Boeing delivers 5th maritime patrol aircraft to India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Boeing delivers 5th maritime patrol aircraft to India

Boeing has delivered the fifth maritime patrol aircraft to India, on schedule as part of a contract for eight aircraft to support the Indian Navy's maritime patrol requirements.

The aircraft arrived at Naval Air Station Rajali, after a flight from Seattle's Boeing Field, and joined the four previously delivered P-8Is, according to a media release from Boeing.

"The P-8I programme is progressing on schedule, and the aircraft are providing the capabilities to meet our maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare requirements," said Vice Admiral RK Pattanaik, India Deputy Chief of Naval Staff.

He added that the partnership between Boeing and India has been very professional to date.

"This is another important milestone for the programme, and we look forward to continuing our great relationship with India," said Dennis Swanson, BDS vice president in India.

"We'll deliver one more P-8I before the end of the year, followed by two in 2015."

Boeing is building India's aircraft through a contract awarded in 2009. Based on the company's Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing builds for the US Navy.

"We appreciate that senior representatives of the Indian Navy were with us in Seattle to participate in delivery activities and watch the plane take off for Rajali," said Mark Jordan, Boeing P-8 International programme manager.

"It's a great accomplishment for the entire team, and we're hard at work assembling and testing the next P-8I in line for delivery."

The P-8I incorporates not only India-unique design features, but also Indian-built sub-systems that are tailored to meet the country's maritime patrol requirements, Boeing said.

P-8I aircraft are built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

Boeing delivers 5th maritime patrol aircraft to India : India, News - India Today
Adding more teeth to the Indian Navy's sea denial capability.

Time to think of these aircraft being manufactured in India in collaboration with Boeing in conformity with Modi's 'Come, make in India' exhortation. It will also allow Boeing to sell the aircraft cheaper to other countries, thereby increasing their profit.

Immanuel

Country flag
We should certainly order more P-8I, considering the PLAN and its extensive sub network and growing air power, I think we need 36 of these i.e 9 for defensive roles around subcontinent and 27 for agressive roles all around the Indian Ocean & South China Sea. Not sure if local manufacture is possible since the 737 line is in the US, unless Boeing decides to have a 737 assembly line in India like Airbus put a A320 line in China. If The 737 Max can be assembled in India, it would be useful for local and regional airlines who already use the 737 and future orders can come up as well, in such a case the future DRDO larger awacs can be based on the 737 Max.

Bheeshma

Instead of depending on one supplier. They should select a plane and build a MRMP like the Emraer AEWC for IAF. Dassault falcon or C-295 or ATR will be a good option. It will be a good way to build expertise and prevent any sanctions.

Blackwater

Instead of depending on one supplier. They should select a plane and build a MRMP like the Emraer AEWC for IAF. Dassault falcon or C-295 or ATR will be a good option. It will be a good way to build expertise and prevent any sanctions.
Array Bhai jayada jaazbaati nahi hote . HAL aur DRDO ka haal dekha ha.

If u rely in them kuch nahi milna on other side china and pakis leaping ahead

Bheeshma

Pakis and chinese have nothing even remotely as capable as P-8's. I would not put all eggs in one basket. C-295 based MRMP will not require HAL and DRDO can deliver it like the AEWC.

Zebra

Country flag
Adding more teeth to the Indian Navy's sea denial capability.

Time to think of these aircraft being manufactured in India in collaboration with Boeing in conformity with Modi's 'Come, make in India' exhortation. It will also allow Boeing to sell the aircraft cheaper to other countries, thereby increasing their profit.

Boeing Eyes 737-700 Solution for New JSTARS | Defense News | defensenews.com

Sep. 12, 2014 - 01:22PM | By AARON MEHTA

WASHINGTON — Boeing is officially planning a variant of its 737-700 commercial jetliner as a competitor for the Air Force's next-generation Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) replacement.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles