Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
kunal sir what were u referring about AKs?
How abt customising assault rifles of RR units and other paramilitary and army units engaged in CT ops with not much costly equipments like vertical hand guards,collapsible butts,OFB made CQB scopes like red dots and hollowgraphic etc and rails and muzzle brakes etc as these modifications will improve the performance of soldiers..
And also what about converting good old SLRS into designated marksman rifles as M14DMRs and issue them among para military units engaged in CT ops in NE and naxal areas
Is it possible to convert INSAS rifles into fully automatic retaining burst fire mode as our soldiers convert single shot FNFALs into fully automatic during ops against LTTE?coz fully automatic weapons will score over burst firinging ones in J&K like scenarios...

@alby,
I fully support Modifed ( P-Rails ) AKs for RR units, though its upto top brass to decide, During my days i and other talked abt SLR can be used as marks man rifles as it use 7.62nato with a longer barrel, During that time it was taken into consideration, Now it is used in other units too, But stricly speaking it is a unit`s modifications to the rifle..

Fullautomatic in Insas is not very gud as it have only 22rnd mag, Fully auto is mainly used for supressive fire for that we have Insas L.M.G, Insas burst option increase kill probality of the target and this option can shread BP and Light armoud Vehicles at ranges up to 100-150ms, Insas three round burst is so fast that when u fire you will feel you have shot only one round..

The FAL used as Full auto were diffenet from regular fal issued o Infentry, The ones used as full auto were for Mech Infentry..
For suppresive fire we used Bren LMG..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why cant India get a private company to manufacture small arms. Why does the DRDO have to get their hands into every single pie no matter how small the pie ??

This seems like an organization that is scared of losing its turf to private players - or are they just in the business of holding on to their jobs at any cost ?
DRDO is purely a defence R&D orgnisation and has nothing to do with production. Contrary to your belief, DRDO is not protective of its (forced) status, unfortunetely in past no privet company came forward to share this burden. Now when they seems willing and looking capable, DRDO is propossing to pass every bit of share they are capable of handling. Didn't you heard of DRDO forming a consortium with privet companies to develop and manufacture 52 caliber/155mm Field Howitzer Gun for Army?

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
DRDO is purely a defence R&D orgnisation and has nothing to do with production. Contrary to your belief, DRDO is not protective of its (forced) status, unfortunetely in past no privet company came forward to share this burden. Now when they seems willing and looking capable, DRDO is propossing to pass every bit of share they are capable of handling. Didn't you heard of DRDO forming a consortium with privet companies to develop and manufacture 52 caliber/155mm Field Howitzer Gun for Army?
I want to clarify your quote - Are you saying that even with the potential of having a captive market by supplying a million plus man army that India has - there are no private players among the major engineering companies willing to engage in small arms/machine guns manufacturing etc.

I find this amazing - if you include law-enforcement and all the other services the number of small arms required is huge especially given how some police are still using bolt-action WW2 type models.

And you are saying that no private company is interested in this business model ??

BTW: I dont consider Howitzers to be in the "small arms" category.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I want to clarify your quote - Are you saying that even with the potential of having a captive market by supplying a million plus man army that India has - there are no private players among the major engineering companies willing to engage in small arms/machine guns manufacturing etc.

I find this amazing - if you include law-enforcement and all the other services the number of small arms required is huge especially given how some police are still using bolt-action WW2 type models.

And you are saying that no private company is interested in this business model ??

BTW: I dont consider Howitzers to be in the "small arms" category.
Flat YES. There is no private sector company in India as of today who is willing to spare its own money in designing and development of small arms, however there are plenty willing to be the manufacturer of DRDO design. You know there is project called F-INSAS and private major TATA is willing to be the supplier, interestingly wherever they have showcased their proposed list they have kept it minus 'assault rifle' and 'hand gun'. Following is a poster on TATA's F-INSAS proposal. Can you spot any info on firearms?

Strictly speaking of small arms. The latest out of DRDO kitty is MSMC and ergonomics was designed by a private firm.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
2011 Shot Show Pictured by SMGLee..

2011 Shot Show Pictured by SMGLee..

Starting off with KAC....

Very cool KAC/Magpul Carbine.

With the integrated front sight in tot he URX, the next step is to build the rear BUIS into the receiver. very clever and very streamline.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

KAC SR-15E3 SBR, limited production SBR package ready to go from KAC direct.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

I often been asked by people ab out what I thought is the coolest thing I seen at SHOT.....Well, here it is, the KAC LMG.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Interesting concept, to move the KAC micro BUIS off to the side.....another play on the 3-gun theme which are getting more and more popular. off sit Iron sights will still keep your rifle in the Tactical class without moving into the open class...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Instead of a standard cross bolt fastening, the KAC off sit sights are locking by a detent screw.

The KAC integrated flip up front sight are now spring loaded assist with locking detent.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
H&K at SHOT 2011

HK MR series rifles components manufactured by Daniel Defense, rifle build by Wilcox, priced over 3k per copy....interesting way to build and sell a rifle.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Long rail 416

416 with IAR style rail and also the actual IAR below, the IAR has been field to a few combat units in Marine Corps, soon those units will go in harms way. likely some combat AAR in regards to the IAR will soon surface shortly after their deployment.

Very cool HK 416-C