Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
http://knol.google.com/k/vijainder-k-thakur/su-30mki-acquisition/yo54fmdhy2mq/45#

Su-30MKI Acquisition

Su-30MKI Acquisition
Su-30MKI comprise the mainstay of IAF's fighter fleet for "air dominance."
India purchased 40 Su-30MK/MKI aircraft from Sukhoi in Russia in 1996 and acquired a license to manufacture an additional 140 MKI fighters at HAL. In 1998, it purchased an additional 10 Su-30Ks bringing the total order to 50. In January 2009, India ordered an additional 40 Su-30MKIs from Russia.
Contents

* Su-30MKI
* Acquisition Summary
* N011M BARS Radar
* News
* Indigenization
* Russia offers Su-30MKI modernization

Acquisition Summary

Total Order: 230+50?
Initial Purchase (1996 and 1998) from Russia: 50
Follow-up order on Russia: 40
Initial order on HAL: 140
Additional possible order: 50

Of the initial 50 aircraft procured, 8 were basic Su-30MKs, 10 Su-30Ks, 10 Su-30MKIs with canards, and the remaining 22 Su-30MKIs with canards and AL-31FP engines, the thrust vectoring version of AL-31 engines fitted on the earlier aircraft.

The first batch of Su-30MKIs were delivered to the IAF in the beginning of 2002

The AL-31FP engine is 110 kg heavier and 0.4m longer than the AL-31F but retains the same thrust.

All the 50 aircraft acquired have since been upgraded to Su-30MKI standard.

By June 2009, HAL had assembled 42 MKIs from the total order of 140 to be assembled by the end of 2012.

Three aircraft from the follow-up order for 40 had been delivered by December 7, 2009. Delivery of the remaining is expected to be completed by 2011-12.

A total of two aircraft were lost in crashes on 30 April 2009 and 30 November 2009.

As of December 2009, the IAF is operating five Su-30MKI squadrons, with two squadrons flying HAL assembled aircraft.

India and Russia are currently negotiating a midlife upgrade for the Su-30K aircraft supplied to it earlier.

N011M BARS Radar
The Bars radar fitted on the Su-30MKI is a hybrid radar that fits between a PESA and contemporary AESA radar. It features a detection range of 76 nm (50 nm form the rear hemisphere). It has 0.9m diameter antenna The phased array can electronically steer the mainlobe through +/-70 degrees in azimuth and +/-40 degrees in elevation. The whole array can be further steered mechanically. Polarisation can be switched by 90 degrees for surface search modes.

The radar can simultaneously track both air and ground targets and engage 4 to 8 targets.

The radar can transmit targeting information to 4 other aircraft operating their radars in the passive mode.

News
In and interview to TOI on October 1, IAF Chief PV Naik indicated that the service was interested in purchasing an additional 50 Su-30 MKIs.

Indigenization
The first Su-30MKI manufactured from raw materials in India by HAL is expected to roll out in 2010, HAL Chairman V. Balakrishnan said at MAKS 2009.

HAL mastered the manufacture of the wing and the tail last year, and plans to start producing the fuselage and raw materials this year. Manufacture of the engine, the most challenging aspect of indigenization, will be undertaken in the final phase.

"We’re currently testing the locally produced engine for the Su-30MKI and are planning to launch its production in 2010."

HAL would manufacture 60 Su-30MKI fighters in the full production cycle till 2015, he said.

Russia offers Su-30MKI modernization
Russia has offered to modernize the 50 Su-30 aircraft it delivered to India under a 1996 contract.

The aircraft are due for major overhaul and Russia has proposed incorporation of the latest technologies during the major overhaul.

The project will be discussed during Defense Minister Shri AK Antony upcoming visit to Russia to attend the 9th meeting of the India-Russia Inter Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC).

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
misleading heading but good news:

http://www.ptinews.com/news/500409_IAF-to-get-missile-armed-Su-30-MKI-fighters-by--12

Moscow, Feb 4 (PTI) Indian Air Force's multi-role Su-30 MKI fighters could be armed with supersonic cruise missiles by 2012, giving them the capability to strike ground targets from stand-off distance.

"The work to adopt the missile for deployment on fighter is being carried out by the Rosoboronexport, the Sukhoi Design Bureau and NPO Mashinostroyeniya (Russian partner in BrahMos JV)," a top official of the aircraft manufacturer has said, adding that the missiles could be mounted on the aircraft in two years.

With this, India would get the capability to fire these missiles from land, sea as well as air. BrahMos are already fitted on naval warships as well as inducted by the Army.

India and Russia are in the process of developing a hypersonic version of the missile.

Dark_Prince

Stats and Beauty of SU-30MKI

Beautiful Video revealing stats and capabilities of SU-30MKI------------>Enjoy;)

Last edited by a moderator:

StealthSniper

is that HAL will produce total of 60 aircrafts till 2015. Not 60 air crafts per year. It is 12 air crafts per year making it (12*5=)60 fighters till 2015 for 5 years period. 12 is the max claimed production rate .. not 14-15 per year.

So let me recalculate for you:

* Total Order: 230
* Initial Purchase from Russia: 50
* Follow-up order on Russia: 40
* Initial order on HAL: 140 but only 42 delivered till 2009 (from the same VK thakur's article you quoted)
* Till 2015: 60 (at max 12 a/c per year)

So, by 2015 considering we get all 40 fighters delivered from Russia, we will max operate (50+42+60+40=)192 MKI fighters. 230 is a figure we will never reach by 2015.

I think HAL delivered more than 42 because if we add the 50 we got from Russia and also the 42 HAL built we only get 92 MKI (I know we have 100+ right now). Either way we have to look at the worst case scenario and I think (because of how India works) we probably won't have 230 MKI by 2015. Of course eventually we will have the required 230 + 50 more MKI but I also heard that the government was also trying to push HAL to get around 15 MKI going out every year and maybe a second line was to be used. I'll see if I can find more info on it.

Quickgun Murugan

I think HAL delivered more than 42 because if we add the 50 we got from Russia and also the 42 HAL built we only get 92 MKI (I know we have 100+ right now). Either way we have to look at the worst case scenario and I think (because of how India works) we probably won't have 230 MKI by 2015. Of course eventually we will have the required 230 + 50 more MKI but I also heard that the government was also trying to push HAL to get around 15 MKI going out every year and maybe a second line was to be used. I'll see if I can find more info on it.
I found the number 42 from the same article you had posted all the calculations from (VK thakur's article). This article dates back to Aug '09. Probably it was 92 back then and in this 7 months period, the numbers might have gone upto 100. 15 MKI's is a bit too ambitious. HAL's Mr Balakrishnan is clearly saying max production rate of 60 a/c's till 2015 means not a fighter more than that, but definitely lesser :D. Given the incompetence of HAL I would be surprised if the numbers reach even to 200 until 2015.

What I am saying is 2015 will be the last straw for MKI. I think IAF will freeze MKI orders from there on investing that money on more FGFA's which will also be home produced. Already HAL has its hands full with LCA then with MMRCA. Will be glad to see all production rates at an even 10 a/c's per year.

StealthSniper

I found the number 42 from the same article you had posted all the calculations from (VK thakur's article). This article dates back to Aug '09. Probably it was 92 back then and in this 7 months period, the numbers might have gone upto 100. 15 MKI's is a bit too ambitious. HAL's Mr Balakrishnan is clearly saying max production rate of 60 a/c's till 2015 means not a fighter more than that, but definitely lesser :D. Given the incompetence of HAL I would be surprised if the numbers reach even to 200 until 2015.

What I am saying is 2015 will be the last straw for MKI. I think IAF will freeze MKI orders from there on investing that money on more FGFA's which will also be home produced. Already HAL has its hands full with LCA then with MMRCA. Will be glad to see all production rates at an even 10 a/c's per year.

Well if you think that because the MKI is not being produced fast enough production will stop then you should add LCA and MMRCA into the mix also. From 2010-2020 I don't see how HAL will be able to meet timetables and also absorb new technology and be able to make the LCA,MMRCA MKI and FGFA fast enough to deliver to our armed forces. Even if they halt MKI production they still will have to deal with LCA, MMRCA, FGFA and also PAKFA so I think that if the MKI is delayed or something it shouldn't mean we stop production, it should mean we find solutions to the problem and nip it in the butt before the really big orders come in.

Frankly, the MKI is easy for HAL now considering they have built enough now and have the knowledge to maintain and upgrade the aircraft, but they still are behind and can't keep up. I'm more worried for the MMRCA, FGFA, and PAKFA where their is a steep learning curve in technology and also they will have to work now with foreign partners on sophisticated aircraft and who knows how long it will take for the HAL team to figure it all out. I just don't know how they are going to work on so many sophisticated aircraft at once and it will be interesting to see how they do it. But if the MKI is behind and we fall in squadron strength then maybe the government will wake up and do something about it.

Zoravar

Heres the info on wikipedia:Currently in service:120

Info on dates: Total ordered (50+140+40) + (Additional 50 still to be ordered, as per Force India/ no official confirmation so far) will be procured / produced / assembled by 2015-2016 bringing the total number to 280. All 50 of the first batch delivered (1 crashed)/ 52 of the 140 HAL built delivered so far (1 crashed)(balance 88 at the rate of 14 per year by HAL ) and, 3 of the 40 ordered delivered so far(balance 37 by 2012-13).

LETHALFORCE

Country flag

Info on dates: Total ordered (50+140+40) + (Additional 50 still to be ordered, as per Force India/ no official confirmation so far) will be procured / produced / assembled by 2015-2016 bringing the total number to 280. All 50 of the first batch delivered (1 crashed)/ 52 of the 140 HAL built delivered so far (1 crashed)(balance 88 at the rate of 14 per year by HAL ) and, 3 of the 40 ordered delivered so far(balance 37 by 2012-13).
If we are building 12 to 14 a year and only a balance of 37 the latest it will happen is by 2014. More realistic numbers maybe 230 by 2014 and 280 between 2016 to 2018. By 2018 the complete 280 order should be complete and PAKFA should also have arrived.

ZOOM

Founding Member
Instead of getting overtly concerned about low induction rate of MKI's, we need to figure out how best we can optimize the use of rest of the MKI's. Since one should not forget the fact that one MKI can perform the role of entire Mig-21 squadran and much efficiently as well.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Instead of getting overtly concerned about low induction rate of MKI's, we need to figure out how best we can optimize the use of rest of the MKI's. Since one should not forget the fact that one MKI can perform the role of entire Mig-21 squadran and much efficiently as well.
we are optimizing we have KH-31 on sukhois, soon we will have air launched Brahmos on the sukhois and ASTRA will be also added in the future along with Novator AWAC killing missiles that come out in the future. Some planes may also carry CBU-105's bought from USA after 26/11.

Quickgun Murugan

Well its wiki. 120 Sukhoi's simply cannot be in service as of now. Clearly it is 92 fighters on Aug '09. Hal max production rate is 12 a/c per year and its been only 6-7 months now. So I think we hardly would be operating a 100 MKI's as of now.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
According to this, IAF had 84 on 05.2008. The production didn't ramp up to 12+ a year until 2008 so total numbers today based on that would be about 90 by the first of 2009 and 102-110 today.

http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/su-30-in.htm

Edit.. don't forget two crashed since then.

Last edited:

Zoravar

Here's excerpt from article i read on toi and found on wiki.

These 50 new Sukhois will in addition to the 230 of these twin-seater fighters already contracted from Russia in three deals worth upwards of $8.5 billion.

Having inducted 105 of the 230 Sukhois till now, IAF has already begun to base these jets in the North-East in a clear move to counter China's rapid modernisation of its armed forces. Incidentally, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd has been directed to complete the manufacture of 140 of the 230 Sukhois under transfer of technology by 2015 at all costs.

Zoravar

More from wiki:cool:(we bought 90 direct from Russia)

Procurement

s. In 2000, another agreement was signed allowing the license production of 140 Su-30MKIs in HAL in India. The deal combined license production with full technology transfer and hence was called a 'Deep License'. The MKI production was planned to be done in four phases: Phase I, II, III and IV respectively. In 2007 another order of 40 Su-30MKIs have been made. In 2009, India planned to acquire 230 Su-30-MKIs.[21] The IAF will soon sign a contract for 50 additional Su-30MKI aircraft, each of which would cost around $45 million.[22] This will bring IAF's total to 280 Su-30MKIs once deliveries are complete.[1] HAL has been directed to end the production of 140 of the original 230 jets under transfer of technology by 2015, instead of the originally scheduled 2017-2018.[22]
Source
Basically:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...khoi-fleet-for-checks/articleshow/5288979.cms

From source:HAL, in fact, has been directed to end the production of 140 of the original 230 jets under transfer of technology by 2015, instead of the originally scheduled 2017-2018.

Last edited:

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
The Hindu : News / National : Strategic reach of air power showcased

In a show of strength and reach of the country’s only joint services command, two Indian Air Force frontline Sukhoi MKI fighters roared across the skies at an impressive City Parade here on Sunday.

Witnessed by hundreds of people against the picturesque backdrop of the sea, the two air dominance fighters scorched the skies, flying some 1,400 km from the Kalaikunda airbase in the East.

After refuelling mid-air, the Sukhois made an appearance for the first time here at the parade held to coincide with the Indian Navy’s multi-country “Milan” exercise. The aim was to demonstrate the reach of the joint services which operate in these islands of strategic importance to the country.

“Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a vantage position across vital areas in the 800 km north-south (linear) axis… and is sitting at the entry/exit point of the western approach to the Straits of Malacca,” Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman and Nicobar Command, Vice-Admiral D.K. Joshi said.

The command, with constant patrols by the tri-services and the Coast Guard, keeps a steady vigil and stops terrorists from setting up bases over the 572 islands with a 2,000-km coastline, of which only 36 are inhabited.
Challenges

The challenges in the region are centred around poaching and the Indian Navy held a table-top exercise with navies of other countries to undertake joint planning towards building mutual confidence and improving inter-operability in dealing with problems such as piracy, gun and drug running and illegal migration.
Upgrading airstrips

Efforts were on to expand the length of runways and upgrade the airstrips to facilitate night-landing, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said here earlier.

Currently there are four airstrips that can operate Sukhois in the region. Sunday’s demonstration showed the reach of the IAF since the fighter aircraft equipped with Beyond Visual Range missiles and other lethal weapons, reached these skies.

In addition, the Landing Ship Tanker (Large) INS Kesri has been positioned here for amphibious operations since the command is being developed as a niche centre for such warfare.

At the parade, the Navy mounted an operation by its famed Marine Commandos, who slithered down a hovering helicopter at sea to carry out a simulated attack on a dummy oilrig platform.

Another team demonstrated water para jumps.
Precision drill

Besides the enthralling precision drill by Air Warriors, the viewers witnessed breathtaking performance by sky divers and a marchpast by contingents from Australia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, the Philippines and Thailand. At sunset, the people were treated to fireworks as five ships at anchorage were illuminated.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
PHOTOS: Samtel's Indigenous MFDs On Su-30MKI

PHOTOS: Samtel's Indigenous MFDs On Su-30MKI​

miads

Country flag
how many su 30-mki can be produced by HAL industry in everyear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles