Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianemperor

Country flag
Su-30 MKI against its Westers Counterparts

I was just going through some of the defense forums, most of them keep stating that the SU-30 MKI is not at par with the planes like the Eurofighter Typoon, the Rafale or the F-18. I have a couple of doubts regarding this and the MMRCA program.

1) Is Su-30 MKI not at par with the planes like Eurofighter Typoon, Dassault Rafale, F-18 and Saab Gripen NG.

2) If the Su-30 MKI is better than the planes that are being tested under the MMRCA accqusition, why not increase the production of the MKI rather than purchasing planes.

3) If the country really needs a Multi Role Combat Aircraft, will the LCA not fit in.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Ans 1. Yes the SU 30 MKI is not on par with its western counterparts when it comes to avionics, ergonomics and availability. But the Su 30 MKI exceeds them in aerodynamic performance and a proven design. And dont compare SU 30MKI with Gripen and Rafale as they belong to different class of Aircrafts.

Ans2. You cant use a spade to eat and a spoon to dig. Thats why we are going for the MRCA.

Ans3. The LCA lacks the range and payload that the MMRCA offers. Hence you are again comparing apples to oranges.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Spade to eat and spoon to dig.... Lol satish.

ankur

so when FGFA arrives will lca not lose out its position to MMRCA as i think the IAF would have FGFA,su-30mki's and mmrca.if at all LCA continues what will be it's role in the IAF in the future?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
so when FGFA arrives will lca not lose out its position to MMRCA as i think the IAF would have FGFA,su-30mki's and mmrca.if at all LCA continues what will be it's role in the IAF in the future?
Has the Mig21s Bisons? lost out their significance because we have Su30s, Mirages, 29s etc now? The Mig 21 will loose its tag once the MRCA comes, the LCA will be the main interceptors I feel. God Speed

gogbot

Originally intended to serve as an air superiority aircraft with a secondary "dumb bomb" ground-attack role, the flexibility of this design approach has permitted a variety of guided air-to-surface and anti-shipping weapons to be integrated for more well-rounded multirole and multimission capabilities.
AS we are all aware operating twin engine aircraft is very expensive.

The Tejas give the Indian air force its single engine and single pilot alternative to its otherwise expensive air force.

Since the Tejas is cheap and quick to make and easy to operate. and offering pretty mush the same standard of features as higher end aircraft.

It can be inducted in larger numbers more easily and quickly.

And then be stationed to take up a number of Point defense, Ground attack and even secondary air attack and air superiority roles.

It provides the cost effective fighter the IAF needs maintain a high fleet number. And yet offer the same Multi-role capabilities as more expensive alternatives

ankur

so if LCA can perform multi-role missions in a requisite wat when inducted in large numbers then is MMRCA induction only a stop-gap arrangement for stopping force depletion in IAF?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
LCA is not an air superiority fighter. Its going to be a numbers filling fighter primarily be used for interception and area defence against enemy attack. Support to fighter bombers maybe. As satish said in the beginning every acquisition has its own role. LCA too has a role to play.

Indianemperor

Country flag
As Satish stated above "The LCA lacks the range and payload that the MMRCA offers.Hence you are again comparing apples to oranges".....how will the LCA offer multi-role capabilities.

Indianemperor

Country flag
Pakistan to get the latest F-16s....I hope we dont buy the same F-16s for the MRCA. Something much better than F-16s would be nice.....

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Pakistan to get the latest F-16s....I hope we dont buy the same F-16s for the MRCA. Something much better than F-16s would be nice.....
You can forget F-16's being selected for the MRCA,it must have been an inside joke to even allow them in the competition by Delhi. Why was USA allowed to have 2 planes in the competition when all other countries have one ??

Last edited:

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I am quite sure nobody will take the F-16s even if they are given away for free (like the Pakistanis are getting right now)

I think its a fight between the Super Hornet and the MiG with the Rafael in close 2nd spot...

I personally would like the Eurofighter to win, but I think the price may go against it...

gogbot

so if LCA can perform multi-role missions in a requisite wat when inducted in large numbers then is MMRCA induction only a stop-gap arrangement for stopping force depletion in IAF?
That's right on,
there is a reasoning for long term views as well. But with the LCA delayed and MKI too expensive and a depleting airfleet.

We decided that we needed something to fill the void of Medium combat aircraft(MCA).
we couldn't wait any longer.

A new multi role aircraft cheaper to operate than the MKI, but yet offers most of the same advanced capabilities.
Its range and role will larger than the Tejas but also more expensive so there is no redundancy for the LCA requirement

gogbot

LCA is not an air superiority fighter. Its going to be a numbers filling fighter primarily be used for interception and area defence against enemy attack. Support to fighter bombers maybe. As satish said in the beginning every acquisition has its own role. LCA too has a role to play.
As Satish stated above "The LCA lacks the range and payload that the MMRCA offers.Hence you are again comparing apples to oranges".....how will the LCA offer multi-role capabilities.
The Tejas is still a Multi-role aircraft meaning, It can still be equipped to fly Air-superiority missions, as well as ground attack operations.

Its not that it is not capable. Its just that we have so many better planes suited for those kinds of Missions.

I am sure the Tejas will take part in the same Ground attack roles as the Mirage-2000.

As well as Air-attack and support Missions.

gogbot

I am quite sure nobody will take the F-16s even if they are given away for free (like the Pakistanis are getting right now)

I think its a fight between the Super Hornet and the MiG with the Rafael in close 2nd spot...

I personally would like the Euro-fighter to win, but I think the price may go against it...
I am of the impression that Rafael will win.
Given that SCEMA and GTRE are teaming up on the Kaveri engine.

the only other competitors are the Euro fighter and Super hornet.

I personally hope that we go for one of those three. But SH not so much.

ankur

eurofighter has proved it's dominance in air to ground missions and in my view if mig-35 and eurofighter emerge at the to p of the list,given the proximity of our relationship with russia ,mig-35 will win the contract.the bottomline is that u have to keep in mind the political angle also.

Kinshuk

You can forget F-16's being selected for the MRCA,it must have been an inside joke to even allow them in the competition by Delhi. Why was USA allowed to have 2 planes in the competition when all other countries have one ??
Because US is the only country except Russia, having multiple planes that it can offer to US.

Last edited:

Kinshuk

F-18 SH is a class plane and the weapon it offers has no match to any other AC in the whole MMRCA. Provided TOT is not a problem for the congress and obviously it shouldn't come with any strings attached...

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Because US is the only country except Russia, having multiple planes that it can offer to any country..
Kinshuk why does USA have two planes in the MRCA and Russia have one ,the reason maybe Russians don't have another that is ready or prepared to meet the requirements ;but it should be an equal -equal chance on paper for all. When USA has 2/6 planes they have 33% chance of one plane winning while all other planes have a 16% chance.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Ok boys, this is not the MRCA thread. All this has been discussed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles