Sukhoi PAK FA

dealwithit

@gadeshi

India or DRDO is investing 1000 crore on Nano Technology development.. By the time of manufacture of PAF FA or FGFA... there may be some developments in this sector..
India cannot degrade what Russians are made .. But they can upgrade right? by integrating something good. from Israel or from country

Composite industry is growing day by day.. Inclusion of Graphine makes material 500% stronger... Maybe India doesn't have industry in the region but it can buy..

3 prototypes of PAK Fa are sending to INDIA after 2015 ..
PAK FA enters service with russia in 2015
but in INDIA it enters after 2020... Lot can happen in 5 years

Last edited by a moderator:

gadeshi

@dealwithit

India cannot degrade what Russians are made .. But they can upgrade right? by integrating something good. from Israel or from country

Composite industry is growing day by day.. Inclusion of Graphine makes material 500% stronger... Maybe India doesn't have industry in the region but it can buy..
India CANNOT upgrade anything in aircraft body, engines or aerodynamics - Your design and scientific level is 25-30 years insufficient compared to Russian or American. You should learn so much, path so long way of studies, tries and mistakes, grow up thousands of high-qualified specs... You need 20 years to learn to understand all the principals on which PAK FA is built on. Only then you will be able to upgrade it.

And yes, you can (and will) add some Indian and Israeli hardware to Russian-made plane, just what you've done with MKIs.
But no composite working parts, new engines or so on. It is impossible for your country for many years to come.

And, BTW, graphite materials are not acceptable alone in aircraft construction, but aramide and aramide/carbon are.

3 prototypes of PAK Fa are sending to INDIA after 2015 ..
PAK FA enters service with russia in 2015
but in INDIA it enters after 2020... Lot can happen in 5 years
In 2015 Russians will have only PAK FA Stage 1 LRIP, nothing more.
Full-featured Stage 2 has planned to 2018-2020 as well.

So, India will have Stage 2 after Russians will start Stage2 LRIP.
You will just have no places and parts to upgrade :p Except for some Israeli parts and mission computers/displays.

dealwithit

@dealwithit

India CANNOT upgrade anything in aircraft body, engines or aerodynamics - Your design and scientific level is 25-30 years insufficient compared to Russian or American. You should learn so much, path so long way of studies, tries and mistakes, grow up thousands of high-qualified specs... You need 20 years to learn to understand all the principals on which PAK FA is built on. Only then you will be able to upgrade it.

And yes, you can (and will) add some Indian and Israeli hardware to Russian-made plane, just what you've done with MKIs.
But no composite working parts, new engines or so on. It is impossible for your country for many years to come.

And, BTW, graphite materials are not acceptable alone in aircraft construction, but aramide and aramide/carbon are.
what you told may be true... Let the time decide..what indian brains thinking ,, doing some R&D will surely help them....to learn something

gadeshi

@dealwithit
what you told may be true... Let the time decide..what indian brains thinking ,, doing some R&D will surely help them....to learn something
Of course your engineers will learn from PAK FA project, they will be fools if they won't.
And Russians embrace the fact that India seeks a partnership and JV to honestly learn. not steal like Chinese.

However, I've criticized the article you have posted, not a JV.

gadeshi

More PAK FA from MAKS-2013:

Side looking aperture:

KAB-250 guided bomb:

And the bird itself:

p2prada

@dealwithit
PAK FA is FULL METAL?????? WTF???
Let's be realistic, shall we?

Do you know how much composites PAKFA has? No.
Does a HAL director involved in the PAKFA project know? Yes.

1 - Where Indians will get more powerful engines (Indians cannot design and produce them - cripple Kaveri is not the point and different class)?

2 - Even If they'll get ones (from US?), how will they want to fit them to T-50 airframe and systems (especially when they have no knowledge and experience for that)?
117 and Izdeliye 30, whenever ready. He didn't say FGFA will get more powerful engines. He said FGFA will use lighter materials and hence will have a greater T/W ratio compared to PAKFA.

3 - Indian have no experience, knowledge and technologies to produce incorporatable RAMs (WTF is less observable???).
He never spoke about RAM, but composites. RCS will further depend on the materials used.

If there is a chance we use dielectric materials compared to metal on PAKFA, then that's a plus point for FGFA even if it makes it more expensive. It is just speculation.

4 - Indians doesn't participate or of course "co-design" anything in PAK FA because they have no knowledge, experiance and competence for this.
Depends. We are yet to see what we are going to contribute. But if you are referring only to the engine program, then we don't have to.

All the Indians will "customize" in PAK FA are mission computers and cockpit displays. Also Israeli navigation and ECM suits are possible, nothing more.
It was made clear we will be using our own materials when we build FGFA, apart from the one you mentioned. Mission computers, sensor fusion and software are big projects by themselves.

Anyway we are progressing from Israeli JVs to our own ECM projects. I mean, from what I know only LCA venture is being done with Israeli help. MKI and Jaguar will have all Indian AESA ECM suites.

gadeshi

@p2prada

I respect you really for your keen interest and reasonable judgements.
However the argue of "Russians vs Indians" have no sense.
It just because between Sukhoi / TSAGI and HAL / DRDO scientific schools is 40 years of experience.
It's not good or bad, it's just is.

Indians want to learn and shorten the gap - and they are welcome since they are honest partners and are an allies of Russia in the region.
But HAL director says about Indian great contribution to the project. It will not be so great as to MKI, because Russia now has enough money to build anything but Indian engineers have nothing to contribute to the technical part of the project.

However, India can give a great help in production process, since HAL have enough level to produce complicated parts in significant numbers.

Do you know how much composites PAKFA has? No.
Does a HAL director involved in the PAKFA project know? Yes.
1 - Yes, 30% of full empty weight and 70% of surface according to official sources (Stage 1) and will be encreased to 45/75 according to the same sources.
2 - Not exactly :p Indian engineers have an observers status in the project and will have more powers only on final stage, when they will incorporate non-crucial custom hardware (just like MKI). None of them participate in crucial parts development, just can order some info for their consideration and requirements gathering.

117 and Izdeliye 30, whenever ready. He didn't say FGFA will get more powerful engines. He said FGFA will use lighter materials and hence will have a greater T/W ratio compared to PAKFA.
Comparable to WHAT PAK FA? :p To Stage 1 - may be, to Stage 2 - doughtly.

BTW, think about the price (technical, not money) of substitution of more critical parts with composite one on the top of the original Stage 2 body. Will it can withstand the same speeds and G-force like the original Stage 2? Devil is in those small things.

AFAIK, Indian composites industry can produce carbon-only materials which are insufficient for such a heavy and hard-working fighters like PAK FA. So, "lighter materials" will be possible only if Sukhoi and OAK will transfer aramide-aramide and carbon-aramide technologies to HAL. Aramides (like Kevlar) are very tricky materials with outstanding stretch and hit resistance, which is absent in carbon materials. But aramides have very short life (Kevlar lives 10 years only) due to molecular links degradation. Russians have a technology to produce aramides much cheaper than Kevlar and with 40 years of lifetime.

If there is a chance we use dielectric materials compared to metal on PAKFA, then that's a plus point for FGFA even if it makes it more expensive. It is just speculation.
Agreed. But Sukhoi will use them for sure first. We have just seen only a prototypes, not a real production planes.

BTW, if you think that yellow parts on unpainted machines are metal and grey are comoposites - you are wrong :) KNAZ (KNAAPO) guys and Pogosian as well say that color is not the reference here. Some parts are grey not because they are composite ones, but because their surface is covered with special compounds (not RAMs) needed just here or there, as well as yellow ones.
Some people even say that this is done to fool Chinese copycats trying to know the materials (and loads) distribution on the body.

Mission computers, sensor fusion and software are big projects by themselves.
Yes, but not all the software. Control system and radar detecting and ECM selection algorythms will remain closed and Indians will get it in a "black box".

MKI and Jaguar will have all Indian AESA ECM suites.
Could you be more specific on this? I first hear that India has AESA technologies suite.

Austin

This Indian FGFA versus PAK-FA being superior or inferior is meaningless and endless debate in the dark, since superior or inferior is a very relative aspect and real performance figures will hardly if ever will be shared by IAF or RuAF or MOD of both countries.

What matters is IAF gets FGFA custom designed to its need and something HAL-Sukhoi need to come up to , similarly PAK-FA performance parameter comes up to RuAF needs and that is what Sukhoi will have to come up to.

Considering the extraordinary length that IAF goes to hide the true capabilities of MKI in exercise with other countries and even in those limited capabilities the MKI turns out to be a better fighter should give an indication to any one what is that IAF will show and what it wont , Brochures and forum debate apart.

gadeshi

This Indian FGFA versus PAK-FA being superior or inferior is meaningless and endless debate in the dark, since superior or inferior is a very relative aspect and real performance figures will hardly if ever will be shared by IAF or RuAF or MOD of both countries.

What matters is IAF gets FGFA custom designed to its need and something HAL-Sukhoi need to come up to , similarly PAK-FA performance parameter comes up to RuAF needs and that is what Sukhoi will have to come up to.

Considering the extraordinary length that IAF goes to hide the true capabilities of MKI in exercise with other countries and even in those limited capabilities the MKI turns out to be a better fighter should give an indication to any one what is that IAF will show and what it wont , Brochures and forum debate apart.
True. And wise.

Austin

I always realised they make it a point to block the intake or the pictures are brushed , may be something at the intake where they dont like to show ATM.

but from what I know PAK-FA intake will have partial S shape plus blocker approach.

p2prada

I respect you really for your keen interest and reasonable judgements.
However the argue of "Russians vs Indians" have no sense.
It just because between Sukhoi / TSAGI and HAL / DRDO scientific schools is 40 years of experience.
It's not good or bad, it's just is.
I am not getting into a debate between which is the better of the two. I am merely defending the HAL's director's remarks which you are dismissing as a report for domestic consumption.

but Indian engineers have nothing to contribute to the technical part of the project.
We really can't say for sure. That's where the problem lies. I suppose we will know more in the coming few months, when the R&D contract is signed.

1 - Yes, 30% of full empty weight and 70% of surface according to official sources (Stage 1) and will be encreased to 45/75 according to the same sources.
Okay, this is speculation, but IAF may be asking for 95%+ of surface area, like the LCA program.

2 - Not exactly :p Indian engineers have an observers status in the project and will have more powers only on final stage, when they will incorporate non-crucial custom hardware (just like MKI). None of them participate in crucial parts development, just can order some info for their consideration and requirements gathering.
I am not so sure since there have been exchange of scientists and technicians between the two countries since the deal was signed in 2010. They are also working on linking HAL and Sukhoi bureaus into a single entity for the project.

According to our sources we will be developing most of the software for the FGFA. Meaning there will be the Russian made software for PAKFA and the Indo-Russian joint owned but Indian developed software. Not possible without being closely involved in the program.

We know for sure that the cockpit design is ours. HAL delivered the designs to SDB.

Comparable to WHAT PAK FA? :p To Stage 1 - may be, to Stage 2 - doughtly.
Maybe both. First prototype of FGFA is sure to have 117. Final prototype may end up with Type 30. If both are made lighter, then both will have more thrust/weight than PAKFA. Overall, the director was obviously talking about the final version and not prototypes.

BTW, think about the price (technical, not money) of substitution of more critical parts with composite one on the top of the original Stage 2 body. Will it can withstand the same speeds and G-force like the original Stage 2? Devil is in those small things.
I agree. The rudder for the NAL Saras was supposed to be all composite. The rudder couldn't be built to specification, it supposedly kept getting stuck. So they had to change it to all metal rudder.

But if the plan is to replace metal parts with composites, let's simply not dismiss it like you are trying to do. Whether it finally works or not we will know only after a few years. Like I said, LCA is mostly composites all over and is a 1980s requirement, something much for FGFA may be required.

AFAIK, Indian composites industry can produce carbon-only materials which are insufficient for such a heavy and hard-working fighters like PAK FA. So, "lighter materials" will be possible only if Sukhoi and OAK will transfer aramide-aramide and carbon-aramide technologies to HAL. Aramides (like Kevlar) are very tricky materials with outstanding stretch and hit resistance, which is absent in carbon materials. But aramides have very short life (Kevlar lives 10 years only) due to molecular links degradation. Russians have a technology to produce aramides much cheaper than Kevlar and with 40 years of lifetime.
This is just speculation.

Agreed. But Sukhoi will use them for sure first. We have just seen only a prototypes, not a real production planes
What I am saying is that this is all done based on requirements. And requirements are constructed based on affordability and tech limitations. According to the earliest reports, when reports of the FGFA came out, which is supposed to have 43 requirements, Sukhoi stated that IAF requirements are higher than VVS's requirements. Now we don't know whether this is in reference to the entire gamut of capabilities of the aircraft or just in reference to electronics which is the core sticking point today which is leading to price rise. Meaning what Sukhoi said was if IAF wants extra toys that VVS has not asked for, IAF will have to pay for it.

All I am saying is don't dismiss anything unless we are sure.

My point is not whether FGFA is superior or PAKFA is superior. All I am saying is both can be made to be superior to the other and it all depends on requirements. If VVS does not want a more advanced aircraft, then it is obvious FGFA will be better. I hope you get my point. Meaning Su-35 is a very advanced aircraft. But IAF MKI will have AESA and other FGFA related technologies. So even if VVS has Su-35, IAF MKI will be a more advanced aircraft in terms of electronics with the AESA radar and AESA based ECM. So you can expect something similar for FGFA.

Yes, but not all the software. Control system and radar detecting and ECM selection algorythms will remain closed and Indians will get it in a "black box".
That's not what is officially known here. It seems there will be a joint ownership and full sharing of the source codes for all aspects of the program. It was made clear two years ago that India and Russia will have 50% IPR each for all foreground technologies while all background IPR will remain with the respective countries. Meaning if you designed and built the radar, you keep all the IPR to your facilities where you designed it, but we both share all the technologies directly related to the radar, including the source codes. Similarly, if we designed the mission computers, we retain ownership of our design and facilities while we give you the source codes and manufacturing information for it.

Could you be more specific on this? I first hear that India has AESA technologies suite.
There are three programs for AESA based suites apart from two other successful ones which are already operational in some capacities. Both Mig-27 and Mig-29UPG have AESA based EW suites which were developed with help from Elisra, Israeli company. I think it was derived from the LCA program.

Then there is a first stage program and then a second stage program for indigenous capability. First stage is happening as we speak, it will be ECM internal suites for both Jaguar (depends) and MKI based on GaAs modules followed by a phase 2 with GaN modules.

MKI's ECM suite seems to be for the Super MKI upgrade. It is being developed/manufactured under a project called Eagle Eye. There is something similar for Jaguar too, but I think it depends on the re-engine program.

While we have seen failures or delays in some larger programs like LCA, there have been tremendous successes in the areas of EW and radars in India. As in our entire BMD systems is based on AESA radars, there is no equivalent in the world. Meaning even Russia and US depend on PESA systems compared to ours, even if we had foreign help in developing it, Israel for Greenpine/Swordfsh and France for FCR.

gadeshi

@p2prada

Okay, this is speculation, but IAF may be asking for 95%+ of surface area, like the LCA program.
This is impossible in 2 reasons:

1 - 95% of surface will include radar dome and heat-resistant engine covers :p
2 - If you'll substitute more working parts (T-50 has working, stressfully loaded skin covering) with composites, you'll face with strength weaknesses and structural problems which will force you to shrink FGFA flight envelope comparable to original design, as for speeds limit, as for maneurability as well (especially supersonic maneurability will suffer). Are you ready to accept such a drawback just for "more Indian parts" only? I think, HAL director is not.
So, we can say that this is journalamers fairytails (which is enough in Russia as well).

I agree. The rudder for the NAL Saras was supposed to be all composite. The rudder couldn't be built to specification, it supposedly kept getting stuck. So they had to change it to all metal rudder.

But if the plan is to replace metal parts with composites, let's simply not dismiss it like you are trying to do. Whether it finally works or not we will know only after a few years. Like I said, LCA is mostly composites all over and is a 1980s requirement, something much for FGFA may be required.
How did you said? Let we be realistic, should we? :p

Tejas is much simplier, non-supermaneurable and non-supercruisable light fighter without any outstanding requirements, unlike the T-50. Technologies HAL developed for LCA are to weak to be incorporated into FGFA (remember what I've said abour aramides which are absent in HAL technology pocket). Even if they will be greatly improved, there is a great technical risc using them and will require LOTS of additional computations and flight tests.
This is non-needed time and money loss in my point of view, because it can give nothing to T-50 comparable to expences.

And what about LCA... It still has sructural problems and flight envelope limitations due to materials and force structure decisions used, so...
However, there are rumors about a broad technologies transfer to HAL including aramide materials. Tejas will be strong and robust with them as T-50.

What I am saying is that this is all done based on requirements. And requirements are constructed based on affordability and tech limitations. According to the earliest reports, when reports of the FGFA came out, which is supposed to have 43 requirements, Sukhoi stated that IAF requirements are higher than VVS's requirements. Now we don't know whether this is in reference to the entire gamut of capabilities of the aircraft or just in reference to electronics which is the core sticking point today which is leading to price rise. Meaning what Sukhoi said was if IAF wants extra toys that VVS has not asked for, IAF will have to pay for it.
Agreed. I even can name the things India will additionally pay for (most part, this is not the secret, just logics):

1 - 2-seater canopy for the part of aircraft (lots of calculations, tests and so on)
2 - Additional software meeting Indian unique requirements
3 - Indigenous weapons integration (LOTS of tests, can cause even your missiles and bombs complete rework to make them possible to be fired supersonic without parasite booms).
4 - Foreign parts integration.
5 - Access to scientific researches results and part of the software sources.

Speaking generally, Indias role in FGFA project is similar to those for GB in F-35 - wide access, but crucial parts Americans left for themselves, which is quite normal.

While we have seen failures or delays in some larger programs like LCA, there have been tremendous successes in the areas of EW and radars in India. As in our entire BMD systems is based on AESA radars, there is no equivalent in the world. Meaning even Russia and US depend on PESA systems compared to ours, even if we had foreign help in developing it, Israel for Greenpine/Swordfsh and France for FCR.
Thanks for the info! It's interesting.

India doesn't have (apparently for now) any viable BMD systems comparable to S-300/400 (don't even speak about A-135), as we know here in former USSR. There were some info about tests, but nothing viable were built.

And BTW, what you need most in those area, are the global MAWS radars like Voronezh. Because if you cannot forseen your foes first strike, all your nuclear power is a lemon. Nobody will fear your strike, if they know that you are a blind dragon :p

As for Russians... S-400 has AESA detection and targeting radars, as well al Poliment/Redut Navy SAM variant.
A new Trikand frigats will receive it to (if the proper contract extension will be signed), don't you know?

Americans are almost to test their "Active AEGIS" variant but suffer electrical power lack problems to feed it with Arleigh Burke class engines.

Articles