeds S-300. That's the reason why Indian Air force did not place orders for S-300. From what the Russians have released about S-500, even our phase 2 program is a match for it. We don't yet have A-135 equivalent only because 53T6 has a nuclear warhead. Missile capabilities should be similar to what we are developing.

As for Russians... S-400 has AESA detection and targeting radars, as well al Poliment/Redut Navy SAM variant.
A new Trikand frigats will receive it to (if the proper contract extension will be signed), don't you know?
The Grave Stone is supposed to be PESA. Poliment is AESA, but it is not even fully tested. Needs to be fitted on a ship.

In comparison, our BMD is being deployed. Anyway the point I was making is with the right decisions, right partners and projects we are finding successes only more advanced countries can. Can you imagine our only previous success in SAMs was a SA-6 level Akash and now we are designing S-300 and S-500 equivalent systems?

Delhi, Mumbai selected for ballistic missile defence shield - Times Of India
The strategic planning has already begun to install the BMD system in the two cities and the final proposal will be put before the government after detailed analysis of the entire project, sources have told PTI.
You are comparing development trials and tests to a nearly operational system. :)

gadeshi

The Grave Stone is supposed to be PESA. Poliment is AESA, but it is not even fully tested. Needs to be fitted on a ship.
Supposed, but is not :p
Grave Stone and Poliment/Redut are the same designs for AD and Navy respectively. Poliment is fitted to Project 20385 frigates and will be for 20380 Trikand frigates if the furter contracts will be signed. The first 20385 is on final stage of construction and Poliment/Redut for it is on the certification tests. The first testing race is planned for summer 2014.

Can you imagine our only previous success in SAMs was a SA-6 level Akash and now we are designing S-300 and S-500 equivalent systems?
It is very interesting and exciting as well. However, we will see if it is as capable as S-300PMU-2 (S-400 is much better) when India will go into real testing (mass-attack simulation with real multi-channel fire). If it can intercept one or two Pakistani missiles (like Patriot PAC3) only, it is not the match toS-300PMU-2 at all.

p2prada

Supposed, but is not :p
Grave Stone and Poliment/Redut are the same designs for AD and Navy respectively. Poliment is fitted to Project 20385 frigates and will be for 20380 Trikand frigates if the furter contracts will be signed. The first 20385 is on final stage of construction and Poliment/Redut for it is on the certification tests. The first testing race is planned for summer 2014.
I don't believe that is correct.

Grave Stone is PESA. It is the FCR for the S-400 system.

Only one of the six acquisition radars is AESA and it's not in the same class as Swordfish does.

1L119 VHF is AESA.

59N6 Protivnik L band has been upgraded to AESA, but it may not be operational yet. Anyway it is not part of the original system since the AESA upgrade is for a smaller array and only for the mobile version.

Trikand frigates
I think you are referring to the new corvettes, not frigates.

Russia has Project 22350 for frigates.

It is very interesting and exciting as well. However, we will see if it is as capable as S-300PMU-2 (S-400 is much better) when India will go into real testing (mass-attack simulation with real multi-channel fire). If it can intercept one or two Pakistani missiles (like Patriot PAC3) only, it is not the match toS-300PMU-2 at all.
I think the user will have to simulate such tests once the system is deployed.

Anyway, the real big difference between a S-300PMU-2 and S-400 is the 40N6. In order to reach that goal DRDO is developing a new missile for Phase 1 of the program called PDV, which is more or less in the same class as 40N6.

Equivalent Indian SAMs in our program in comparison to Russian S-400 SAMs -

9M96E2 = AAD (150 Km range, 30 Km altitude)
48N6E3 = PAD (200-250 Km range, 80 Km altitude)

Note that both AAD and PAD are actually more capable than the 9M46E2 and 48N6E3. This gives us a capability that exceeds S-300PMU-2.

With the PDV, it will become more or less equivalent to the S-400 system and significantly superior to the S-300PMU-2. The missile will have a range of 300-400Km and altitude of 150 Km. I suppose, it is slightly less capable than 40N6.

gadeshi

96N2 and 96L6 all-altitude aquisition radars (squadron/division level) are aesa.
Всевысотный обнаружитель (ВВО) 96Л6Е | Ракетная техника
http://rbase.new-factoria.ru/sites/default/files/missile/s400/92n2e.jpg

Only 91N6E battery-level FCR is an upgraded PESA, as it plays secondary role in the process.
http://rbase.new-factoria.ru/sites/default/files/missile/s400/91n6e.jpg

Nebo-SVU and Protivnik-NE 3-m wave length aquisition radars are not the part od S-400 itself, but are parts of RTV PVO (Radio-Technical Forces of AD) units on regiment or divizia (not sqadron/division) level. However they are a part of joint data-linked network-centric AD in the defending region.

I think you are referring to the new corvettes, not frigates.

Russia has Project 22350 for frigates.
My fault :p
Of course 22350

However, new 20385 corvettes will have Rif-M (Poliment/Redut) isntead of Shtil-1 / M-92 Uragan on 20380 and first 2 20385 ones as a part of wide inter-force weapons unification (Redut for corvettes unified with Vityaz by radar, FCS and missiles). 22350 will have full spectrum of missiles from S-400 including 40N6.

The first 22350 (Admiral Gorshkov) is about to leave to test race:
"Северная верфь" начала швартовные испытания фрегата пр.22350 - ВОЙНА и МИР

Equivalent Indian SAMs in our program in comparison to Russian S-400 SAMs -

9M96E2 = AAD (150 Km range, 30 Km altitude)
48N6E3 = PAD (200-250 Km range, 80 Km altitude)

Note that both AAD and PAD are actually more capable than the 9M46E2 and 48N6E3. This gives us a capability that exceeds S-300PMU-2.
More capable in what? :p
Range is good but not enough to be efficient. When it will prove 90% Kill Probability seeking 1-2 dosens of targets simultaneusly like S-300PMU-2 (mass attack defend), then we will talk about capabilities. Hitting 1 test target without any counermeasures is not a big deal even on the slightly greater range.

BTW, do not forget the main Vietnam War lesson (which only Russians, Vietnamese and Chinese have learned well) - If you've get caught - You are dead as corpse.
So, static AD/ABM site is nothing in real combat (like Partiots as well) because they cannot flee from the site after launch to quickly change the position and be ready to fire again.
S-300/400 are full-mobile complexes which can pack-out, acquire, launch, pack-in and flee within 30 minutes. Actually they can just stop on marche, unpack, launch and go forward. The tactics of Russian SAMs after Vietnam is constant movement patrolling their defending region while Nebo, Protivnik, 96N6 and 1/4 of fiering TELs in the batteries watch the skies. The main detection role in those tactics is given to passive RTV PVO detection units like Kolchuga and Avtobaza - perfect anti-Stealth devices.

So, we will talk about effective SAM/ABM defence when we will see mass-attack defence tests successful.

I very hope India will get the strongest AD/ABM shield in the region, but the way to it is still very long.

Last edited:

p2prada

96N2 and 96L6 all-altitude aquisition radars (squadron/division level) are aesa.
I don't think there is a radar called 96N2, there is 92N6 and it is Grave Stone which is PESA.

96L6 is also PESA.

Of course, I am not saying the radars cannot be upgraded, but AESA is still not an operational system in the Russian BMD setup. Or at least I have not seen such systems being deployed.

RLM-M, RLM-D and RLM-S are AESAs, but these are not directly related to S-400.

However, new 20385 corvettes will have Rif-M (Poliment/Redut) isntead of Shtil-1 / M-92 Uragan on 20380 and first 2 20385 ones as a part of wide inter-force weapons unification (Redut for corvettes unified with Vityaz by radar, FCS and missiles). 22350 will have full spectrum of missiles from S-400 including 40N6.
So air defence role will move from destroyers and cruisers only to frigates too.

Are you sure 48N6 and 40N6 will be deployed on frigates?

More capable in what? :p
Range is good but not enough to be efficient. When it will prove 90% Kill Probability seeking 1-2 dosens of targets simultaneusly like S-300PMU-2 (mass attack defend), then we will talk about capabilities. Hitting 1 test target without any counermeasures is not a big deal even on the slightly greater range.
The idea was for DRDO to stop IAF from buying S-300PMU-2/3/Favorite etc by developing a superior system. If the IAF accepts it and the system is already being deployed, then it should have demonstrated even ripple fire capability.

Overall the acquisition radar was derived from Israeli Greenpine and the tracking X band radar is most probably derived from a French AESA radar. So both radars are very reliable.

BTW, do not forget the main Vietnam War lesson (which only Russians, Vietnamese and Chinese have learned well) - If you've get caught - You are dead as corpse.
So, static AD/ABM site is nothing in real combat (like Partiots as well) because they cannot flee from the site after launch to quickly change the position and be ready to fire again.
Yeah, all terminal BMD systems are mobile, even ours.

I very hope India will get the strongest AD/ABM shield in the region, but the way to it is still very long.
Should take anywhere between 10 and 15 years for a full fledged IADS to be setup. As of today only two cities will be covered out of dozens of cities, let alone hundreds of military installations.

gadeshi

I don't think there is a radar called 96N2, there is 92N6 and it is Grave Stone which is PESA. 96L6 is also PESA.
Oh, I can make a typos writing at night, but as for 92N6 and 96L6 are PESAs... Could you name your sources (not Wikipedia, please).

So air defence role will move from destroyers and cruisers only to frigates too. Are you sure 48N6 and 40N6 will be deployed on frigates?
Yes. Officially proven. 32 40N6 missiles (8x4 vertical launchers) or 128 9М96/9M100 medium range missiles or their combination.

The idea was for DRDO to stop IAF from buying S-300PMU-2/3/Favorite etc by developing a superior system. If the IAF accepts it and the system is already being deployed, then it should have demonstrated even ripple fire capability.
Yeah, definetly should, but steel haven't shown anything but the single test target hit. BTW, what missile was a target?

Overall the acquisition radar was derived from Israeli Greenpine and the tracking X band radar is most probably derived from a French AESA radar. So both radars are very reliable.
Neither French, nore Israeli radars are combat or even serious (mass-attack defence, autonomous use and long-range marches in harsh environments) tests proven. So, they cannot be a paragons of reliability or effectiveness.

Yeah, all terminal BMD systems are mobile, even ours.
No, my friend! 30-60 minutes only to pack OR unpack and additional 15 minutes to fire is not a mobility.
5-15 mins to unpack, 1-5 to fire and 5-15 to get the ---- out of the return enemy fire is :p
And not only a launchers, but radars, support vehicles and Gazetchik ECM/Self Defence suites as well.

Noone but S-300/400/Buk can do it. And short-range systems of course.
According to Indian ABM photos, they cannot comply 20-30 minutes limit on full move-fire-move cycle. They are not even designed to be a mobile, just movable which is not the same.

Should take anywhere between 10 and 15 years for a full fledged IADS to be setup. As of today only two cities will be covered out of dozens of cities, let alone hundreds of military installations.
Very good. But the biggest thing to do is global MAWs (Voronezh-like radars: РАДИОЛОКАЦИОННЫЕ СТАНЦИИ ДАЛЬНЕГО ОБНАРУЖЕНИЯ "ВОРОНЕЖ-М", "ВОРОНЕЖ-ДМ" И "ВИТИМ". RADAR STATIONS OF THE FAR DETECTION VORONEZH-M", "VORONEZH-DM" AND "VITIM"), passive surviallance systems (like Kolchuga) and network-centric AD environment.

Austin

92N6 and 96L6 and even the newer radar for Vityaz are not AESA but so called Hybrid PESA ... from what I understand their receive element is AESA and transmit is PESA.

PESA and subsequent variant are quite mature in Russian Defence Industry and its cost effective to procure too....compared to moving to all AESA ...only the S-500 has all new AESA system

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
On LCA, the slats and engine cover are made of aluminium. The rest, including the radar dome are composites. Carbon composites, glass composites and kevlar composites have been used.

The article is from The Hindu. It is one of the most reliable papers in India, especially for politics and defence news. So this info has a high chance of being reliable.

Nevertheless we will know in time.

At the same time, LCA's composites were designed in the 70s and implemented in the 80s. In comparison FGFA can use much more capable composites. Except for slats, all other effectors on LCA are composites. But I think this can only be answered in time.

LCA does not have structural issues. It has design issues. More like they took so long designing and developing it that it has become obsolete. On a normal day, had they inducted LCA back in 1999 as planned, LCA would have undergone two or three design changes by now, like Gripen A, Gripen C and Gripen NG, in order to keep up with new technologies. Now the issue is DRDO has to deliver something like Gripen NG on a Gripen C platform.

Anyway, I don't know what tech was transferred to HAL, but LCA will use NAL composites, it is a different company.

If I have to take a guess, only flight control and engine softwares will be Russian. It is possible even the radar software will be developed in India even though the hardware will come from Russia. Obviously, we have had some successes in EW which means we will use our ECM tech.

More or less. 25% work on FGFA is a lot. Overall, development of FGFA hardware is still Russia's. So engine, flight controls, and airframe design will be Russian, with some Indian inputs based on our geographical conditions, like location of fuel pipes for high altitude Take off/landing operations etc.

The two seater development may be taken up at a later date I suppose.

According to our scientists, our current BMD exceeds S-300. That's the reason why Indian Air force did not place orders for S-300. From what the Russians have released about S-500, even our phase 2 program is a match for it. We don't yet have A-135 equivalent only because 53T6 has a nuclear warhead. Missile capabilities should be similar to what we are developing.

In comparison, our BMD is being deployed. Anyway the point I was making is with the right decisions, right partners and projects we are finding successes only more advanced countries can. Can you imagine our only previous success in SAMs was a SA-6 level Akash and now we are designing S-300 and S-500 equivalent systems?

Delhi, Mumbai selected for ballistic missile defence shield - Times Of India

You are comparing development trials and tests to a nearly operational system. :)
If Akash is at SA-6 level only why is IAF and IA heaping more and more orders for it. Out of charity towards DRDO perhaps?

Even without partners Astra is ready for captive trials.

Even in the LRSAM co development with Israel DRDO is developing the rocket motor for the missile a not so insignificant effort.

Even without any partners we can develop missiles from prithvi , Agni to k-15. Remember.

Last edited:

Articles