Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
View attachment 150886

View attachment 150887

View attachment 150888

Getting there gradually. These guys in the photo you posted look like FSB or Spetsnaz not regular Russian Army or VDV.
Now there is a high chance of ak203 getting kamov treatment
Money already spent to buy heavy machineries and Aks are reliable cheap option for us. They will keep coming.

Better should be to go for Bulgarian Arsenal Kalashnikovs, will also bring commonality with CAPFs.
TAR is there... it's arsenal copy the issues can be sorted out .

We can pass on the INSAS to various police department instead of reserves and instead go for Aks in number.

The production schedule must go on now. No point in wasting more time.

Another line for AR based carbine and rifles should also be started though.

Chinmoy

Country flag
MOD should cut the order of AK's due to this new delay in already delayed procurement and buy a good AR based rifle (whichever one was their L2 that they were testing since past 15 years) and end this endless requirement.
What you think this AK-203 will replace?

Pig benis on sushy

Country flag
Correct me if i am wrong Chinese generally don't wear plate carrier along with Armor along Eastern sector due to Heights and porky generally don't wear don't know about their sf so watered down ak203 will do good in both sectors until put with a good 2x or holo sight .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I used to admire POF as they had made a few goodlooking weapons eventhough many are direct copies of western weapons and some are derivatives but this Type 56 is a bug let down. (Compared with them the things we make are just duds from a quality of point of view, can't blame unions alone blindly as design, procurement of rawmaterials and their quality doesnt comes under the unions but higher ups)

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Its better to buy vanilla Ak103s upgrade it with Zenitco or sureshot accessories for SF and upgrade with Fab defence accessories for RR.
Bulgarian milled ones are good but those are a bit heavier than AKMs.
Cost of FAB mod ?

A good stamped AK is the way to go, the additional dead weight of milled doesn't provide much advantage in real.

AKM is lighter because of the thinner barrel too in comparison to Ak-47s

Russians do know how to negotiate or bribe at the right places.

How much AK-12 cost ?

Last edited:

MisraZ

Country flag
Was once a contender for IA carbine right ?
I didn't find a single source for that but once that car816 deal got canceled and new tender was issued I do remember reading an article mentioning Sarsilmaz.

I do think HK416 type carbine would've been great. (Tbh I wanted that ak203 canc. and car816 to be approved but....)

Excerpt from that article and link I've provided below:

"Subsequently, in pursuit of this programme, the Indian Army facilitated a ‘firing demonstration’ in recent months for at least three OEM carbine vendors – other than the OFB – at the Infantry School at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh. These included Brazil’s Taurus Armas, which has a collaborative agreement with Jindal Defence to make small arms in Hissar and Israel Weapon Industries or IWI that is in a Gwalior-based joint ventures with Adani Defence and Aerospace and Turkey’s Sarsilmaz."

Flying Dagger

Country flag
May be time for workout with Sig and bring them here with Sig MCX.

And move a step ahead and opt for 6.5 creedmoor or grendel whichever works out better for us as one round for carbine assault and battle rifle.

I just don't understand we were going in right direction with MCIWS like rifle what went wrong since then .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
the additional dead weight of milled doesn't provide much advantage in real.
actually that 'dead' weight of milled receiver does help slightly in keeping muzzle climb due to recoil + cycling bolt carrier under control,
most of milled receiver AKs of current gen (Arsenal's, Galils if you count it, etc) generally don't have any mechanical rate reducer on their trigger groups, i mean that ;hammer retarder; thing that's there on AKM//AK-74 and derivatives...but it's mostly there on stamped sheet receiver builds and derivatives for purpose of keeping overall firing on bursts/full auto on control...

The Shrike

Country flag
Not firearms but infantry related question - what is this cushion type thing that a lot of Ukrainian/russian? troops appear to wearing on their behind, what is the purpose?

20220418_102834.jpg

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Not firearms but infantry related question - what is this cushion type thing that a lot of Ukrainian troops appear to wearing on their behind, what is the purpose?

View attachment 151363
It's called "DAT ASS"
Device Anti-Tundra, Asset Survival System

Just kidding.

It's simply a piece of insulting foam that's used in tundra regions; especially by Soviet countries.
So that you can retain your core's temperature even if you have to sit on ice or ice cold metal/rock for an extended period of time.

Global Defence

Articles