SSLV News, Discussions, Updates and Reports

Vamsi

Country flag
It will be SSLV with PSLV capabilities. ISRO has a plan to double the payload capability of all its vehicles. GSLV Mk2 Will become GSLV MK3 so far as capability is concern. PSLV will carry 3000 KG to polar orbit etc. Semi cryogenic stage is a key. GSLV MK3 will carry 10000 kg to GEO with L110 replaced by semi cryogenic technology.
GSLV-Mk2 upgrade program is dead long ago..
LVM-3 can carry only upto 6T to GTO with L110 replaced with SC120
only NGLV will reach 10T to GTO with Methalox engines

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Please dont mix all launchers together. PSLV in bare mimimum configuration does what you are suggesting SSLV to do!
Separate platforms are for separate missions. No need intermixing capabilities.
Mixing is already happening. Do you know in which orbit did GSLV Mk3 place 36 satellites of One web? Low earth orbit. A dedicated rocket made for Geosynchronous orbit used to launch satellites in low earth orbit. It is all about viability and maximization of profit.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
It seems you have ignored the key motto behind SSLV,the cost & time

SSLV based on SCE-200 won't be cheaper unless it is reused & the reusable version won't even have 500Kg payload to 500KM polar orbit without Cryo upper stage which again increases the cost ,complexity & risk....so SSLV based on SCE-200 is economically not feasible
Everything you say is irrelevant if we can do the job using any vehicle at a lower cost than what we incur right now.

Vamsi

Country flag
Everything you say is irrelevant if we can do the job using any vehicle at a lower cost than what we incur right now.
How is it irrelevant? care to elaborate?

SCE-200 is not that cheap, so is CE-7.5 or CE-20, costs will only reduce if SCE-200 based stage is reusable, but the reusable version cannot carry 500KG payload to SSPO unless it has Cryo upper stage, & thus increasing costs again....

So refute every point I have said above

Varoon2

Country flag
I think SSLV in its current configuration, will have a role for small satellites launched into low earth orbit, at low cost, for many years to come.

Vamsi

Country flag
Your SCE-200 based SSLV must be cheaper than current all solid SSLV, not PSLV

Reactions: SKC

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
How is it irrelevant? care to elaborate?

SCE-200 is not that cheap, so is CE-7.5 or CE-20, costs will only reduce if SCE-200 based stage is reusable, but the reusable version cannot carry 500KG payload to SSPO unless it has Cryo upper stage, & thus increasing costs again....

So refute every point I have said above
It is this way.

SSLV cost just 10 pc of PSLV. Even after using using Cryogenic and other modifications, its cost doubles (Say). Won't it be cheap to use it to put satellite in Polar orbit instead of PSLV?

Had we had GSLV mk2 available with semi cryogenic stage, we would have put One web satellite using GSLV MK2 and that is a great saving in cost over GSLV MK III. ISRO already has a plan to increase payload of GSLV MK II to near double than what it is today. Because it has not happened yet, we have to use heavy rocket and hence higher cost.

Varoon2

Country flag
How long did the Velocity Trimming Module( VTM) fire for? It looks like it was flawless this time.

Varoon2

Country flag
How long did the Velocity Trimming Module( VTM) fire for? It looks like it was flawless this time.
I'll answer my own question :). It operated for 30 seconds this time, before fully shutting off.

But another question- what accounts for the shortfall in the stated payload mass? It is given as 334kg, but the mass of the 3 satellites add up to only 175.1kg( 156.3+11.5+7.3)

Is the rest of the weight made up by things like dispensers, deployers, payload adaptor, plus some dummy payload or sensors/avionics being tested?

Vamsi

Country flag
It is this way.

SSLV cost just 10 pc of PSLV. Even after using using Cryogenic and other modifications, its cost doubles (Say). Won't it be cheap to use it to put satellite in Polar orbit instead of PSLV?

Had we had GSLV mk2 available with semi cryogenic stage, we would have put One web satellite using GSLV MK2 and that is a great saving in cost over GSLV MK III. ISRO already has a plan to increase payload of GSLV MK II to near double than what it is today. Because it has not happened yet, we have to use heavy rocket and hence higher cost.
1. But still all solid SSLV will be cheaper than semi-cryo version, so in economic POV it won't happen
2.GSLV's payload was never increased, its always 2.5T to GTO, they planned to increase it to 3.2T,but failed & hence abandoned it

Blademaster

What I want for ISRO is to come up with a rocket that can compete with SpaceX's Falcon rocket series and as well as the Starship rocket. It is inconceivable to me that SpaceX is beating ISRO and has more resources than ISRO even though it is a private company. ISRO should be able to marshall more resources than SpaceX.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
GSLV-Mk2 upgrade program is dead long ago..
LVM-3 can carry only upto 6T to GTO with L110 replaced with SC120
only NGLV will reach 10T to GTO with Methalox engines
Certainly. It will be the mix of new fuel, Low weight motor such as composite motor (Like what we did in Agni V), Higher efficiency CE engine (already tested 21.8 tons thrust against 19 tons thrust), Increase in fuel etc. Name keeps on changing like GSLV3 became LVM3.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
What I want for ISRO is to come up with a rocket that can compete with SpaceX's Falcon rocket series and as well as the Starship rocket. It is inconceivable to me that SpaceX is beating ISRO and has more resources than ISRO even though it is a private company. ISRO should be able to marshall more resources than SpaceX.

ISRO has the potential but where is the fund to carry out R & D and recruit new manpower?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles