P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
does these planes have any self defence capabilities against anti aircraft fire?

plugwater

does these planes have any self defence capabilities against anti aircraft fire?
It has
  • Chaff: 360 bundles
  • Decoys: 6 decoys
  • Flares: 120 flares
Revolutionary GPS Anti-Jam,
Integrated Friend or Foe,
Towed Decoy Self-Protection suites.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
Indian Navy's poseidon takes off

Indian Navy's poseidon takes off

Boeing demonstrates the multi-mission maritime aircraft; to start work now for 2013 delivery.

The Indian Navy, which aims to be the premier blue water force in the Indian Ocean region, needs to keep a year-round watch over some two million sq km of open sea, the country's Exclusive Economic Zone. In war, the area becomes larger. The aircraft that will perform this function in the decades to come, the P8I Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft (MMA), has made its first flight at a Boeing facility in Seattle, USA.

The state-of-the-art Poseidon will start being delivered to the navy from 2013, replacing its vintage fleet of Russian Tupolev-142M and Ilyushin-38 long-range maritime patrol (LRMP) aircraft. Boeing has developed the Poseidon as a replacement for the US Navy's current maritime patrol aircraft, the P3C Orion. Early in the last decade, Washington tried hard to persuade New Delhi to buy the Orion.
The Pakistan Navy flies this aircraft; two of them were destroyed in May during the militant raid on a Pak naval base, PNS Mehran. But, in 2006, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) replied that the Orion was old technology; it would buy only the Poseidon, which the US had not sold to any other country. Washington, looking for a way to jump-start the defence relationship, acquiesced.

On January 1, 2009, the navy signed a contract for buying eight Poseidon MMA, with an option for four more. This will make it the first non-US operator of the Poseidon. The Poseidon built for the US Navy is designated the P8A; the Indian variant is the P8I (I for India). The utility of a maritime patrol aircraft like the Poseidon, which must dominate the ocean beyond the reach of shore-based radars, hinges upon how much time it can remain on patrol, and on its ability to detect and destroy enemy ships and submarines.

The old Indian Navy Tu-142Ms and IL-38s, dating back to the 1950s, had neither the reliability to remain on station beyond a few hours, nor the gadgetry and weaponry to intimidate the enemy.

In contrast, the Poseidon is internationally acknowledged as the benchmark in maritime patrol. It marries a tried and tested sensor and weapons suite with a specially developed Boeing 737 aircraft. Since reliability and endurance are crucial, it was logical to base the Poseidon on the world's most widely flown airliner (a 737 lands or takes off somewhere in the world every three seconds). The Poseidon is a 737-800, specially modified with a 737-900 wing.

Boeing says it will comprehensively test the first P8I before handing it over to the Navy, which will do acceptance tests before taking delivery of the aircraft. The P-8I is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

The CFM-56 engines that are standard fitment on recent 737s also power the Poseidon. These are modified with larger generators that churn out the power needed for the MMA's sensors and control systems. In addition, there is an auxiliary power unit that provides electricity even when the main engines are switched off.

If the flying platform is completely new, the comprehensive suite of sensors and weapons it carries provides the Poseidon with tested strike power. The Navy has also instructed Boeing to install certain capabilities not provided for the P8A.

This includes 'aft-looking radar', custom-designed by US company Telefonic, which functions like an electronic rearview mirror, scanning the water behind the aircraft. There is also the high-power Raytheon forward-looking radar. The Poseidon has the capability of dropping sonobuoys, which pick up sonar signals from enemy submarines and transmit these to the aircraft.

Unlike a civilian 737, the Poseidon is armed to the teeth. It has 11 'hard points', or weapons stations: Two under each wing for depth bombs or Harpoon anti-ship missiles; five stations inside the weapons bay for torpedoes that cannot be slung outside, since they must be kept warm; and two hard points up front for combat search and rescue equipment or for additional depth bombs.

A team of Indian Navy officers, including the chief aviator, Rear Admiral D M Sudan, witnessed the 150-minute flight in Seattle. Boeing test pilots took the aircraft up to 41,000 ft. Boeing says the coming weeks will see "mission systems installation and checkout work" on the P8I Poseidon.

"The P-8I program is progressing well and we are looking forward to this potent platform joining the Indian Navy as part of its fleet," said Sudan. Boeing says it will comprehensively test the first P8I before handing it over to the Navy, which will do acceptance tests before taking delivery of the aircraft. The P-8I is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Interesting.

[h=1]Indian Neptune makes maiden flight[/h] [h=4]By Gareth Jennings[/h] [h=4]9/30/2011[/h] The first Boeing P-8I Neptune maritime multimission aircraft for the Indian Navy (IN) made its maiden flight from the company's Renton facility near Seattle on 28 September.

Boeing said the two-and-a-half-hour flight saw its test pilots undertake airborne systems checks including engine accelerations and decelerations and autopilot flight modes. During the sortie the aircraft - serial number IN 320, but flying on US serial number N393DS - reached an altitude of 41,000 ft.
This first flight will be followed over the coming weeks by mission systems installation and checkout work on the aircraft at a company facility near Boeing Field, Seattle, a statement noted.

The P-8I, which is based on the P-8A Poseidon, differs from the US Navy variant aircraft in that it will be equipped with an aft-facing radar (to operate independently of the forward-facing Raytheon AN/APY-10 surface search sensor) providing full-hemisphere coverage and an aerial target tracking capability. A magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) system will also be fitted and the aircraft will be compatible with the use of depth charges.

Defence Security Report
So it seems that IN is planning to use this not only for ASW/ASuW, but also as an AEW&C aircraft.

indian_sukhoi

The Best about P-8I over other Aircrafts, Is its Crew Comfort. The interior of the P-8A looks miles ahead than compared to the P-3s, From lay flat seats to whole platform everything is new.

The open architecture data systems allow mission, sensor, and weapons growth to occur with a data load rather than a complete redesign of the aircraft and consoles.
The crew will have shiny large LCDs infront of them to operate. 8)

The only disadvantages is its range and fuel consumption. Jet engines (P-8I) are most economical at high altitudes and less economical at low altitudes.

we need appropriately 21.

3 for each of the 7 naval port (Including Andamaan, Nicobar and Lakshwadeep)
We need much more than 21 with decent number of Global Hawks.

Japan operates 80 P-3C!
Requiremnt are not the same!!!!
South China Sea will be jammed with Submarines, So JDF have to rely on Maritime Aircrafts.

There is no need to bid for 20 aircraft's at once. The Present Il-38s and Tu-142s can fly till 2018-20.

Like all other deals, India first place a orders and then keeps on option for additionals. Like we did with Phalancs, C-130J and C-17s.

In future we can opted for better option to fill up the gap. Maybe Big UAVs which have capable of long endurance or another Advance Aircraft. Hopefully maybe a Indigenous Aircraft with medium range!!
Besides, Our Budget canot sustain buying more P-8Is

I believe the order increase is simply to reduce the gap between patrols as a P8i can only spend 4hrs on station with a maximum unrefuelled range of 1200nmi, the bears on the other hand had an operating range of 8100nmi i.e nearly four times more, even with the advanced electronics on the p8i we shall need at least two p8i's to cover the area a bear could cover hence we will need more planes.
Currently there is no aircrafts comparable to Tu-142 range. Nimrod MRA4 was the only aircraft capable of lengthy patrols at low altitudes, But came to a Dead End.

Cant we just add some Drop tank on the P-8I wings???
Missiles and Torpedoes on P-8I will be carried Internal, Making the wings hardpoints available.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
may be in future we will be able to integrate our maritime patrol radar with our own national carrier(the one being built with nal& csir).in that way we can induct large no. of those planes and it will also save our foreign exchange reserve and promote indigenisation in this field.i am hoeful that the way drdo has been implementing aew&c project on emb-145 platform i would hope to see not only maritime patrol aircraft but indegenious future aew&c on indian build regional jet (or it's advanced version) platform by 2025.

SpArK

SORCERER
Navy to Induct 24 P-8I Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS): The Indian Navy will acquire 12 more Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft to boost its eye in the sky over India's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone. This is in addition to the 12 already ordered, a top commander said.

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told India Strategic defence magazine (..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs.) in an interview that the force was satisfied with the progress of the first eight P-8Is being built by Boeing under a 2009 order and that the second order for four more aircraft was being processed. It would be placed within the current fiscal ending March 2012.

At a later date, it was planned to acquire 12 more P-8Is for offshore surveillance and protection of the Indian waters and interests, bringing the total to 24, Verma added.

India's coastline exceeds 7,500 km, besides which there are several island territories and economic interests off the east and west coasts.

Hitherto, the Indian Navy has been using old, Soviet-vintage maritime reconnaissance aircraft. But, after the 26/11 terror attack on Mumbai, the government cleared the first eight P-8Is within three months of the horror. Four more were cleared earlier this year.

In fact, it was Prime Minister Manmohan Singh himself who had asked the defence ministry to ensure the navy's modernisation after the 26/11 attack, in which 10 Pakistani terrorists easily managed to infiltrate into Mumbai and killed 166 people and injured more than 300.

It may be noted that there had been a virtual paralysis in the government on defence modernisation after the V.P. Singh government instituted an inquiry in 1989 over the controversial Bofors gun deal with Sweden. The Kargil War over Pakistani occupation of strategic Himalayan heights inside India triggered the first round of modernisation and 26/11 the second.

Verma said that the P-8I is the most advanced LRMR platform with a capability to observe even small boats and destroy hostile submarines. India is the first export customer for this aircraft, and the advantage is that India will benefit from the hi-tech systems being developed for the US Navy, which has ordered 117 aircraft.

Most of the specifications of the US and Indian navies are reportedly common but details are understandably being kept secret.

There would be some Indian components though, thanks to the offsets and transfer of technology requirements. India's Bharat Electronics Ltd has already started supplying its Data Link II system to facilitate the P-8I's communications with Indian space, naval, and land based-assets.

The US aircraft, designated the P8-A poseidon multimission maritime aircraft (MMA), has the capability of broad-area surveillance and launching Harpoon anti-ship and land attack missiles, depth charges and torpedoes against submarines and underwater unmanned assets. The aircraft can also perform electronic intelligence (ELINT) missions with its highly sophisticated Raytheon APY-10 radar and Northrop Grumman electronic warfare (EW) systems.

The first Indian P-8I, which first flew on Sep 28 in the presence of Indian Navy officers, is due to be delivered in January 2013. The first US Navy P8-A flew in April 2009 and is due to be delivered mid-2012. Indian Navy officers periodically visit the Boeing factory at Renton in Washington state to monitor the progress of the project and installation of specified systems.

India Strategic quoted Verma as saying that he expected all the P-8Is to be delivered in about six to seven years but did not give the planned schedule.

The P8 aircraft is a next-generation military version of the Boeing 737-800 fuselage with wingtips from the 737-900. The engines are also from the same CFM family used on commercial 737s but more powerful, permitting the aircraft low level cruise over the waters and launch sonobuoys to detect submarines.

There are five stations for systems and weapons operators, and the aircraft can remain in the air for several hours.

According to a Boeing statement, "All sensors contribute to a single fused tactical situation display, which is then shared over both military standard and internet protocol data links, allowing for seamless delivery of information while simultaneously providing data to everyone on the network."

sathya

Navy to induct 24 P-8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft

Navy to induct 24 P-8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft

The Indian Navy will acquire 12 more Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft to boost its eye in the sky over India's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone. This is in addition to the 12 already ordered, a top commander said.

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told India Strategic defence magazine (..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs.) in an interview that the force was satisfied with the progress of the first eight P-8Is being built by Boeing under a 2009 order and that the second order for four more aircraft was being processed. It would be placed within the current fiscal ending March 2012.

At a later date, it was planned to acquire 12 more P-8Is for offshore surveillance and protection of the Indian waters and interests, bringing the total to 24, Verma added.

India's coastline exceeds 7,500 km, besides which there are several island territories and economic interests off the east and west coasts.

Hitherto, the Indian Navy has been using old, Soviet-vintage maritime reconnaissance aircraft. But, after the 26/11 terror attack on Mumbai, the government cleared the first eight P-8Is within three months of the horror. Four more were cleared earlier this year.

In fact, it was Prime Minister Manmohan Singh himself who had asked the defence ministry to ensure the navy's modernisation after the 26/11 attack, in which 10 Pakistani terrorists easily managed to infiltrate into Mumbai and killed 166 people and injured more than 300.

It may be noted that there had been a virtual paralysis in the government on defence modernisation after the V.P. Singh government instituted an inquiry in 1989 over the controversial Bofors gun deal with Sweden. The Kargil War over Pakistani occupation of strategic Himalayan heights inside India triggered the first round of modernisation and 26/11 the second.

Verma said that the P-8I is the most advanced LRMR platform with a capability to observe even small boats and destroy hostile submarines. India is the first export customer for this aircraft, and the advantage is that India will benefit from the hi-tech systems being developed for the US Navy, which has ordered 117 aircraft.

Most of the specifications of the US and Indian navies are reportedly common but details are understandably being kept secret.

There would be some Indian components though, thanks to the offsets and transfer of technology requirements. India's Bharat Electronics Ltd has already started supplying its Data Link II system to facilitate the P-8I's communications with Indian space, naval, and land based-assets.

The US aircraft, designated the P8-A poseidon multimission maritime aircraft (MMA), has the capability of broad-area surveillance and launching Harpoon anti-ship and land attack missiles, depth charges and torpedoes against submarines and underwater unmanned assets. The aircraft can also perform electronic intelligence (ELINT) missions with its highly sophisticated Raytheon APY-10 radar and Northrop Grumman electronic warfare (EW) systems.

The first Indian P-8I, which first flew on Sep 28 in the presence of Indian Navy officers, is due to be delivered in January 2013. The first US Navy P8-A flew in April 2009 and is due to be delivered mid-2012. Indian Navy officers periodically visit the Boeing factory at Renton in Washington state to monitor the progress of the project and installation of specified systems.

India Strategic quoted Verma as saying that he expected all the P-8Is to be delivered in about six to seven years but did not give the planned schedule.

The P8 aircraft is a next-generation military version of the Boeing 737-800 fuselage with wingtips from the 737-900. The engines are also from the same CFM family used on commercial 737s but more powerful, permitting the aircraft low level cruise over the waters and launch sonobuoys to detect submarines.

There are five stations for systems and weapons operators, and the aircraft can remain in the air for several hours.

According to a Boeing statement, "All sensors contribute to a single fused tactical situation display, which is then shared over both military standard and internet protocol data links, allowing for seamless delivery of information while simultaneously providing data to everyone on the network."

Last edited:

p2prada

The Indian version is capable of 360deg surveillance unlike the American version.

Finally a decent number for the platform.

indian_sukhoi

may be in future we will be able to integrate our maritime patrol radar with our own national carrier(the one being built with nal& csir).in that way we can induct large no. of those planes and it will also save our foreign exchange reserve and promote indigenisation in this field.i am hoeful that the way drdo has been implementing aew&c project on emb-145 platform i would hope to see not only maritime patrol aircraft but indegenious future aew&c on indian build regional jet (or it's advanced version) platform by 2025.
Presenlty we dont have the capability to produce Maritime aircrafts, maybe medium size planes in coming years. HAL doesnt even have large hangers or infrastructure to start.

The Only Transport size aircrafts we under developing are NAL saras, which are not that large or capable of lift the required weight. Whereas MTAs in future

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS): The Indian Navy will acquire 12 more Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft to boost its eye in the sky over India's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone. This is in addition to the 12 already ordered, a top commander said.

]
I would rather prefer to see IN acquiring MTA aircrafts for Maritime role. I know it sounds stupid but more money we are spending for foreign arms makes me go crazy.

To fill up numbers, We can buy IL-38s with updated avionics and EW systems. IL-38s are has higher enduracne and cheaper than the P-8s

mayfair

I would rather prefer to see IN acquiring MTA aircrafts for Maritime role. I know it sounds stupid but more money we are spending for foreign arms makes me go crazy.
Assuming you are referring to MTRA, it's still on the drawing board.

To fill up numbers, We can buy IL-38s with updated avionics and EW systems. IL-38s are has higher enduracne and cheaper than the P-8s
If it was only about filling numbers we could have opted for upgraded Tu-142s. The bear is awesome.

Articles