P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Raytheon Company: Fish Hawk

Raytheon Proves Advanced Anti-Submarine Capability with Successful Flight Test

The Fish Hawk is a kit that attaches to Raytheon's MK 54 lightweight torpedo and enables submarine-hunting aircraft such as the P-8 Multimission Maritime Aircraft and P-3 Orion to precisely deploy torpedoes from high altitudes while standing off a safe distance from a target.

The kit is composed of wings that deploy after the system is released from an aircraft, a control section, and a GPS/ine¬¬rtial navigation system precision guidance system. Fish Hawk combines a GPS-controlled wing kit with the MK 54 lightweight torpedo and is designed specifically for the P-8. Once launched, the system glides the torpedo to a precise water entry location to seek out, engage and destroy a submarine threat.

Fish Hawk offers new capabilities that will enable aircraft to launch from higher altitudes and thus enhance survivability. The system also provides longer on-station time thanks to reduced fuel consumption. Additionally, Fish Hawk reduces airframe stress because the aircraft is no longer required to dive down to the target level in order to deploy an anti-submarine torpedo.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Show News - Nantional, International Shows like Defexpo, Aero India etc by SP Guide Publications

The Fish Hawk Swims Closer to Indian Skies

Actively participating in Defexpo 2010, Raytheon is showcasing its equipment ideal for Indian defence, including the Fish Hawk, a wing kit system built. Currently purpose built for the US Navy's High Altitude ASW Weapons Capability (HAAWC) programme, with the P-8 Poseidon in mind. The variant P8-I ordered by India and subject to bilateral negotiations between the US and Indian Governments, Raytheon is providing an in-depth view of the Fish Hawk and its design to Defexpo visitors, especially Indian Defence officials throughout this week.

While visiting the Raytheon exhibit booth, Senior Manager of Raytheon Missile Systems Business Development, Mark Borup gave us a detailed look at the wing kit and its compatibility factors. The Fish Hawk tested weapon system enables maritime patrol operators to shoot a torpedo at high altitude, with a greatly extended launch envelope. The system then flies an optimum Global Position System and Inertial Navigation System (GPS/INS) guided flight profile to a precise splash-point to seek out, engage and destroy a threat submarine.

"Fish Hawk's new streamlined design, with low profile pivot wing, achieves the needed size and clearance to maximize the payload capacity of P-8 and other potential ASW platforms," shares Borup to SP Guide Publications. Using mature, proven components, Fish Hawk is guided to the target area by a highly integrated guidance system. Fish Hawk receives the targeting information in the preplanned mode from the ASW aircraft controller and gathers data while airborne through on-board sensors or other third party targeting assets.

"With the incorporation of mature, proven components, Fish Hawk represents an affordable, low-risk solution to the long-range, high-altitude ASW requirements," adds Borup. And with the possible acquirement of the P8-I by India, these factors of the Fish Hawk and the reputation of Raytheon will bring the deal closer to home.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Navy's P-8 Sub Hunter Bets On High Altitude, High Tech; Barf Bags Optional

By Sydney J. Freedberg Jr.

Published: October 2, 2012
Text Size

The Navy's jet-powered P-8 Poseidon patrol plane boasts plenty of advances over the P-3 Orion turboprops it will replace, but for the sensor operators the favorite feature will be very basic: They won't throw up as much.

The P-3's notoriously rough ride at low altitudes and the gunpowder-like stench from the launch tube shooting sonar buoys out the back meant that, "typically, every mission or two you'd have somebody get sick [and] start throwing up into their air sickness bag," said Navy Captain Aaron Rondeau, a P-3 veteran who now runs the P-8 program. "We haven't seen that much with the P-8."
For more news and information on the swiftly-changing defense industry, please sign up for the AOL Defense newsletter. For the quickest updates, like us on Facebook.

With its more modern and less rigid wing, "it's a much smoother ride than the P-3," Rondeau explained, and the buoys are now launched by compressed air, without the old system's stink. And that just means, he said, that "If your aircrews aren't sticking their heads in barf bags, they can do their missions better."

Not everyone really cares whether the operators barf in the back and believe in the P-8's higher-altitude approach. "I don't think it will work as well," noted naval expert Norman Polmar said bluntly. "It's rather controversial."

In particular, after some waffling back and forth, the Navy decided to leave off a sensor called the Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD), which can detect the metal hulls of submarines -- if the plane flies low enough. MAD was crucial to the P-3's traditional low-altitude tactics. Significantly, the P-8 variant that Boeing is building for the Indian Navy will still have it; only the US Navy P-8 will not. Both Rondeau and Boeing argue that the P-8 can more than compensate with more sophisticated sensors and by using its superior computing power to interpret their data.

So with the P-8, the Navy is not just replacing a sixties-vintage propeller plane with a more modern jet, derived from the widely used Boeing 737. It's also betting on new technology to enable a high-altitude approach to both long-range reconnaissance and hunting hostile submarines.

Traditional "maritime patrol aircraft" like the P-3 spend part of their time at high altitude but regularly swoop down, sometimes as low as 200 feet above the waves, to drop sonar buoys, scan for subs with the magnetic anomaly detector, launch torpedoes, and simply eyeball unidentified vessels on the surface. But jets like the P-8 are significantly less fuel-efficient at low altitudes than turboprops like the P-3.

"There's a misconception," said Rondeau. "Some people think that that means P-8 can't do low-altitude anti-submarine warfare [ASW]. We can, and it's very effective down low, [but] we will eventually get to the point where we stay at higher altitudes."

For some of the new sub-hunting technologies, Rondeau argued, going higher actually gives you a better look. Today, for example, one key tool is a kind of air-dropped buoy that hits the water and then explodes, sending out a powerful pulse of sound that travels a long way through the water and reflects off the hulls of submarines, creating sonar signals that other, listening-device buoys then pick up. (The technical name is Improved Extended Echo Ranging, or IEER). Obviously, an explosive buoy can only be used once, and the sonar signal its detonation generates is not precisely calibrated. So the Navy is developing a new kind of buoy called MAC (Multistatic Active Coherent), which generates sound electronically, allowing it to emit multiple, precise pulses before its battery runs down.

"It will last longer and you're able to do more things with it," Rondeau said. And because a field of MAC buoys can cover a wider search area, he said, "we need to stay up high... to be able to receive data from all these buoys and control all these buoys at the same time."

An early version of MAC will go on P-3s next year and on P-8s in 2014, but only the P-8 will get the fully featured version, as part of a suite of upgrades scheduled for 2017. The Navy is deliberately going slow with the new technology. Early P-8s will feature systems already proven on the P-3 fleet and will then be upgraded incrementally. The P-8 airframe itself is simply a militarized Boeing 737, with a modified wing, fewer windows, a bomb-bay, weapons racks on the wings, and a beefed-up structure.

This low-risk approach earned rare words of praise from the Government Accountability Office, normally quick to criticize Pentagon programs for technological overreach. "The P-8A," GAO wrote, "entered production in August 2010 with mature technologies, a stable design, and proven production processes." (There have been issues with counterfeit parts from China, however).

"We had to have this airplane on time," Rondeau said: The P-3s were getting so old, and their hulls are so badly metal-fatigued, that they were all too often grounded for repairs.

So far, Boeing has delivered three P-8As to the training squadron in Jacksonville, Florida. They were preceeded by eight test aircraft, some of which have just returned from an anti-submarine exerise out of Guam. The first operational deployment will come in December 2013, to an unspecified location in the Western Pacific. There the Navy will get to test its new sub-seeking techniques against the growing and increasingly effective Chinese underwater force.

Snuggy321

Boeing hands over first P8I aircraft !

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The first of eight Boeing Defense P-8I Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft will be handed over today on-site to the Indian Navy today at Boeing Field, Seattle, 10 days ahead of schedule (it was to be handed over on December 31). Flight acceptance tests will ensue in a few weeks. Boeing has said it will deliver the first three aircraft in 2013.

Was at Boeing Field in July to check out the Mission Systems Installation and Checkout facility where the first and second P-8Is had just entered flight test.

The Indian Navy is expected to contract for four more P-8Is, a deal that is likely to be final next year once deliveries begin. Boeing projects total sales of 30 aircraft to India based on discussions.

Livefist

Blackwater

Re: Boeing hands over first P8I aircraft !

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The first of eight Boeing Defense P-8I Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft will be handed over today on-site to the Indian Navy today at Boeing Field, Seattle, 10 days ahead of schedule (it was to be handed over on December 31). Flight acceptance tests will ensue in a few weeks. Boeing has said it will deliver the first three aircraft in 2013.

Was at Boeing Field in July to check out the Mission Systems Installation and Checkout facility where the first and second P-8Is had just entered flight test.

The Indian Navy is expected to contract for four more P-8Is, a deal that is likely to be final next year once deliveries begin. Boeing projects total sales of 30 aircraft to India based on discussions.

Livefist
this is wat i called commitment:thumb::thumb::thumb:

mikhail

Country flag

Yankees are known world wide for their punctuality and commitment to a work and their reputation precede them in this matter:thumb:.they may charge a few bucks extrea from the customer but at the end of the day they know the way to impress the customer!hope we buy more of these strategic and defence products from them in the future:cool2:

venkat

Boeing wants to celebrate Christmas with out any headaches...thats why the hurry!!!!:bounce:

EXPERT

thats good but we have to make sure abt maintainance and spares came on time.

vishwaprasad

Country flag

This is the only thing I love about US in weapons business. Though they put stupid restrictions on end users but they do deliver on time....

vishwaprasad

Country flag

so now will this make our ASW capacity most modern in Asia? (off course after adding them in numbers)

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's a big day for the NAVY:thumb:

Navy gets first of 8 P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft from Boeing

As part of $2.1-billion deal inked with the American firm in January 2009

The Navy on Wednesday received the first of the eight P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft it is to get from Boeing.

India had signed a deal worth over $2.1 billion with the American firm in January 2009 for procuring the long-range surveillance aircraft, which are equipped with anti-submarine weaponry.

The first plane was handed over to Indian personnel by the company in Seattle. It will be used for training the crew there, Navy officials said here. This aircraft, along with two more will arrive in India in May 2013.

P-8I is a derivative of Boeing 737-800 long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft and anti-submarine warfare aircraft. It is expected to replace the Navy's Russian Tupolev Tu-142M maritime surveillance turboprop. The plane is an Indian variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy. India requires aircraft able to patrol the vast stretches of the Indian Ocean. The Navy's contract with Boeing included an option for four additional aircraft along with warfare, intelligence and surveillance systems, as well as training and maintenance support.
The Hindu : News / National : Navy gets first of 8 P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft from Boeing

natarajan

why it is going to replace Tupolev Tu-142M now ,what happened to the plan of integrating brahmos with this tupolev ,as it can carry atleast 4 missiles ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
May be they will, We have to wait little more..

why it is going to replace Tupolev Tu-142M now ,what happened to the plan of integrating brahmos with this tupolev ,as it can carry atleast 4 missiles ?

Snuggy321

It will eventually replace it somewhere in the future but definitely not any time soon

Articles