RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

Crusader53

Juan Carlos or America Class are better options IMO, these have large aircraft capacity 30+ aircraft (mix of helos and fighters), they both carry a lot more than the Mistral and hence offer lot more firepower. The IN likes its STOVL capabilities and will certainly look at the F-35 in the future.

Secondhand Harriers II's are available many with low hours. Which, are excellent in the Close Air Support Role. Then down the road India could purchase F-35B's if she decides too.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
IN is not going to buy any more Harriers now. Very few in service will remain there till 2023.

Sent from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

lookieloo

IN is not going to buy any more Harriers now. Very few in service will remain there till 2023.
2023? With all that time, why doesn't India just design and build its own LHD class?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
2023? With all that time, why doesn't India just design and build its own LHD class?
You mean STOVL aircraft? Maybe IN will send the request for so, if need arises. But for now carrier based aircrafts will be using stobar/catobar. Helos are more efficient on LHD operations IMO, unless they are sailing alone pushing necessity for better air defence.

lookieloo

You mean STOVL aircraft?
No, I mean the ships. I assumed 2023 was when y'all wanted the things. Apologies if that's the wrong date; I didn't catch what India's timeline on this project was.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
No, I mean the ships. I assumed 2023 was when y'all wanted the things. Apologies if that's the wrong date; I didn't catch what India's timeline on this project was.
2023 is when Harriers retire completely. I am not aware of timeline on LHD program. Mistrals are the best choice right now. Licensed acquisition or unit purchases should not take a decade if IN is determined of LHD's place in its naval strategy. IN is known for its timeliness in equipment induction.

lookieloo

Mistrals are the best choice right now.
Yeah, it's hard to beat the Mistrals' value-for-money when it comes to basic LHD capability. I've always been confused about why Oz went with the Juan Carlos... seeing as the RAN repeatedly swears up-and-down that it has no plans to operate the F-35B.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Shouldn't India invest in the Sikorsky X2 project like it did with Su T-50 for its LHDs?

Crusader53

Yeah, it's hard to beat the Mistrals' value-for-money when it comes to basic LHD capability. I've always been confused about why Oz went with the Juan Carlos... seeing as the RAN repeatedly swears up-and-down that it has no plans to operate the F-35B.

True the RAN has no official plans to purchase the F-35B. Yet, any decision is sometime down the road. So, don't give the opposition any fuel for the fire. Just hold off till the time is right. Japan is in a similar position......My guess is both will buy the F-35B at some point.

natarajan

no news on this implies it is dropped ,late procurement is equal to no purchase

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Can't Private Shipyard like PIPANAV, ABG ,L&T respond to RFP ? don't they have expertize in building this kind of ship

SilentKiller

Country flag
Can't Private Shipyard like PIPANAV, ABG ,L&T respond to RFP ? don't they have expertize in building this kind of ship
I guess too big for them only if they get into a deal with foreign player and present there plan as one.
Atleast first govt should give some orders to them...
now only some are being given to them

IMM

I don't think the US will give the San Antonio class warship to India, but if they do, it's a good buy.
Why San Antonio? why cant we go for canberra class or Mistral, Canberra looks like it can even manage to handle f-35 from it deck.

What say?

lookieloo

Why San Antonio? why cant we go for canberra class or Mistral, Canberra looks like it can even manage to handle f-35 from it deck.

What say?
The San Antonio class is rather expensive; and if the IN is for certain that they will never operate fixed-wing off their amphibs, I'd say Mistral is the best value for money.

Also, Canberra doesn't just look F-35 capable, it is; the Juan Carlos class was designed with the F-35 specifically in mind.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The San Antonio class is rather expensive; and if the IN is for certain that they will never operate fixed-wing off their amphibs, I'd say Mistral is the best value for money.

Also, Canberra doesn't just look F-35 capable, it is; the Juan Carlos class was designed with the F-35 specifically in mind.
There is no reason you can't fly F-35B off of a Mistral. USN LHDs do not have ramps either.

lookieloo

There is no reason you can't fly F-35B off of a Mistral. USN LHDs do not have ramps either.
Yeah... you might want to try looking that sort of thing up before commenting. Mistrals can't even operate Harriers.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yeah... you might want to try looking that sort of thing up before commenting. Mistrals can't even operate Harriers.
Of course they can. It only needs a stronger elevator to lift F- 35.

lookieloo

Of course they can. It only needs a stronger elevator to lift F- 35.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: ...along with the entire flight-deck being stronger/wider (to say nothing of thermal considerations), having a larger hanger and other spaces to handle F-35s... basically, it only needs to be an entirely different ship. As I've had to tell other fanboys, just because a boat has a full-length flight deck doesn't mean it's at all capable of handling fixed-wing aviation.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
:rofl::rofl::rofl: ...along with the entire flight-deck being stronger/wider (to say nothing of thermal considerations), having a larger hanger and other spaces to handle F-35s... basically, it only needs to be an entirely different ship. As I've had to tell other fanboys, just because a boat has a full-length flight deck doesn't mean it's at all capable of handling fixed-wing aviation.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: ... what kind of a VTOL aircraft is F-35B that it can't land on a pad big enough for a Chinook? The hanger is large enough for several F-35.

The deck can load 33t which is more than an F-35Bs sanctioned weight of 30t. Resurfacing the deck is child's play. Was the Mistral designed to operate F-35... no, but it could. It can operate Harriers right now.

F-35B isn't fixed wing in hover mode. If it can't land verticle that is your problem. I wouldn't be surprised with all the design flaws we have seen.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles