Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2prada

I am not sure if A/A covers weather mapping but if it doesn't, it will really screw up a PESA SA.
Yes it does. But, not sure if it is considered a requirement in all air forces. The American AESAs on legacy aircraft don't have weather mapping mode. Don't know about F-22/F-35. I guess the European ones are expected to have one. IAF has a requirement for it.

It means the Rafale can do all missions at once while MKI has to task fighters to certain modes to get a complete picture. That is why MKI is only tasked to air superiority, it is too many resources to cover the whole spectrum.
It is always role specific. Swing role isn't a Russian concept, but American. It requires an aircraft to switch from air to air to air to ground and viceversa depending on the situation. The radar roles are switched for the same. Rafales do that with their RBE-2s as well.

kaRadi

...... That is why MKI is only tasked to air superiority, it is too many resources to cover the whole spectrum.
I think the SU30 MKI is an Air Dominance fighter of which Air Superiority is a part. A versatile aircraft that fits the its air/ground/sea role when required.

I agree with you with regards to PESA (don't have much idea about AFAR).

Does the RAFALE have the AFAR radar? Can it simultaneously identify air, ground and sea targets?

kaRadi

p2prada

Where and when did you criticize Russians?
ZZZ. You haven't seen all my posts. Only more recent ones. And most of them as replies to Armand.

The Bars rada is supposed to be oneof the best PESA radars out there. RBE 2 is a good radar too. I wonder how they match up in combat cenarios. Any actual data?
The RBE-2 has a smaller antenna, say 550-600mm. According to Vlad, it has a peak rating of 10KW, I don't know about this and I am not so sure. The Bars is definitely at 7KW(2008 upgrade) and is a 960mm radar.

A larger antenna allows a smaller beamwidth, which is good. everything else depends on what is sacrificed to get the right resolution for the target. Russian radars are primarily dependent on finding enemies as quickly as possible and engaging them at high speeds. The French don't worry too much of large ranges, but are more dependent on identifying the enemies at optimal ranges so they can engage using BVR at optimal ranges. So, it depends on requirements.

Air superiority aircraft love big radars and greater ranges, ground strike aircraft are more inline with reducing ground clutter and keeping enemy fighters away from them. So, radars for EF and Rafale are modified for different roles.

p2prada

I think the SU30 MKI is an Air Dominance fighter of which Air Superiority is a part. A versatile aircraft that fits the its air/ground/sea role when required.

I agree with you with regards to PESA (don't have much idea about AFAR).

Does the RAFALE have the AFAR radar? Can it simultaneously identify air, ground and sea targets?

kaRadi
Rafale's RBE-2AA being operationalized now is an APAR. It is not AFAR. It means Active Phased array radar.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I guess so until 2015, afterwards it will be Rafale.

"Sukhoi will export 109 fighters in the next three years, while US Lockheed Martin will export 110 aircraft, and China's Chengdu 112 aircraft," CAWAT head Igor Korotchenko said.
China doesn't get credit for exporting. It is a JV with Pakistan. That is like saying Germany exports X number of EF to Spain. They have yet to export modern fighters.

sayareakd

Country flag
any idea why we didnt go for supercruise engine for super upgrade? That would have made mki 30, (-)5g fighter aircraft.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I doubt Russian have any super cruise engine except AL-41-F1 May be..

p2prada

The only supercruise capable engine perhaps 117 and Item-129 will go on the PAKFA. The 117S may be able to achieve supercruise on flanker, but it may not be possible for MKI.

I don't think the MKI will have 117S. It will have an upgraded AL-31F.

mahesh

Country flag
what made the Russia to sell Sukhoi to both CHINA and INDIA ?
i wonder china was the second country to buy Sukhoi
are Indian Sukhoi (Su-MKI) are far more Superior then Chinese Sukhoi ? and what role does Sukhoi hold in chinese air force, ? is it a front line strike bird for china ?

arya

Country flag
are Indian Sukhoi (Su-MKI) are far more Superior then Chinese Sukhoi ? and what role does Sukhoi hold in chinese air force, ? is it a front line strike bird for china ?
are you sleeping from last 10-15 years you are asking some thing which every kid know

sorry but r u serious??

SPIEZ

Country flag
China's chengdu selling 110 aircratfs, who are they selling these air crafts too ?

mahesh

Country flag
are you sleeping from last 10-15 years you are asking some thing which every kid know

sorry but r u serious??
bro let me know at what point of view OF THE SUBJECT, you are asking me this question ? then i will answer you

Last edited:

mahesh

Country flag

sorry but r u serious??

EITHER INDIA OR CHINA WOULD HAVE OPPOSED SELLING SUKHOI TO BOTH NATIONS, AND PUT POLITICAL PRESSURE.

BOTH INDIA Su-30MKI AND CHINA Su-30MKK/MK2 STARTED PRODUCTION FROM 2000, SO I ASKED, OFCOURSE THEY GOT INDUCTED IT AT 2000 ITSELF, THEY WILL BE THE FIRST NATION.

MKI MOST OF THE AVIONICS & COMPONENTS ARE ISREAL, MKK/MK2 ARE WESTERN STYLE I GUEST.

INDIA'S FRONT LINE AIR SUPERIOR CRAFT WILL BE SUKHOI ,,, SO AS I DON'T HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT CHINESE AIR FORCE I WANTED TO KNOW THIS, APART FROM Chengdu J-20(5TH GEN ) WHICH MIGHT BE IT ?

Last edited:

sayareakd

Country flag
The only supercruise capable engine perhaps 117 and Item-129 will go on the PAKFA. The 117S may be able to achieve supercruise on flanker, but it may not be possible for MKI.

I don't think the MKI will have 117S. It will have an upgraded AL-31F.
The NPO Saturn AL-41F is a Russian variable-bypass ratio turbofan engine, designed for supercruise flight. It is considered by Jane's as the Russian counterpart to the General Electric YF120 engine which lost to the more conventional fixed-bypass YF-119 in the ATF engine competition.

The Al-41F program was launched in 1985, and the first prototype engine flew in a Tu-16 Badger testbed in 1990. Originally developed for the Mikoyan Project 1.44[citation needed], the engine was built around the geometry of the AL-31F, making it compatible with existing airframes, including the Sukhoi Su-27 series. The engine is reported to have recently entered low rate initial production for use in the Su-34 Fullback[citation needed].
Saturn AL-41 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p2prada

Yeah. But it is not as simple as take old one off and stick a new one in and voila. Dimensions may be the same but the process would be different. It would need major changes because of the weight difference and the extra power generated too.

We have a contract for 940 AL-31FPs. So, I don't see how they will start manufacturing 117S instead. Nevertheless we will see, but don't keep your hopes up.

p2prada

I am not sure how many people know this, but the first Malaysian order for the Su-30MKM was actually an international tender between the Super Hornet and the Su-30MKM. This deal saw the AESA configured Super Hornet against a more advanced version of the MKI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles