Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambu

BrahMos test flight for Sukhoi-30 by year end

The BrahMos missile for the Indian Air Force which can be launched from a Sukhoi-30 is being developed and a test flight will probably be held by the end of this year, said Dr A Sivathanu Pillai, chief controller, R&D, DRDO and chief executive officer and managing director ofBrahMos Aerospace. The BrahMos missile used an air breathing scramjet propulsion technology and hence was more fuel efficient than a traditional rocket-powered missile, he said.

Pillai was in Trichy on Saturday to deliver a lecture in the ongoing Pragyan 2012 of the National Institute of Technology, Trichy (NITT). According to him, the paradigm of India's progress must be in the course of a leap frog in technology. "When the world had a cruise missile, India went forward to make a supersonic cruise missile," he said.

He also touched upon the predictions for the future in technology in all spheres of life. "The future belongs to self-driven cars (which have been tested by DRDO in an ongoing project), flying cars, stem cell surgery, morphing airframes, solar power satellite and a space lift," he explained.

On the future of energy, he stressed that nuclear and solar power are the sources. Pillai also mentioned about the latest research into nano-solar cells that claim efficiency of 50% at low costs.

Turing his attention on BrahMos, Pillai stressed on the versatility and elite characteristics of the world's only supersonic cruise missile. Capable of being launched from land or sea to any target on land or sea, with a speed of Mach 2.8 (2.8 times faster than the speed of sound, which is three times faster than the USA's contemporary Tomahawk cruise missile). The BrahMos is the brainchild of Pillai's team comprising the DRDO, India and NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) ofRussia.

BrahMos test flight for Sukhoi-30 by year end | idrw.org

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The BrahMos missile used an air breathing scramjet propulsion technology

:rofl:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Why can't the Brahmos be carried by Mig-29Ks or Rafales? Is it the dimensions or the "fittings" - it certainly should not be the weight.

trackwhack

The BrahMos missile used an air breathing scramjet propulsion technology

:rofl:
Could be slip of the tongue because he is working on Bramhos 2. Is it that funny? He is one of the top DRDO scientists, you think he dosent know the difference?

p2prada

Why can't the Brahmos be carried by Mig-29Ks or Rafales? Is it the dimensions or the "fittings" - it certainly should not be the weight.
A single hardpoint will need to carry 3 tons, not possible on such small fighters. Rafale, maybe. But that will increase wing loading and affect overall performance. We have enough MKIs to pull it off anyway.

p2prada

Don't know about PAKFA. Let it be inducted first. Then we can think about integrating Brahmos 2.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
has any one got any link or video which claims russian pilots on flankers have done more than 10 G manuveur ,plz post it

lambu

Sukhoi Gets Special Shelters At Lohegaon

The coming summer of this year will be relatively cooler for India's Sukhoi aircraft fleet at Lohegaon's Indian Air Force (IAF) base. The base is home to two squadrons of India's frontline fighter and has installed All-Weather Maintenance Shelters for the aircraft parked at the station which will protect them from harmful ultraviolet rays of direct sun.

Maintenance shelters have been installed at IAF Lohegaon station and have been in place now for about a month or so. The metal-fibre structures are capable of accommodating one aircraft each. Two squadrons of the Sukhoi-30 MKI, fighter No. 30 squadron - Rhinos and No. 20 squadron - Lightenings, are stationed at the IAF Lohegaon Station. Third squadron, No. 31 squadron - Lions, was relocated to Jodhpur in September. Maintenance shelters have also been erected at other IAF bases where Sukhois are stationed. The light weight structures are such that even if they fall, the aircraft systems are not damaged.

Commenting on the development, Air Marshal Bhushan Gokhale, former vice-chief of air staff said, "Today, technological advancements are such that paints, coatings on the aircraft protect the machine to a great extent as against earlier ones. However, in the longer run, this is certainly a step in the right direction given that the structures provide protection to the aircraft from all types of environment besides human comfort and avoiding direct heating of sensors due to direct sunlight."

Defence News - Sukhoi Gets Special Shelters At Lohegaon

SPIEZ

Country flag
is the MKi being produced in India? if yes on whch annual rate?
Yes the complete DESI SUKHOI was released not a long time back. The annual rate is about 12 per annum, but there seems to be more than meets the eye.

sayareakd

Country flag
they should have kept those SU 30MKI in tambu Shelters At Lohegaon...........

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I found this really interesting piece at another forum site ...

As a Viper driver, I'll say what really matters is the man in the machine. If you look back at history the better plane did not always win the fight. Example, the Mig-15 in Korea had the advantage with speed, climbing ability and turn over the F-86(unslatted) but the kill ratio was 12:1 infavor of the more highly skilled and aggressive US pilots.

In my experience fighting F-15's, they have toys that we cant talk about and I don't have in the Viper that I wish I had, but I don't know of any Eagle pilot that wanted to go to the merge and turn with a Viper. Maybe now that the helmet mounted sight and Aim 9X are out they will feel differently. The Viper has a better instantaneous G onset, turn radius and rate (over time) and a better thrust to weight ratio. And I can see him forever while the Viper is so hard to see. I'll out stack(climb) any Eagle in a fight and maintain better energy. The Eagle has better slow speed AOA and nose authority because he does not have a limiter. What it comes down to though, is who is flying the plane that makes the difference to paraphrase Baron Manfred von Richthofen
I think you can compare the MKI to F-15 and the Viper (F-16) to Rafale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles