Project-75I class SSK Submarines

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
@NLD-This time the Russians have a hukm ka ikka called "chota bhai". Ambani Junior will pull in some serious political and financial muscle. Not to mention this contract if given to pipavav will feed Gujarati jobs which is what the BJP needs to be able to retain Gujarat.

NLD

@NLD-This time the Russians have a hukm ka ikka called "chota bhai". Ambani Junior will pull in some serious political and financial muscle. Not to mention this contract if given to pipavav will feed Gujarati jobs which is what the BJP needs to be able to retain Gujarat.
Ya that is the worst thing even i m seeing from the time new govt has come…Gujarat…Gujarat…Gujarat…
For ex:Vikramaditya-Gujarat…First bullet train Gujarat…etc
Modi is not the brand amassador of gujarat i believe…
Now he is pm of india…He should act like that…

Neil

Country flag
Ya that is the worst thing even i m seeing from the time new govt has come…Gujarat…Gujarat…Gujarat…
For ex:Vikramaditya-Gujarat…First bullet train Gujarat…etc
Modi is not the brand amassador of gujarat i believe…
Now he is pm of india…He should act like that…
what a load of BS... no other shipyard matches pipavav capabilities except PSU..that's why Gujarat.
DMIC is Mumbai-Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi thats why Gujarat. Gujarat has not got any favors from centre..they have earned it.

avknight1408

Country flag
what a load of BS... no other shipyard matches pipavav capabilities except PSU..that's why Gujarat.
DMIC is Mumbai-Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi thats why Gujarat. Gujarat has not got any favors from centre..they have earned it.
Heard of L&T shipyard?...........

Neil

Country flag
Heard of L&T shipyard?...........
nah...what is that?Pipavav is the largest among private players which means it can handle vikramaditya easily(No favors needed) And just for the record even L&T has a facility in Gujarat and it doesn't match Pipavav capabilities in terms of capacity handling.

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
As of now Pipavav is larger and is the only private yard that can build carrier size vessels.
The Katupalli yard is a work in progress and should eclipse Pipavav in size in the coming decade.
Now coming back to the topic at hand, Pipavav already has a tie up with Mazagon docks and through Chota bhai with the Russians.This tie up virtually guarantees them the upcoming order for the third batch of talwars.Pipavav also has a tie up with DCNS .
So unless we buy Soryus or go to the Germans, the submarines will come from Gujarat.

NLD

nah...what is that?Pipavav is the largest among private players which means it can handle vikramaditya easily(No favors needed) And just for the record even L&T has a facility in Gujarat and it doesn't match Pipavav capabilities in terms of capacity handling.
What about CSL?????
It has built vikrant…Cant it accomodate vikramaditya???

Neil

Country flag
What about CSL?????
It has built vikrant…Cant it accomodate vikramaditya???
it can...but its already overstretched with orders. Plus if we dont give orders to private players how do we expect to have credible military industrial complex.

@bengalraider most say that Katupalli even though bigger will still cater to India's submarine need..

Neil

Country flag
Katupalli will build our SSNs and future larger SSBNs.Current SSBNs will come from HSL.PIPAVAV, MDL etc shall be the builders for the SSKs.
so a vessel like vikramaditya can be handled by either CSL or pipavav..correct?

NLD

it can...but its already overstretched with orders. Plus if we dont give orders to private players how do we expect to have credible military industrial complex.

@bengalraider most say that Katupalli even though bigger will still cater to India's submarine need..
If u hv can u pls give me the list of current orders of CSL and eventhe orders which they are trying to bag……???

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
so a vessel like vikramaditya can be handled by either CSL or pipavav..correct?
No Vikram is around 22 meters longer than vikrant(282.5mtrs to vikrants 260odd mtrs length) and needs a longer dry dock.
CSL is working on a proposal for a 300mtr dry dock.

Chinmoy

Country flag
WTH.............. Let it come from Gujrat, Kerela, Andhra or anywhere else. What matter most is the delivery in the proposed timeline and workmanship of top in line.

Illusive

Country flag
India-Germany likely to announce joint defence production plan under ‘Make in India’ initiative

While there is not likely to be a push from the German side on a government to government deal, sources say that two platforms that could be discussed for possible Indo-German cooperation include a new heavy torpedo that India requires for its Scorpene submarines as well as the upcoming contract for six new submarines under the P 75I project. The Modi government is keen to expand basket of foreign defence partners and enter into joint production with an eye on self-reliance in the long run. German company ThyssenKrupp is one of the four contenders for the mega submarine project but ordering six new boats is likely to be a time consuming process involving Indian shipyards — both public and private.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Just putting a thought out there.
The Pakistanis have just closed a deal with the Chinese wherein the Chinese will build them eight Yuan's . Four in China and Four in Pakistan simultaneously this will give the Pakistani navy a formidable 11 modern submarines by the end of the decade. We need to counter this ,my proposal is we scrap P75I for now and go for an off the shelf buy for 20 kilos using the 8billion$ proposed for P75I instead.
What say you my comrades?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Just to clarify I'd justify this by letting the Russians build us ten boats and build five each in PIPAVAV and Katupalli.
Simultaneously we could try to develop our own SSK with the time the kilos will buy us!

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
India May Hand Over Next Six Submarines Order To A Private Shipyard

India will soon have a domestic private shipyard building advanced submarines for its Navy. The public sector Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL), building six Scorpene submarines with French firm DCNS' help already, is likely to get more orders for building advanced submarines too.

This was indicated by Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar after he commissioned INS Kochi, a MDL-built indigenous guided missile stealth destroyer, into the Indian Navy on Sep.30, 2015.

Parrikar was responding to queries from reporters on board India's latest stealth Destroyer. This is an important bit of news for the Indian warship building sector and the world submarine-builders.

The new plan for submarine building is a shift in the Navy's plans effected by the Narendra Modi government and a significant boost to the private sector shipyards.

Parrikar indicated that the government plans to hand over the responsibility of building six new conventional submarines for the Navy to an Indian private sector shipyard.

Interestingly, a panel set up by the Defense Ministry in October 2014 to identify Indian shipyards from among five public sector and three private sector shipyards, which can boast of the capability to build Project 75I submarines, has submitted its report in March this year recommending a few names. But a final call on the report's recommendations is yet to be taken.

As part of the new plan, India would like to continue honing the submarine building skills at the MDL by giving it orders for additional conventional submarines -- possibly three more -- by providing the vessels more technological edge such as Air Independent Propulsion, Land Attack and Advanced Stealth, features that are contemporary and the best in the world.

Though the Indian Navy had in April this year declared that there would be no follow-on orders for Scorpenes, the question now arises if it is possible for MDL to shake off the Scorpenes technology when it builds three more submarines.

"If I don't add up to the production capacity of MDL by more orders, whatever capability Mazagon has developed will be destroyed and forgotten," Parrikar said on board INS Kochi, reminding the nation of the experience of losing the talent gained in building the German HDW submarines in the mid 1980s, after the deal got tainted by graft allegations.

"We had initiated contract of German HDW submarines in 1984. Two submarines we got from Germany, two were assembled in Mazagon Docks. Mazagon got some experience here. Two more were supposed to be built here. But, because of the scandal, the issue could not be pursued and we stopped at two submarines," he said.

"Here, we not only lost two submarines to be built, but the main important aspect is that all the technical expertise, including specialized welding which is required for submarine hulls -- it is not very easy to develop them -- we lost that technology. I dont want Mazagon Docks to lose these technology of submarines. So we are working out a mechanism by which Mazagon can have continuity."

The Scorpenes under Projet 75 and the six more under Project 75I apart, the government has already decided to have six new nuclear-powered submarines -- SSNs to be precise -- to be built in India through foreign help. This decision had come in February this year at the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The SSNs may continue to be built at the Visakhapatnam-based submarine building center.

The six Scorpenes, the six Project 75I vessels, and the six SSNs -- all form part of the Indian Navy's 30-year submarine building plan approved in the year 2000. The plan then was to have 24 conventional submarines built in India. Scorpenes were to be the first lot of six vessels, followed by 18 more to be built by 2030. But Scorpenes are already delayed by four years, even as the first of the six, Kalavari, is scheduled for induction in 2016.

Even if three more conventional submarines are ordered with MDL, after it completes the Scorpenes project, the total number of locally built submarines would still be short by three, compared to the 30-year plan's 24 submarines project as the requirement.

"We can't have infinite number of submarines. Same way, in the private sector, we have decided to get six submarines, and we will select the strategic partner (for building these vessels), so that one private sector and Mazagon Docks specialize in submarine production. You can't have ten people doing it, like manufacturing of cars," Parrikar said.

This plan effectively eliminates the possibility of Project 75I for six submarines going to multiple shipyards. This also gives the indication that the Project 75I may go to one of the private yards - Pipavav or Larsen & Toubro. The final decision is expected soon.

The Indian Navy currently operates nine Russian-origin Kilo class submarines and four German-origin HDW submarines in its fleet.

http://armingindia.com/India May Hand Over Next Six Submarines Order To A Private Shipyard.htm

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
So we're going to have nine scorpenes in total with another six new sub's. That's a total of 15 boats with 11 having AIP . Super news!
Now I just hope we scrap buying six slightly better sub's and instead go for twenty kilos with ten being built in India as KILO-MKI kinda like our own Yuan class! Given that each KILO costs only 300$million we can easily buy 20 for the cost mandated in P75I.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles