P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

sayareakd

Country flag
what are the weapons and its range for this aircraft. Please post some pics of weapons.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Had a brilliant tour of Boeing's P-8 Poseidon Mission Systems Installation and Checkout facility in Seattle yesterday. As we entered the facility, the first thing we saw was a gleaming P-8I. The airframe we saw was the second P-8I for the Indian Navy that made its first flight out of Renton to the Boeing Field earlier this month. The aircraft is now having mission systems installed before it checks out and joins flight test. Picked up some interesting new bits of information on the programme:

The first P-8I will be delivered to the Indian Navy in May 2013, after which flight acceptance trials will be conducted at a yet unspecified range in June/July 2013. Boeing says it will deliver the first three aircraft in 2013.

The two major components that the Indian Navy has asked for on the P-8I, that are absent on the P-8A for the US Navy, are an aft radar (Telephonics APS-143 OceanEye) and a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD).

The base of the P-8I's vertical stabilizer houses a DRS Technologies emergency locator transponder designed to detach from the fuselage and float on the surface in the event of an accident over water.

With certain communications and encryption equipment withheld on the P-8I as a result of the lack of CISMOA, the Indian Navy nominated the following replacement systems: Data Link II, IFF interrogator by Bharat Electronics Ltd, IFF transponder by HAL and speech secrecy system by ECIL and mobile SATCOM by Avantel.

The Indian Navy did ask for the P-8I to be mid-air refuellable from the IAF's standard drogue-hose system. However, Boeing has built in Universal Aerial Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installations (UARRSI) in the fleet for India at no additional cost. This slipway makes the P-8I capable of receiving fuel from a boom tanker. This, Boeing was candid enough to admit, would make its new generation 767 tanker a future prospect for the Indian military.

While India is expected to exercise options for four more P-8Is once deliveries begin next year, Boeing internal projections see India signing on for up to 30 or more aircraft, keeping in mind the Indian Navy's "tremendous maritime domain awareness needs".

Visited the truly astounding Boeing commercial aircraft facility in Everett this morning, scoped out the 747, 777 and Dreamliner lines. An Air India 787 sat in a corner waiting for its engines. Nice.
Livefist

Scalieback

Last edited:

natarajan

So this will our first air launched cruise missile as brahmos air launch is not complete

Bhadra

Country flag
US platforms to buff up IAF, navy combat edge
Rahul Singh, Hindustan Times
Long Beach/Seattle, August 05, 2012
:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

India will buff up its combat edge next year with the induction of a new set of warfighting capabilities sourced from the US under contracts totaling more than $6.2 billion (Rs 34,720 crore).

The first of the 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III aircraft --- ordered last year --- will be delivered to the Indian Air Force (IAF) in June next year. India has forked out $4.1-billion (Rs 22,960 crore) to buy the US Air Force's workhorse used extensively in Iraq and Afghanistan, making it the largest defence contract to have been signed by the two governments.

The Indian Navy will sharpen its anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare capabilities as it inducts the first of the eight P-8I aircraft --- ordered in 2009 --- next May to replace its ageing fleet of Soviet-era Tu-142s.

High-end military technology doesn't come cheap. Worth $ 2.1 billion (Rs 11,760 crore), the planes will shape the navy's air power beyond 2050. India may order four more of these. The P denotes Poseidon ---the mythological god of the seas.

The C-17 can takeoff from a 7,000-foot airfield with 72,574 kg of payload, fly 4,481 km and land on a small, unprepared runway measuring less than 3,000 feet. The four-engine plane can deliver three infantry combat vehicles or a main battle tank or a heavy-lift chopper to forward bases in a single deployment. It can airdrop 102 paratroopers and equipment.

"The IAF's IL-76 (a Russian airlifter) could not fly in loads due to factors such as temperature and altitude when trials were conducted in Leh in June 2010. The C-17 ferried 30 tonnes of stores in the same conditions. It will meet India's needs for military and humanitarian airlift," said Patrick Druez, who heads Boeing military aircraft's mobility division for several global markets including India.

Currently, 10 IAF crews --- 20 pilots and 10 loadmasters --- are training on the C-17 at the Altus Air Force base in Oklahoma. India 1 --- the nomenclature for the IAF's first C-17 --- is expected to be test flown in January 2013.

Boeing integrated the forward, centre and aft fuselages and the wing assembly of the aircraft last week at Long Beach, California, in what is known as a "major join ceremony" in aviation parlance.

Boeing has delivered 245 C-17s worldwide, including 217 to the USAF. Other operators include Australia, Canada, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and the UK. All 10 aircraft will be delivered to the IAF by August 2014, making it the largest operator of the Globemaster III outside the US.

Empty order books will force the shutting down of the C-17 production line in Long Beach in September 2014. If India chooses to place a follow-on order, the decision will have to be made before the end of next year, Druez said.

The navies of both countries will simultaneously induct the P-8 next year --- a military derivative of Boeing's 737-800 commercial aircraft and christened P-8A for the US Navy. Boeing will deliver the first 'P-8I submarine hunter' to the Indian Navy --- the first international customer for the plane ---next May and the remaining seven by 2015.

The planes will be based at INS Rajali in Tamil Nadu.

The Indian Navy has sought a few extra components on the P-8I that set it apart from the US Navy variant. An aft radar in the P-8I's tail-cone will allow the plane a 360 degree sweep, compared to 240 degrees that the P-8A radar delivers.

The Indian plane also comes equipped with a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD), a feature that would help it "differentiate a blue whale from a submarine," said Leland Wight, P8I programme manager.

The long-range maritime patrol aircraft --- armed with torpedoes, bombs and missiles --- will also provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities to the navy. Weapon trials on the P-8I will be completed in the US by August.

"India has awarded deals worth more than $9 billion (Rs 50,400 crore) to the US in the last four to five years and there's more to come," India's Consul General in San Francisco N Parthasarathi said in Long Beach. He was probably hinting at the $1.2 billion (Rs 6,720 crore) Indian attack helicopter competition in which Boeing has emerged as the frontrunner with its AH-64D Apache offer.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
If Nirbhay AShM is sure shot coming then there was not need for Harpoon, Navy could have done with Brahmos for time being, that of course considering required flexibly has been provided to user.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Anti Submarine Warfare Weapons Of P8I

Mk54 HAWC

The Mk-54, on the other hand, stemmed from the need for a smaller, lighter, but cost effective advanced torpedo that could be dropped from helicopters, planes, and smaller ships. To achieve this, it combined the expensive Mk-50's search and homing system with the propulsion system of the Mk-46 torpedo (the previous NATO/US standard), and added off-the-shelf electronic components. Its size improves its ability to go after targets in shallower littoral regions, but it is designed for both deep water and near-shore or shallow environments.A kit called HAAWC/Longshot is under development by Lockheed Martin to allow launches from high altitude instead of the usual ceiling of several hundred feet.
------------------------------------

MK 56 -Mine

Mk 56 is a 2000-lb aircraft-laid moored mine (22.4 in x 114.3 in), with a 360-lb charge (HBX-3). This 2,000-pound mine consists of an anchor, mechanism section, explosive section, and flight gear. Although intended primarily as an anti-submarine weapon, it can also be used effectively against surface craft. The mine employs a magnetic firing mechanism, which uses a total-field magnetometer as its influence detector. Unlike earlier search coils which responded to changes in only one component of a ship's magnetic field, the Mine Mk 56's magnetometer responds to changes in magnitude of the total background field. The mechanism/explosive sections are painted brick red and the anchor is painted black.

--------------------------

MK 60 captor mine

The classic example of a sophisticated rising mine is the US Navy's Mk 60 CAPTOR (Encapsulated Torpedo), which is a deep water (up to 3,000 ft) moored mine that uses "reliable acoustic path (RAP) sound propagation" as its influence method and the Mk 46 lightweight torpedo as its payload. It is strictly an ASW mine, ignoring surface ships and (reportedly) friendly submarines, and may be laid by air, ship, or submarine.

The name CAPTOR is short for enCAPsulated TORpedo. The CAPTOR was the U.S. Navy's standard anti-submarine mine during the Cold War, having enough computer power to detect the difference in acoustic signature between ships and submarines. When an enemy submarine passes close by, the passive sonar detects it and releases the torpedo, which tracks the sound until it contacts the submarine hull and explodes.

google karna hota tu tumhe kyo phucta ,

Articles