Su-30 MKI

Status
Not open for further replies.

proud_hindustani

Country flag
I was reading about thrust vector of general combat jets on different sites. I found out that SU-30 MKI makes India the only second country after Russia to have great thrust vector capabilities.

The maximum tilt angle for the SU-30 is 32 degrees in horizontal and 15 degrees in vertical. Even Eurofighter Typhoon does not have thrust vectoring. :D

Sukhoi Su-30 MKI - Purpose of Thrust Vectoring

StealthSniper

Interesting Picture:

The underside view tells an interesting story. The diameter & angle of the port engine nozzle indicate that the engine shut down due to in-flight failure.

StealthSniper

Enlightened, I also thought that the pilot could be doing a manuever but the way the engine blades are facing down and the way the blades are open seems it could be a problem or maybe a test. Either way, I learned that if the TVC did start malfunctioning on either engine the pilot would turn off the engine so that the engine wouldn't send power in the wrong direction.

bond

New to the forum, so hello
I have a question. If a Su30 MKI only costs around $40 mil, why the MRCA tender? All the aircraft's listed in it costs more than $40 mil and they are only either a light weight or medium weight aircrafts. Why not buy 126 more Su30MKI's?

notinlove

now that is a very good question .... many members out here are still wondering the same thing .....
here are my 2 cents ...

1.Su 30 is an Air superiority fighter it is supposed to provide cover and point defence .

2.Huge plane . huge operating costs . from training to war games to actual war ..costs a lot over its life cycle.

3. Big plane even bigger RCS = not good for strike roles :)

notinlove

IMHO
Ground radars and AWACS are much more powerful than fighter radars ....
with a 10m2 RCS a good radar will detect you at anywhere between 300-600 kms away .. then you lose that element of surprise .. and the enemy has a lot of time to direct its assets at you ...the most you can do is kill a couple and turn back ...as you will be saddled with ground attack munitions not much A2A ammo

whereas a plane with RCS around 1m2 gives you an advantage of 1/(10)^0.25 in detection . that means that the same radar will detect a 1m2 mrca at about 168-337 km .... effectively cutting the time to react to half.

thats a decisive advantage .

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Boss this is as simple as this if you are going in for strike or air combat with ammunitions hanging your RCS is HUGE the clean configuration RCS matters a Zlich.

truthfull

Boss this is as simple as this if you are going in for strike or air combat with ammunitions hanging your RCS is HUGE the clean configuration RCS matters a Zlich.
which is the best 4.5 th generation aircraft for ground attack role.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
which is the best 4.5 th generation aircraft for ground attack role.
Nothing can beat bombers :D

Tough question and not full also. Best in what sense? I mean in terms of weapon carrying capability both in quantity and variety. range, ECM and lot of other parameters to be considered to arrive at any meaningful conclusion

truthfull

Nothing can beat bombers :D

Tough question and not full also. Best in what sense? I mean in terms of weapon carrying capability both in quantity and variety. range, ECM and lot of other parameters to be considered to arrive at any meaningful conclusion
sir bombers are in differnt catogory for them to work like b2 lancer first radars of enemy have to be destroyed,but i am aski9ng in category of ef2000,mirage ,f16....

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
sir bombers are in differnt catogory for them to work like b2 lancer first radars of enemy have to be destroyed,but i am aski9ng in category of ef2000,mirage ,f16....
Well in terms of type of weapons can be carried then US should be number 1. SEAD role can be performed by any multi role aircraft which can carry a anti radiation missile and these missions are inherently dangerous. It all depends upon the jamming capability to get some crucial seconds and then ability to turn around and make a mad dash towards home :D. Obviously luck has it's role to play

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
They are all comparable birds. Ultimately it comes down to the pilot.

notinlove

I Do not Agree
the Frontal RCS of a Cruise missile is 0.1 m2 so the RCS of an Air to ground missile should be atleast equal if not less

lets also add the RCS of the Pylon (this bit is not given anywhere but low RCS pylons have been invented) assume it to be twice that of the missile at 0.2m2

that makes the increse in RCS for each mounted missile equal to 0.3m2
let us suppose 5 such missilies are mounted on a plane of RCS 1 m2 and also on a plane of RCS 10m2

RCS of 1m2 plane=1+5x0.3 = 2.5m2
RCS of 10m2 plane=10+5x0.3 = 11.5m2

change in detection range = original detection range x (2.5/11.5)^0.25 = original detection range/1.5

so if the detection range for a 10m2 fighter is 300 km for a 1m2 fighter the corresponding figure is 200 km
This might mean zilch in case of an air to air combat as the target engagement range is limited by the kinematic performances of A2A missiles (the range of the missile is far less than the detection range of the radar)

but in case of detection from ground i don't think this is zilch :) .

sources for missile RCS

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA447064
http://www.csbaonline.org/4Publications/Archive/R.20050310.CruiseMiss/R.20050310.CruiseMiss.pdf
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-2278.html
http://www.defence-analyst.co.uk/RCS Values Extract.pdf

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
New to the forum, so hello
I have a question. If a Su30 MKI only costs around $40 mil, why the MRCA tender? All the aircraft's listed in it costs more than $40 mil and they are only either a light weight or medium weight aircrafts. Why not buy 126 more Su30MKI's?
in one sentence

" Because you cannot expect a Royal bengal tiger to do the job of a bulldog".

zraver

Well in terms of type of weapons can be carried then US should be number 1. SEAD role can be performed by any multi role aircraft which can carry a anti radiation missile and these missions are inherently dangerous. It all depends upon the jamming capability to get some crucial seconds and then ability to turn around and make a mad dash towards home :D. Obviously luck has it's role to play
its way more complex than that.

The SEAD aircraft have to suppress the enemy radars and then go after the SAM's. If the enemy shuts his radar off and goes to IR/visual mode then the SEAD aircraft have to shove the attack home and drop bombs on the SAM site despite missile and AAA fire. Then they have to loiter to protect the strike in case other systems pop up.

prashanth09reddy

Indian Air Force May Acquire More Su-30MKIs

NEWTOWN, Conn. - A total of 230 Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter aircraft have been ordered for the Indian air Force (IAF), including 140 that are being assembled under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). Recently, the commander of the IAF indicated that his service was interested in acquiring 50 additional Su-30MKIs, which would thus bring the total IAF acquisition to 280 Su-30MKIs.

Fifty Su-30MKIs, produced in Russia by Irkut, were delivered to the IAF by the end of 2007. Under an October 2007 deal valued at around $1.6 billion, Irkut is currently producing 40 additional Su-30MKIs for the service.

Meanwhile, licensed assembly by HAL of the aforementioned 140 Su-30MKIs is under way. Deliveries to the IAF of HAL-built aircraft began in 2005 and are scheduled to be completed in 2014.

war machines: Indian Air Force May Acquire More Su-30MKIs

bhramos

Country flag
NEWTOWN, Conn. - A total of 230 Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter aircraft have been ordered for the Indian air Force (IAF), including 140 that are being assembled under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). Recently, the commander of the IAF indicated that his service was interested in acquiring 50 additional Su-30MKIs, which would thus bring the total IAF acquisition to 280 Su-30MKIs.

Fifty Su-30MKIs, produced in Russia by Irkut, were delivered to the IAF by the end of 2007. Under an October 2007 deal valued at around $1.6 billion, Irkut is currently producing 40 additional Su-30MKIs for the service.

Meanwhile, licensed assembly by HAL of the aforementioned 140 Su-30MKIs is under way. Deliveries to the IAF of HAL-built aircraft began in 2005 and are scheduled to be completed in 2014.

war machines: Indian Air Force May Acquire More Su-30MKIs
its an old news and a repost too, kindly delete it. and even i think this was also inked by our PM during his recent visit to Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles