Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Are they facing 400000 enemies from 2 hostile armies , comrade ?

America is facing enemies all over the World comrade, from the deserts of the ME, Afghanistan, snows of areas bordering Russia, urban warfare, to the humid tropics in the Pacific. The logistics alone in maintaining troops across these diverse potential conflicys zones is daunting. And with that magnitude and diversity of theaters it pays to have standardized battle rifles and bullets for logistics.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Not true. One or two pieces inducted for weapon familirisation process doesnt mean an AR-15 variant is better than a cost efficient7.62x39 weapon in CT ops where engagements happen in close ranges.
I was just having a fun argument to make the ar15 look good brother.we all know ruskies have only one answer to their small arms probelms .and that is an ak

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Godzilla as mentioned by @Gessler,
some paintball gun,
honestly i was not sure this time except two points that i noticed IN CASE IT WAS A REAL GUN,
> upper part of the upper receiver where usually charging handle and cam track resides is thicker so it has to be a gas piston gun, most likely a short stroke gas piston one,
> but then it doesn't have full auto sear cross-pin above fire selector in this pic ? so is it a semi-auto-only rifle ? in Garud ? what is the purpose ?
> magazine kinda seems odd too
^based on these i was leaning towards that it could be a prop-gun for familiarisation to AR platform or perhaps an Airsoft gun sorta thing and this guy isn't Garud at all but a poser something...
but Parthu bhai @Gessler already cracked the enigma with this one so thumbs up for that :thumbsup:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
BTW i have a bad news for small arms fans here,
remember Howa Type-20 i.e. Japanese made SCAR-alike rifle ?
1626363366934.png

This rifle passed trials and order was given to replace aging Type-89 rifles with it,
production started in 2020 and so,
😪 but they too faced QA issues it seems, got an update regd it from a friend of mine on telegram, posting it as it is (of course with some necessary censorship).
1626363617208.png

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
BTW i have a bad news for small arms fans here,
remember Howa Type-20 i.e. Japanese made SCAR-alike rifle ?
View attachment 100007

This rifle passed trials and order was given to replace aging Type-89 rifles with it,
production started in 2020 and so,
😪 but they too faced QA issues it seems, got an update regd it from a friend of mine on telegram, posting it as it is (of course with some necessary censorship).
View attachment 100008
I don’t think quality issue over here as Japan is known for only one thing, Quality. But still breaking of charging handle means it requires a better polymer or alloy in use. Random mag release might be a small design issue more, can be sorted out, atleast they are making their own, we aren’t.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I don’t think quality issue over here as Japan is known for only one thing, Quality. But still breaking of charging handle means it requires a better polymer or alloy in use. Random mag release might be a small design issue more, can be sorted out, atleast they are making their own, we aren’t.
Well Type-89 they made did suffer from various issues but it was accepted in service because being "Swadeshi", also being 'cheapest' solution among local options...and yet it was damn expensive compared to other rifles in market back then, about 3000 some US$ back in 90s, still is around same (inflation adjusted etc) despite large scale adoption has reduced its price...

but even after that Type-89 suffered from its issues,
some of the issues i am copy-pasting from my TG friend,
>>[19.05.20 17:04]
The current std rifle the Type 89, is based on the AR 18 and is not known for its reliability or durability. The troops hated it from the beginning. Very prone to cracking of the heat shields and the stock is flimsy

This is what he replied when i asked him what are some issues of Type 89, he replied this
>> [05.06.20 21:24]
Stocks break all the time

[05.06.20 21:25]
Upper and lower receivers come apart during firing

[05.06.20 21:25]
Mags just drop

[05.06.20 21:26]
When japs got sent to Afghanistan the guys begged M16s from muricans

[05.06.20 21:26]
Howa are a spindle machine manufacturer

[05.06.20 21:27]
Gun making is a secondary function

So...yeah...

also from an other account, Japanese still have a stockpile of 5.56 NATO ammo having previous generation NitroCellulose based propellants, that leaves lots of carbon fouling inside gas system and also is corrosive,
so after firing some rounds a soldier is compelled to clean its barrel and gas systems or it gets corrosion.

At end i'd like to remind some things,
- Type 89 was based on AR-18 design that Howa had license to manufacture, AR-18 on its own was meant to be a cheaper,"low-tech" to manufacture alternative of AR-15 due to its majority of stamped sheet receiver construction and so, conversely it affected some reliability aspects on it due to loose fittings of parts in some places, and i wonder if it got inherited with Type 89 too despite it is of a much better quality than its purvaj,
- Some of the issues mentioned above, like Magazine dropping out, were also seen in M16 when it got adopted, 'specifically in vietnam many troops who did 'jungle style' of taping two opposite-faced magazines together for quicker reloads found out weaker magazine locking mechanism couldn't properly held such 'heavier' magazine in place and they kept falling out, and it took at least two revisions of springs for magazine locking tab to fix it ;
so yeah...

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles