Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
So far good improvement over standard AK, but still many things should be changed,in my opinion they should ditch AK pattern bolt or at least rework it to something like FNC pattern,
simply because the default design of AK bolt (and locking lugs on front trunnion) is semi-sealed type, you can see it being exposed when bolt is cycling backwards,
1613908882749.png

So in dirty situation when firearm cycles and potentially opens up itself to outside gunk it could easily accumulate on those locking recesses , resulting in failures despite weapon being sealed enough during not cycling. (This is what we've often seen in those mud test videos by InRange TV where almost all AK have failed after firing two-three rounds when that mud accumulate on these locking recesses).
Comparing it to FN FNC, redresigned operating mechanism has covered up the locking recesses inside the receiver itself and it is kinda hard for outside gunk to reach there and accumulate when firearm cycles.
^This^ pattern of "locking recesses inside receiver" design is followed by all AR pattern firearms, on AK system it is not followed as mostly they are direct kopies of AK operating mechanism except FNC which is redesigned one.
The only downside of ^this^ is if somehow weapon becomes dirty inside cleaning it requires common tools like brush as now you have to reach to those internal surfaces to scrap the shit off, while on AK you can easily work with its semi-exposed locking surfaces by removing bolt carrier and so, but it's still a nice tradeoff to have if a firearm turns into well sealed design.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
It will take 10 years for our army to get all the carbines and assault rifles, mark my words.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
1613914279752.jpeg

CAR-816A2 SBR has an overall length of 800mm and barrel length of 11.5”.
CAR-816A2 is the civilian version of CAR-816 but has a 11.5” barrel in comparison to 10.5” in CAR-816 as 11.5” is the SOCOM definition of a SBR, hence if 11.5” variant is offered then it has chances of winning the maximum.

Weight w/o Magazine: 6.83 lbs. (3.1kg)

1613914594644.jpeg

If we compare it with IWI ARAD

IWI ARAD has an overall length of 800mm and barrel length of 11.5”.

Weight (pprox.. Kg) (w/o magazine): 2.85kg.

Now it is upto the army. Seriously I hate this tendering process, and Army is also reluctant to procure some carbines under emergency purchases, even IAF said they’ll buy 12 MKIs and 29 UPGs, what happened to it? It is under consideration for more than 2-3 years and yet no such procurement has happened, our procurement process is a total Mess and a BS.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
View attachment 79182

CAR-816A2 SBR has an overall length of 800mm and barrel length of 11.5”.
CAR-816A2 is the civilian version of CAR-816 but has a 11.5” barrel in comparison to 10.5” in CAR-816 as 11.5” is the SOCOM definition of a SBR, hence if 11.5” variant is offered then it has chances of winning the maximum.

Weight w/o Magazine: 6.83 lbs. (3.1kg)

View attachment 79183
If we compare it with IWI ARAD

IWI ARAD has an overall length of 800mm and barrel length of 11.5”.

Weight (pprox.. Kg) (w/o magazine): 2.85kg.

Now it is upto the army. Seriously I hate this tendering process, and Army is also reluctant to procure some carbines under emergency purchases, even IAF said they’ll buy 12 MKIs and 29 UPGs, what happened to it? It is under consideration for more than 2-3 years and yet no such procurement has happened, our procurement process is a total Mess and a BS.
MKI and mig deal is cleared now. Sig Arad Carcal all three have good chances of winning the tender . Let's see what SSS and Indra offers to army..

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
MKI and mig deal is cleared now. Sig Arad Carcal all three have good chances of winning the tender . Let's see what SSS and Indra offers to army..
*Cleared*

When will order be placed?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Keep your hope that it won’t happen, our service firearms will be foreign even if we make it in India.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
No, IWI is pitching Carmel, not Arad. I'd have preferred Arad, but Carmel is good too.
CARMEL is good for spec ops not infantry, no one would like a bulky rifle with them.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
No, IWI is pitching Carmel, not Arad. I'd have preferred Arad, but Carmel is good too.
PLR confirmed it ? They could have offered both .

Anyway we will have the option to opt for 6.8/6.5 round also if any of these are chosen as IWI is planning to offer them in diff rounds.

Killbot

Country flag
PLR confirmed it ? They could have offered both .

Anyway we will have the option to opt for 6.8/6.5 round also if any of these are chosen as IWI is planning to offer them in diff rounds.
In all probability, they offered Carmel. Arad does not meet specs, Carmel does.

Killbot

Country flag
CARMEL is good for spec ops not infantry, no one would like a bulky rifle with them.
True, Carmel looks a bit bigger than I'd like, but has top notch ergonomics and ambidexterity. Its a good gun.

Spec ops would be the ones wanting a smaller gun, right?

WARREN SS

Country flag
My question is why need 😩 AK 203 at all

We already making Ghatak and Trichy rifles in house

Why not OFB collaborate to Develop
These with FAB MOD's

1613928471854.png

Why need of AK arises at all
Its clear case of Kremlin forcing Indian hands
Or corruption in OFB

Its strange why OFB agreed to this over There own Weapon designs

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Like i've mentioned it before one idea behind AK-203 deal was to bring standardisation here,to supplement then replace different AKs with one common one,
only if our top brass could have opted for desi alternative for achieving that goal instead of relying on imported maal.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Like i've mentioned it before one idea behind AK-203 deal was to bring standardisation here,to supplement then replace different AKs with one common one,
only if our top brass could have opted for desi alternative for achieving that goal instead of relying on imported maal.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Damn they aren't able to even properly aim and hold rifle one guy literaly fell due to recoil it seems.
What do you expect from 7.62x51 ammo? It’s recoil really kicks hard, and the guy fell because he fired on full auto which means three times the punch, this caliber is used mostly in Marksman rifles and Snipers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles