Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

ACE Gen-2 doesn't have Iron Sites at all , may be that's why IA didn't even consider looking at it for their requirement and it is hell expensive compared to 203 .
Even the SIG 716 does not come with iron sights as standard. They had to be purchased as an add on from IMI Defense factored into the final price. That isn’t the reason why Galil wasn’t selected. Galil Ace mk2 isn’t on offer and it’s a product as of now that is only being offered for the American civil market only as of now.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag

ACE Gen-2 doesn't have Iron Sites at all , may be that's why IA didn't even consider looking at it for their requirement and it is hell expensive compared to 203 .
That may not be the reason. Because this ACE GEN-2 is a civilian version sold in USA. Any requirement from a military customer can be added by IWI.

The real reason for choosing AK-203 in 2018-19 is the regular hafta we have to pay to Russia, for our strategic interest.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Guys, keep a watch on Kalashnikov Concern activities,
you may see a new iteration of AK-12 with recent 'PPK-20' pattern thumb operated fire selector installed on it
View attachment 106307
source, Vlad Onokoy's recent video

postscript -> it seems Kalashnikov guys are finally giving up on AK style fire selector and replacing it with ambidextrous thumb safety, now that big ass "fire selector" just covers charging handle slot when gun is put on safe, once a user actuates thumb operated fire selector it moves down to open up charging handle slot and vice versa, that is if a user puts it back on safe it would move up and cover the slot again.
in simpler terms, it's primary functionality is been mostly replaced with newer thumb operated fire selector and only purpose of that thing now is to cover charging handle slot when on safe...so previous "Safe-Full Auto-Semi Auto" modes using that big selector are not valid anymore...
...kinda mumbo jumbo thing i would say if they want to give up on this 'traditional' selector and adopt to ambidextrous thumb operated selectors...like why even keep it there...just replace it with FNC style spring loaded 'curtains' or better SG550 style rubber curtains
Remember i told ya guys to keep a watch over Kalashnikov Concern activities as we may see further iteration of AK ?

😏 Well @FalconSlayers often cited that he wished to see AK-15 or AK-19 here but say, whatya think about this one instead ?
1630603532801.png

1630603641416.png

1630603706201.png

meet a developing project that goes by AK-EVO, and it is at least two years older project; around same time we saw that "new" AK-19 coming out with "new" polymer framed pistol grip and magazine lock housing and the new pattern iron sights and what not...
...but you see the exact same thing (except perhaps iron sights) are also here on this AK-EVO ?

and now we're seeing this ambidextrous set of thumb-operated fire selector that also actuates (i.e. moves around) main fire selector on brand new "PPK-20" submachine gun...yep, also taken from AK-EVO

so yeah AK-EVO is the what we might see as new "AK-12K SP" something in assault rifle segment in upcoming times, and this is not my wild guess, lemme provide you some sources about it,
<1>comments from youtube video of Vlad,
1630604580998.png

1630604605160.png

<2>VK.com (russian counterpart of zuccbook) post on it (from where i got those pics above)
1630604855724.png

<3>Vlad himself explaining new "AK-12"

So yeah, now we have two prime "modern" AK variants from Kalashnikov Concern,
this AK-12K SP from AK-EVO {using conventional AK pattern receiver and some new stuf} and of course AKV-521 {using two-piece sectioned receiver like AR or SG550 and so},
it would be interesting to see which one finally gets nod from Russian Armed Forces

@Gessler bhai @ALBY @Hariharan_kalarikkal @Haldilal @Aditya Ballal @FalconZero @Kunal Biswas dada @Marliii @MisraZ @shuvo@y2k10 @Unknowncommando 2 and all

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Remember i told ya guys to keep a watch over Kalashnikov Concern activities as we may see further iteration of AK ?

😏 Well @FalconSlayers often cited that he wished to see AK-15 or AK-19 here but say, whatya think about this one instead ?
View attachment 107998
View attachment 108000
View attachment 108001

meet a developing project that goes by AK-EVO, and it is at least two years older project; around same time we saw that "new" AK-19 coming out with "new" polymer framed pistol grip and magazine lock housing and the new pattern iron sights and what not...
...but you see the exact same thing (except perhaps iron sights) are also here on this AK-EVO ?

and now we're seeing this ambidextrous set of thumb-operated fire selector that also actuates (i.e. moves around) main fire selector on brand new "PPK-20" submachine gun...yep, also taken from AK-EVO

so yeah AK-EVO is the what we might see as new "AK-12K SP" something in assault rifle segment in upcoming times, and this is not my wild guess, lemme provide you some sources about it,
<1>comments from youtube video of Vlad,
View attachment 108015
View attachment 108016
<2>VK.com (russian counterpart of zuccbook) post on it (from where i got those pics above)
View attachment 108021
<3>Vlad himself explaining new "AK-12"

So yeah, now we have two prime "modern" AK variants from Kalashnikov Concern,
this AK-12K SP from AK-EVO {using conventional AK pattern receiver and some new stuf} and of course AKV-521 {using two-piece sectioned receiver like AR or SG550 and so},
it would be interesting to see which one finally gets nod from Russian Armed Forces

@Gessler bhai @ALBY @Hariharan_kalarikkal @Haldilal @Aditya Ballal @FalconZero @Kunal Biswas dada @Marliii @MisraZ @shuvo@y2k10 @Unknowncommando 2 and all
They need to have a mechanism for ambidextrous charging handle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag

View attachment 107998
View attachment 108000
View attachment 108001
Na..Grind away that elongated M-Lok rail which conceald the trade mark gas tube. Without the gas tube its not an Ak but an AR😬.
Btw whats the practical issue in putting an Insas type fire selector in Ak?
So happy to see Kalashnikkvs too are evolving

MisraZ

Country flag
Na..Grind away that elongated M-Lok rail which conceald the trade mark gas tube. Without the gas tube its not an Ak but an AR😬.
So happy to see Kalashnikkvs too are evolving

That big ass selector serves as a dust cover in safe for Kalashnikov. That's a thing INSAS or m16 style fire selectors won't be able to do. Why they don't use FN FNC / Sig 550 style solution is a puzzle. This was mentioned by @Johny_Baba bhai in one of his posts I guess.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Short answer, no issue at all, you just need to understand how trigger group works on it, then take a say, cylinder, make proper cutouts of some specific dimensions around it, and use it as fire selector, affix a thumb-operated safety on that prepared cylinder and that's it.

BUT longer description of the "why" part would require some proper explanation, i mean Why AK has that style of fire selector, why AK goes Safe-Auto-Semi and AR goes Safe-Semi-Auto etc etc, and 😪 i am out of much time to explain it all so maybe later, putting it in my list at this moment...

That big ass selector serves as a dust cover in safe for Kalashnikov. That's a thing INSAS or m16 style fire selectors won't be able to do. Why they don't use FN FNC / Sig 550 style solution is a puzzle. This was mentioned by @Johny_Baba bhai in one of his posts I guess.
Yeah it's just that INSAS and M16 doesn't need to have such fire selector+dust cover combo arrangement simply because both are charged using non-reciprocating charging handles at particular places that doesn't require a cutout/slot etc on main body, rest both INSAS (at least in theory) and M16 are pretty well sealed off from outside gunk due to elimination of extra opening on the body around working parts,

AK otoh does need a slot because of that charging handle affixed on its bolt carrier so this idea, taken straightly from Remington Model 8, was a clever workaround to get both things done, that's it.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
They need to have a mechanism for ambidextrous charging handle.
oh they indeed tried, i mean not ambidextrous but swappable charging handle with very first AK-12 prototypes, designed by Vladimir Zlobin (with some "consultation" provided by Mikhail Kalashnikov himself)

original 2012 era prototype had channel for charging handle in place of iron sight block, and one could simple turn it around at disassembly time,
2013 era prototype even removed that partial channel and in place of straight AK style charging handle brought a "Z" shaped (or being more precise, "∫" shaped) charging handle that would pass over that top cover part due to its shape,
notice in this pic, all those prototypes have thei charging handles swapped on other sides,
1630685145639.png

2012 prototype's charging handle configuartion
1630687175642.png

2013 prototype's charging handle configuration, notice the "Z" or "∫" shape {same stuff is also there on 2015 prototype)
1630687140419.png

Zlobin's design was trully revolutionary in terms of tactical features, a huge upgrade from traditional AK because it was completely ambidextrous from fire selectors to tactical magazine lock that could be actuated using a finger, to even folding stock that has hinge that could be affixed other way to make it fold other side and so, and most importantly it had an (ambi, of course) bolt hold open//bolt release device and special magazines made for it to make it use that feature... {and in case of 2012 prototype, i also suspect it that they initially might have had some plans to make it even eject at either side depending on ejector configuration etc, judging from pics and so, but lack of official info hence can't say much...}
...but like many great things when AK-12 came out it was still Serkari Izhmash Corp, and the whole design was such a step-forward that it didn't share even 10 percent compability with previous lines of standardised Kalashnikovs in terms of production, so would have required not only new assembly lines but perhaps retraining of workers too, and of course increasing number of parts would result in increased costs,
then Izhmash still tried their best to manufacture some prototypes for russian army trials and so, where it performed "poorly" compared to currently issued AK-74Ms and some quality control issues were also observed...
...this and some other reasons (like change in authority) and 2014 ending era restructuring of Izhmash that later resulted into Kalashnikov Concern resulted in shelving of all prototypes by 2016 ending times at least, and older AK-200 project got revived, some things added to it result was AK-400 and later simple name-change and AK-400 became what we now know as AK-12

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
oh they indeed tried, i mean not ambidextrous but swappable charging handle with very first AK-12 prototypes, designed by Vladimir Zlobin (with some "consultation" provided by Mikhail Kalashnikov himself)

original 2012 era prototype had channel for charging handle in place of iron sight block, and one could simple turn it around at disassembly time,
2013 era prototype even removed that partial channel and in place of straight AK style charging handle brought a "Z" shaped (or being more precise, "∫" shaped) charging handle that would pass over that top cover part due to its shape,
notice in this pic, all those prototypes have thei charging handles swapped on other sides,
View attachment 108204

2012 prototype's charging handle configuartion
View attachment 108209
2013 prototype's charging handle configuration, notice the "Z" or "∫" shape {same stuff is also there on 2015 prototype)
View attachment 108208

Zlobin's design was trully revolutionary in terms of tactical features, a huge upgrade from traditional AK because it was completely ambidextrous from fire selectors to tactical magazine lock that could be actuated using a finger, to even folding stock that has hinge that could be affixed other way to make it fold other side and so, and most importantly it had an (ambi, of course) bolt hold open//bolt release device and special magazines made for it to make it use that feature... {and in case of 2012 prototype, i also suspect it that they initially might have had some plans to make it even eject at either side depending on ejector configuration etc, judging from pics and so, but lack of official info hence can't say much...}
...but like many great things when AK-12 came out it was still Serkari Izhmash Corp, and the whole design was such a step-forward that it didn't share even 10 percent compability with previous lines of standardised Kalashnikovs in terms of production, so would have required not only new assembly lines but perhaps retraining of workers too, and of course increasing number of parts would result in increased costs,
then Izhmash still tried their best to manufacture some prototypes for russian army trials and so, where it performed "poorly" compared to currently issued AK-74Ms and some quality control issues were also observed...
...this and some other reasons (like change in authority) and 2014 ending era restructuring of Izhmash that later resulted into Kalashnikov Concern resulted in shelving of all prototypes by 2016 ending times at least, and older AK-200 project got revived, some things added to it result was AK-400 and later simple name-change and AK-400 became what we now know as AK-12
Is there any Indian interest in this and can it used as a upgrade KIT for existing AKMs.

Articles